latifolias, new hoyas, addictive personalities.........

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I can tell that all of yall have been having a great time!!! Ms Kitty those hoyas are to die for!! Sara both of my names are hoya. LOL!!! Jeri Nicholson(Gerii Potsii) LOL!!!

I've collected the potsii but not the Gerii yet. I'm still looking!!

Jeri

Chowchilla, CA(Zone 10a)

Jeri, you were born to be a hoya addict!!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Doesn't it sound that way. My name could me MUD and I think I would still be a hoya addict.

Jeri

Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Ok, here is my latest purchase - made with hoyas in mind! I have been watching this glass shelving unit since last fall, and the local thrift store just marked it down to a more affordable price. It was part of an estate dining room set, and all sold except the glass shelving unit.

After seeing Julia's glass shelves (hey Julia, are you back from vaca yet?), I was totally convinced that I need glass shelves too! HA! Great to be a toddler sometimes......

S

Thumbnail by green971
Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Now after wasting tons of time trying to fit things in the way I want them, here it is partially filled. How come things don't just pop into place easy? I had to completely move things around to get everything to fit. Good news, I now have tons of space for more hoya cuttings!! HA! My stress level just dropped a bit. Actually, it looks a little bit sparse........I may have to fix that.

S

This message was edited Aug 16, 2007 9:50 PM

Thumbnail by green971
Chowchilla, CA(Zone 10a)

Ooooh, II need that!!! That is AWESOME Sara. Isn't a little David Liddle package on its way? That ought to fill 'er up.

Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Ann, rumor has it that our documentation is being worked on.....I didn't hear that from David Liddle though, so I will send an email tonight or tomorrow, and see if things aren't moving along. I hate to "pester" him, as he has made it clear (extremely nicely, and very patiently) that he is terribly busy.

HA! Don't I just have tons of space? Bryan did not have a pleasant day at work though, so he was less than thrilled with my new purchase........Oh well, tomorrow is a new day, and by the end, he will forget all about how annoying my plants can be.

S

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Sara...just keep reminding Bryan about the exotically fresh Oxygen he AND his family are breathing thru the plant's filtrations....All of those forest fires etc.!!!!

You guys are TOO funny.....

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

Sara, I'm pondering the thought of a possible move next year anyway. Maybe i'll come live with you!!!

dmichael

Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Wait a minute David.......After seeing pictures of your greenhouse, I already told you that I was coming to live with YOU!!! HA! What I didn't' tell you though was that Gizmo was going to have to go, (perhaps put a harness on him, and stake him in the yard sort of like the goat in Jurassic Park - JUST KIDDING) so that we can grow our hoyas inside and outside! (twice the space that way, very efficient ya know) :)

Carol, yes, oxygen is verrrrry important. I do think that they are opening some highways now though.......must be tapering back a bit.

However, there are some nights that it is better to produce the new "Madden 07 " X-Box game, and simply say nothing at all. HA! I have learned that life is occasionally smoother if I just take the "no defense" rout. However, I did luck out as I was not specifically asked for a dollar figure......merely "WHY" I felt I needed "THAT"! Now, I also knew better than to tell him that was just obvious wasn't it?!

It also really helps that I have girlfriends with trucks, who also understand the importance of getting something, and getting it moved and in place BEFORE said husbands get off work!

S

This message was edited Aug 17, 2007 6:30 AM

This message was edited Aug 17, 2007 12:20 PM

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Sara - yes, I just back from Indiana, and all my hoyas, plants and cuttings, survived except one. I left the cuttings in water and even the stubborn H. waymanie produced roots eventually...I just potted everything up.

Nice shelves! Just realize the glass will scratch unless you buy those little felt circles for the saucers (I didn't bother using them myself, however - too much of a hassle).

Julia

Medford, NJ

very pretty, and functional, cause light will not be blocked by solid shelves, it will stream right thru the glass to all of the other shelves.

Sara,both my cats are declawed and Gizmo's one and only wish in life is to be able to go outside (dont think he doesnt try every chance he gets) untattended and I think even if it was at the end of a chain he'd be one happy little man!!!

dmichael

Thumbnail by dmichael619
Davison, MI(Zone 5a)

Sara, your plants look so pretty in their new stand. I like all your different colored pots. Looks homey, & welcoming. And dmichael, like your pictures of Gizmo. Reminds me of a cat I used to have. He looks sooooo mischievius.

Really enjoyed all your pictures, Cindy

Medford, NJ

I think all cats prefer to be outdoors, I never met one that if there was a way out, they wouldn't eventually take it!

And you'd be surprised, even my pampered declawed indoor princess showed her inner lion and caught a dove on the deck once. I really didn't think she had it in her, but they all do!

A very wise cat hater once said to me "If you were smaller than your cat, she'd eat you!"

Chowchilla, CA(Zone 10a)

Bhavana34, that is precisely why we cat lovers love our cats!
:-)

Medford, NJ

Oh yes, I know that I couldn't live without one....never have, from my first kitty "Top Cat" (named after a 60's cartoon cat) to Liza today, and many many in between...home wouldn't be home without a cat.

Thumbnail by Bhavana34
Chowchilla, CA(Zone 10a)

I just scored some new fancy plants from the Hoya queen herself. I love living in a nice bright house, with lots of windows, in sunny California ...

My roommate got really kind of mad (he was the one that answered the door - dang!) and snottily said (holding my FedEx box), "your going to turn this place into a greenhouse aren't you!" To which I (rep)lied, "no these are going to my new office." Of course, numskull, I'm going to turn this house into a raging Hoya jungle - Duh, why does he think I picked it??? Some people just do not understand :-(

Meanwhile ... back left to right: H. purpureo-fusca, H. flavascens, H. bhutanica; front left to right: dimorpha, vitiensis

Do you think the cops, when they arrest me for being a streetwalker will understand when I tell them I needed the money to buy more hoyas?

Thumbnail by MsKitty
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hey Piggy...Please post pictures of the H. bhutanica blooms, will you? I have never seen them! They always bloom when I am away but this time it was the plant that left!!!!

HAHAHAHA

Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Hey Robin, no worries, he will get over it fast.........or he won't hehehehe, when it comes to feelings vs. hoyas, hoyas always win. Just ask my children who are quite certain that I love my plants more than them. I always get scenarios like: "If you had to choose cutting a hoya vine, or cutting my finger, would you choose my finger?"

I always reassure them that I would always choose to cut the hoya, never their poor little bodies!!! Then my super sensitive husband Bryan pointed out that I could always root the cut hoya, and have even more plants around the house!!!

I really, really, hope they have just inherited my "urbane" sense of humor, and won't need therapy later on in life..........(hehehe - that could cut into my hoya budget in a serious way)

HBM

Chowchilla, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh, yes Carol ... I will certainly post that bloom - hopefully I won't do something stupid that causes them to blast!!!
I have come to the conclusion that I have to move a dining room table into my bedroom, since I can no longer fit any more hoyas on the bookshelves sitting under my bay window. The dining room table will allow me to put loads of plants right in front of the west window. I could put the plants in other rooms that are just as nice and bright, but then I wouldn't get to see them all as I'm falling asleep at night. Yep, it's official ... I'm nuts!

Nice score there Ann!!! I received some new babies today myself. I wont hijack Saras thread though. I'll start a new one and post individual pics as I couldnt get a good group shot!!

dmichael

Philomath, OR

Ann, I don't know if the cops will understand but I bet we would all give up a cutting or 2 and put them on eBay for your bail money :~) Just don't expect us to pony up more cuttings for the lawyer fees!

On the other hand, with your long legs in hooker heals you could just stomp on the nice police officer's head and run away.................

-joanne :~)

Chowchilla, CA(Zone 10a)

You know Joanne, I like how you think!
:-)

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I would contribute to that cause!! LOL!!! Yall are too funny.

Jeri

Chowchilla, CA(Zone 10a)

Ann's continued piggish behavior ...

I just received my package from Mel - Yeahawwww!

From left to right in the photo you see: H. sp. Hat Som Pean, H. cv. matilda, H. padangensis, , and H. cominsii. She also sent me additional cuttings of H. cv. matilda, a cutting of H. pallida, and a cutting of H. coronaria. Finally, as you can see, she sent me a very special gift - a beautiful wire and bead plant hanger!!

Ann

Thumbnail by MsKitty
Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Wonderful Ann!! Those are awesome hoyas, and the hanger is beautiful!! Mel really does grow some wonderful plants doesn't she!! I need to get to the craft store and check out some of that wire and beads.

So, how is the dining room table working out in your bedroom? That just cracks me up. Is your roommate finding the whole thing as amusing?

S

Dededo, Guam (USA)

wow mrskitties, what is that wierd looking blue net on that one hoya in your picture? Is it helpful to yours plants? I kind of like it, did you buy that somewhers?

RER

Medford, NJ

wow I am jealous, especially of the plant hanger, I love little homemade gifts like that, they just seem to mean so much more than something store bought. Unfortunately, I don't have many creative friends. In fact, I don't have any creative friends at all. I need to get me some.

I wonder how you all ship plants in pots without the soil falling out?

Long Beach, CA

I am also seething with jealously over everyones new plants and I LOVE that bead hanger too. (Wonder if I showed that to my grandaughter I could talk her into making me a couple?) I am just too bogged down with shuffeling plants all over the place to even concider getting any more plants right now. Actually it is a good thing as I really don't NEED anymore with fall/winter approaching. Still....it is so tempting to look at all the new lovelys.
Ann...you are going to LOVE those little mathildas. They are sooo cute and hang nicely or wind around the pot hanger any way you like. The They are like little serpens, only hardier it seems. It is now one of my favs. and it hasn't even bloomed for me yet.
Marcy

Medford, NJ

I will post a pic of my cv Mathilde later to show you how fast they become a plant! D in Georgia sent me a few cuttings last year, maybe mid summer, and they have done great! It is one of my favorite hoyas....have a peduncle on it now too....

Medford, NJ

Here is cv Mathilde... like I mentioned above, it came from Davids plant in Ga. I think he sent 2 cuttings, one a little longer than the other, and I didn't chop them up, just planted them whole. The plant in the picture is the result, once it rooted and started growing it just kept branching and branching and it still is! The branches that are growing right off the edges of the pic are several more inches long, the and seem longer every day. This hoya also seems very hardy to me. Of course it is still a "baby" but it is just so healthy and happy, I can imagine it will be huge before long.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2007 1:18 PM

Thumbnail by Bhavana34

That Mathilde is adorable. Thanks for posting.

Susan

Medford, NJ

thanks - I don't know what will happen with the buds though, I have a few plants with peduncles just starting, and the weather is getting cooler, so I'm hoping they will have time to bloom before it gets too cold. Last year I brought a few ready to bloom plants indoors in mid fall and the buds blasted.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2007 10:29 AM

everytime I visit the hoya forum, I can't get past that pic of latifolia without drooling. I'm going to have to break down and order from Carol again....

Susan

Long Beach, CA

Oh, your mathilde is lush and big. I finally got a pic. of my biggest one.
I keep drooling over those big latifloias too. Have already got them on my wish list.
Marcy

Thumbnail by Mairzee_dotes
Morrison, IL

Great picture Marcy, and this one is going on my wish list. Thanks for sharing.

Dee

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Nice cv Mathildes!! I killed that one times two!! Oh well....

Hey Marcy - how about some pictures of your hoyas - I remember drooling over your hoyas last year.........

Karen

Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Marcy, your mathilde is wonderful. I really think that after lambii (I also spent 3 years looking for this one) and latifolias, mathilde is one of my favorite hoyas. Of course I love serpens, and kunming kina, and, and, and

heeeheeee who can ever pick?

S

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

I keep coming back over and over again to this thread. All the pictures everyone has shared have just been great! I really like mathilde! Another must have for me someday :)))

I added to my hoya collection recently and I'm so happy with all of them!! They are going to make my winter much brighter!!

I wanted to share my new favorite, well at least for today it's my favorite. LOL This is the best picture I have right now of cv Christine. It is such an awesome but compact hoya, with thick pretty leaves.

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.