Local Supplier of 20% Vinegar?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Has anyone found a local source for purchasing strong vinegar, preferably at 20% acidity? I keep meaning to check with Southern States, but keep forgetting.

Also, I've heard rumors that Agway has made their way down to the DC area - can anyone confirm if that's true?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

They have a store locator for S.S. and Agway:

http://southernstates.findlocation.com/results.aspx?page=default

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

They've MERGED??? I go to the SS in Upper Marlboro, but was hoping to find an Agway nearby. Didn't see what I was looking for in the locator, but thanks Claypa.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm thinking I saw a Tractor Supply on rte 301 around Bowie. Never been in so no idea what they sell, other than the commercials I see daily on HGTV.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What, pray tell, will you do with all that 20% vinegar?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, if you *find* me some, I will share it with *you* but beyond that, I will spray all of the weeds that have been cropping up in every last one of my nooks and crannies ... whaddaya think a that?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

OOOOh, do you think it works on bamboo???

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

EEK. I think it only works on the plants that you are able to apply it to, so if there are underground runners you might be doing a lot of chasing(?). I could swear I read that the strong vinegar only had a limited effect on bamboo, but I have never really had to deal with bamboo, fortunately. Sorry, I'm clueless.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm happy to give you some bamboo if you'd like to try it! Free!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had seen the info about vinegar on our local news station (they do a garden spot once a week)They failed to mention I need something stonger than the white vinegar I use for my cole slaw, lol.
So I'm out there in the middle of the day like they suggested squirting everything that didn't belong, but nothing happened!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, I've done that too, flowerjen. Annoying, isn't it?!

so the regular won't cut it? I was reading some thread with people swearing by it. Maybe they were swearing AT it....

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, AT. It has to be at least 15% acidity, if I'm not mistaken. I want 20. Southern States in Upper Marlboro does not carry it. I really do not want to have to order it online and have to pay for shipping. RATZ.

arethere any other uses for it? who else might sell it? I have no idea. Pickling Supplies Unlimited?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm thinkin' if they were using just the regular vinegar they were definitely swearing AT it!

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

You could also buy a gallon of vinegar and boil it down to 1/3 volume to concentrate it. My dad used to do that, I had forgotten til I saw this thread.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I thought about doing that but wondered if boiling would some how mess up the acidity ... I clearly am no chemist!

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't think it affects it except to make it stronger. He also used to cook with it, because the stronger vinegar wouldn't put a lot of liquid in his dishes, especially when you have cukes as an ingredient.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wrightie: Will you report on how well the 20% vinegar works - that is, if you aren't too pickled!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

No.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh no, you ARE already pickled! I didn't think they'd deliver so fast!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

lol ... yes, I'm on leave from work this week, so I've been busy staying "hydrated."

Actually, I've been touching up the remaining bits of deck that need staining and interviewing for a new job. I promise to let you know how the vinegrette works out.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hey Wrightie I just noticed your location, I'm surprised you can get anything to grow on the beltway especially with all that traffic. :)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

lol

WiseGuy, Eh?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I see her every so often as I whiz around the Beltway, stabbing poor little seedlings into the dirt in the median strip. So sad.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy, I swear ... If you run down my Bouncing Bettes one more time, I am gonna give you a BlackEye, Susan ... and you ain'ta gonna bea verry happy about that. Hmmph.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Honk, honk!!!

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Got this picture in my mind now of Wrightie hoppin' cross the beltway like frogger!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, how I love the Seinfeld references ... I hope that you're picturing this from a bird's eye view.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Didn't know it was a Seinfeld thing. Never saw an episode (is that you I hear gasp?). Of course it's an aerial view. The miata isn't big enough to run anything down and I can't drive a semi ;)

East Aurora, NY(Zone 5a)

My dad used to buy 20% vinegar from a local cider mill years ago. I wonder if wineries may have some too?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Probably would taste better than some of the swill we buy.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Ah yes, gone are the days that I lived in Upstate NY, near my beloved Cider Mill ... Oh how I long for a sip of fresh, un-pasteurized cider and a hot dougnut ...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't know about the "hot dougnut," but I don't think you're too far from Heyser Farms (14526 New Hampshire Ave, Silver Spring)... not only do they have the *best* apple ever grown ('Spencerville Red'), but they make wonderful cider (often, they have a blended cider and also a 'Spencerville Red' cider available) that's definitely not pasteurized (if you manage to keep from drinking it all within a week or so, you'll see what I mean -- just don't put the cap on too tightly!).

We found them when we lived in Burtonsville, and we still make fall "pilgrimage" trips down there.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oooo - sounds intriguing! I will keep my eyes peeled. Maybe we can rendezvous there this fall with the Hapster?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Lowe's had it the other day--in their organic section. Try yours if ya'll have one nearby.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Heyser Farms? Count me in -- sounds great! I remember when I was in college subsisting on Gravenstein apples from a local orchard -- the best in the world, IMO -- and superb Vermont cheddar. My family eats apples the way other families eat, well, doughnuts. Except we eat those too, come to think of it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Okay!! Hypertufa in July, plant swap in September, Heyser Farms in October... what are we doing in August??

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

puppy shopping(?)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.