Do you opt for paper sacks, plastic bags, or ____ ?

Richmond, VA
There are a total of 426 votes:

I prefer paper if the merchant offers them
(89 votes, 20%)
Red dot

I use plastic bags and reuse them around the house
(176 votes, 41%)
Red dot

I choose plastic bags and recycle them
(49 votes, 11%)
Red dot

I bring my own bags or totes
(72 votes, 16%)
Red dot

Other?
(40 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Wow, how cool to live in a state with a clue!

LOL. Wish we did.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Hooray, SF!

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh yeah, go SF..... and Oakland, CA too because they doing the same.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

and Annapolis, MD. I think I'll start shopping there more often now.

"Hello shopkeeper, I would like to reward you with my hard-earned $$$$. Please, use *my* bag..."

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

:-)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hold that thought ... I think I just heard on the local news that "they" did NOT vote in the no-plastic-bags law in Annapolis... If true, then I'm keeping my $$$.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

You can cut the plastic bags into 4" strips. Bend a coat hanger into a circle. Tie the strips onto the coat hanger. Fill it up tightly with plastic strips. You now have a Christmas wreath, which you can embellish with balls, or snow, or glitter, etc. They are really neat, and cost effective.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I shop at Aldi stores too, and they not only offer bags for purchase, but you can bring your own (more recyling at work).

Bravo to CA for their new 'no plastic bags' law.

Curious...if more stores (in other states) offered the biodegradable 'plastic' bags and charged consumers for them (vendors are complaining that they're expensive) would you, as consumers be willing to pay for them?

I've been thinking about it, and if it were just a couple of pennies per bag, I really don't think I'd mind.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't mind bringing my own bag, and I wouldn't mind paying a small fee if I needed to buy a bag on occasion. But I would strongly prefer that to come about because businesses and consumers agree it's a preferable arrangement, rather than it coming in the form of another tax.

The ones at Aldi are like paper for 2 cents, and larger plastic 5 cents. Sometimes I buy one, and sometimes I don't. They also have cardboard boxes you can use for free. So however I feel, is how I do.

somewhere, PA

I find you have to pay attention when you are ringing out in the self-checking station.
Tonight I was all checked out and focussed on paying when I noticed the clerk
was bagging into plastic. I had rush over with my canvas bags and then the person
in line thought I was done. She crowded over to the checkout station. It all
worked out but it obviously isn't the norm to have a customer w/their own bags yet
around here.

Tam

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Yet another reason I love the self checkouts.

I'm pretty fussy about my groceries. Put all the non-edibles
together, all the colds, all the cans, all the cleaners, etc.

Love to do it myself.

:-)

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Wuvie I do that too, all cold stuff goes up first to be bagged together, then cans, a few boxes to even things out, etc,etc. I did my Thanksgiving shopping on Monday with my 3 canvas bags, the cashier bagged as she rung up - but she managed to pack every single item into those 3 bags - not necessarily in the order I would have, but no extra bags were used! I could only carry one at a time!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm really fussy and carry my own bags. Some clerks are getting used to me. I pack so that unpacking is efficient and if necessary, left until the next day if I get home too late. If I take care at the store, unpacking takes no time at all, but the way things are set up, I feel I have to hurry for the next person crowding up in line before I've even paid,since I'm packing my own groceries. Like robots...the person in front moved, next person must move. No thought or observation.

I've only seen one self checkout one time and I'm not sure where it was - a Wally's World somewhere a couple of years ago.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Ooh, I discovered something yesterday!

(sorry to get off track for a second)

At our local mart, there is a plastic thing in the side of
the checkout. Apparently it is a slide out table for those
in wheelchairs or otherwise so they may have a table
to write checks on. You just push one side in and the
table rolls out the other side.

I did not understand what it was, under the impression
it was designed to be a marker for the next customer.
As my sister in law was checking out ahead of me, I
jokingly pulled the little table out and stood behind it,
making a comment about the marker for three feet of
personal space.

It was like a light bulb went off. Yes! That is what we need,
since manners are often left at home. We have a bar to
separate our groceries, why not a bar to mark personal space?

LOL. I thought it was a good idea. Stay back, let me check
out at my own pace. If you are in a hurry, kindly step to another
line. When I'm done, I'll fold the bar back into the counter and
you may proceed.

good idea, Wuvie.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.