Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

First time bloom for Silver Memories

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Last for today: Voodoo Magic

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

They are all very pretty, Cat, but Silver Memories lights my fire.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Very pretty!

Karen--we're going to be warming up too, I was thinking about starting my fall planting this weekend, but then I looked at the forecast and we're going to be back up around 90 or so for a few days next week, so I think I'll hold off!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gosh, that sounds good. We are getting to cool now. I think it is Tuesday that our low temp will be in the upper thirties.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

All lovely! Although I've gotta say that I'm also going with Silver Memories. This one is always on my list, but for some reason, I've never picked it up - gotta change that soon!

This has been such a busy day, it's good to sit down a minute to post some pictures. My youngest daughter is a high school senior this year and today was senior pictures, shopping before and after for "college interview clothes", then I just dropped her off for the homecoming dance tonight. My oldest daughter has been at SF State for three years now, and I've forgotten what a whirlwind the senior year activities are - I'm getting old - when did that happen?

Oh well, first up is Belle de Jour with a little moth friend.

Thumbnail by amarantha00

Next is Cinnamon Girl hanging out down low.

Thumbnail by amarantha00

Electric Blue is a lovely combination of hot pink and purple today.

Thumbnail by amarantha00

Black Jack had a beautiful bloom - sadly, this picture isn't showing it very well..

Thumbnail by amarantha00

Mango Tango hanging out with some Brug buds...

Thumbnail by amarantha00

Voodoo Queen had two of these great blooms today.

Thumbnail by amarantha00

Georgia's Thunder is on her third day and is still beautiful.

Thumbnail by amarantha00

And last, but certainly not least, is my favorite flower of all, the lovely bloom, Alyssa :-)

Okay, yeah, I'm probably just a BIT prejudice, but I swear I don't know how in the world this ugly old mom ended up with two such beautiful and talented daughters!

Thumbnail by amarantha00
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Alyssa is lovely! Love her dress, too. Also like your spiderwe.b curtains and door hanger....and the other decorations.
PS, you are right. Alyssa is the prettiest of them all :)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Pretty girl, Karen. I hope she had a great time at Homecoming. Is it windy at your place? I see that Calif. is having some wind a fire problems again.

Thanks for the daughter compliments, guys. She had a wonderful time at the dance :-)

Well, our power just went back on for the first time today and these winds, at 65+ mph, have just slaughtered my gardens. My previously glorious Brugs are nothing more than blowing sticks, all the leaves have blown off more than 60% of my beautiful hibiscus, and I think our Jacaranda tree isn't going to make it through this night. My previously beautiful yard and plants, my pride and joy (besides said daughters) are in ruins. I have (had) two large lovely bloodleaf bananas and a corner full of cannas that are awful, you can't even tell what kind of plant they use to be. There are huge trees down here everywhere in the area, big pines and eucalyptus, with major large branches off of all trees blocking major streets. No traffic lights in a few mile radius. There are fires all over So Cal right now and two pretty close to us - the Devore and the Glen Helen fires. I think we'll be okay though since the huge fires we had about three years ago (and came one house away) pretty much burned everything in our area. It' s supposed get worse tonight, so cross your fingers for me that we don't lose even more. I just feel sick to my stomach about this day :-(

karen

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Will be thinking about you Karen. I was afraid you might be near the fires. Be careful and remember, things can be replaced....but you can't.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Karen, I am so sorry! That is so awful, I would just be a total wreck if that happened to me. I am crossing all my fingers and toes that the wind calms down and you don't lose anything else. Sending you a big hug too!

Thanks Brugie and Liz. You guys KNOW how much I love my hibiscus (obessive, me, no way) - I am just so depressed. Granted, I imagine they all (or at least most) will probably make it ultimately and grow new leaves on their currently sad branches, there will definitely be no more blooms for me this year unless the "luck of the Irish" kicks in quickly. We did manage to get a couple large potted hibiscus (Cinn. Girl & Black Dragon) and several plumies close to the house on the patio, and they still have some of their leaves, but the majority of my potted plants are up on that hill sitting area I've shown in pictures, and my patio seems to be currently functioning as a wind tunnel. What there probably should have been a picture of was me running outside in the heavy wind this morning, righting or trying to move those with broken ceramic pots into mop buckets, and also looking like a monkey on crack with my watering can trying to at least get some water on the babies. I think I got watered more than they did though :( I'm going to be afraid to go to sleep tonight.

I don't know how much you guys heard about our fires several years ago, but that evacuation is something that is still very fresh in our minds.

karen, who is currently shaking her first at mother nature...

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Hang in there Karen. Maybe she will clean up her act and let you and your place rest easily. I imagine there are a lot of people out there feeling just like you do. How far from you is the fire now?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't remember much about the fires from a few years ago, I didn't know anyone who lived down there then so I knew there were fires but didn't pay too much attention to exactly where they were. I was just talking a few minutes ago with a friend of mine who works in Malibu, and the fires got one of the warehouses or something at his company today, and if the winds get too bad tonight it could get the whole office, hopefully not though! He gets a few days off from work now until they can get the fire put out and the power back on.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh Karen, what horrible news about those fires and the wind. I can associate with the wind; it really does a number on your plants. Mother Nature is really in a twit right now isn't she!

Take care of yourself and your family, the plants will come back. I was just reading in the HVH newsletter about :Synergy", a product they carry that is good for stressed plants. I wonder if it works on stressed people. LOL

Hang in there, we are all praying for you.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Karen,
Order the synergy! It does work. Prune your babies, because now is the perfect time to do that (well, after the winds diedown). Then use the synergy, as directed, for about a week. It really makes a difference and you will see less stressed plants right away, and new leaves alot faster than you think. Take it from someone who knows!

I don't get to hear the news too much, because the tv's at work are on a local news channel, that only gives local news. Hurricane winds, for gosh sakes.

I feel horrible for you, but I have all the faith in the world that your babies will revive, and look even prettier than before.

The important thing is, how are you and your family holding up?
Cat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.