(57 votes, 13%)
Red dot

A basic book of how-to tips and techniques
(28 votes, 6%)
Red dot

A book focused on landscaping ideas and designs
(29 votes, 6%)
Red dot

A book on a specific type of plant (e.g., herbs, trees, perennials, etc.)
(55 votes, 13%)
Red dot

A literary book (memoirs, letters, essays, poetry, etc.)
(17 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Other? (Please share!)
(45 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow, I was first this time!

Blenheim, New Zealand

second what did you vote LOL

Baton Rouge, LA(Zone 8b)

My favorite? Taylor's Guides. Encyclopedia of Garden Plants, Frances Tenenbaum, editor.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I got all of AHS books....

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I picked other because I couldn't pick just one. I like 3 of them equally: a big ole encyclopedia, how to: tips and techniques, and landscaping ideas.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Okay, we still need and ALL OF THE ABOVE!!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Other

because it IS "all of the above"

http://davesgarden.com/products/gbw/vcbm/podster/

See? .... LOL

Kyle, TX

I, too, would have picked most of the choices since you need different books for different situations. Some books don't even list some plants and other books give just the particular detail I was looking for.

Fernandina Beach, FL(Zone 8b)

What better garden book is there than the daily growing encyclopedia of davesgarden.com?

Franklin Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

I voted for "field guides". We like to walk in nearby Nature Preserves and the Guides are so easy to carry in a pocket to identify tall grass or short grass prairie plants. When I find the right spot to plant them, I want to have list of my favs ready.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Almost all the above, but I voted for field guides because that's the type I pull off the shelf most often. I couldn't do without the encyclopedia ones, though!

Thomson, GA

Other, partly because there SHOULD be an "all of the above"! and partly because, although technically not books, I get so many ideas and info from several magazines.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

For me...color pictures are the draw. Doesnt matter what kind of gardening book it is after that. Even with an encyclopedia type book. I want some pictures. That, of course, in not in leiu of poor information. Good and plentiful info does help.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

My favorite is my Organic Gardening magazine and for the rest I peruse seed and plant catalogs and of course, Dave's, but Dave's isn't a book, of course!

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

The reason I said "other" is because not one book covers all that I want to know. I have over 75 books and still I could use more!!!

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

I picked other for the internet :) It's the best reference book out there!

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

I'm with Maria 2354 even tho I voted for a big fat encyclopedia. I reach for Dave's Garden before I look anywhere else!
But what I really want is a book that shows photographically: seedling identification, root system, foliage to scale, flowers in relation to foliage, seeds on the plant and seeds as harvested. Plus all the other stuff you normally see. Does anyone make such a thing? I want it ALL!! ;-)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

other-who could pick one kind of book? i love them all and use them all (almost every day) and oh yes, the internet!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I voted for the big fat book even tho I agree that all have something of interest in them.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I voted for monthly tasks for my area...............it is difficult no matter how many years you have gardened to move to another zone and keep up with monthly tasks of keeping it all going smoothly................

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I voted other.
I prefer vegetable gardening books like Ed Smith's Gardening Bible. I raise a few other things, but 90% vegetable oriented. Still I have about 400 glads so I like flowers too, but melons, corn, beans, squash, berries, and apples are my growing passions.

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

I voted other, as well. My favorite type of gardening book is the one I need at the moment! ;)

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I voted other because I am interested in all types of gardening and need different books for different things. Also use the internet (Dave's Garden) , etc.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I voted for the top one, although I look at all of them at sometime during the year. Usually bring home a few stacks a year from the library.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I use several huge encyclopedias and plant name dictionaries regularly - pretty much on a daily basis.

They're key to a lot of my work, but they're not what I pull off the bookshelf when I want to enjoy reading a favorite gardening book. That honor would go to my cherished books by Elizabeth Lawrence and Henry Mitchell; they had a flair for creating garden literature that is both entertaining and informative.

C'mon...it's not like anybody's asking you which of your children you love the best ;o) It's okay to have a (as in singular) favorite type of gardening book!!!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I can answer that one Terry - my daughter.LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Other. I should write a book!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

ok, ok, i like the big, fat ones with lots of info and pictures.................lol

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

I could have answered "all of the above" easily.

I like all of these.....and I really enjoy gardening magazines as well.

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Which one depends on when! This time of year it's apt to be a problem solver. In winter it might be the catalogs. So my answer is It depends. ;-0

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

#1 - The American Horticultural Society A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants. Then I go to regional gardening books.....for my area, of course.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2007 10:35 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I voted "other" because I love the gardening magazines, including one from England, but I can't remember its name right now!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yep - other. Could have used "all of the above", but DG wasn't listed. I also love the mags Connie. Pretty much, if it has plants or plant info, or plant pics, its got me. Also like the farmer's almanac type books, .....yup....other.

Denver, CO

After voting for the Big ol' Encyclopaedia, I would feel guilty not mentioning my hero, the delightful and humourous quintessentially British garden author:

Beverly Nichols:
"Most of us rather like our cats to have a streak of wickedness. I should not feel quite easy in the company of any cat that walked about the house with a saintly expression."

http://www.timberpress.com/beverleynichols/excerpts.cfm

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes 'all of the above' but my very favorite is a month-by-month guide written by a local gardner Pat Welch. As a mostly newby gardner, this has been a wonderful resource!

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

I like different types of garden books. I'm always looking for some type of information. Plants. hints and plans. The more ideas the merrier!

Greensboro, AL

My favorite garden book is Bernard McMahan's An American Gardener Adapted to the Climate and Seasons of the United States:
Containing A Complete Account of all the Work Necessary to be Done in the Kitchen- Garden, Fruit- Garden, Flower- Garden, Orchard, Pleasure- Ground, Vineyard, Nursery, Greenhouse, Out-House, and Forcing Frames for every Month of the Year; with Practical Directions and Copious Index. First published in 1802. Now in Paperback.

Savannah, TN(Zone 7a)

I had to pick encyclopedia...mostly because last week I bought a copy of "The Southern Living Garden Book" and I've basically been sleeping with it since then!! It's an awesome reference and includes over 7000 plants that are good for our hot southern climates. Of course my other fav source is Dave's for sure!!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

I chose 'other.' I'd like the encyclopedia, definitely need color pictures, but want one for native CA plants. Most of the rest I can find on Dave's. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.