latifolias, new hoyas, addictive personalities.........

Carnegie, PA

Here's where my obovata, imperialis, pachyclada and some others bask in the morning sun.

Thumbnail by willow518
Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Wow, Willow, that leaf is so pretty, it looks like stained glass! I have thought about getting lights, but even in the winter, I get quite a bit of light, and when it snows the reflection is almost blinding.

Marcy.....how are you moving all of your plants? Are you putting them on flats of some kind and wheeling them, or do you actually have to pack up a car? You must have really nice neighbors. We are getting a new roof this year too, due to hail damage, but with everything inside, I don't have to worry about damage to outdoor plants.

S

Carnegie, PA

Here's some under my lights.

Thumbnail by willow518
Carnegie, PA

Thanks Sara :) That's one of my favorite plants....although, I really couldn't choose just one lol. Yeah, I bet the sun shining on the snow would reflect tons of light into your house.
Here's one of my bathroom window. There's a light colored house next door so it reflects lots of light into the room. My lacunosa blooms non-stop in there and it faces North.

Edited to add: I just noticed how outdated my pictures are...need to get some new ones.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2007 10:50 AM

Thumbnail by willow518
Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

LOL Willow, did I talk you into adding cuttings to your order? Are you sure that was me? Your set up looks good, and I really like that blue pot in the middle of your second picture. I think I will have to use all of my willpower to NOT make a trip to the antique mall today - they tend to have cobalt pots.......Hmmmmmm.

Oh, did you add to your order, because I posted that I added to mine? Actually, I added twice. I am so obsessive, that I just know that I will have to email David Liddle to make sure that he is working off my NEW list - HA!

S

Carnegie, PA

LOL, yeah you kinda talked me into adding on to that order. I think you really just gave me the nudge....you said, there's ALWAYS room for more hoyas...lol
I got that pot at Big Lots. They had other colors...my pubicalyx 'Pink Silver' is in a pink one...I have a greenish one and a purple one too somewhere I think lol.
I love everyone's decorative pots too. One of these days, when I have more room and more money, all of mine will be in them too.

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Ok, Sara, followingy our lead, here are my hoyas. I'm noticing some creative ways of squeezing hoyas into small places from the pictures - using curtain rods, etc. - and have gotten a few ideas on how to maximize my hoya space.

My living room:

Thumbnail by JuliaSF

Bedroom:

Thumbnail by JuliaSF

study:

Thumbnail by JuliaSF

bathroom, only an imperialis -- which has tripled in size in the past 2 months - loves the humidity and western exposure, and a cutting of cv. monette...

Thumbnail by JuliaSF
Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Julia, that imperialis is awesome!! Mine is starting to grow, and just got a new one from Carol, I will have to get it into some humidity. Yes, I too see LOTS of potential hoya space in your flat!

It is funny, 'cause I went into this thinking that most of my hoya space is gone, and worrying a little about the cuttings from David, and the fact that I got on the next co-op list, and now thinking that I have lots of untapped hoya spots!!

I really like the square glass shelved stand that you have your hoyas on. It looks like they fit really well on there. Now I feel the need to "clean" my hoya areas. (translate: play plants some more, and if possible dust between pots, and wash window if accessible).

Thanks for posting your photos, I don't think your numbers look that high, unless there are more lurking around there.....heeee heee heee!

Sara

Sara, I bought 2 imperialises at the same time - the one in my office, which gets direct morning light, hasn't budged! But this one, as you can see, has amazing growth.

And yes, I have other hoyas ((carnosas and pubicalyx) against back walls that never flower because of the low light but grow rampantly, and have recently started moving these more commonplace varieties onto my back deck. After they go into shock for a month or so, they too start growing like crazy and some have even started producing peduncles for the first time. I'm going to see if I can keep them out there year around, since it never gets much below 45 here in winter...(Maybe Mark could tell me if it'd work).

I got that glass/steel shelf from Crate and Barrel. It's perfect for growing plants, since light pours through one shelf to the next.

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

When it's time to bring my hoyas in for the winter, I scramble for space. (Even though I bought a generator for the greenhouse after last year's experience, I'm still afraid.....) I have a couple of those inexpensive little 3 or 5 ft. tall by 2 ft. wide greenhouses, which I equipped with grow lights (just added chains and hooked over the shelves). I've also done this with those large, 4 ft. wide, non-enclosed, wire shelving units - just added the 4 ft. lights (one warm and one cool bulb) to each shelf. You'd be surprised just how many of those little babies can fit on those shelves!!

Beautiful pictures, everyone - very nice to see everyones set ups. Keep the pictures coming - good thread!!

Karen

I also use these little greenhouses to start my cuttings.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2007 4:07 PM

Thumbnail by kabob
Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's one from last winter of the large shelving unit - only the bottom of this one has the light on it....

Thumbnail by kabob
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I just love seeing how y'all grow and display your plants!!! Such creativity!!!

Karen, as a former Hoosier, it must be really fun to see your hoyas warmly tucked inside when there's snow on the ground....do they grow in winter as well? or just hibernate? Mine tend to hibernate (our flat is unheated).

Julia

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi everyone,
I just want to congratulate everyone for your plants, they look awesome.
I’m new to the forum as well as to hoyas. But I have to admit that I’m already an addict, only problem my budget does not understand my addiction. But little by little I hope one day I can have several. I have only five small hoyas; three were given to by this week by one of my sons after seeing me drooling at all the pictures in the forum.
Have a great day, and congratulations to all for those magnificent plants.
Lourdes =)

Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Karen, one of my neighbors was selling a little green house set up like yours at a garage sale, and can you even believe I didn't stop and get it. I am kicking myself a little now, and wow, I had no idea that you could get so many hoyas in there.

I like your white shelves too. Will you still move everything inside, when they get a whole lot bigger?

Yes, I agree with Karen, please keep the pictures coming. I too am getting some really great ideas - I am pretty sure that until I started seeing what everyone else was doing, I was feeling pretty tapped out of ideas.

Thank you all,
Sara

This message was edited Jul 28, 2007 6:12 PM

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

This has been a great thread! The pictures are just awesome! The variety of hoya you all have is just outstanding. I've taken plenty of pictures of mine since I started in with them this past winter. Nothing too fancy but I just love the look and texture of the shiny leaves! The bonus is that they can also flower!

I'd never even heard of a hoya before my aunt gave me one this past November. It was a plant that my aunt had started from a cutting of the plant she inherited from my grandmother when grandma passed on. Grandma's been gone 20 years now and I know I saw the original plant hanging in her home for at least 20 years! I think heirloom plants are just awesome and I was so happy to get this one.

From what I've seen and read on here this is just your basic carnosa. I'm pretty sure it would have bloomed for the first time this spring if I had not trimmed all those annoying leafless vines that were twining all over from it!!! Sure wish I would have found DG before that dumb move. :)))))

~Brenda

This message was edited Jul 28, 2007 6:00 PM

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Here is a picture of the original plant of Grandma's climbing in my Aunts kitchen and blooming beautifully...

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

I have a lot of untapped window space in my house and once I get DH around to the idea that I'd like to fill them all with hoyas I'll be in good shape. For now here are some hoyas hanging in the window of my home office and a few on the window sill as well...

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Brenda,

Your hoyas are beautiful!! I especially like the picture of your grandma's hoya growing up and around your aunt's kitchen. I really need to loosen up a little bit, and let things go where they want to. I am constantly training and winding the vines to keep each hoya in its place. Heirloom hoyas are great, and honestly, your carnosa looks healthier than the original.

DH will come around....it seems like they all do eventually. As many complaints as I've had, I have Bryan convinced that it will be ok to go out and get a "stud finder" so that I can bolt some hooks into my ceiling, once he gets back from his business trip. I will probably wait a few days, to let him recover though........heeee, I did get the look when I asked, but he agreed, because he know if he doesn't do it for me, I will drill as many holes as I need to, to find the studs in my ceiling!

It is funny, Bryan can be downstairs, fully engrossed in a game of something on TV, and if I even pound one nail, he will come up to see what I am doing. I make sure all power tools are put away before he gets home from work.

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Your view from you office looks wonderful.

S

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Here is a shot of my hoya table in the front room...

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Sara I have already bought 6 nice looking matching brackets that I would like placed evenly across the front of both the big windows in my living room so I can hang plants above the plant tables but I'm easing up to asking him to do it. Of course I could wing it myself but it would be better if they are nice a secure so they can hold the nice big hoyas I'd like to eventually have. :)))) so DH needs to do it...

Since I'm having fun here's that front room hoya table from another angle...

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

This hoya is hanging in my bedroom and there is definitely more room in front of this window! Someone above mentioned the brightness of light reflecting off of snow and since that is my situation half of the year or better I figure I might as well have plants filling my windows for the green I need to see and they in turn can enjoy the light off of the snow!

You've now seen ALL of my hoyas, do you see how far I have to go to even begin catching up?? :))) Can't wait!!

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel

Welcome, Lourdes! This is a dangerous place - you start seeing all the photos and then want one of each hoya.

Speaking of which ....

Brenda - which is the hoya on your front room table that looks like it's about to bloom? ; O

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

That is my fabulous little hoya aff finlaysonii!! I'll post a close up here if you missed it on my diary thread.... because it's not about to bloom but is in full beautiful bloom!! It is small compared to many of the hoya flowers that I've seen here on DG but very beautiful.

It's a first real bloom for me and from what I've been told they don't last long so I'm trying to stare at it as much as possible. LOL

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you Julia . The more I look at the pictures, the more addicted I get. Too late you guys got me.
Lourdes

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Willow, Julia and Brenda - nice plants!!! It's so fun looking at everyone's plants......and now I want that one, and that one....oh dear!

Julia - my hoyas do grow a little in the winter - verrrrrrrry slowwwwwwly. Spring and summer is much more fun here in Illinois as far as hoyas are concerned!

Sara - I'm still debating about what to do about keeping them in the greenhouse or bringing them in - after last year's disaster, I'm soooo scared to leave my hoyas in the greenhouse! It is heated by a propane house furnace, AND DH did buy me a generator for the greenhouse, so it SHOULD be ok..........I haven't decided completely, but I'm leaning toward bringing them all in....we'll see......I am an overprotective hoya momma after all!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Contrary to popular conception...this is our BIG growing time....until September. I think it is a 'Live or Die' situation...and I am taking advantage. This is a good time to strike cuttings. I find that October/November cuttings just dwindle (for years, sometimes)....

Karen...trust yourself! You have taken all of the necessary steps to make sure what happened last year doesn't happen again... Just don't do like a woman I know and let someone else out to your greenhouse to set the heater.... ooooops. You couldn't control last year...and you learned a lot since then. If you brought everything in....where would you sleep??????

Carol

Carnegie, PA

I just love looking at all of your plants and the way you have them displayed. My 'want list' keeps growing and growing! Julia, I love your Imperialis! I just got mine and it hasn't grown any at all.
Here are a couple more pics I took this morning. Some things have changed since those I took last month or so.

Thumbnail by willow518
Carnegie, PA

One more...

Thumbnail by willow518
Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Jen, your plants look wonderful! Funny, I was still half asleep this morning when I first looked at your pictures, with my coffee in hand, but the light colored, wire trellises in your front hoyas, looked like vines........I was thinking "wow, she has lots of new growth coming on those plants, and they are really light, like spider plant shoots.....HA!" coffee is vitally important for MY mental clarity.

I like them hanging on the door! Boy, if I had space, I think I would go looking for an antique or older wooden screen door, and install some hooks............I also look at old wooden ladders as potential plant shelves. Yours doesn't look old, but I love the weathered wood look, almost as much as wrought iron. See, the ideas just keep coming......Bryan is going to just be THRILLED when he gets back to town - not- HA!

Thank you for posting more pictures, I was at a block until I started seeing what everyone else is doing!

Sara

Medford, NJ

Wait a minute - did I post some pictures in my sleep or is Willow's name Jen too? (always make a wish when you meet someone with the same name as you)

Willow, your set up reminds me of mine, just get those plants as close to that window as possible! One thing I do with those little 4" or 5" hanging pots is to hang them from the bottoms or rims of the bigger hanging plants- though I must confess to hanging them anywhere I can, too - doors included.

Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, bhavanna - Jen, unless you bought batteries while sleeping last night too, you probably weren't the Jen that posted those pictures. Just kidding, but seriously, I would love to see your new sigallatis, and your linearis......

Willow signed her post on the David Liddle thread Jen. I also have her name and address for the David Liddle order, so I had a little help remembering her name..... :)

I've never heard that about making a wish when you meet someone with the same name as you. Interesting as I am a bit superstitious.

Sara

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Willow your obovata looks so nice making that circle around, the obovatas draw me for some reason and there have been some beauties posted here on DG.

Is the one on the second shelf down with "watermelon" looking leaves a hoya also? If so it's going on my must have list, I love those leaves.

I have been going over all the pictures here again this morning and that truly huge, huge hoya you have Sara is amazing!!

~Brenda

Carnegie, PA

Thanks for the compliments! Sara, I love that screen door...I may have to take it with me when I move lol. I would have loved to have seen what this place looked like before they enclosed that porch. It would still be nice to have a porch, but it's a great storage area.
Jen, yeah, my name is Jen too lol. Nice to meet you :) I have never heard that either, about making a wish. *wishing it would stay summer here year round*.
Brenda, the one with the watermelon leaves is a Peperomia....P. argyreia I believe it's called?

Jen

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Thank you Willow, I've seen the peperomia with those leaves before (and it is on my wish list) but I'd never seen one that big! Made me think it might be a hoya :))

~Brenda

Medford, NJ

HA! It's been so hot here, I wish the summer would be OVER!!! But, like a truly superstitious person, I never say my wishes out loud!

I DO have pictures of my sigillatis and my loheri, here they are

Thumbnail by Bhavana34
Medford, NJ

and here is sigillatis - this one is small, it has grown a little since taking this picture, but is just 4 small plants in the pot

Thumbnail by Bhavana34

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.