Nature's Underwater Gardens 3

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

i thought a cast was in order....had no clue what procedure would be done....cutting edge stuff tho, no pun intended...cut the thumb bone off and repositioned it and pinned into place...cleaned all the arthritic stuff out, rebuilt tendons...etc.... really minimal pain now....amazing doctor....anyway, thanks for the notes and prayers...most certainly helped as i feel good....wish i could do something in the garden tho.......

j

Thumbnail by caribblue
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous! You get soo much color in your pics! Just beautiful. I am going to try to send you something via e-mail - so be looking for it. Don't worry about the garden, just let yourself heal....your description sounded painful!! Repositioning the bone!?! Eeak! Please just take things easy for a bit. If you get my e-mail present, let me know so I can send it to the others.

Yokwe my friend!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, John, nice to see you are back and the procedure went well. Cool pic, looks almost like a roadmap on the left

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

John, I can't send them from home, so JB is going to try from work. Hope you get it.

wow shari! that is cool place! where on earth is that place? we surely enjoyed it as my get well soon card!! thank you and thanks to jb for sending it to me!

j

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

So glad you enjoyed it! My friend Ronnie in Israel sent it to me....I believe it is from Montreal. My favorite was the magic carpet....

Sorry to be talking about things the rest of you know nothing about...

Take it easy my friend, and be nice to your bride....men make the absolute WORST convalesents!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I see the lambs head but what on earth is that rabbit doing underwater and why the feathery bonnet?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

muse, you're right there is a rabbit.....I think she is smelling of a flower.....like Thumper.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

They are on their way to visit Alice in Underland......oh groan!

Here, something to get the other shot out of your minds:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

As wonderous and beautiful as the ground level flowers and plants are, am beginning to feel they can't hold a candle to what is beneath the sea. Gorgeous. will soon run out of adjectives.

LouC

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yep, when I get frustrated that my garden won't look like it does in my head - I go snorkeling....calms me right down. There is no way I can duplicate that!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Amazing shot, Shari....like the gold tree-looking thing in the right corner.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone! Tropicanna - gold tree-looking thing is just some branching coral.
Been waaay too busy last couple of days....I will post again when its not a rush.

Yokwe to all!

Shari

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Islandshari, John,
Great work on all of your contributions here at DG. I really love the ones about diving and love the pictures from everyone! They are great!!!!!!!

What kind of a camera do you use to get such great shots, Shari and John?

I don't dive but sure enjoy the pictures!!! Both of you should see about doing free lance work for the magazines....

John, sure hope you are feeling better!

Texasgal77

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Heya Texas! I answered your question on the other thread - more later!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Shari, when I saw that photo I thought it was an underwater golden pencil cactus! HAHAHA I had one turn that color many years ago and then croak! :-(

John, I hope your not having too much trouble getting used to that cast. It only takes one finger to post a photo! HAHAHA I'm just razzing ya sweetie! :-)

Take it easy Shari and John. Just keep us posted from your neck of the world.

Many hugs from this side of the ocean,
Janet

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Finally got a breather. We went out on the pontoon boat yesterday with the family....Had to laugh at my granddaughter....Mom was snorkeling around and Tali climbed up on her back and was yelling "go! seahorsey, go!" Do you know how hard it is to laugh with a snorkel in your mouth??? Swallowed a lot of water! The first site we went to had thousands of jellyfish in the water....not like this one, much smaller - but way too many to be putting my darlin GD in the water! Anyway, made me think of this pic, so I thought I'd post it for ya'll.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Jelly fish are such neat looking creatures. Do they all have that wicked stinging thing going for them for protection or is that just some species?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

All jellyfish have the stingers, its just that some aren't strong enough to penetrate our skin. It is for their protection and for capturing prey. Rather than take a chance on whether or not one you see is the kind that can hurt - its best to just avoid them all. Especially if they are swarming.

"Go Seahorsey Go"....i can just pictute that scenerio!!!! Gotta have a hat and spurs!!! Too bad our Longsnout 'horses are so small....this small fellow was shot in the mangroves not too far from my house...on snorkel, got quite a few different ones on this shoot...the shallow water and the thick mangroves offer plenty of protection for numerous sea life that would have no chance of survival on the reefs or open water....this one-handed typing is getting old already..

j

Thumbnail by caribblue
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I think you do remarkably well one handed. You are so lucky to have sea-horses out there. We don't really have any. The shots I have are from Guam. We have these little dragonette's, but so far all my shots are too tiny or blurry to see. They are very small. So instead - for all your hard work in posting that adorable lil cuteypie - I will send you this cool Lionfish playing in the coral.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Shari, you almost had me snorting ice cream thru my nose with that comment about your GD!!! LOL. Love the lionfish also!

Wow john!!!! Great shot of seahorse!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yep...she keeps me laughing most of the time! And oh how she loves the water! Keep in mind that our water is very warm, and so is our air most of the time, but she will have been in so long, that she can't keep her lips from quivering, and she will be all pruney, but will NOT want to get out! Luckily some friends with jetskis tied up to the boat and their son is a good friend of hers so she got out to play on the boat with Miles, and they ate chips and fresh pineapple till they were both sick! Oh - what fun!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL! Sounds like a blast to be had.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

John, do the seahorses out your way have a camoflage capability? I've noticed that their coloring always matches their background. That is waaay cool! I'm sure it also makes them very hard to locate....you have such a remarkable eye!

shari, great shot of the lionfish! much better exposure!! is jb doing something different? camera/strobe settings just right .....keep it up!!

j

not always.....for example.....

Thumbnail by caribblue
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Your pictures are an inspiration! We started seeing what was possible, so he started playing around. Definately getting better shots - but sometimes when we are near the causeway, the water is very murky and there just is not much you can do if you want the picture. So why is that one so brightly colored compared to the others? I just love seahorses, probably where my Tali gets it. But goggles and fins have to replace hat and spurs...Nina would NOT like spurs in her side!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You are both an inspiration.

John, glad to see you have your sense of humor and have missed you this past week.
Shari, the lion fish is definitely overdressed......reminds me of the haircut called a mohawk.....or a turkey.....or....or....

I love you guys...

Christi Lou

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Christi Lou - yep he is one of the flashier dressers out here. Looks more like he belongs on the strip in Vegas or something.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Great Leaping Lions!!! Awesome pics folks!

I saw this link in the Southwest Forum (same place I found the "new" island) and thought you all might appreciate a look at what's under the water in Antarctica.

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1647012,00.html

Janet

Mr. Wu is an incredible photographer! I have seen a lot of his work and can only aspire to get shots even close to his....Another remarkable photographer is Eric Chang. Katie and i want to join him on one of his White Shark trips off Guadalupe...maybe next year...funding got scarce 'round here lately....thanks for the link to more u/w beauty!!

j

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh...those pictures are incredible! The Ghost of the Sea plankton, starfish, helmet jelly, WOW! NICE!

Thanks for the link! I'll to show my grandchildren those pictures!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Janet - what a great link! Thank you, those were glorious pictures. Really humbles me, I'll tell you! I can't imagine swimming under that ice....I would be totally freaked out. But WOW just doesn't convey the awe I felt looking at that Ghost of the Sea! Truly remarkable.

John, Katie just wants to go to make sure you are safe! You know how I feel about you swimming with the GWs! I just don't understand courting trouble! Don't tell me about it till you are back and whole!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you so much for the link to those beautiful undersea photos! I have always loved looking at the jelly fish. I know that to meet one up close and personal would be a painful experience but never tire of their seeming endless shapes, colors and sizes.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm so glad you all have enjoyed that link. You guys (that's Texan for y'all, yanno) were the first folks I thought of when I saw the link myself. There's always something interesting going on in that thread. If you'd like to see more interesting "stuff" from the internet, check this thread out. It's been going on for a while. Carl is wonderful about posting the neatest things. It's pretty long and full of links, so be sure you have time to "peruse" when you go there. If nothing else, bookmark it for later reading.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/679067/

And while I enjoyed the photos as much as you folks did, I have enjoyed John and Shari's photos just as much. Tonight we were watching Shark Week on the TV. I was fascinated by the size of some of the sharks. I'd much rather watch it on TV or see it here. Gave me the heebeejeebees just watching them saunter around the oceans like they owned the world. HAHAHA

You guys be careful down there!!!! :-)

Janet

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Janet.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

John - you gonna get your one hand a-going and post something for us today?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Shari, how will I ever go to sleep if you get John to post pictures? I will have to wait all night. Ready, John.

i have posted this once before, this is a quickie b&w version....caribbean reef shark....8 footer....shari, are you guys watching shark week over there as well? The tiburon blancos are fascinating!!!! we just have to do it someday!

sorry for the re-posted pic

j

Thumbnail by caribblue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.