PLANT & SEED SWAP. ( within Australia only )

Hi D good to see you back too! it has been a bit quet around here! hope all is right with you and your gardens eveyone! :)

Merino, Australia

Hello all again. I have all my little succulents here for you weed_woman and degarotty. I did send you a mail but I'm not sure about whether I did it right or not. Let me know if you still want these babies. There would be about 6-8 for each of you. I have been putting some of my Spring flowers on other posting. I am learning to use camera too, chrissy. Being an oldie , the brain does not retain info well until I've done it quite a few times. I think computers and digital cameras should come with their own 10yr old child, as they seem to be able to do marvels with all this. We have sun today so I am off to move a little brick path. Happy gardening all.

Ha ha ha ....you mean it isn't only me!....Hooray!....thank goodness for that!
I have learned how to use a computer fairly well...haven't managed to kill it yet (the moniter was old already! when it blew up)...Found Daves Garden ...still wandering around a bit lost...but getting there!
I stumble in to here and there ...lots of folk have helped me for which I thank them very much....I can even do the link thingys thanks to ginger....I am feeling pretty happy :).Sending out stuff like a real grown up ha ha ha ....my grandchildren would be proud...just wait until the holidays ....they will be surprised!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi All! Thanks for the treasures so far, and Sunset, I think I replied to your Dmail, I will check, but I put a postal address in (I think) and like I said, I will be a good parent to all your orphan babies! I'm having a midlife crisis and am enjoying getting parcels! It cheers me up no end! So thanks to KK and Chrissy for their contributions to my horticultural experience. I planted the succulents and tomorrow is Seed sowing day, although I need to research a couple of things tonight regarding the best techniques and soil mix e.t.c. I may be able to get some Shining Burrawang seed (Microsamia, possibly communis. I can include some pics of the parent plant for further ID), if anyone is interested, but not in any great quantity. Also my lettuce will go to seed over the next few weeks to a month, and although I don't know the variety, they come from an organic source and self seed very well! I've posted a pic which some of you may have seen already. You know the drill, Dmail if interested.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Merino, Australia

Hello weed_woman. I must be doing something wrong as I cannot find any new Dmails. I found my way into the mail page and I think I sent mail to you and degarotty. Is there a secret to accessing incoming mail ?
I know these little succulents are just dying to move north, although today is very warm.
I will go and have another look at mail page and see what I am not doing.

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hi SS77,
Just on your home page,
1/ Look at the top where it says "My Info" and if you have D-Mail, it will say, "You have X amount of new D-Mails.
2/ For you to send a member a D-Mail, click on their home page and on the left hand side, it will say "Send a D-Mail"
3/ From Memory ONLY, lol, I think it lets you reply to it at the bottom of the D-Mail.
But if you dont send then, go back to number 1.
4/ Check your D-Mails, it must have a record of who you sent D-Mails too, I think. lol

Just for you information, I have not recieved a D-Mail as yet.
Hope that helped,

Debi

Merino, Australia

Hello Debi. I have just been into my Dmail bit and had 2 new mails thanks to chrissy and ginger. It does say at the top of the page 2 new mails but then after I managed to move them to a file of their own , it still says 2 new mails.
I followed the instructions to send mail and sent one to you and one to weed_woman. It says they went but who knows. I wonder where stray mails go ?
I thought I was doing so well on the computer and now it seems I'm back to square one. I will go and try to send another and see what happens.
Thank goodness gardening is easier. I have been squishing aphids again . They only get on the roses and I never see them anywhere else in the garden. I wish I knew where there waited during the winter then I could get them before they woke up.
The sun is shining and I think it will be a lovely day , so far, it could change by lunchtime. I have finished moving my path and will start to plant more iris along the edges.
I'm off to try the mail again . I hope it works as the little plants need new homes up north.

Well I got yours 77....I don't know how to move them into the folders ....tried a couple of times then chickened out! So I have all this mail sitting there.*blushing*......yes getting up to 27c here they reckon....we will see....I must say that I have never seen such big leaves on my passionfruit elata....I can't understand it after the big freeze... it has flowers going off too *scratching the head*....still cold in the mornings....but nice days now.

Merino, Australia

Hello chrissy. I have been wandering around in DG looking at posts. Today has been freezing after yesterday's heat. Ridiculous weather. Now I look out the window and the sun is shining.
Ginger. HELP!!!!! I have about 10 Hippies and they are in the ground. Previous years I have had leaves but no flowers. The bulbs are about 8 yrs old. I had them in pots when I married hubby and moved here 7 yrs ago . Since then I had 1 flower in 2001. Nothing since. Do you think I should give them up as a bad job or keep trying ?
Maybe back in pots ? What sort of mix would you say to use. I may just dig them up and throw down the back. The pesky things would probably grow then, where I couldn't see them.
I am going out right now while the sun is out. I will dig a couple up and see what is going on underground. Happy gardening all.

77 are they sitting way up out of the ground?...so most of the "bulb" thing is exposed...they need the sun on the bulb and neck...to ripen the flower (well that is my experience).

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Hi sunset .
I dig mine up every two years .
And then divide them 100% .
I usually get an average of 30 Pups from each bulb planted .
The very young bulbs will flower the second year .
It sounds like yours are just to crowded out .
No fertilizer or water , one month before flowering time .
I will have quite a few of these available after flowering .

Thumbnail by ginger749

Hey Ginger,

Can you explain to me how to cultivate the clumping of the hippies.
Do I just take them out and then cut off the green leaves and let dry?

I have never had to this before but this year they are going mad. Mine are red.

Debi

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Feed your Hippeastrums well, whenever they are growing, they are greedy things! I am going to try a Bloom Burster type high PK formula with extra trace elements on mine next year since mine are confined to pots and can probably do with a good meal. TTFN, KK.

Hi Degarotty ,
I'm not sure what you mean by :

Quoting:
Can you explain to me how to cultivate the clumping of the hippies.

Here is a Pic I took Yesterday . Just an early morning dew on them .

Thumbnail by ginger749
Merino, Australia

Back again, hello all. Well, after me saying it was cold yesterday morning, it was back to warm weather after lunch. I was back in short sleeves and I finished my path . I then went to look at my hippies. They were originally all above the ground but over time have sunk down. I will lift them all and put some in pots I think. They do die right off here and usually grow new leaves each year but there is no sign of a leaf yet. Too early maybe. Ginger, yours look fantastic. Mine do get sun but probably not enough now that the trees have grown.
Chrissy , I saw your sage on other page. I had it growing but after a few years it all died off. I think the water here has a lot to do with things slowly dying out. It has a bad taste so is most likely full of things we don't want to know about. We use tank water for drinking but the plants have to have the piped water.
I have about 7 different pentsemons here if anyone would like some cuttings. There is lilac, purple, burgundy, white, red, pink and a red & white.. They grow easily from pieces and make a great show every year. . My forsythia is also flowering and is so pretty.
I have lots of geraniums and climbing geraniums here too. I am only too happy to send cuttings. I have the climbing ones as ground covers in some places. Looks great and can cover a large space.
My fingers are cold here now so will sit by the fire until sun gets warmer. We had fog here but the frost stays off our hill thank goodness.
It gets quite white out in the paddocks but not right here , maybe all the trees I have planted keep it away.
Happy gardening all.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77 would you like some snail creeper seeds? I love penstemons lost mine in the 45c heat!.....wanna swap some ...(you can of course have them for nothing really but I am trying to encourage the trade thing....)
The sage I grew from seed...I find it the easiest way to grow it....it loves lime....so do geraniums!....most of the herbs like majorum and thyme ...rosemary....love a little lime...just a pinch if they are in a pot. When mine goes to seed I will send you some if you like...just let me know ...that sage has been going for 6 years.....it lives in a cement pot and loves it there.

Merino, Australia

Hello chrissy. I would love some snail creeper seeds . Would they grow down here ? My pentsemons do really well here but I have never put lime anywhere except a small amount on my iris.I think there may be a lot of limy stuff in the soil where they grow as that part of the paddock was originally near the old dairy and there are broken bricks and cement everywhere buried in the ground.
Our soil is clay based and not really good but every year I put lots of sheep manure, blood and bone and potash everywhere. This along with a lot of mulch has improved it . The plants seem to do well in it. It's the sort of soil that is a bog if it gets a lot of rain and as hard as concrete in the summer. I find that as long as I cover everywhere with plants, they protect each other and retain any moisture. Besides it's a good excuse to plant more. I have quite a few herbs growing in the herb garden. The Borage self seeds every year and looks great . Such a pretty blue. I have Agrimony that also comes up every year. There is rosemary everywhere. I grew a lot from cuttings and made a hedge along the native garden.I will have seeds from the Borage later near the end of Summer on also seeds from the orange Californian Poppy This is so pretty and self seeds absolutely everywhere, but it's easy to pull out unwanted plants. It's such a lovely soft grey green leaf and the orange flowers really set off other plants. I must get some of the white and red .
I am now going out to dig up my hippies and see what's going on underground.
Happy gardening all

Hi All,

I have had a d-mail from the USA about a trade.
I have tried the link above for icons but i keep getting the same page.

Has anyone done this and is it ok to seend a piece pf plant through the mail.
In return I will get some seeds of what I have been looking for, Brazilian Red Hots alternanthera, I just don't want to get into trouble.

Thanks All,

Debi

Hi D ....I wouldn't do it as a straight swap due to the possibility of swapping diseases or bugs....I think there must be a way but a straight swap sounds a bit iffy .....maybe someone could suggest a correct way to do it.

hey Ginger are you going to enter some of your wonderful pctures in the competition?

If I have Time .

I think you should ......they are very special

Bendigo, Australia

Hi All,
just been reading through the various posts. how come I haven't found this swap link before?? who knows.! lol.

We had a lovely lot of penstemons but the drought took care of them. now we are a bit more water wise and mulching we have better success. also a change in laundry detergent has helped.
we are into succulents mostly, but climbing geraniums are on our list as well as an evergreen climber to go over an archway.
our garden is on a hectare and although surrounded mostly by bush there is still a fair bit of traditional garden .
happy to swap pieces of succulent and acanthus.
we are in central Vic, frosty cold winters and hot dry summers.

Hey All,

I was trying to start an Australian Classified Ad's, but could not understand how to do it.

Does anyone here think that it might be a popular thing if we started on???

Debi

Merino, Australia

Hello all . I am looking to trade for cane begonias. I have 3 that are going really well in my shadehouse and would like to get a white flowered one and a bright red flowered one .
I can trade pieces of my pink flowered one (pictured) or maybe cuttings from bush geraniums or ivy (climbing) geraniums.
I have many different plants so ask and I may have some.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Jean, I have a white one somewhere which I'll try to find and see if it is big enough for a cutting. I also have a beautiful bright orange one that i can get a piece off if you're interested.
To everyone else browsing this thread, I will have some chinese mustard seeds available soon, and also lettuce and N.Z flax. Please Dmail me if you'd like any fresh seed from these. I can post/D mail pictures of the plants if you are interested.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

If you can't find it ww I am going to visit my sister in law this week I think she has a white....I will try and get some ....i will let you know.

Merino, Australia

Thank you chrissy an ww. I would like any cane begonias except pink as I have all pink ones now. The orange sounds pretty. at least I know that these will grow well down here.
I thought of you both yesterday at the trash & treasure as every year there is a person selling heaps of small succulents. they seem to be more of the different ones than the old common ones. Quite pretty, but I'll leave succulents to you two .
I still have some here and if they look like they are not going to do well , they may get sent north. I'll see how they do over summer. Going out now to plant new Iris.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

This is a pic of the flax with red flowers on. It should be in seed soon. It has been grown from seed about 3-4 years ago. The seed stalk and pods can be used in dried flower ornaments. The flax itself is plain green and about 1.2 mtrs tall, the stalk is about 2 metres tall! . My friend down the road thought they were giant kangaroo paws! One I have grown from seed has stayed dwarfed and the flowers are yellow, which is rather unusual. I am going to save the seeds and see what happens. My burgundy flax have never flowered in 5 years!
Flax seem to do well in all sorts of conditons as long as it gets full sun. I have some growing in clay with no added compost. I had to use a crow bar to dig the hole, and the flax are doing o.k. Others are in beds that never get watered, and in fact, none of them receive regular water! So I guess they are drought hardy also.
Let me know if interested.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

P.S
Flax can also be woven into baskets, hats and placemats. It can also be chopped up and pulped to make a beautifull paper. I believe it is also used to make Linen.
I once made a grass skirt out of it!

Adelaide, Australia(Zone 10a)

Flax is incredibly useful!! Just as a side note, we bought sheets a couple of years ago made of Beech. They are incredibly soft and our favorite - now I wish I had bought more sets because I can't find them anymore!!

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Just a note to let all know I've added a few new plants to my trade list - please go here: http://davesgarden.com/community/trading/list.php?member=Kaelkitty

Have fun, KK.

Edited to change the Link to make things clearer, and say YET MORE PLANTS are available now!

This message was edited Nov 7, 2007 9:58 PM

Brisbane, Australia

Hello all.
I am in westlake in brisbane so not all that far from the ipswichian.. I have tonnes of cannas and all sorts of hippeastrum gingers, heliconias, brugmansia and quite a few herbs...not to mention palm trees ugh!!!!! I also have heaps of run of the mill geraniums.Oh and quite a few named daylilies. Oh and frangipani,oh and bougainvillea and bromeliads and hoyas....maybe we could swap some of these...although I expect you all have these things already.
Sincerely, Jacqueline

Hi J ...we all happily swap stuff ...welcome lots of people up your way!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Jacqueline, Id love some brugmansia and heliconias! What colours brug's do you have? And which heliconias? I've got lots of stuff to swap too, but find it hard to put it all down on paper. Is there anything you'd especially like?
Sue

Merino, Australia

Hello everybody. I would like to ask if anyone has a couple of tall bearded iris that I am after. The names are
"Decadence", "Fogbound" and "Louisa's Song"
I am willing to pay or swap for other iris or different plants.
I have a very large garden full of lots of perennials, roses, iris and other cottage type plants to chose from.
Hoping for help with these as I cannot get them elsewhere.
Happy day all.

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

77sunset,
I have the 2002 edition of The Aussie Plantfinder. It is somewhat out of date, but I thought it worth taking a look.
It only lists one of the Iris that you are looking for.
For "Fogbound" it lists two nurseries one in Victoria and one in NSW.
They are as follows:

Temp Two
57 East Rd
Pearcedale
VIC 3912
Phone: (03) 5978 6980
They give a web site, which doesn't exist, so they may have gone out of business. They did handle mail orders.

Rainbow Ridge Nursery
8 Taylors Rd
Dural
NSW 2158
Phone: (02) 9651 2857
Also say they do mail order,

Hope that info is useful,

Kennedy

Merino, Australia

Thank you kennedy, the iris nurseries are either sold out of these or do not have them on their lists. I do a lot of my plant buying via mail order and regularly get catalogues. I'll keep on looking and maybe someone will have them.
Happy gardening. Jean.

Hi Guys,

Can you tell me if this plant is a ZZ Plant?

I hope it is........................

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty
melbourne, Australia

Hi,

i am only new to this site - and to gardening in general... but i have definately got the gardening bug and i am loving this new hobby of mine.

i live in country victoria and have a 5 acre property - 2 acres approx to fill with plants around the house.

i love the cottage garden look and have brought many plants. i would love to trade some seeds & cuttings for some different varieties. 77sunset - you sound like you have a lot of the things that i am beginning to love.. i have some seed here that i would love to trade for some of your stuff.

looking forward to hearing from you,

shelly

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Shelly, Sue here, what have you got, what have you got? (rubbing hands with glee)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.