Botany Quiz: Which of these is characteristic of Black Gum/Nyssa sylvatica tree?

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)
There are a total of 318 votes:

Has woody, spiny, spherical fruit
(93 votes, 29%)
Red dot

Smells like earthworms
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Oozes black sap
(59 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Almost impossible to break off a twig
(66 votes, 20%)
Red dot

Produces a nutritious gum that is used in medicine and for food
(94 votes, 29%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Kids love making worm pies. Fun when mothers who aren't gardeners react with such shock!

(Live worms - no creature was ever hurt in my presence though there's a deer I'd love to kill)

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i was right but it was a complete guess. wish i could be this lucky in las vegas.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

After researching this tree, (that's not cheating--that's learning) I'm wondering if it might make a good bonsai tree. Slow growing, interesting bark texture, pretty foliage, etc. These are things I would never have known if it wasn't for the Voting Booth question. Also, if anyone ever asks, I know where railroad ties come from now.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi neighbor!

I guess I missed it, where DO railroad ties come from?

;-)

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Railroad ties are made from *Black Gum Trees*. {:-)

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

http://ostermiller.org/tree/blackgum.html

last paragraph.

Marianna, FL

We have both sweetgum and blackgum growing here--in my yard and at the pond. The spiny fruit thing threw me a little. My blackgum is blooming now and the bloom sorta looked spiny to me. It IS unusual-looking for a bloom. I believe that the tupelo(which we get great-tasting tupelo honey from) must be slightly different but related. The tupelo trees that I'm familar with have a very fragrant bloom and blooms earlier in the Spring--around Easter here in NW FL. The blackgum that I have blooming now seems to have NO fragrance at all.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Railroad ties are made from *Black Gum Trees*. {:-)

And lots of other trees, too. Probably most often from pine. But just about any tree, if the wood is reasonably hard, and then soaked in preservative.

Except nowadays, they're always made of concrete.

Resin

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Thank you, Resin, for the update. I'm always happy to learn. If I'm learning and breathing then I must be still living. lol.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.