2007 seeds for postage.

hanna, WY(Zone 4b)

Thanks Leslie, got my envie ready to go. Yvonne

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Is it too late to get in on this? I would lovbe some double spiders or whatever you may have left

Sharon

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Sharon,

You're the one who completes our group.

Yippee. I'm excited to think of all of these getting a chance to grow. Thanks everyone!

Leslie

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

there is a dg'er from england who runs a nursery for a place that is run and occupied by people with handicaps. they grow flowers to help make ends meet. please, oh please, if you have any of these left over let me send her some. i can get you her name and address and when i pay you for the dl's in oct. i could include enough for postage and then would you mail them directly to her?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Mamajack. You need a Phytosanitary Certificate to legally ship seeds overseas

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Jazz, you are just a wealth of info.. :)

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

:) Gee thanks.. :)

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

but i did an international seed trade with this person. i mean we had an organized international trade last year here on daves. are you saying that because if customs chooses to they may confiscate the seeds?

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

I have sent several packages over seeds, a few to South Africa, Italy, England and no problem yet-oh yes, I for to mention Germany. All DGers :o)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

me too...

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes they can. Any type of plant material including seeds can carry disease or pests and they would rather not have other country's problems

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Boy am I glad you all brought this up. I want to send some seeds to Line in Norway. How do I send them without a phyto? Jazz, are you sure that goes for seeds too?

Mamajack, I'm sending all the extra seeds from this group to lilydaydreamer for her school projects. I will send your friend ones from the group I'm going to put up for sale on the Lily Auction. They have both parents so that should be more fun for them and may help them sell better. Don't worry about the postage. Just get me the information.

Leslie

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've sent seeds to Norway without a phyto, but it's been awhile. I just labeled the package, 'flower seeds' and put the Latin name on the package...they sailed right through.

The custom's form should be the little green one...you'd mark it 'gift' and under contents write 'flower seed'...give the number in the package...like 1 package, or 3 packages...or whatever. I think Norway allows up to 10 packs of seeds at a time.
drop down another line and right under the flower seed part, write Hemerocallidaceae Hemerocallis.

They're really picky about plant material, but I've never had any seed issues. I've been totally up front about what was in the package, and didn't try and sneak anything in...although that happens all over the world every day.

The worst they can do is confiscate it and send you a nasty letter...got one from Australia...they weren't mad about bugs and disease...I didn't know that cowpeas were on their no-no list...

edited 'cause I can't spell this early...

This message was edited Sep 8, 2007 7:52 AM

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Melody. I personally haven't tried to send anything plant related out of the country but I would hate to cause a problem somewhere else or get in trouble. It's good to have advice from someone that has been there and done that. :)

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much. I'll let you know how I make out. I'm planning on being completely up front like you. The fun of sending the seeds would be wiped out for me if I tried to sneak. My husband teases me for being such a "rule follower", but that's just how I'm made.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Me too Leslie.. :) Some places get really hairy about it and I would hate for anyone to get in big trouble

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

jazz, i know you are not speaking about legalities as far as whether we can actually get seeds in to other countries because we can. it's not 100 per cent as customs does sometimes seize them but lots of times they do get through. you are speaking about sending some unknown scourge into a country that could wipe out plant life as they now know it. and that is something that i am very well conscious of.

thank you lalambchop. her name is terri and i dmailed her yesterday to see if she could still use the dl seeds. they had a time with their weather this year as well and she lost some of her plants.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

also, her dg name is

terri1948

lmk if you can't find her.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Well I was speaking about both in a way. The scourge thing is why some countries try to control what plant materials come in. The legal thing is how they try to control it. :)
How stringent different places are or how upset they get is totally unknown to me other than I know that importing plant materials into the US without a phyto can incur big penalties if you get caught. And I only know that because I went to the USDA website. Perhaps it is only for businesses but I can't imagine that if they care about it one way they wouldn't another.

PS.. Leslie.. I have my envelope ready to go but didn't get to the post office friday.. My plan is to go Monday, is that ok?

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

last year i sent iris to canada. she got them just fine. but hers did not make it to me. i got a letter from the u.s. agriculture dept. stating that due to pathogens that the iris couldn't be sent to me and that they were being sent back to the sender. i never did find out if she actually did get her iris back though. i sent a dl to pakistan. i sent lycoris to england. and have received seeds from all of those countries. some countries just don't want certain seeds coming in, like the peas in australia, because they could become invasive. but i have heard from some people who couldn't receive seeds that they had bought from england. it sounds like customs can take any seeds we send or receive at any time. it's just a hit and a miss. always when i fill out the customs forms i say exactly what i am sending.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

It sounds like you have a lot of experience with international shipping! That is neat

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Jazz, that's fine. I'm saving polys for you!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

ooooohhhh..drooooolll... thankyou thank you thank you!!

Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow Leslie this group is huge! You were not kidding when you said you had alot! My SASBE has not gone out yet but now that you closed it I will get it in the mail.

Thanks, Lisa

Yorkshire,

Hello everyone, do I hear my name being called across the wide blue yonder, LOL

Oh boy Leslie, can I use any seeds you have to spare?? They would certainly be treasured and very, very welcomed. As Barb told you in a previous thread, I work with people who have learning difficulties and various disabilities. We grow plants to sell in our nursery to help raise funds for equipment and projects. The thrill of growing anything new or a bit different is one of their favourite things. This year I lost quite a few of the plants I'd been growing in my own greenhouse for them. Not just because of the weather, which has been something else this Summer, but because my hubby has had to undergo some serious surgery recently and the plants (to my dismay) suffered from a bit too much TLC from the trainees (my own fault for asking them to water and weed my plants, LOL). I have managed to rescue and resucitate most of them but daren't even think of what the DL seedlings I lost would have been like. I have to keep telling myself they would all have been 'Stella D' Oro' hahaha.
I would be happy to send you any postal charges and the cost of an envelope. Please dmail me so that I can arrange things, and thank you so much.

Jazz, you do have to be careful about sending seeds to various places. A lot of the time it depends 'which' seeds you're sending. Some plants can block waterways and grow so prolifically that they are totally banned from certain areas and anyone growing them can be in quite serious trouble. However, having your seeds confiscated by customs is no big deal. They don't come banging on your door ready to lock you up. All they do is confiscate the seeds and sometimes send the 'sender' or person the envelope is addressed to a notice as to why the seeds were confiscated. So all you really lose are the seeds and cost of posting (I can live with that and understand why it's done.) I have quite a good knowledge of how Phytosanitary works and it doesn't usually apply to sending seeds from USA to UK. However, try to send me an iris or two and I'll be seriously out of pocket. Bulbs and rhizomes do require Phytosanitary clearance. I don't claim to 'know it all'by any stretch of the imagination though and have had one or two envelopes containing nothing more exotic than a few 'Dicentra' and 'Geranium' seeds.....I put it down to postal losses :o(

Thanks to Mamajack for alerting me to this thread and thanks Leslie for your generosity and kindness.

Terri

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

The following went out today:
maureenpm00
Icosden
onegoodman1955

Some of the ones I'd earlier said had gone out didn't go out until a day or two later, but all those mentioned are on their way!!!

Oslo, Norway(Zone 5a)

There is no troubble sending seeds to Norway (or other countries in Europe) No need for any Phytosanitary Certificate for seeds. But bulbs, roots, cuttings and live plants need a Phytosanitary Certificate. Basicly everything grown in the ground.
There is a limit of 50 seedspacks for "non commercial use" and if I was a proffesional grower a Phytosanitary Certificate had to be provided also for seeds.
There has been some restrictions on some seed, like ipomoea and papaver, because some use it as drugs. But not anymore, exept of course cannabis ect.

I have bort sendt and recived seeds worldwide. Never any troubble. My kids collect the envelopes and stamps, great fun :)
But if you fell unsure Leslie, dont do it! Its is sooo nice of you to offer, and I dont want you to send anythin if you feel unsure.
Line

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Terri,

Welcome to our merry bunch.

My 5 year old son, the top bloom in my garden, has ADHD, some aspects of Asperger's Syndrome and a developmental delay. God Bless You, Dear, Dear Lady for what you are doing. It literally makes me cry to think that I could send seeds to help your guys. They are special people, as are those who care for them. I'll hold off on yours until after the Lily Auction sales are over so I can send them altogether.

Here's my "little sparkler" on the Fourth of July.

Thumbnail by LaLambchop
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Well I for one am glad that Mamajack put in her request for her friend. I have learned so much. I haven't done much with trying to ship to other countries and now I will feel much more comfortable with it if it comes up. The only out of country shipping I have ever been involved with was sending something to Canada (vicariously through my DH). I learned to use the post office and never use UPS for that! Whew!

edited because i am a typo queen

This message was edited Sep 8, 2007 2:01 PM

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Line,
I should have just asked you about if first! We have a commercial for a veggie drink, V8, where one slaps one's forehead saying, "I could have had a V8", (instead of some other drink).

Slap. I could have asked Line! LOL

Oslo, Norway(Zone 5a)

LOL Leslie! I know that feeling, gets it all the time.
Your son is really a cutie! I have four sparkles at home, three boys and a babygirl. But we deeply miss our twinboys theese days, stillborn september 7th 2005 because of trisomy18. Its good to know there is people like Terri, helping out to give people better lives. Please let me know if there is others seeds you could use Terri, I would be glad to send you some.

Yorkshire,

OM Goodness!! I've just fallen in love :o)) Your little guy is SUCH a sweetheart Leslie. I could hug him and cuddle him to little pieces.
Yes, they are very special people. I love every single one of them and I know they love me in return. I went back to work this week after a 4 week break and they all ran to me to tell me their own little stories. Trouble was, they all wanted to tell me at once. I didn't think I'd ever get away again, LOL
Thank you all so much for offering to send seeds. I appreciate it so much.
Line, that is really sad about your stillborn twins, I feel for you, enjoy your children while they are precious babies, they grow up all too quickly.
Hugs to you all and special hugs to that little guy holding the sparkler :o))

Terri

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Terri,

Line, my first child was stillborn with trisomy 21. You never get over it.

Leslie

Oslo, Norway(Zone 5a)

Oh Leslie... I`m so sorry. I will light a candle for your baby with the two allready burning here this evening.
With Love,
Line

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Thank you SO MUCH Line. His name is James. We had a wonderful memorial service and his ashes are buried at our old church. You never know how God will link folks together. He is good!

The following are all ready and will go out Monday along with the ones tucked into the plant sale boxes:distantkin
maineroses
lineyri
Badseed
Silverfluter
Lily_digger
marydil51
Se_eds
Cordeledawg

Everyone will get about 60 seeds unless you have specified what you needed. There are 3-6 different kinds in each set depending on what you asked for and what I had available in that form. I've tried to match preference and plant habit to growing zone. I am sitting here giggling thinking about all of my babies growing all over the place and now even England and Norway! Too cool.

Thanks for taking them on.

Leslie

PS - many of you will have crosses including the names Ned's #1 to Ned's #3, or SPIRD. These are first year seedlings from the crosses Ned Roberts did last year before he died. I think it's really special that we have them and are continuing his work. He was a gentle giant. I am trying to find pictures of those seedlings to show you. Those of you who have crosses with Chief Four Fingers, Irish Handshake, Delightful David, etc. in parentheses have crosses done onto my selected seedlings from this year.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Line & Leslie, I'm so sorry about your losses.. I just found out I'm pregnant two weeks ago and I have my genetic testing coming up in two weeks. I know that they said they were testing for trisomy and down sysdrome. Hopefully will be okay since it took us two years to get pregnant. Keeping my fingers crossed here and will say a prayer for the two of you.

Lindy

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Line and Leslie, I'm also sorry to hear of your losses. God blessed you with childen, if only for the time you carried them.

God blessed us with a child who has Down Syndrome (trisomy 21). Our son is now 3-1/2 and such a joy. He is special in more ways than genetics.

Lindy congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope the pregnancy will go well and you will have a beautiful, healthy baby.

Tricia

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

Leslie - just dbl checking to see if you got my mailer yet?

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

We learned so much with that first pregnancy. The main thing was the sanctity of life. I wanted that baby so much. As my brother stated, I've never been around a Down's person without coming away happy.

Lindy, congratulations! It's a long road to delivery and like the marriage ceremony, just the beginning. Two areas of suggestion for you: sleep as much as you can and spend as much quality time as you can with hubby. Things will be blessedly different, but now is a very special time for the two of you. I never knew how deep love could be until I had my babies...............ALL of them.

Leslie

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Not yet Connie. Maybe Monday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.