July Daily Weather #2 What's Happening in your neighborhood?

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

I know what you mean Kelli. Being a Pirate fan is a hard job!

When I'm not watching the "ducks walking on the fish" I'm visiting some of the other strange and unusual things in this area.........Here's a link to my Steamshow thread.

http://davesgarden.com/place/t/751838/

Edited to say: Deb, you're making me blush.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jul 23, 2007 8:31 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It was very nice out today and I got stuck working inside. My other coworker called in today so I did his job. The one nice day we are gonna have and I get stuck inside. I'm gonna rib him about that too. lol.

It only got to low 80s and we also had a breeze and light cloud cover. And I got stuck inside!!! LOLOL.

E_B, love your garden also. Can I have it?

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark, 67°(F)

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 55%
Wind: 290° (WNW) at 5mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.12in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 58°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 80°F
Dew Point: 54°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: 12000ft
Heat Index: 71°
Wind Chill: 71°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 74°F
6hr High Temp: 82°F

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! :D It was a really nice day! With a little shower about 7:30. The high was 76*! :D

Pepper! If every body stays home or is injured will you get the bonus for working in their place?! :D Glad your weather is good. :-)
Thanx E_B, keep "blush"ing! I have made a promise to myself to work harder in the yard so I will have one as neat looking as yours! :D Those old tractors are rather neat, too. I noticed one even had a crank for starting! And the shop! That stuff was running wasn't it? Were ya droolin' the whole time you were there? :D
Rann, That little bird is a cutie...with some major eye make-up goin' on! :D
Sharon, Thanx for the pic...I really love the pattern on that grass. I think I need a beach vacation, too...or at least your pix make me think that I need one! :D
Kelli, I love it when you get "uncharacteristically verbose"! That's really odd about the rain, but pleasant none the less! We all have some strange weather going on. It's never (to my knowledge) been down in the mid 50's at night in July here. Is that a pic of the "wet" on your drive? :D
Marylyn, I agree...All of the (-) temps are not good in my book.:-O

But the answer to the trivia is....A!
79.8 below - Brrr. The lowest temperature ever recorded in the world was -128.6 degrees in Vostok Station, Antarctica on July 21, 1983. The lowest temperature ever recorded in an inhabited area was -90.4 degrees at Oymyakon, Siberia on February 6, 1933.

Good Nite All!
Joey
(maters)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Dyson! There you are! Are ya feelin' all right? And yep...it's DD!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

not well, been lurkin, keepin an eye on youse folks, and hoping no ones wx is to very bad or in the least bit dangerous.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Joey, that picture was taken in the back yard. (I would not go out in the front in my pajamas, believe me.) I know it's strange, but we have a sidewalk that goes around part of the back yard. It was here when we moved here. It keeps us from wearing out the grass, I guess.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Well I've been avoiding this forum because the changes here are so depressing but thought I'd report today's

50C / 122F *heat and humidity combined* was what we hit (Regina/Moose Jaw Area) today. Broke (by far) all previous records. If this continues God help us.....we've been asked to check on the Seniors in our neighbourhoods often.

(many here still don't have A/C including myself)....they are crashing anyways....the Library's went down today and my son works at Tourism Moose Jaw....they've been without A/C for three days now. Humidity was unknown in this province until very recently (last 15 years, more or less, and never to this extent)

This message was edited Jul 24, 2007 1:11 AM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Lily, we are getting what upper MI usually gets in Summer.
Mid 80s w/ low 60's at night.
You're weather sounds like us in the 80's when temps were in the 105 range for weeks on end. Nights in the upper 70's and humid. Yuck!
Hope it breaks up there soon......

Ric

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

E-B – Come on down and enjoy the heat with us!! LOL!! The ocean temp is like bath water around 80. I prefer it when the water gets around 75, but we do love to take Prissy for walks on the beach when it’s not too hot. She’s little and can’t take it (neither can we)! You’ve definitely got “the midas touch” with your garden. It’s a beaut!
Pepper – When everyone comes back to work you should take a day off and sit in your garden for the day!
Dyson – Good thing you’re keeping an eye on us. Someone needs to! Hope things get better for you real soon. Take care and keep in touch with us.
Lilypon – 122??? That’s horrendous. That’s what it was like when we lived in the Middle East in the dead of summer.

77.4 °F / 25.2 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 65 °F / 18 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 79 °F / 26 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms this afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

It’s still DysonDark here!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Joey - Come on down too when you get a break from school!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

EB - your garden borders are so gorgeous!

Pam - 122??!!!???? I'm stunned. I had no idea that Canada got hotter than the South US. Hope you manage to stay cool somehow and that the heat breaks soon.

Pepper - I hope you get another nice day so you can enjoy it outside! :-)

Today it's mostly cloudy, 64°F with a very slight breeze.

Well, I finally got the photos from the trip uploaded to the computer - now I just have to pick out which ones to post ......... I think I took close to a 1000 photos!

Here's one - this is pretty much how Jutland looks between villages - fields and trees as far as the eye can see with the occasional farmhouse dotting the landscape ...... very different from Iceland ;-)

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! It's been pouring the rain with heavy lightening since about 7:00 a.m. The lightening has finally abaited so I can now get on the "puter". The temp is 59* at the moment. We're supposed to have rain thru Sat.

Se_eds, I thought of you when we started getting all of this rain...the dancing was meant for you, but I guess it's here instead. We have flooding...Some folks in the area have had 3+" just this morning. We have had only 3/4" since 7:00.
Rann...I love the looks of Denmark! 1,000 Pix! :D It would be so hard for me to choose the ones to post 1st! :D
Lily, I hope the ungodly heat soon leaves you! That is worse than where Adina is! :-O And I cannot imagine not having AC! I think that I would be finding a lake or some body of water to stay In! Take Care! I'll be thinkin' about ya!
Kelli, Side walks do save the grass, especially when it's dry..you have a really nice, "cozy" looking yard! :D
Dyson, do take care & post so we'll know that you are still here. :-)

Todays trivia is...
Hurricane Gilbert in 1988 produced an incredibly low barometric pressure thought to be the lowest ever recorded. How low was it?
a) 789 millibars
b) 929 millibars
c) 940 millibars
d) 888 millibars

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

If anyone tries to tell me global warming/climate change isn't happening (..................well it's a good thing I'm far away ;).

The high prairies (U.S./Canada have reached ungodly hot dry temps, in the past (114F was the highest actual temperature hit in Saskatchewan in the dirty 30's (The Canadian High), but humidity was unknown to us until about 15 years ago). The population in this province (almost as big as Texas) is less then a million. We don't have the industry (we are a grain growing province) or population to put the amount of greenhouse emissions up there that are giving us this extreme humidity.

However after the temps that the sign shows below we moderated to more bearable temps ie 70's/80's (with a rare, rare heat wave) in the proceeding years (until the 1990's).

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Nor is there any large bodies of water nearby ......we are almost in the middle of the continent.

(Zone 5a)

It started raining again this afternoon - I really wish I'd gone out in the garden this morning when it wasnt' .........

Joey - hope things don't get too flooded!

Pam - I wouldn't dream of arguing against global warming - so sorry you're getting hit so hard with the heat.

We were pretty impressed with the Danish cemeteries - they were so nicely planted and well kept :-) This one was close to where we stayed in Jutland.

Thumbnail by rannveig
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Howdy all.
I'm in the Columbus, Ohio airport heading back to Jax. I drove from Beaver Falls, Pa this morning. Went thru some light rain and made great time.
I was glad to read Sharon's post with news of the rain at home.
Geneva College is in Beaver Falls and they had beautiful gardens.
I think the coldest was A.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Rann – That picture looks like the farmland outside Wichita, KS. That’s a cemetery? It’s gorgeous! Such a nice idea to have each plot hedged and planted.
Joey – I’m picking D – only because it’s such an odd number! How about that for scientific deductions?!! LOL!!
Pam – How much more proof does anyone need?
Sidney – You should run into rain on the return! You were in Jeff’s old stomping grounds. He grew up in Beaver County!

76.8 °F / 24 °C
Light Rain
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 71 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 76 °F / 24 °C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1500 ft / 457 m
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft / 1828 m
Overcast 8000 ft / 2438 m

Now
Through 1245 PM...an area of showers and thunderstorms from Brunswick south to Jacksonville Beach and inland to Fargo will move north at 10 miles per hour brings moderate to heavy rain to the area. Showers and thunderstorms are redeveloping between the St Johns River and the coast from Crescent City north to Green Cove Springs. This activity will move north northeast bringing rain to the Interstate 95 corridor and St Augustine. Occasional lightning and brief heavy rainfall can be expected.

Rest of Today
Mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely. Highs 84 to 88. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

It’s been raining since 9:00 this morning! Of course, I watered the back yard this morning…

Clouds this morning - just before it started raining.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Wow,Lilypon, 122!!! And I thought I'll be melting at 112 today !

Rann,love Denmark and your pictures are great!

Sharon, wonderful pics ! How we'd need some of that rain !

Joey,hurry up and do the Rain dance,we're drying out here !Love the impatiens !

Kelli, love your back yard alley !

E_B, what a wonderful garden !

Sidney,so wonderful petunias!

Pepper,sorry you had to work more!Your colleague should be grateful and buy you a lunch ,at least!

I followed Sharon's advice today and went to the pool to cool off a little ! It worked, but we couldn't stay after 11:00...it was already too hot! The buildings are hot and everything inside is hot ! We have to keep all the doors opened, to make some air and the windows closed,at least the windows which are on the south ! We water ourselves many times a day and sweat a lot...Finally, they called Code Red and everyone stopped working between 11:00 and18:00 !I took some pics of my garden this afternoon,so you can see how it looks after a hot day,although I water it every evening.
Look at these poor mirabilis !
Adina

Thanks everyone for your advice and caring !
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Some of the daturas are drying out !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Portulaca grows slow because the ground dries off quickly !

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Rain, 65°(F)

Santa Fe, NM

Currently 70 degrees at my house after a heavy, but brief thunderstorm. Mostly overcast, muggy.

Awwww Adina - your poor plants. I just can't imagine not having a/c. We are always told to run a cool tub of water when we have power outages in the summer. It's just too hot and so many people die of heat stroke. Try to stay cool and run lots of fans or sit in your car.
Roybird - Welcome to the forum! What is your weather normally like this time of year?

78.1 °F / 25 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 71 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 83 °F / 28 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3200 ft / 975 m
Scattered Clouds 6500 ft / 1981 m
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then partly cloudy with slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Some storms may produce heavy rainfall and strong gusty winds this evening. Lows in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the south after midnight. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Still raining! Adina - trying to send your way!

Thumbnail by MySharona
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Adina, something that always cools me down is to eat ice cream. Unforetunately, I must not do that very often.

Marylyn, the Astros have a fighting chance tonight. Mark Hendrickson is pitching. He is beyond scary.

Lilypon, when we were in France, we saw a show on t.v. about the Dust Bowl in the 1930s in Canada. I wasn't even aware that there was a Dust Bowl in Canada. The show was on a German channel and I don't know any German, but when they would interview the Canadians, they spoke English, of course, and you could hear about a sentence of what they had to say before they dubbed in the German. The father of one woman, who was a girl at the time, kept official weather records and the girl would sometimes take down the data. If I remember correctly, the highest she recorded was 113F.

Way short of 113F, but still plenty hot here.
Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on July 24, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
93 °F / 34 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 58 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SSE

gloriosa lily

Thumbnail by Kelli
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Well I'm learning alot today. I had no idea it got over 100 in Canada or in Romania! You poor folks! My mother said that sometimes in summer when she was a child (late 1920s), they'd put ice in the bath tub water and have a soak. :)

I also didn't know it got muggy in New Mexico! Roybird, how often does that happen?

Distinctly not muggy here today. I don't know how long this cool (80s), low humidity days can last, but I'm loving them.
Deb

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Adina we are a *little* more used to handling high temps here (this however has been a bit more of a zinger). I've scanned back a bit and I see you have gotten some really good advice here.... I've also heard some of your countrymen have died due to the high heat there. :(

Thanks Joey. When the heat wave first arrived we really felt it.........I've found though my family has adapted to it (somewhat ;). They are promising us that a cool front will move in tonight and our temps here will drop down to the mid 20's tonight (Manitoba however will get the full brunt of what was over us). The heat is supposed to return Wednesday but without the humidity (Manitoba and East will be feeling it then).

MySharona my internal temp just went up considerably (re Middle East ;). :S

Kelli my Grandmothers had many a tale to tell about those years. In school we'd, of course, hear the Canadian version (our textbooks just touched on the U.S........it was mainly a repeat tho since the story was about the same for the American plains). Crossing the border we'd see similar signs of towns that remained frozen in time (they also never returned to the glory days of huge yields that were common prior to the Dirty 30's). Farmers have learned better farming practices since then but drought is still really tough.

With the high humidity/temperatures also comes more severe weather (we are under another watch now). echoes posted some horrifying pics that a resident took of an F4 Tornado that recently pretty well wiped out the little town of Elie Manitoba: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/743352/

sorry if I missed somebody....am at work and going back and forth

Here's a few weather pics I took on July 2.
Storm moving in (I had just been weeding/watering our veggie patch)

This message was edited Jul 24, 2007 7:08 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

We took off to our car since these were falling from the sky

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

patch there didn't do too badly (considering ;)

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Drive home was interesting (hail storm lasted 10 minutes....rain ~ 10 minutes more)

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

front lawn (much smaller hail but oh the amount that fell)

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

My home veggie patch is protected by trees.......... :(

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Our dog checking out what had terrified him so badly

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

How the gardeners felt here.......

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Debi I've done the cold tub but those ice cubes are pretty tempting :) if we don't cool off tonight.

WOW!! Looks like an ice storm went thru there. Last time I saw that much hail I was in the Yosemite Park. It was kinda neat to watch. lol.

Today it was kind muggy but with a breeze and in low 80s. Could be worse. But we need rain bad!! We keep joking at work that if it doesn't rain we won't be able to put in new beds cause the ground is so hard and dry you make dust just by walking on it.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Just saw this......

Human activity altering rainfall patterns
CAROLINE ALPHONSO
From Tuesday's Globe and Mail (Toronto)

July 24, 2007 at 3:10 AM EDT

TORONTO — Human activity is altering the world's precipitation patterns, bringing more rainfall to Canada, Northern Europe and Russia and drier weather to tropical and subtropical areas north of the equator, according to the first major international study that examines these changes over the past century.

Global warming has been blamed for higher temperatures and warmer oceans. But this is the first research paper that makes a link to rainfall patterns, with widespread implications for how people will adapt now that they've messed with Mother Nature.

"It's the first time that we've detected in precipitation data a clear imprint of human influence on the climate system," Francis Zwiers, one of the lead authors of the study and director of the climate research division at Environment Canada, said in an interview Monday.

"Temperature changes we can cope with. But water changes are much more difficult to cope with. That will have economic impacts, and impacts on food production, and could ultimately displace populations."
Tonia Cowan/The Globe and Mail
Enlarge Image
The Globe and Mail

The study, to appear Thursday in the science journal Nature, comes as record rainfalls wreak havoc in Britain and force thousands from their homes.

The global-warming models that scientists developed to forecast climates have predicted that one effect of a warmer world would be a shift in precipitation patterns. Current observations, the study found, confirm what the models predicted.

Dr. Zwiers and his colleagues gathered global rainfall data for about 80 years, starting in 1925, and then compared it to 14 complex computer climate models.

Natural factors, such as volcanic activity, contributed to changes in precipitation patterns. But nature's work pales in comparison to what humans have done, in the form of steady increases in greenhouse gases and sulphate aerosols produced by burning fossil fuels, the study found.

Dr. Zwiers, one of Canada's most respected thinkers on global warming, explained this human activity is causing a stronger water cycle, moving more water vapour away from the warmest parts of the planet and pushing it toward the poles. This is what is making wet areas wetter, and dry areas drier.

Furthermore, higher use of fossil fuels in the Northern Hemisphere appears to be nudging the central rain band off the equator and driving it farther south, he said.

The study found that human-induced climate change has caused most of the precipitation increases in mid-latitude areas, including Canada, as well as south of the equator. Global warming has also resulted in drier conditions just north of the equator, including Mexico, Central America and northern Africa.

One of the ironies for Canada is that while there is more overall precipitation through the year, future projections show that the summers will be particularly dry for the southern Prairies, Dr. Zwiers said. That means residents will have to spend more on irrigation or switching crops.

Gordon McBean, a professor at the University of Western Ontario and the former assistant deputy minister of Meteorological Service of Canada, said the study is proof that global warming is not only about changing temperatures.

"The reality is that the climate is changing. It's not just warming, it's getting wetter in certain places and unfortunately also drier in other places," he said.

Dr. McBean said scientists are arming individuals and governments with information to make regulatory changes and plan development.

"We need strategies both within Canada and … working globally on making informed choice. The scientific community is providing information which individuals, governments at all levels need to factor into their choices," he said.

Dr. Zwiers said the results from this study have given climate scientists increased confidence in their ability to predict changes in precipitation patterns.

I like how they didn't use big words and made it simple and easy to read.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evening! The temp at it's high was 69* & at the moment it's 63*. We've had a total of 1 1/4" of rain since 7:00a.m.

Pam & Adina, I certainly hope you 2 get some relief tonight. And I hope it stays cooler once you get it. You Do need the rain dance! I'll see what I can do!
Pam, those are some mighty scarey pix! from July 2! And the tornado, too! :-O
Sidney! Love those flowers at the College! Nice Shot! And it will be nice to come home to rain... :D
Sharon, those are some great looking clouds you have there! Yeeee....
Rann, We didn't get the rain that some folks around here did & am very thankful. The scanner & the rescue pager were going off all day...Miss Emily was busy! That is really neat about the cemetery's gardens! Gives me an idea...
Roybird, Glad to have you here! :D

The answer to the trivia is...D
The highest barometric pressure ever recorded was 1083.6 millibars set in Agata, USSR on December 31, 1968

Well, I'll be praying for you who are in the stifling heat....may you have relief!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark, 66°(F) & Raining again (third time I have noticed it in 24 hours).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.