Underwater Gardens #6

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

My dad would always say...".We have plenty of room, will hang you on a nail or make a Methodist pallet". Being a Baptist, never did find out what a M pallet was. Beautiful day.
Pure yellow butterflies are everywhere.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Most of the times, visiting family members from Québec city swung by Montréal and camped at our house. It seems there was always someone sleeping over. Ours was not a quiet house. My mom and dad were part of large families. My grandmother would always say: as long as there's a few sheets of newspaper in the house, we can make someone a bed by the fireplace. She was just kidding. We never had anyone sleeping on newspaper. There was a seemingly inexhaustible supply of cots and rollaways in the attic. Comfort food and warm blankets were never in short supply, either. Now, as for methodist pallets, I wouldn't know. I'm from a catholic family. Although we have forked big bucks for a great mattress set, I still sleep better in a chair on directly on the floor.

Sylvain.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

All this talk about bunking out on cots, floors, newpapers (!), etc, makes me want to have a sleepover! Bunch of girl talk all night long, painting toenails, braiding hair... - guys, you can even join in if you want to! Could be fun!!

What you in the doghouse for this time John???

Okay Star Wars Fans - glance at this Montipora quickly, then look away. Tell me what you see...

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

HO HO HO HO>...HA HA HA HA....Jaba de hut

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

yep.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Bingo!!!! Saw that and just had to have my own Jaba! Pretty cool, huh?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sure is ...

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

Cool shot, so many times formations underwater take on other identities like you have shown here...thanks for sharing...

"Smile so we can see you!"
j

Thumbnail by caribblue
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Awesome John! That sure does look like a pair of lips.

Pretty fish Sylvain. Love that yellow stripe.

Shari, your Jada looks like he belongs in a whole 'nother dimension.

Good to see these underwater shots. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Janet

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

John, now that would make a cool halloween mask!

Janet, that IS a pair of lips....look above them and you can see his eyes too... a scorpionfish is a master of camoflauge, blends right in his surroundings....you can get so close to them, they don't move...poisonous fish too...you dont want to be pickin this beauty up....

j

Here is another scorpionfish, different angle....

Thumbnail by caribblue
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Man o Man. Not gonna catch me trying to take this guys picture. John, you are one brave mon.

Nah, these guys are harmless unless you fool with 'em....or step on them!!! sometimes it's wise to look where you put your feet, even in shallow water.....things that look like rocks can sting!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Tired tonight. Crew cut down the second tree in two weeks. Fruitless mulberrys we planted as a switch 41 years ago....supposed to live 20 years.....we showed "them". They are not completely dead....not completely alive. Have been planting other trees the last few years to take up the slack and needed to get them gone so the others could take over.
Like loosing an old, dependable friend. Now they do the cutting and top cleaning.....I do the detail work....too picky. Fifteenth of November is average first frost....maybe yes, maybe no. If you're not prepared with the tropicals.....it will come on the first. Goin back out to finish the last little bit....company comin tomorrow to watch Cowboys with Mike....my girlfriend and I could care less so we will be outside. Mike is cookin right now.....pork butt for pulled pork with sour slaw. Wish ya'll could be here to join us.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Now that one must be a frogfish! Whew, those guys are UGly! But an amazing shot that's for sure! Here is a Hawaiian Bristletooth juvenile...they are usually more orange and purple...but this one is pretty washed out...sorry.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Shari, does it change color as it gets older? For example, the Rock Beauty starts off all yellow . As it grows, a black patch appears and the fish ends up all black with a yellow head and yellow tail....Angelfish are the coolest!!!

Thumbnail by caribblue

Shari, those previous fish I posted are Scorpionfish....just as ugly as a longlure frogfish.here is a red variety...

Thumbnail by caribblue
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I remember you id'd that other one as a scorpionfish, but I was sure that the lip closeup was a frogfish, or maybe a stonefish. Wow! Guess I need to go back to the books! The Bristletooths are very strange, one of the species that change completely from juvenile to adult. The juveniles are purple and orange with the funny diagonal looking stripes of purple on the orange body. The adults turn dark olive brown with pale greenish horizontal pinstripes. Completely different!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Think about how the mother fish feels. Sorry..so silly.
Thank you very much for the underwater beauty.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow!! That red one is bright. lol. I had to blink and look again.

Cool pics everyone!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Great pics!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Great pic (especially the first one) of the scorpion fish ! Never have seen one in red, I can't imagine what it hides in to be camoflaged with that beautiful color - red corals?

It sits there, looking like its surroundings (red coral) because it waits for its prey to come within an inch of its "nose" so it can suck it in whole and eat it. Actually, it will eat anything that will fit in its cavernous mouth. It happens in a fraction of a fragment of an instant. The observer, the prey is there and it's gone. To the fish, it's gulp, delicious... next! The only part of the fish that moves is its mouth. Many fish who feed this way use this same mechanism with great success.

Here's another parrotfish by the snorkeling trail marker at Trunk Bay (St.Johns, USVI). I never noticed until right now but everywhere I went, I saw parrotfish: epiphany for me, this morning.

Be good, everyone.
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

I know this has nothing to do with underwater gardens, so I will declare myself severly off-topic. However, for a bit of a laugh, follow this link to my web page and learn something from the Canadian Wildlife Service about wood spiders:

[HYPERLINK@home.comcast.net]

Sylvain.

nuff said,

adios

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Whadayamean "nuff said"?

Was it something I said?

Sylvain.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Huh?

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

I don't understand what's going on....

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I don't think any of us do! Oooohhhhhhh Joooooohhhhhnnnnn!

This thread came to a screeching halt It was also getting rather long in the tooth. Let's start another one and see if we can revive some interest. I'll see you all on the other side of the reef. Follow me to:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/782950/

Sylvain.
Edited twice because, for some reason, I can't spell worth beans this morning.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2007 12:52 PM

This message was edited Oct 22, 2007 1:03 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.