Local Supplier of 20% Vinegar?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

... and sulking over my birthday

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Puppies and sulking simply do not go together! I vote for puppies, skip the sulking. ;-)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL ... Great Dane puppies, it is then! Hooray!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

A vicarious hooray indeed! And a Happy 4th to all!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

a puppy would be a great B day present for you

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't think I've ever seen a Great Dane puppy... I am imagining the size of their paws! (You know how they say you can tell how big a puppy will get by looking at his paws.)

New job.... new puppy... new year starting... I think this is going to be a great summer for you!

LOL, with a new puppy you might need a little vinegar on hand...

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, I hope that you're right, C, because so far 2007 has been a rough one and we could use some positives around here. Sheesh.

We're still in the researching quality breeders phase, so I do not anticipate the pitter-pat of GIANT puppy feet around here for some time. Our last baby had several serious health issues, so we hope to narrow the odds of that happening again. I had always planned to get the next one from GD Rescue, so we'll see how things work out with that. Here are some puppy pic's off of a google images search -- http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=great+dane+puppy&btnG=Google+Search&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi&oi=revisions_inline&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

oh, too cute -- and look at those feet!!

I know there are a bunch of health problems that crop up due to poor breeding practices... I learned about some of them talking to an older gent in Chicago who I'd see walking his three (count them, three... in a Hyde Park apartment!) Great Danes in the park. One of the dogs had serious issues with his feet and had had a couple of corrective surgeries.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL - I love that he had three. They actually are good apartment dogs, believe it or not. They are the consumate couch potatoes. As far as I'm concerned, a small terrier is a Much Bigger dog than a Great Dane. :~)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's true... all 3 were very mellow, well trained, well behaved dogs. And they spent a couple of hours in the park every day, rain or shine. But the sheer *bulk* of three of them in a 1 BR apt... whew!

I'm thinking of the bulk of something else - unless they were walked every day without fail and had good regular systems........
I've suspicious of breeders, with the health problems my sister has had with cats. I can imagine it's very easy for breeders of any breed to pawn off th accidents and lesser quality animals on a naive buyer. My sis and her DH would be naive buyers for sure.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Ah, yes, they do deposit some rather significant 'land mines' ... He must have had one super duper scooper.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

He did, and he was faithful about using it... a courtesy much appreciated by everyone walking through the park!

I hope I didn't offend any breeders. Have to admit they have problems with good old pound kitties too. My brother''s sheltie died young.
I think 'll go look at GD puppies now.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh what a topic this turned to I LOVE DOGS! We had to put our keeshond down about 4 years ago, what a wonderful dog she was. I've been looking to get a new dog for the past 2 years from a pet adoption, it's like trying to adopt a child for pete's sake. One application they wanted to know what type of air conditioning I had in my house. Geez. I have a 10 month old baby girl and a 4 year old son and hardly anyone wants to adopt out a dog to a household with children under 6. SO we're still looking and I want an older dog so it would be trained enough not to chew on my kids toys and hopefully already housebroken. Wouldn't want my little one crawling into anything. Ewwwww!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Well.....if anyone is interested in a pure breed Boxer puppy for a loving home, please let me know. 'Miss' Ginger is expecting! She's gonna be a Mommy in about 4 weeks! Puppies wouldn't be available until they are 8 weeks old (MD State law) and have had their 1st series of shots. I'll post pictures when the big event happens. Guaranteed to melt your heart!

Here is the proud Momma.

Edited to say, how did this thread go from talking about 20% vinegar to puppies??? :~)

Edited again....I just looked at the link that was provided for Great Dane puppies. Talk about adoreable! They are "gentle giants" and make a wonderful pet for families.

Edited for the last time...I promise! Sally, you are absolutely correct when you tell potential buyers to "do their homework"! We have only purchased our Boxers from reputable breeders and went through the AKC (American Kennel Club) to find them. I would never ever consider a puppy that was bred through a backyard "puppy mill". It's cruel to bring animals into this world if there are known genetic problems. It is always advisable to go through reputable breeders for what ever dog you want.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2007 11:59 PM

This message was edited Jul 7, 2007 12:08 AM

This message was edited Jul 7, 2007 12:19 AM

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Shirley: The proud Momma is absolutely GORGEOUS. But I bet she likes to exercise!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Uh-oh, I've got a Boxer friend on the Eastern Shore whom I think has four at the moment. You might wanna d-mail your details to me to send to her(?). Here's one of my friend's geriatric Boxers who stayed with us recently, and that's my recently-belated Dane in the background.

As for purebreds, yes, there is an awful lot of homework to be done on the buyer's side before taking the plunge.

Thumbnail by wrightie

Thanks so much!

This morning we took Ginger to see one of the breeders. She said that Ginger should be due between July 25th-27th, so it's less than 4 weeks to go! Ginger will stay with another Boxer breeder who has been birthing puppies for the past 40 yrs. We know her well because she birthed our previous Boxer's pups too. So, Ginger will go to her home (about 45 mins from us) around the 17th to get 'settled in'. Also, Ginger will be x-rayed during that last week to see how many pups are in her litter.

I don't get involved with the breeding or the birthing process. I leave those things to the 'experts'! We'll be able to visit Ginger & the pups during the first 8 weeks that she is away from home & nursing them. Then the majority of the pups will be sold to loving pre-qualified families. This is Ginger's 1st and only litter, as I only agreed to one. After she has recuperated from the birth process & lactation is completed, then I plan to get her 'fixed'.

Here are the latest pictures of Ms. Ginger, who has definitely lost her girlish figure.

wrightie: Aawww, what sweethearts! Your Great Dane was beautiful and had lovely markings. The fur coloring is called "brindle", as opposed to Ginger's which is "fawn" colored. The geriatric Boxer has natural ears as opposed to cropped ones, which are the 'standard' for this breed. However, I did notice the docked tail.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Yes Devon, she LOVES to go for walks! She even knows how to spell the word!

She is in her 'pre-birth' stage or affectionately known as a 'beached whale'!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, Sophie's brindle coloring is referred to in Boxer circles as "reverse brindle" but in Dane's I've heard it described as onyx or dark brindle. Best of luck with Ginger's pregnancy.

Very interesting the distinction that is made regarding the brindle coloring in Boxers vs. Great Dane breeds! Ginger is considered a reddish fawn color.

Thanks, I'll post more pictures as the big moment gets closer!

OK, here's the best pic from todays visit to a litter of German Shepard pups. Most of the pictures were blurred, I guess the puppies were just wiggling all over the whole time, pulling laces, chewing watchbands and fingers.....About four weeks old.
Shirley, your boxer is beautiful..the glow of mother hood!

Thumbnail by sallyg

Thanks so much, Sally.

What a sweet & loving face on that puppy! Puppies don't stay still for more than a few minutes. They are too busy investigating their new surroundings! Are you thinking of getting a German Shepard or is your sister interested in one?

My husband was totally impressed by a GS he met at a store. It was from the first litter of Enid, whom he then met and fell in love with, whose owner was planning a second litter for this year. He's been wanting a dog so long.........We all met the owner, who seems very conscientious, knowledgeable about her dog and Schutzhunds- her dog is a "german' shepard, not the 'American ' GS.. Despite my sounding off, we're mostly relying on our impression of her knowldge and honesty, and by the time I knew about this, there was no way we were NOT getting one of these puppies, or I'd be sleeping in the doghouse......I have to show you the first pic of Mom and her pups, she has a wonderful confident, composed expression on her face.
This is one from June 17th.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I've always loved that breed - have fun!

I've always liked them from afar. This mom is black, and I never would have realized she's a GS. I'm sure the kids will love it, and I will have a walking buddy to scare off strangers so I can go where ever I want alone.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL

"alone'" not.....

OR
new ammunition in the battle to keep my kids going to the parks with me...

Laytonsville, MD(Zone 7a)

I just ordered some of this stuff: http://www.uniquenaturalandorganicproductsrus.com/site/1595775/product/00012-2

You might want to check it out. I've got so many weeds and I don't want to use Round-Up.

On the other subject, I'm a fan of another giant breed, the Irish Wolfhound. My second one, Lear, is 10 1/2 years old now. They are similar to Great Danes in temperament, I think. Much easier house dogs than a terrier or a lab ;)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I love Wolfhounds. Actually, I love all of the Giant breeds and have to agree on the temperament and breed comparisons. Congrat's on Lear's long life; I hope that he remains healthy for many years to come.

My vinegar should be delivered tomorrow, but I'll go check out the above link shortly. Thanks.

Sally: That pup is so sweet! Love that adoreable little face! So, how old are the puppies now? Have they had their 1st series of shots yet? Are you planning on getting a male or female?

I had a long haired German Shepard named Prince when I was growing up. One day when I was taking him for his usual evening walk, a police car stopped and asked me if he was for sale because the police use them in their line of work. I told him 'no', that Prince was just a wonderful family dog, but I was impressed that he thought enough of my dog to inquire.

You're so right! Nobody (in their right mind) would bother you when you are out walking a German Shepard! I've even had people who were afraid to come into my house when they saw Ginger. I didn't want to tell them that she's just a big lovable baby that wouldn't hurt a flea! But if you are not familiar with certain dog breeds, it can be very intimidating!

Hi BlueMayPop. I'm not familiar with Irish Wolfhounds. Can you tell me more about this breed? Pictures please.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2007 1:07 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, those black shepards are one of my favorites! A friend of mine down in GA has had several of them over the years, and they've all been wonderful dogs. You still have to be careful about breeders, but it seems easier to find good breeding lines with them than with the "regular" German shepards... the regular ones just got so popular (for "protection" etc) that some so-called breeders got sloppy and greedy, and the temperment of the breed really declined, I think. You can still find good, steady German shepards (or they wouldn't still be used in police work), but for a while there were a lot of high strung, skittish/snappy ones around... I think that's getting better, though. It's sad that having a breed become wildly popular can have such negative consequences.

Sally, that pup is adorable!!

Laytonsville, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi, Shirley. Wolfhounds are giant dogs with very quiet, sweet temperaments. Here's a pic of Lear from a year ago, when he would have been 9 (which is very old for a wolfhound):

He's a lanky one, being around 34" tall at the shoulder but only weighing around 125 lbs.

Thumbnail by BlueMaypop

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/746041/

I started a new thread so we don't keep taking wrightie's off topic. Puppy dog love, above.
So, how's the vinegar working?

This message was edited Jul 9, 2007 1:36 PM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I just read an article about vinegar that said if you use the household vinegar it has to be sprayed a few times a day and then it takes about 2 wks for the weeds to die. I need to get the stronger stuff I'm more into instant gratification, lol.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

No need to worry about straying off topic! Lear is a handsome Pup.

I'm hoping that the vinegar is delivered today. I'm at the office, so fingers are crossed that it is waiting for me when I get home. Will give you the scoop once I give it a try. I've got plenty of weeds out front to test it out on.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've got some weeds here you can test it on! ;-)

I need to do something about the weeds trying to (and too often succeeding in) grow between the pavers in my patio and walkway. I'm just not managing to keep up with them by hand-pulling... I know I could just get out the Roundup, and maybe that's what I'll do, although vinegar might be worth a try, especially if it would also discourage the ants a bit. The other thing I've been considering is getting a little propane torch with a long nozzle, which I think is made just for burning weeds.

critter- you can find discussions about 'flame weeders' in daves garden

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Sally! I did find a good thread on them, with some lines that really made me ROFLOL...

"When it is dry out, my sweetie follows me around with the hose and puts out all the little fires I start. "

"The only thing I don't like, is when I'm all done, I come in the house smelling like I've been smoking dandelions. "

"You do need to take care not to set your mulches to smoldering. Eldest son and husband who ought to know better, did so once before I caught them and curbed their enthusiasm."

And this last one was both humorous and good to know, "I'm kinda wimpy and more than a little afraid of a fire so I bought the wimpy cane torch..... it's more trouble than it is worth."

I think I've been eyeballing the "wimpy" ones... I'm going to look on some of those links and see about getting a fire breathing dragon variety of weed flamer!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.