Opening my garden for fund-raising, advice needed........

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Looks like now the rain should have cleared away in time, forecast a lot better now, bright and breezy, up to 22-23°.

Resin

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Cheers Resin, just what I needed to hear...not that there was any doubt in my mind that it was going to be sunny!!!

Ballintleva, Ireland

Sue,
Hope its all going well for you...one thing - you mention selling plants at 50p / £1...choose a few special / large ones and price them higher - say £2.50 or even £5.
There will always be the ones who want to support you with more than a pound!
Remember the high prices in the garden centres - as this is what people will compare to.
Hope the weather is ok for you!
Sue

Cheers wollowand spike, the weather 'll be fine....I just know the suns going to come out, got the awning up already out the front, now going to have breakfast, then display the plants/ I've picked out a few of the more exotic ones...so I'l mark those up a bit.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Oooh good luck Sue. I just got back from Italy last night and had lost sight of today being THE day.
All the very best and look forward to hearing all about it! ;o))

Ballintleva, Ireland

oh come on...don't keep us in suspense....how did it go.......???

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

She is probably worn out or still fighting off the crowds!

Mike

Ballintleva, Ireland

I think she's having an awful long G&T .......!

Counting all the money?

Ballintleva, Ireland

Repairing all the damage ?

O.K...O.K guys and gals....I know I'm slow.

It went O.K ish...The weather was great, and a few people did come, but not many , apart from some of the other Mums to give support and deliver cakes, and a few of the teachers(they I think were there mianly for the bbq afterwards!!!)

The first couple who came really enthused about the garden, I couldn't get enough of their praises...plus, it turned out that they holiday where my family research ius based in Devon, so we had a good natter about that too.

Some other people came, but gave no feed back what so ever, but did buy plants, and ask for info, said they moved to a new place so were looking for garden ideas.

Another lady came in, didn't pay at the front, said she was just checking it out first as she was going to get her friends from down the road...never to be seen again! Now, that did give me a complex, was it that bad? or was she just after a freebie afternoon?

Couple of photos taken before the 'invasion that never was'

Thumbnail by sueone

another

Thumbnail by sueone

ignore the bbq in that last one, made hubby pack it away for the afternoon,most disgruntled

Thumbnail by sueone

gazebo.

Thumbnail by sueone

But at least it got my garden tidied up bigtime...so I'm not complaining...

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Well done Sue. The photos are great. Love the Diorama!
Remember that first couple and forget the silly person - there's always one!

Cheers Philomel....

Ballintleva, Ireland

Wow, your garden looks so healthy....mine is all squished with the rain
I don't have so many blooms either - as the sun has not appeared for months!
Love the gazebo - and I have to plant some diorama!

Sorry to hear that you had "Miserable Woman" to visit...there's one here in Westport - she must have been holidaying in Weymouth that day!
Sue

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

You have a lovely garden Sue. It is a pity we don't live nearer, I'm sure you would have had lots of Dave's garden friends visiting.

I know how you feel about getting the garden tidied up. Last year a friend had asked if she could bring a client of hers to look round my garden - a rather elderly lady who was not too steady on her feet. So I had to clear all the paths and make sure there was nothing she could bump into or trip over and spent hours making it all look presentable only to have heavy rain all the time she was here and she only saw it out of the window. I think that is the last time it looked neat and tidy. I'll have to have a garden open day and get it smartened up again.

I keep walking round it now impressed with how tidy it is............LOL. Mind you, the way gardens are ,I'm sure it won't be long before it starts to romp away from me again!

We have a big bbq coming up in a couple of weeks too, big family and friends gathering, so it's ready for that one as well, very handy.

then hubby normally does one for the cricket team along with a quiz, so that means about 40 odd people milling around, so some people will be able to admire all his hard work, I think he was more gutted than me that not many people came.

People are odd... your garden looked great.
I have met all sorts of people... i dont want to sound sexest but i usually find its ladies of a certain age that act a little off the wall.
At my store its allways the ladies loo's that get trashed as well... whats that all about? lol

Think people don't like paying to look. Maybe next time open it for free but make more out of the selling things bit. People like to get something tangible for there cash.

Well done anyway.

Mike

Cheers Mike, not sure that I could repeat that again.Talk about nerve racking, waiting for 2 o'clock to arrive!

It's a bit like your kids though isn't it, you look at them and see pretty, intelligent, kind, because you're biased, that might not be how other percieve them, the same with your gardens...just because you like it yourself, doesn't mean to say that thats how everybody else feels. Had that first couple not raved about it,(and apparently they visit a lot of gardens) I might have come away from the day feeling very dispondant.

It did make me look at it with a much more critical eye though...even more so as time came nearer...

I began looking at combinations, leaf shape size, texture etc...just as they say in the books, instead of the usual trying to find a space to shoe horn a plant into!

I'm with you on the lady bit, (sorry gals) guys are a lot more straight foreward, and don't notice a lot of things, whereas women, notice loads, and pick up, and give out more subliminal messages.

What sort of store do you run for goodness sake ? that makes ladies trash the loos? Is this the ladies of a certain age again? Marauding grannies.

Hey i'm not going to go into details about the loo's.. I'd be kicked off for telling you things we find! The most common and not so disgusting is the stop cock for the toilet building's water supply is under the ladies toilet. It gets a little grotty with splashes etc from the loo. Its almost a regular thing to have to go and turn it back on again...... why do ladies feel the need to reach under the toilet and turn the tap off?????? I woudn't without some rubber gloves on! lol

The ladies aren't that old. More the baby boom generation.

Any way what do you mean about my boy of course he is wonderfull... lol

How bizarre.......some weird customers you have there Mike........I'm even more intregued now as to what sort of store you run!!!!

And I'm sure your boy is wonderful, aren't they all? Bless their little cotton socks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.