Botany Quiz: Which of these is characteristic of Black Gum/Nyssa sylvatica tree?

There are a total of 318 votes:

Has woody, spiny, spherical fruit
(93 votes, 29%)
Red dot

Smells like earthworms
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Oozes black sap
(59 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Almost impossible to break off a twig
(66 votes, 20%)
Red dot

Produces a nutritious gum that is used in medicine and for food
(94 votes, 29%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I'm first! I havn't got a clue either but hey i'm first

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Well, I suppose that I'm second & I didn't have a clue Either! :D
Joey

Grifton, NC(Zone 7b)

Well I got that one right.I can tell you gum trees are very hardwood.I hope I never have to split gum again.Burns good,but you really get a work out splitting it.
HD

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

so what else is new, had absolutely no clue, either!LOL

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

So why do "they" call it black Gum if it is just hard? Why don't "they" call it Hard Gum tree? Anyone want to join me in lobbying for a name change?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

My Nyassa, Black Gum tree is 10 years old this year. And as far as I see none of the characteristics suggested fit, so I vote for produces a beneficial black gum. Mine has been very slow growing, it is just now about five feet tall and maybe wider. This year is growing faster than before. Does it take 10 years to acclimate???????????

Donna

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok, looked at the question - where does it grow? (never heard of it) is it a "useful plant" (can you use it for anything)? ie. food, building lumber etc.? is it invasive?

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

We have a few black gums here on our land in South Boston, VA but mostly Sweetgums which also have very hard wood...

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Okay, I had absolutely no clue. Thanks for the education!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

very hard wood.. is a good thing!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I have a stand of them that we planted in 1982 and though I didn't have a clue except that the first three didn't seem to be anything that pertained to them. That left the last two. I thought about it and then I remember never seeing any small branch debris under them even after big storms, so I guessed right. Now I am going to go out and see if I can break off a twig. Patti

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Wow, I actually got this one right!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

guessed....wrong again.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

No clue here, either, but I somehow managed to get it right.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I cheated--I looked it up. Hey, it's a great way to make us learn new things! I found out it's also called "Black Tupelo". My grandparents used to live on Tupelo Street in New Orleans; now I know what a Tupelo is! Eeeew, would never wanna chew black gum....LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I cheated too...I looked it up.... see these questions make ya think!
Rj

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It live up to 450 yrs!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

The fruit is ovoid & looks a little like a blue berry in color - the thin layer of pulp surrounds a pit that looks similar to a castor bean and has a kernel within that squirrels like to eat when the weather has been dry
and food is scarce otherwise,...

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

I suppose the fact that I read the thread before selecting is REALLY cheating, huh?

I still think the nutritious gum answer sounds good. Are we sure that it DOESN'T have medicinal properties? Hmmm? :-)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

One thing I can say is that we don't have enough of these beautiful trees in our area compared to the "deadgum" sweetgum!!!
Tupelo leaves turn a brilliant scarlet red in the Fall. A beautiful tree. One in a thousand of those Junk trees sweetgum!!! And if I don't pull their seedlings (sweetgum) up there will be a ratio of 1:gazillion tomorrow morning when I wake up. lol

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

What do earthworms smell like?

amman, Jordan

thanks to the "work sttaff " on this site you'd offering good Knoldge .

Thumbnail by f_saffouri
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I had no clue either so I'm one of the two who voted for earthworm fragrance.

Henderson, NV

I had no clue but guessed right because I figured if it's got the word Gum in it, it will give rather than break.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I went out and checked the twig breaking point on our Nyssa sylvatica. A Green twig is impossible to break with fingers, a dead one snaps off easily. I took some pictures of our stand. They have good fall color and I love the swooping branching that develops with age, but they have been very slow growing (OK for us) and are late to leaf out. They have a nice shape and a shinny leaf, but with the lower arching branches, are not so easy to mow under. But that is the one thing I pay someone to do at our house. We planted them to mirror a large stand that have always grown in a place between us and the harbor. I remember seeing this stand first from the water years ago when I was out fishing in the fall. It was one of the few places on the Island that I saw trees growing with fall color in an undeveloped place. I found out what they were and had these planted in 1983 when we built the house and I realised that I would see the top of the original stand from our house. So now we have these in our yard. They have not yet developed the deep color of the ones closer to the harbor, but still nice. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Sag Harbor, NY

Hey!!! Sweetgum trees are the only trees Luna Moth Caterpillars feed off of...Lay off of the badmouthing...Just because you can't stand them doesn't mean that there's not a purpose for them...there's probably less of one for people who don't understand the complex relationship between flora and fauna...

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh now, if it had been called a Black Tupelo in the question, I probably could have answered it! :-P

I have a few of these in my yard...you don't break anything off, and you don't cut it down easily. The stumps of young trees will sucker endlessly if you don't kill it. They were meant to be real survivors!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Patti, congrats on success with your Tupelos, great investment. Does sweetgum grow up in NY, or some NY'er just doesn't grow up after all. lol

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Earthworms taste like Chicken! Not sure what they smell like though..

I'm gonna smell one next time I run across one, and I'll let ya know. LOL

If you're by a rose bush they smell like roses. If you're near the mint patch they smell like mint. Absolutely amazing.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Ah, I had no idea. I guess the gum thing, but I was wrong. Ya
learn something new every day!

LOL, pirl!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I had two sweet gums in a previous yard. Yes the fruit makes it a horrible choice for a yard !!!!! But each leaf could have all different fall colors. Very pretty . And Tupelo red is very pretty too.
A neighobr has two nursery sweetgums planted, I'm guessing there may be sterile ones now.

Mohawk, NY

never heard of it either,love to learn things new every day!but i do agree that hard wood is goooood!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I wonder how many people are thinking about Sweetgum instead of the tree in question, which is a Sour Gum or Blackgum / Tupelo:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1476/index.html

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1033/index.html

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

many

Like me and probably the other three who are the earthworm voters.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I've only smelled dead earthworms after my dog has rolled in them. PeeeeUuuu!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.