Nature's Underwater Gardens II

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

By popular demand......The Sequel !! Here is a feather star to get it going.....or Colobometra Perspinosa for you scientific types:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It reminds me of those faces you see in those temples in the middle of the rainforests in movies.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hmmm....never saw it like that.....how interesting! Pep - you always give me a new perspective on things!

Janet - How adorable! So colorful and so much personality!!!! And Mrs. Morphetta is cute too! LOL.....Just kidding. I love your stuff....seen it in the other forums....I'm with Pep - I want one! A Dragonfly would be just perfect for me! I have over 300 dragons in various mediums....but none in my garden yet!

Okay, now this one has absolutely nothing to do with a garden, and its not even underwater - but its about a fish!!!! Cowboy and my SIN Chris caught this one yesterday... and it sure tasted GOOD!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Tell Cowboy to quit having fun out there and get back on here.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yeah...Chris told him I said something to that effect, and his reply was "I'm too busy with life right now"....I'm sure he will be back on later, some day, maybe.

Can you tell I really like the featherstars?

Thumbnail by Islandshari

LOL. Go shake a finger at him. The featherstars are cool looking.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well Pepper, seems like its just you and me kid. Anything in particular you'd like to see? Here is a red-carpet anemone....complete with its family....

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW! I finally made it. I don't normally check the entire Tropical Gardening Forum. I just found the other thread by accident and saved it to be watched when I saw the coolness of the thread.

When I saw that the new one had gotten started, I went back to the old one and posted a link to this new thread. Y'all left me hanging there in the ocean! HAHAHAHAHA Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelppp!!!! ROFL

I knew you all had talked about it and I kept waiting for a new thread. Then shazamm! There it was! HAHAHAHA

OK now that you all have listened to me rant (yeah right, Moi rant????) Yer fergiven! :-) Man o Man I feel better already! I'm here and all is well now. Whew!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK so ya like feathers do ya Ms. Shari Sue??? I love the wispiness of it.

Dragons??? Oh man oh man, I do want to make a dragon. Especially after reading Eragon and the 2nd book in that series Eldest. It's on our list of very near future projects. 300 dragons is a LOT!!!!

Janet

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I am familiar with anemones and starfish but is a feather star a fish or a plant? Either way that white one on the end of the first thread is awesome!

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

This message was edited Jul 16, 2007 9:30 AM

Thumbnail by caribblue

John, you picture looks like a painting! And the teeth are wicked looking.

Shari, love seeing that school of fish there. Neat!!

Janet, stay caught up. Just watch the whole forum. :~p

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Zany - a featherstar is actually an animal ! Related to starfish, it is an invertebrate echinoderm. Their real name is crinoids They can move around on their tiny little feet...waaaay cooool to my way of thinkin.

John....Outstanding pic of the Moray's teeth! We are planning (tentatively) to go back to the states for 3 weeks or so around Thanksgiving. Other than that, and an occasional trip to an outer island, we will definately be here - as I believe will Cowboy and Lexy. What time of year are you contemplating - now you've got us all excited!!!!! JB is already talking about where he will take you!

Janet - I've been collecting them for a very long time! And I LOVED both Eragon and Eldest. Have you seen the movie?

Hiya Pepper!

And here is a Scrawled Filefish - looks like filigre to me.....an Alutera Scriptus:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Filigree with dots.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Shari, I loved both of them. I haven't seen the movie yet. I thought I saw where a third book The Inheritance (I think I remember that right) was supposed to come out in March. That was about the time I was reading the books. I waited and waited and then started reading other books, Nora Roberts aka JD Robb, and Bertrice Small and completely forgot about the third book until just now. I think I will look it up and see if it's available yet.

I'd love to have a copper dragon (styles like Saphira) with a butane lighter installed in the mouth so that it would breathe fire! HAHAHAHAHA Am I asking for the moon? Or what??? We WILL figure out how to make that idea work, or die trying! Connie is the genius on our sculptures, so it will be up to her to "make it happen". I am just the one that comes up with some of these off the wall ideas!

Back to the thread.... that fish is beautiful. All of the creatures that you all see are so "foreign" to me.

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ok I'm hooked. I've been a member of DG for over 6 years now and this is one of the coolest threads I've chanced up on. Shari you have pics of things I can only dream of seeing 1st hand. I love anything and everything about the ocean. I can be on total overload, go to the beach and suddenly "Its five o'clock somewhere" I've thought many time about learning to dive but always something hindered me either the cost or time or...the list goes on. But anyway keep those pics coming and if you stop the thread there is always personal email;)

Envious,
Tina

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Tina!!!!! Welcome!!!! Have you seen NUWG I ? It is so nice of you to join us. The more, the merrier! John and I keep wondering if people are enjoying our little bits of sea life...so its nice to have the feedback. Pepper, Zany, Janet, Carol, Lance, and all the rest would love to have you join our little group.

Zany - I never gave you a big hello - and that is my bad. I just felt like you belonged, since I had been seeing your postings for such a long while....please forgive, and big WELCOMES!!!

Janet - if you find out that the third one is out - let me know....I check the library about once every couple a weeks....but I really want to read that one too!

Here is some soft coral - people always think of coral as hard and brittle - not this - its as fine as baby's hair.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

This message was edited Jul 16, 2007 9:30 AM

Thumbnail by caribblue
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, thank you for the island welcome! I am enjoying how your new forum has taken off and seeing others like myself discover the wonderful postings here.

Just to show you there is underwater life here I'll post one picture taken last week at the local river's edge. See that not so exotic creature on the rocks... LOL

edited for dyslexic typo

This message was edited Jun 23, 2007 5:19 PM

Thumbnail by Zanymuse

This message was edited Jul 16, 2007 9:31 AM

Great pic Zany!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey guys, I'm still here. Working from 6:45 am til 6:45pm from last tues. til this next tues. soooo tired tonight I am almost cross-eyed. Still enjoying the great pictures. Hope I survive until Wed.

Christi

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Christi - whip up a Pina Colada, pull up a chair and sooth your tired eyes on some soft blue water.....life is too short to wear yourself out like that!

John, What's the conference about?? Hope your mom will be okay, if she like the pooter have her check in with us while you are out and about. We'll keep her company!

Zany - love the crab!!!! I love rivers almost as much as the sea....spent many a blissful hour along the shores of the Colorado, amongst others much, much smaller.

Here is a whitemouth moray....can't see his teeth, like in John's pic....but you can sure see his spots. Guy's got serious freckles!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

This was taken last week at a bend in the Eel river just below the company town of Scotia. The water temp is probably about 45 f right now and that is a freshwater snail. Years ago this area was great fishing for rainbow trout and this river lived up to it's name when it was full of eels. Now it runs so low in the summers that the fishing is all but gone and I have not seen an eel in years but we have some beautiful rocks :~P

This message was edited Jul 16, 2007 9:31 AM

Thumbnail by caribblue
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Time to leave. Thanks for your encouragement. I'm "Off to see the Wizard".

Christi

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

John - waaay cooool!!! - so, what's the plan????

That's the thing about rivers... they are generally tooooooooo cold!

Christi - you have my sympathies, hon.

Here is a school of Yellowtail Kingfish - notice the guy down toward the lower right trying to swim the other way? Talk about fighting the system!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL 45 to 50 f is when the locals show up at the river bar and start the summer swimming.

But I must admit that it is way too cold for me to even think about joining them.

You get used to it. And it is really nice when it is 90+ degrees outside like it feels like today.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yeah it feels great for 30 seconds....then when you get out, cuz you're turning blue - the heat feels great for 30 seconds and then you are melting again. Been there -= done that. Give me my 88 degree day and my 82 degree water.....

LOL

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

We used to have this test of "machohood"....who would be the first to jump in the river from this high rock, as an indication that winter was over. This was back in California. The river was actually a stream of snow melt in the shade out by Joshua Tree. That was where I learned all about "shrinkage"....LOL!

This pic kinda looks like a river, but its actually the reef at low tide...caught a couple of eels unprepared.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Nice pic of the eels coming out. It really does look like a river there.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Speaking of coming out - I gotta go shower and start my day! Been sittin on this pooter for an hour readin all the jokes and humor kitty kat funnies. Have a good one!

LOL. My day is slowly ending. Have a good one!!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Folks!

Great photos. I'm curious Shari. Are the Yellowtail Kingfish the same thing that sushi is made from when you order yellowtail?

It's been hot, Hot and then it was HOT here today. Hubby had to spray for mosquitos. They've been soooooooo bad here. West Nile is in the city somewhere and we are concerned. He told me tonight that it's supposed to be really bad this summer, so we're gonna try and stay on top of the mosquito control.

I would love to have jumped in any water today just to cool off.

Janet

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Shari I have a pic of some coral that looks exactly like a brain around here somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it!

Tina

Janet, get a kiddie pool and put it in the house. That way you have a pool w/o the mosqutios. HAHAAHAHAHA

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA And just HOW do you propose I empty the pool out after the grandbabies pee in it? ROFLMBO!!

Actually, we were just sitting out back and it wasn't too bad tonight. He sprayed both the front and back yard tonight after I watered. It really did help a whole lot.We did get nibbled on a time or two, but nothing like in the past several evenings. These mosquitos are so tiny that you can't feel them until they are filled with your blood. If it's dark you can't see them and they've Gotcha!

I very rarely can feel mosquitos. I never know I am bit until I have the swelling. I have learned to use alcohol or nail polish on them. They go away faster. Til the next time anyways. We like to joke that I have sweet blood cause they always attack me. lol

This message was edited Jul 16, 2007 9:32 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.