Underwater Gardens #6

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Correct carriblue, and it takes film, that's ASA 3200. - considered an antique by today's digital standards...

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh gosh! I know in my head that it was done, but I just can't imagine film under water...one of those things that blows my synapses .

It's easy! ... it's just reloading underwater that gets a little sticky. :-)

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Ha! ☺

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

My film and processing for the year was over 6,000 US....I am so glad I went digital...the learning curve was tough for me but at least I didn't waste a lot of dosh on film....hated waiting for the images anyhow...now I can't seem to get in the water...soon....need to get some shots off the shot list for the contest....only have a few weeks to get it done....maybe this weekend...

Thumbnail by caribblue

That's about 1/7th what I spent on my darkroom. Got so "into it" I became a photo consultant for professional labs in Fort Lauderdale, (that's when everything was film and windows 95' had just come out.) it used to take 3hrs to scan a negative to a color print and the machine was 3'x4' and about 250lbs, Photoshop was new and used to crash most computers at the time. - I retired the darkroom, its all in boxes now, everything is digital and the companies are phasing out film. Konica no longer makes the 3200.

Nice yellow/ blue mix, you gotta win a prize, - you've got the best of the Caribbean at your doorstep!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Water, have you checked the photos on the threads I bumped today. Lots of carriblue there.

Yes! they're great! .. I'm still trying to figure out how she gets the fish to smile!! :-))

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

John's Katie is a wonder at that...I think she sings to em or something!

John, I love that shot! Hmmmm, sponge and a gorgonian fan coral??? Beautiful! You MUST make time to get your shots in the contest....winners no doubt!!!

And there goes cheerleader Christi again! WaterCan - Christi is everyone's favorite U/W fan! Don't know what we'd do without her!

Watercan, we still have our Beseler enlarger here....did some black and white underwater...kind of fun, time consuming but Katie and I had some fun doing it....don't have the time nor space for another dark room....too bad to! zeiss lenses and such....but, nowadays, anyone with a digital camera and enough bracketing can get some quality images for posting and printing....glad i went digital...still have all the film bodies,,,,glad all my film glass fits the digital....

john

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

He doesn't know I live in the heart of Texas and am a wanna be islander.

Christie, with all the junk we have filled your head with, you already are an islander....

Yes mon, Big up Christie, yuh no awha gwon gal, up ta deh time bwai!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

hahahaha Love it, love it.

if you start replying in patwa, i will worry...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

be cawful...mon....be vewy cawful....

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yep...she's a parrothead! Wish you could all be here for the Swashbuckler's Ball....we would have such a great time!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

John, that's a beaut! What a nice gift for us on your birthday. :-)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Me, too. We would show everyone just what good time is...

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Boy - would we!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Happy birthday, John and many more!

Sylvain.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Great shot, John, and a Belated Happy Birthday, and many more!

Jeanne

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone! Wanted to show this cool fish. The picture is kinda blurry, cuz he was moving very fast, but he is so unusual that I thought you might enjoy it anyway. A juvenile Midnight Snapper:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That is unusual! Cool!

How truly unusual: freaky! I had never heard of a midnight snapper. That usually means they haven't made their way in the aquarium trade. Good for them!

Here is a picture of a school of blue damsels that swam by me at Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas in 2001.

Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That is cool..did you take that Shari? makes me want to go diving

Acually no, lourspolaire, they have them all the time in the pet shop here. They go for around $39, about 3" long.
Found out it costs the same to go diving in Singapore for a week (with airfare) as it does to go diving in Cayman Brac for a week from NY. Now, where did I put those chopsticks from last nights dinner! - Actually that's how I ended up in Figi one time... I was originally heading to Turneffe and then I found out...

My better half doing her safety stop.

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Beautiful picture Sylvain! No Randy, my hubby takes the pics. I can no longer dive - ear issues - so I snorkel above them. I get to see a lot just snorkeling, but my heart is much deeper....ahhh well.

WaterCan (I just cannot get myself to call you WC!) I'm suprised they have them in the pet shop! It is hard to find the juveniles out here, and they are a bit bigger than 3". Are these salt water Midnights that you have seen? That hurts my heart. They surely won't live long, even with that price tag!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ooh..well the bright side is snorkeling is still fun!

I know Islandshari, I used to be a villain years ago and had an 85gallon saltwater tank but in BVI I gazed into a foot of water under the pier of the resort I was staying at and decided I could never duplicate even the simplest of salt water conditions... there are just too many factors! I've been keeping fresh water fish only since then and intend to keep it that way. The fish services in the big cities from here to California remove the dead fish once a week and replace them with new ones so that the offices always have nice tanks, the intent is not to raise them but to show them. I have'nt seen anything you cant get here in the city except for whales and such... I've seen octopus, sharks, Batfish, even live, endangered coral & live sand from your "neck of the woods". - Yep it's the same fish alright... sorry!
" when it comes to money nothing is safe"

cool fish JB, thanks for posting it shari...

wc2, yeah cayman is expensive, but it's close and the price drops a bunch if you stay with someone you know that lives there....whatever

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

WC,
Dive the Caymans, it is wonderful and worth every penny!

:-), Well the good thing is that if I cross the International Dateline I'll be able to post my pics a day ahead of everyone else!! lol!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Ha ha....well Chrissy and I are on the other side....and all it does is cause a time warp...we sleep while you all are posting and vice versa!

If I can ever get family obligations out of the way for more than a six month period, I certainly intend to get to the Caymans! I'm gonna get a big squeezy Caribblue hug and a tour of the waters from John and Katie - and if there is an LP convention anywhere else while I am there, I will hijack all the planes so John can't leave! Ohhhh I can be brutal if needed, tee hee.

Shari you know the pool is always open for you and JB...my friends tom and laurie caught a lunchtime flight out of nc and spent a long weekend...a great birthday....

watercan, you enjoy yourself ing Figi when you get there!! as you stated, Figi can be done cheaper than Cayman but it does take a little longer to get there....have fun...cant wait to see the pics you post from there!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hold on, Hold on. Me first. Already have an invitation. Maybe we could all go at the same time. Poor, poor Katie.

Thanks Cariebblue but been there, done that. I'm heading farther this time. It is a shame that the Carribean is so expensive but then again that's a lesson in exploitation. Very few hard working Americans can even go to St. John's which is an American Territory. I've been very lucky and I know it, I don't take it for granted. The bright side is it will be also a cultural experience as well.

Islandshari, I'll be on JAL going the opposite way... just look for the silly guy waving the camera in the jet that just passed. Take care...

" honey!... where are those chopsticks??...

:-))

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well, I have no desire to go in that direction. Other than Bali, that part of the world just doesn't interest me. Are you guys talking about Fiji? I couldn't figure that one out ...don't know a Figi, so all I could think was you must mean Fiji! I will wave back!

Christi - we'll all meet up there and rent a hut! I think they will be able to handle us, if dear Katie can handle John, I think she can probably chaka with the whole batch of us.☺

Capital idea: fly to the Cayman Islands. We are always hearing about these ridiculous low prices when Spirit comes up with a seat sale. I might swing by the Caymans one of these days.

As for visiting the USVI, I've been to St.Thomas 4 or 5 times when the cruise stopped there. Every time, save one, I headed directly to St.John and Trunk Bay. That was my first caribbean beach. Being from Canada, I thought I had seen beaches in Canada: sand, weeds and freezing water. Well, that's when I learned that a sandy shoreline does not a beach make. Trunk Bay has been listed on National Geographic's list of the 10 most beautiful beaches.

Here's a fish that took a liking to me one day, I don't remember where. Mary had a little lamb... I had a mid-sized blue fish that day.

Be good, all.
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Allentown, PA

Right now is a really reasonable time to book the caymans. I just booked on expedia for the first week of November and the price was a ridiculous $265 per person on delta. Last year the price was $200 more than that. Can't get to Fiji for that price. I've already been to Truk Lagoon and Palau...Price was about $1800 for air fare alone.

Come on down Sheilas!! The water's fine and we have room, inside, in the hammocks, futons,,,,if you come, we will make room....I'm in the doghouse again so there is even more room!!

wateringcans..good luck finding your chopstix, careful you don't poke your snapshot shooting eye out!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.