7/31 early afternoon

on driveway

another view of some of the containers

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

pic 25

7/31 early afternoon

on driveway

3 containers of zinnia 'zowie', a container of salvia 'lady in red' in front of them and other containers of flowers

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

pic 26

7/31 early afternoon

on backyard patio

coleus 'pineapple' and coleus 'pink chaos'

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

pic 27

7/31 early afternoon

on patio

coleus 'saturn' and 'diamond frost'

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

pic 28

7/31 early afternoon

on patio

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

pic 29

on patio

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

pic 30

on patio

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

pic 31

here are some of my containers on the patio

8/12 late morning

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

You've done a beautiful job of creating an absolute explosion of color on your hillside! I love every one of the containers you have shown us. It must take you hours to water every day.

Marilyn, I'm surprised you haven't been on the coleus forum. You have such a wonderful variety of them. You'd be most welcome there. Lots of friendly folks that love coleus. You should drop in to visit some time and post a link to this thread.

These coleus are in mostly separate containers. They get early afternoon sun and that's it. They never wilt or droop.

I like to call this my coleus kaleidoscope.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Hebron, KY

Janet,

I was on the Coleus forum asking for id's on 2 different Coleus, and besides you helping me on one of them, I didn't get much help.

But, thanks for the invitation the that forum. I'll check into it again soon.

Your colection of Coleus looks great and colorful!

Yes, it does take me hours to water all my container plants and I haven't shown all the containers of flowers/coleus yet. I'm getting to the point with all the high heat and dryness, that if I can't water them, then they'll won't get watered. :-( And, I have flowerbed too that need water, besides the containers.

Here's a container that I photographed on July 16 of just 'Wizard Mix' Coleus. It gets morning sun and afternoon shade. I took the photo at 7:51 am.

Thanks for the nice words about the hillside front yard!

Marilyn

This message was edited Aug 15, 2007 11:32 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

pic 32

Taken July 16 at 8:07 am, are some of the containers at the back of the side entry driveway (I added more after I took the photo)

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

pic 33

same 'pic' as above, just some closeup shots

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

pic 34

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

pic 35

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

pic 36

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

pic 37

on the patio on july 16 in the evening

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I love the Wizard Mix. That bold red one captured my eye at the beginning of Spring and has kept it ever since. It really makes a nice statement in any container.

You've really got a lot of color going on on your property. It's really pleasing to the eyes. I love the rock borders.

We inherited a couple truck loads of rock from a friend who had dug them all up, moved them from one house to another, to another. He was moving 250 miles away and told us if we wanted them to go get them. We drove over and dug them out of grass that was about 2 ft. tall. Very Snaky! I was glad to get them off of his property and onto mine. :-) Some were big river rocks and some were cut thick diagonal slabs of slate (not really slate but the best thing I could think of to explain so you'd know what I mean). I've been using them as BIG containers (aka islands) in my yard. :-)

Hebron, KY

pic 38

on the patio on July 16 in the evening

Coleus 'Dappled Apple', Salvia 'Black and Blue', Salvia 'Desert Blaze' and another tiny flowering annual (can't remember at the moment)

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Janet,

Scary thoughts about the very snaky 2 ft tall grass! Gives me CHILLS!

Why didn't the guy mow the 2 ft tall grass? Guess the snakes loved that he didn't.

Sounds like you got a great selection of rocks, stone and boulders! ;-)

Love the wizard mix coleus too! Very easy to grow and it's colorful!

marilyn

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

He didn't mow it because there were rocks there! HAHAHAHA He hadn't lived there for over a month and he moved in the summertime. I remember it being blistering hot out there. He lived right off of a highway. Poor guy hauled those rocks around for almost 10 years and never put them to good use. We placed them AS we unloaded them from the truck. It made it so much easier. Hubby did a great job of making them all fit really well. They've been there about 4 years now.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Hebron, KY

Janet,

It was so late and I was tired. DUH! ;-)

Your garden looks great and love the rocks and boulders.

Marilyn

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

aWonderful photos of all the beautiful pots of flowers. Your pots are very impressive Marilynbeth. Really great color. I have about 20 pots of flowers and it is very time consuming to keep them all watered, so i know what a job it must be for you.

Ed, such lovely pots, petunias are so very pretty and my very favorite color.

You have such healthy happy looking plants in your containers.

Donna S

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6b)

Thought I'd get one in before they're all gone. I love the railing containers.
Bonnie

Thumbnail by seabreezy
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

That's so pretty! I love the color combination.

(Zone 1)

Beautiful, Beautiful Containers Everyone! From Edder all the way down the line to Seabreezy! What a great job y'all have done with your Container Gardens!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

This is so fun! Wow.. awesome!

Here is one of mine.. It's overgrown now, and I have to remove it.. but it was so fun to watch!

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is my carport.. I have a begonia, coleus, black mondo grass and some caladiums & spikes in the brown pot.. sure got colorful.. pic isn't tooo great though.

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

I have two I like right now. The first is my impatiens. Here's when I first planted them.

Thumbnail by revclaus

Here they are now. (Planted early May.)

Thumbnail by revclaus

And here's my second favorite. This is the first year I've tried water lilies. This one just came out today. It isn't fully open. I had one earlier this month. I'm just learning about these.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2007 5:42 PM

Thumbnail by revclaus
Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

OH MY! Your containers are gorgeous Marilyn! So inspirational to me. Thank-you for sharing.

Kat

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Marilynbeth,

I love love love your Zowie Zinnas in pots!! I have 5 planted in the ground and they are 4-5 feet tall . I want to try them in pots for next year. Tell me what you did and what fertilizer you used and do they look that good right now? They are so beautiful in the picture and they are my favorite zinna. I planted a seedling from one last July and it is about to bloom and it will be fun to see what the flower looks like. The Zowie is a hybrid so the flower will not look the same.

I am not sure where Hebron, Ky. is

Betty

Thumbnail by BettyFB
Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

edder,

I love those beautiful potted plants!!! What fertilizer did you use and how often do you have to water them? None of my potted plants look that good at this time of year.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

figured I would throw my two cents in.... here are some shots of a few planters i messed around with this year

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/720502/

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

onewish,

They are gorgeous. I was impressed with the pictures you took in August, showing they last throughout the summer. Great job. And I like the first shot of all the seedlings--my that was a lot of work. Makes me want to start right now.

Bettt

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi again Marilynbeth,

I also love the other zinnas in pots. Are they all started from seed? I just did a mapquest to see where you live and if it was a short distance from Louisville, I would have liked to have seen them all in person--but it is about one and a half hour drive from Louisville--so I guess I will just enjoy the pictures. I cannot believe your pots still look that good right now. Mine are declining. I guess I water too much. Tell me what you use for fertilizer and how often do you water?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

it is frightening how much I enjoy playing with the seeds over the winter.... the coleus pot looks the best right now... think I might use more of that in the others next year for filler.... I will have to go out and take another shot of that one... it's so full.. and looks like swirled stripes with the different colors.... :::: patting myself on the back::::

:)

since I don't have too much experience with planters I even impressed myself

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.