2 Cactus Zinnia Mixed- Zinnia haageana
1 Chilean Glory Flower- Eccremocarpus scaber
1 Golden Cheer Sunflower- Helianthus annuus
2 Lemon Gem Marigold- Tagetes signata
2 Tangerine Gem Marigold- Tagetes signata
3 Tropical Milkweed Mixed- Asclepias curassavica
2 Heavenly Blue MG- Ipomaea tricolor

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lovely job on the labeling! My only suggestion would be to include the year on any future labels. It's a great help to have the latin name... that way, I can look up the zone and any other cultural requirements for the plant without guessing which "sunflower" looking plant it might be. :-)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Post Office is closed on Monday for Veteran's Day.

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks critter, that is an excellent suggestion!

Melody, thanks for the reminder. I was reminded just yesterday and you can see how well it stuck in my pea-brain. Tuesday it is!

Cathy

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Sounds like everyone is getting their seeds tagged and bagged right on time! Please be sure to check the very first post in this thread as I am updating it whenever I receive envelopes!

I received Kelly's (kelboindy) envie today! :-) This is her very first seed swap. :-) Glad she chose to join us!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I am sending tomatoes, Zinnias, Plantain, Four O'Clocks, Lantana, Little Joe Pye Weed, and Butterfly Dahlias. I probably have other stuff, but those are the ones that haven't been mentioned above too many times.

I have lots of butterfly bushes, but I have to mail the seed to Becky on Tuesday and I think it's a week from being harvest able. I also have Rudbeckias, but there must be something wrong with them because the butterflies ignore them.

The funny thing is I was hoping for Hoo-satch Daisy and it's not on anybody's list. (maybe because I can't spell it? What about Porterweed? Those are the two I thought would be most likely to be on people's lists!

On the Dahlias --
I have some single dahlias -- tall ones about 40" tall. I know you guys won't believe me, but the Monarchs were crazy for them this summer...they were right behind the many-petaled Zinnias in popularity. I am calling them Butterfly Dahlias, but they are seed from Bishop's Children.
I'm trying to find a photo, but I have 100s from the summer and they are all file numbers that the camera assigns, not descriptive, so it's taking me a while.

Suzy

Oh, Heavens! I thought Hoo-satch (Huisache) was the Latin name, but it's the common name. Try Amblyolepsis - Butterfly Daisy,
Please disregard. But what happened to Porterweed?

Suzy

Suzy, I have never grown Porterweed from seed, mainly because plants are so readily available and it volunteers like crazy. It never even occurred to me!
Cathy

LOL! You should be in Indiana and reading these lists -- we don't have any of it! Porterweed will be an annual here, and even though it's a shrub where you come from, it will be a single stalked skinny little thing here. We would need to group 5 seedlings together to even get their attention! Red and Blue would both be popular to those of us where 20 degrees is a warm winter day. I know it would be rare and wondrous for me to have!

Speaking of rare and wondrous, I think my Lantana is exotic and I suppose you all are yawning, is that true? If so, I can save it for a different swap. I don't need 35 or 40 different seeds anyway, so I don't really need to send it.

I also notice no one has common blue Violets on their send lists. How come? The pods are just getting ready to pop, probably some are opening today, and I think the Frits use it as a host. I'd love violets from around the country because I think each area has its own specialty species and they'd all be sort of different.

It's interesting isn't it? The butterflies have to change diets as they cross the USDA hardiness zones.

Suzy

Yes they definitely have an interesting food pyramid! Violets appeal to me, have grown a few in the past, but they seem to come and go. I think they melt in August, then a stray seed will pop up somewhere new, such a nice suprise!
I have grown lantana in the past, don't have any right now. It does grow like a weed here, which is good in the wild butterfly area. You can prune the heck out of it and it comes right back!
Such fun!
Cathy

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Suzy
,I had several Variegated Fritillaries this year, but none used the passionvine. I hope you send in some violets! I would love to have some. So I am guessing they would prefer violets. I'd like to try the ones you have.
Lantana is a great plant everywhere. I have a couple different kinds. Someone would like to have the seeds I bet! Can't hurt to send them.

debnes

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Uh-Oh! Ya'll have done beautiful jobs of your packages. I'm afraid I'm a confirmed hardcore recycler so I used left over halloween flyers for making envelopes and my labels are hand-written with no culture info. I use to be stickler about culture info on my packages but I handle and send out so many seeds ...I got lazy. I don't have a problem with no cultural info myself because it makes me do search on plants then I learn way more info than what would fit on a package anyway and I'm trying to be as Green as pssible.

P

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

As long as the latin name is on the packet (and knowing you, I'm sure it is), the information is easy enough to look up in PF.

Maybe when we do an official thread with what we've sent and our wish lists from those lists, we could post cultural info and additional info about the seeds we sent.

For example... The Asclepias incarnata seeds I'm sending are from plants I grew from seed that came from 'Ice Ballet' plants, according to the trade packet label. I think that's a hybrid variety that won't necessarily grow out true, although my plants did turn out with pale, cream colored blooms. That would mean that my plants are F2 plants, I think, so the seeds I sent are F3 seeds from 'Ice Ballet'. I had no idea how to put all that on the packet label, so I just wrote, "Pale cream blooms (‘Ice Ballet’ parent)."

But the above information might be useful to include on a thread somewhere about the seeds we've sent in.

I love doing the research on new seeds! Sunday morning are usually spent on the computer, looking at online seed and plant catalogs, like today. I found some new seeds, of course, that I put on my wish list!
I can't wait to get my return package of seeds, I will be on the lookout for the postman over the next couple of weeks!
Cathy

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Cathy
Seed Catalogs!!! ACK!!! Slowly I turned...step by step........(Old 3 Stooges bit)...they're already rolling in and I feel my resolve not to over do the ordering for next year, melting away.
I just did an inventory on ONE box of seeds.....close to 200 pkg...16 alone were different var. of penstemons and another count of just a large baggie of maters seeds to date: 42 commercial pkgs and nearly 20 pkgs.of seeds I got in trade plus I have a list to order from Baker Creek. I think I finally went around the bend!

SAVE ME!

P

Welcome to the seed swap, Suzy!! :-) Interesting about the violets. Those will only grow here in the late winter/early spring. Too hot in my zone, but such cute little blooms! They are one of the flowers/plants I covet! lol

ROTFL, Peggy!!! I have to admit, I myself, drool over the plant catalogs! But all those little packets of seeds sure do add up! Yikes! Almost my entire garden beds came from seeds from swaps here on DG! I've become the "Frugal Gardener"! LOL!

What I was thinking about doing IF (and that is a BIG "if") I have the time ...

I was going to list the seeds sent in for this swap and try to find an internet link with information about sowing and growing each species of plant and add that link to the list. Hopefully, I will have time to do that. I may hold off posting the seeds until Sunday, that way if some envies arrive a day late, I have them covered! :-)

I plan to add Porterweed (purple and coral) seeds and I can add some lantana seeds too. I have several cultivars of it. The ONLY thing is that the seeds were taken from last Fall/Winter. I would like to think that they are viable, but I just don't know. If any of you want to give it a go, I will add seeds for Lantana to this swap, too! I am still relatively new to gardening and some of these seeds I have never tried growing to see what the germination rate is. But I can throw some seed packets into the mix if you wanna try. Basically you have NOTHING to lose and might get a plant you want! LMK what y'all think!

Bigred,
I'm around the bend, down the hill and in the gully! I was a recovering seed addict, or so I thought, but I fell off the wagon a couple months back.
A few years ago, I sold my little business, which was a small herb shop and plant nursery (yes, the seeds and plants had pushed themselves out of house and home). I even gave away (gasp) my seed collection of all sorts of herbs from around the world. What was I thinking?
I had been buying plants over the past 2 years, but the seed fairy sprinkled me with potting mix and I've started collecting seeds again. Yeehaw, seed catalogs, here I come!
Cathy

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are the seeds that I have packaged. Dont know if I have enough info on the packs (they were kinda hard to write on). Next time I will make labels like the professional seed collectors on this thread. LOL

3 packs......Texas Star Hibiscus, red http://onaleeseeds.bizhosting.com/texas_star_red_scarlet_hibiscus_seeds_bog_or_garden_plant_hibiscus_coccineus.html
3 packs......Texas star Hibiscus, white http://onaleeseeds.bizhosting.com/texas_star_white_hibiscus_seeds_bog_or_garden_plant_hibiscus_coccineus_alba_.html
4 packs......Moonflower http://onaleeseeds.bizhosting.com/white_moonflower_vine_ipomoea_alba_seeds_huge_flowers_.html
2 packs......Asclepias Incarnata white
3 packs.......Aristolochia Serpentaria, Virginia Snakeroot
5 packs.......Blue butterfly Pea vine http://onaleeseeds.bizhosting.com/rich_royal_blue_butterfly_pea_vine_seeds_clitoria_ternatea_.html
5 packs.......Asclepias Curassavica http://onaleeseeds.bizhosting.com/scarlet_red_butterfly_weed_asclepias_seeds_.html

chris

This message was edited Nov 11, 2007 10:45 AM

Looks awesome, Chris!!! :-) Hmmm ... I didn't know Texas Star Hibiscus came in white blooms! Looks like one I might want! LOL! What is the botanical (scientific) name for the Moonflower? There are several plants by that name.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

I don't think I have enough seeds to swap as I just started saving seeds last summer. But I will try to see if I have enough. I have two varieties of Cone Flowers and the Monarchs were happy on them this summer. I'll check out my other seeds and get back to you becky. I want to trade seeds so much.I may be too late this year,but next year for sure. What Fun!!!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Posy I am giving away most of my seed without requiring a trade. Go ahead and send in what you have. We all love to help new people get started

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Donna. Now I can't find the thread that told how to clean them.Can anyone point me in the right direction? I may be more trouble than I'm worth. Sorry! Oh! I can just look on the net. Those coneflower seeds were kinda buggy-looking. I have never cleaned seeds before.

Posyblossom - Send me what you can. I don't want you to have to drop out of this swap because you may not have enough packs of seeds! And Donna and Tabasco are both giving seeds and not wanting anything in return but maybe a particular pack or two of seeds. :-) And Deb sent enough for an army of Butterfly Lovin' Folks! We got ya covered!

Also, if you are not sure about what the seeds look like on the flowerhead, then just stick a flower head or two in a packet. Some seeds are very small too and it is better to send the whole flowerhead than try to separate such teeny seeds! :-) Just be sure to mark the packets with the common and scientific names and your DG name as well. :-)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm not wanting a package back for every one that I sent either. I've got a nice selection of natives and wild things.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Thank you all. I will do my best. I harvested Ruby Star Coneflower yesterday and "cleaned the seeds". So even if I can't get any others I will send them out Tuesday. I think the post office is closed for Veterans Day today. I am so excited to try this:)))

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Be kind this is my first experience with this type of swap. Here is my list, a lot already mentioned, but it is what it is.

Nectar
2 bags - West Texas Mist Flower Conoclinium greggii http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53449/
4 bags - Opium Poppy, Breadseed Poppy, Lettuce Leaf Poppy (pink) Papaver somniferum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/25783/
3 bags - Black-Eyed Susan, Orange Coneflower Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53325/
2 bags - Cutleaf Coneflower Rudbeckia laciniata 'Herbstsonne' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/647/
3 bags - Mealy Cup Sage Salvia farinacea 'Silver White' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/72589/

Host
3 bags - Frostweed, Indian Tobacco Verbesina virginica http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62734/
2 bags - Maximillian Sunflower, Prairie Sunflower
Helianthus maximilianii 'Santa Fe' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/74948/
3 bags - Cowpen Daisy Verbesina encelioides http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/57814/

I will be mailing Tuesday!!!

This message was edited Nov 12, 2007 8:05 PM

Sheila,
I think your list is fantastic, I don't have any of those!
This is so cool!
Cathy

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Me either!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Sheila I think your list is wonderful too. The link to pf's is great!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

sorry.... double post..

This message was edited Nov 12, 2007 8:53 AM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Becky~ Do you need more TX Mist?... I didn't send any in the original box, but I have about 10 pkgs worth I can mail out tomorrow. I also have lots of Frostweed.
LMK-ASAP

debnes

Deb - I hate to have you spend anymore on postage than you already have. If you want, then YES! send them. I will definitely need some of BOTH! Neither sprout very well for me this year. I think it was the heat and the drought. But I am seeing volunteers pop up here and there now.

And something funny I discovered about seeds ... I planted a Black eyed susan vine and none sprouted. The seeds were planted in the Spring. I now have one vine which I guess prefers the cooler weather and decided to germinate. So even if you plant seeds for something and don't see any results right away, you might just be surprised months later! LOL! I sure was!!

Georgetown, IN(Zone 6a)

I would love to try that foostweed indian tobacco, Sheila, You have some good ones.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

I am packing up my seeds and am wondering how many seeds I should add to a packet? My envelopes are kinda large and 30 seeds looks like nothing in them. Any suggestions?

Edited to add that these are hibiscus seeds.

This message was edited Nov 12, 2007 6:57 PM

30 seeds is plenty per pack! Don't worry about the size of the envie. It will be fine!
~Becky~

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Given that hibiscus is a large perennial/shrub, 30 seeds sounds like more than plenty to me! :-)

I think I had an average of 20 seeds per package depending on the variety. Some of the little seeds, I just plopped a bunch in! Extras to share with friends.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great, glad someone will want what I have. I know I am sure drooling over some of the ones I have seen. Some of my packs are way more than 30 seeds and could be split if needed.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ok.....thanks everyone for the reassurance. Just didn't want to seem stingy but I don't have too many seeds to share. Here is what I am sending:

Hibiscus calyphyllus - lemon yellow rosemallow - nectar - 5 packets
Celosia argentea var. spicata - wheatstraw celosia - nectar - 5 packets
Passiflora incarnata - maypop passion vine - nectar, host - 5 packets
Morning glory - blue with pink - nectar - 5 packets

I am planning on getting these in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks! Kim

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You have twice the required Kim! This is going to be fun!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.