How is your harvest?

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have veggie pics to share? I would love to see some inspiring shots of what vegetables were or are still growing in your gardens. Here are some inspiring rutabagas. They are really big. I put one in a soup but most are still in the ground.

Thumbnail by bebop2
North Augusta, ON

The only veggies I planted this year was tomatoes....an they were frosted last week....I can't seem to get into eating veggies, so I have resorted to V8......I hope somebody posts some veggie pics for you......I do miss them.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

These have been picked now. I steamed one for my lunches this week and the others are decorating the kitchen table.

Thumbnail by AYankeeCat
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Pretty colors. Mine were just the solid acorn squash (all picked now).

Thumbnail by bebop2
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

The end of my garden is - as we speak - on top of my stove simmering in a Brunswick stew. I did have some really big peppers this year (all were supposed to be red or yellow, but only one so far has actually turned red), so I took a shot of those along with 4 of my 16 jars of our wild Concord grape jelly......

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

....and here's the rest of my garden......LOL

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Reminds me of Michaela's hardpan - hardpot!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

You got it, Victor!! But it was yummy! LOL

North Augusta, ON

That stew looks yummy...what's all in it?

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

How much of the stew came from the garden?
This little potato guy was so cute I posed him with the grownups when we were digging potatoes the other day. By the way, they are Yukon Gold.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Bebop - love your little golden guy! I grew Yukon Golds last year....love them! I usually do those and red norlands.

ThreeG - Let's see (no real recipe - just whatever I have left plus some meat). This year it has red norlands, corn, peas, green beans, onions (walla wallas), tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, thyme, garlic, black pepper, chicken, hamburger, meatballs . (bought ones this year)....I think that's it......oops - forgot the mushrooms, but those were bought too. The herbs and veggies are mine, but not the meats! I don't measure anything, so it comes out however it comes out. LOL

North Augusta, ON

Sounds wonderful!!! A lot like what my Mom would call "leftover stew". They are always the best!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I cleaned out most of my garden a few weeks ago. I still had a ton of squash left in it along with swiss chard and brussel sprouts. I harvested the rest of the squash yesterday, here's my bounty.

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Ooooo - you got Swiss Chard. I didn't get a single leaf this year. :( I just planted some under the furnace pipes - maybe it will stay warm enough there that I will get some yet.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I love Swiss Chard, my favorite one to grow is the Bright Lights. I still have 2 rows left to eat before the frost kills it.

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Pixie, that's a great squash yield. I grow Bright Lights too and we are still eating it. Earlier in the summer when I picked a bunch of it the colors looked so pretty that I shot this.

Thumbnail by bebop2

I grow bright lights, too - when it grows. Although I bought seeds for a chard with yellow stems - I think that the yellow tastes the best. I do have some Bull's Blood beets from which I steal greens - not only are the beets sweet - the greens are delicious and they look pretty in the garden.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I still have tons of brussel sprouts too......I think im the only one who grows them or eats them on the N.E. forum. My DD loves them and my youngest DS always called them 'baby cabbages' when he was little. He still loves them too!

I take the little brussel sprouts (raw) and soak them in italian dressing for awhile in the 'frig and make "pickled sprouts" - yummy.

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

We are growing Jade Cross Brussels sprouts for the first time in a few years. They are still going strong in the garden. We haven't eaten any yet. Here is a pic of one that fell over. Unfortuntely, the closeup points out a little damage from either cabbage worms or slugs, not sure which, we have them both! In general in an organic garden, the closer yet get, the less perfect things look. But they are still delicious.

Thumbnail by bebop2
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

As long as they taste great and there is no chemicals.......im all for it!
Now this is not an edible harvest but I was moving a few lilies yesterday and was shocked at how big the bulb got. I have only seen them this big when I order from Buggycrazy.......but this is not one of hers. It is one I put in a few years ago and it was 1/4 this size when I planted it.

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Do you have a nuclear power plant nearby? *chuckle*

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Nope but I have all the bunnie poop I want.....guess it must be good for the lilies.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Celeste - great squash crop!! And that humongous thing looks unearthly!! LOL

ThreeG - your Mom's stew is likely very similar....that is the idea of it....clean out the rest of the garden. Oh, and I forgot to add the little baby carrots that were left in the garden.......can't believe I skipped right over those!

Bebop - your swiss chard looks so perfect in color and texture! Isn't it as delicious as it is pretty?! And I do love brussel sprouts too! Nobody in my family likes them like I do though.

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm reviving this thread so I can show off my beets. I was processing them yesterday and they were so beautiful after I got them peeled I just had to take a picture.

Thumbnail by bebop2

I'm eating Bull's Blood beets and greens in my lunch this week. If you haven't tried Bull's Blood, it has a beautiful, dark red leaf and some of the sweetest beets I've ever eaten. Also having some of the compost pile squash along with the beets on saffron rice - saffron is from my garden, too. I hate to think of winter when I have to eat someone else's veggies.

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

I've always grown Detroit Dark Red beets. They are very reliable here. Maybe I should give Bull's Blood a try.

These all went into Autumn Vegetable soup yesterday. All from my garden except the celery and red peppers.

Thumbnail by bebop2

Do you deliver?

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

That would be a long trip.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Oh, Yumm, Bebop! That looks great! So colorful and healthy looking, and I'll bet your soup was delicious. Do you do a red base or a chicken base or something else?

Cat - I've never grown saffron. Do you do it from seed or plants? I love saffron rice and would grow the saffron too if I could figure it out. It is very expensive to buy as a seasoning! Your lunch sounds yummy too with all those good fresh veggies. It's funny - the biggest selling point for me in spending the winter in Fla. was the ability to grow my own veggies year around.

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi DonnieBrook. It's vegetarian so the stock is water. The veggies, especially the tomatoes, flavor it. Also herbs: dill, basil, parsley and oregano. And then there is also lemon juice and soy sauce. It turned out well. Fanatic photographer that I've become, I had to take a picture of the finished product.

Thumbnail by bebop2

Looks yummy!

DonnieBrook - saffron is the stamins of the fall-blooming crocus, Crocus Sativus. It grows from corms. The problem for you might be that it blooms in October here in 6b - so you might be in Florida by then.

When should I call it quits on my red peppers? They're still going. Are they okay after frosts?

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

I usually don't have much success with sweet peppers in this zone, occasionally in a very good year. I do fine with some of the hot peppers though. I have always picked mine at the first frost warning.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Bebop - that looks wonderful!! Your presentation was very colorful too!

Thanks, Cat, for that info on saffron. I had no idea that was the source! I wonder if I can grow some here in Fla. Could be tricky to know when to plant them for a fall bloom here - given the hot summer months.

Victor - I'd suggest harvesting your peppers before a freeze. I had a couple of nice ones finish turning by putting them in the window before we left. The variety I bought down here is called "Big Bertha". It is a red bell pepper that grows very large and sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing how it does. I'll plant it tomorrow.

Thanks. We did have two morning frosts and they seem unaffected so maybe I'll let them go until a hard freeze is forecast. Any cooler there Louise?

Saffron sometimes needs to be in the ground a whole year before it blooms - so I think growing saffron in Fla won't work.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for that info, Cat! I think I'll take your suggestion and leave it alone for this year!

Victor - it has cooled off and is quite nice here today. I'm so glad to have the windows open and the fresh air throughout the house. I'm also glad to hear that your peppers have not been affected by the frosts you've had so far. That's good for me to know for next year in NH.

Since this is the "harvest" thread, I'm attaching a shot of our future harvest of the best tangelo juice around. I can't wait for these to ripen so we can get to squeezing! Nothing like the juice off this tree! All of our citrus trees look good this year. Ours are among the few trees left in our neighborhood. Florida had a horrible program of going around and cutting down a lot of citrus trees within an affected area of citrus canker, which blew over across the River to our neighborhood after one of the hurricanes. The cut-down line stopped on the opposite side of our street, and everyone except a very few of us lost their beautiful old citrus trees. Our side of the street is the only one left with any at all. Then, after they cut down all the trees, they determined that it wouldn't help anyway and abandoned the program. I feel so bad for a few of the elderly neighbors who will never have enough time to have new trees reach maturity. We feel so fortunate!! And, of course, we share a lot of the fruit we are lucky enough to have with our neighbors.

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

Very nice Louise. Nothing like fresh citrus!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.