(57 votes, 13%)
Red dot

A basic book of how-to tips and techniques
(28 votes, 6%)
Red dot

A book focused on landscaping ideas and designs
(29 votes, 6%)
Red dot

A book on a specific type of plant (e.g., herbs, trees, perennials, etc.)
(55 votes, 13%)
Red dot

A literary book (memoirs, letters, essays, poetry, etc.)
(17 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Other? (Please share!)
(45 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

That said, I find there are two books I go to consistanly for true help and advice and which plants to try:

One is ""Gardening with Groundcovers and Vines" by Allen Lacy.
He gives sound advice with a bit of humor and the photographs are great. I have used his ideas successfully in the shade under my cottonwood trees. Things only succeed that are willing to fight those rootlets for every drop of water.

The other is " the Undaunted Garden" by Lauren Springer.
The photographs are clearly of real successful gardens. and the glossary at the back of the book of is rightly named 'portraits of indispensably undaunted plants'.
And the best part of the book is the informantive prose. The information falls from this lady's fingers like rain. Just now looking thru it I am delighted that at some point I highlighted certain lists included within the text.
Okay that's a bit long winded ~~~ Blooms ;-)

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I believe Yasir meant nobody has ever mailed him any books. I'm sure he would appreciate if we could! I hate to think that someone who loves cacti and succulents and lives in a perfect environment for them, cannot get ahold of wonderful books about them! I will look and see what I can find in my area.

Renee'

Selma, AL(Zone 8a)

I love looking at seed and flower catalogs, old ones, new ones, lots and lots of them

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I agree with all of the above. I have many, many gardening books all around the house. My absolute favorite is American Hort. Soc. A to Z which has its own table and sits open in my breakfast room all the time. Here in my computer office, I have of course Dave's available and also A large book Flora. Then in my little library room I have my first large encylopedia Exotica ser.3, 12,000 illuastrations, by Alfred Byrd Graf, 8th edition, my daughter gave it to me in 1976 and it also sits on its own table. Plus hundreds of other gardening books and pamphlets.

Donna

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I would kill for an Exotica. One of our flower show friends has one she lends to the committee every flower show season. I think this is a great encyclopedia. Cheapest one on B & N is 62.00 used. Sigh. plants or plant book? that is the question!
Martha

This message was edited Aug 26, 2007 11:54 AM

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

I picked "field guide," cause my favorite garden book (my dad calls it my "Bible") is Reader's Digest's North American Wildlife. It has many, many wild plants, mushrooms, lichens, etc. And animals, too! I wore my old copy out, so I had to buy another one off Amazon.com - and I got one that was like new - and it's a 1983 book! Me so happy, lol! Now the old one is all written up (I mark when I find a plant or animal in the wild, with the date and where it was at) and has duct tape holding it together. That's my actual field guide. And the new one is pristine and will not leave the house. The old one smells like the outdoors, cause I drag it with me all the time, lol. I also dried/smashed leaves and flowers in it to save. I won't let the new one get that stinky, "outdoor smell," LOL! ;P

~Kristy... chatty this morning! ;D ~ yes, I will have a 10th cup of coffee, thank you!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Voted for 'other' as I love to use all of the books for my garden knowledge.
Donna

FSD, Pakistan(Zone 10b)

Hi blooms.
Renee says right that nobody has ever mailed him any books.
I really appreciate him who send me Books related to Cacti and Succulents.
I want to read the latest researches,
I believe that the Books are takes an important role in our related hobbies.
We cannot stay on internet for long time.and forgets which we read.
I think the books are increase our love for Plants and other jobs.
Thank you to all
yasir

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Going to ebay to search for Exotica--and hoping something raunchy doesn't come up....

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Well I am not in the majority. I think that is because I voted, not so much as what I need but what I liked. I am doing some landscaping, so that is what I picked.

Whangarei, New Zealand

all of the above are the gardening books I read. can all the above be a choice in the answers please

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.