Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: My favorite part of the Thanksgiving holiday is..., 1 by gessiegail

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gessiegail

In reply to: My favorite part of the Thanksgiving holiday is...

Forum: Voting Booth

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My favorite part of the Thanksgiving holiday is...
gessiegail wrote:
I haven't even been to the grocery store yet and I have 3 adult kids coming in with familes totaling 12 for three days (LOL). We have so much fun also with the greater extended family 'down the road'.

But I can never forget those who have a much rougher time during the holidays. Yesterday morning I skipped church and went to a prison about an hour away to visit a prisoner I met through a church ministry about 5 years ago. I knew he was blue with the holidays coming up and no family to see him. He is only 28 years old and has been in prison since he was 14 because Texas tried him as an adult.

I don't usually share personal matters like this but I have to share something with you. He had sent me this sketch that a fellow prisoner had drawn. When I looked at the picture, i thought to myself, "Gee, this is good but I look so young......wonder where he got the picture of me to sketch this". It turns out that my prisoner friend had kept a picture I gave him 5 years ago.

**They all call me Nana which is what the grands call me!