Gladiolus communis ssp byzantinus

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

The bulbs which grew after setting seed have now come into full flower. I took the originals out to put in Fuchsias and didn't find anywhere to put them, then forgot about them!

Luckily they set seed, and 3 years later, 2 years from seed germinating, they are making a splash of colour before the Fuchsias come into full swing.

It has worked out well, as the glads die back the fuchsias will take over, and the fuchsias will also take up excess water to give the glads a dry summer rest. Apart from that they mingle nicely amongst the fuchsias, I tried to dig some up but the bulbs have placed themselves very deep amongst the fuchsia roots.

They are earlier this year as it has been warmer in general, this was taken on 14th May.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Some lean over the path but fortunately I don't need to use that.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Very nice Janet--I just love magenta, on almost any plant. I got a dozen G tristus as a gift from a friend on IBS. I think I'm going to hold off on planting them until fall--they'll just have a "hard" storage this year--lol

G tristis is scented, I think more so at night. I have the seeds of that as well as the var. aestivalis which has darker streaks, not sure if I've sown them yet!

I found an auction site in SA, seems to be only the one guy selling seeds. Selling one seed of that! At 11-12 rands or so to £1, but it used to be not much over 2R to the £ so it's a lotta money! I 'wonder' where the seeds come from.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/Item.jsp?Trade_TradeId=3847587

I did manage to sow the last 10 spring sowing glads today. Now 12 autumn ones left, I don't think it matters if I sow them now or from mid August, we can get cool/cold weather almost anytime of the year. I thought I would put the autumn ones in the shady greenhouse.

We are having a mine heat wave, over 20C today and tomorrow. Saturday and the following few days will be around 10-12C! Cold north winds.....

Well its running a steady 29-30C here these days--but still lots of rain (thank goodness). One particular species (H martinezii) responded to a 2" deluge during rush hour Tues morning by sending up a bloom scape on every single bulb I have of it. A veritable sea of them.

Not sure what R2.95 is (USD or what?)--must be a TIA thing; you'll know what I mean if you've seen the movie....

There is a guy in CA selling them (bulbs that is, not seeds):
http://www.thebulbman.com/Catalog.html

some very interesting stuff he's got there--great pics. He only want $3 USD (which is almost nothing there, right? lol) for bulbs. I imagine silverhill has seeds, huh? That reminds me--I need to probably get another order in to them. I think their seed will probably be fresher now, winter there and all...

I think I'm jealous, even if it is hot and wet there........must have been a sight to see the H martinezii.

R2.95 is 2.95 rands, which used to be (many years ago) worth a lot more than it is now. Once was R2.30 to £1, now a lot more rands needed for £1. It's worth even less now than last year,

http://www.rainbownation.com/business/randwatch.asp

I've come across thebulbman on my searches, he's the alternative to our Terry Smale.

http://www.smale1.demon.co.uk/

silverhill is where mine came from, duh, I think the summer seeds should be available from February. August onwards seems to be the time for the winter seeds. I looked not long ago at the gladiolus, not much different, last year they came in later in the year.

Did you see my two Cypella coelestes entries for PlantFiles? It's been a very good year for the bulbs--lol

buds

Thumbnail by dmj1218

and blooms....all within the span of an hour.

This was last Sunday morning, luckily I was actually home to catch it.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Lucky you ! I'm still waiting for mine to germinate.

I do have some Cyrtanthus obliquus germinating, I was about to give up on them but the seeds are sound, I now have 4. The bulb seems to start forming in the seed, then pops out and makes a root. I'm getting quite taken with these and Veltheimia, they look so robust!

Veltheimia's and Lachenali8a both very robust seedlings--my kinda plants. I have a couple of Cyrtanthus that are doing OK as seedlings. Another couple of surprises are a Cyanella and Rhodophiala mendocina--both real strong, robust seedlings.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Janet, my byzantinuses did so well for their first year in Richmond. They leaned just like yours.

now being a buttinski and totally O/T My rhodophiala bagnoldi which germinated have completely disappeared. I have them in shade but I think they're gone. I'm so sad. I really wanted this plant. Deb, did you grow the mendocina from seed?

yes Vossner--I'll post a pic tomorrow. Camera batteries dead, sent 18 yr old daughter after some 4 hours ago--I guess the distance to Walgreen's must have increased substantially while I was at work today--lol. My bagnoldi are still going too (actually all 6 of the R species I have are still going but 3 species are going down) but you can tell they are on their way to sleep. A friend of mine said he can only get them to grow for 4 months the first year--they seem to be kinda "programmed" that way, I've noticed it too with R bagnoldi. He's a tissue culture guy for a living so when I ask him for help (we don't usually talk shop) he'll usually help me out with something. I'm real surprised at the strength of the R mendocina though--definitely the strongest seedlings of that species I've grown. They've been growing steadily since Jan and show no signs of dormancy yet.

so from what I'm reading, does it mean they just dormant? or (horrors!) dead?

maybe daughter went to walgreens by way of Dallas....

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I have these specie glads that grow quite vigorous. Sorry for the not-so-good photo. They look sort of like Byz. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Pard, mine were a lot brighter pink than one in your pic.

This message was edited May 23, 2007 11:30 PM

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I purchased these as Byz from M-Z Bulb but I am thinking... maybe a subspecie??? The top petals have a lighter area not really visible in my (crummy) photo. They have multiplied very well so I will be spreading them out around the gardens later this fall. I love them whatever they may be!

yes Vossner--dormant not dead--lol Although sometimes I wonder too.

You know I had someone trying to sell me some white byzantine glad bulbs about 2 weeks ago--you would not believe what the girl wanted for them, and she's north of Houston on 249 too. She just knew I could turn them better than her--she wanted $25 each--wholesale. My friend and I were having a fiji water at the starbucks with her to see what kind of deal she wanted to make; needless to say, both of us nearly choked on our water from laughing so hard. Unbelievable--that's my most interesting "bulb brokering" story from recently.

That one would be G italicus Deb. It's notoriously sold in the US in place of byzantinus for some reason, the byz's are so expensive there ($12 a bulb) and very cheap here, from £0.15 from one place, £2.95 for 10 at jacquesamand, some places sell it for more though. They don't always set seed but do increase bulbs, could be the reason.

http://www.jacquesamand.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JAUK&Category_Code=gladiolus

My Rhodophiala bagnoldii still have 2 hanging on out of the 6, I think the other 4 may have gone as they went ages ago. The R. rhodolirion is still hanging on but only just.

Glad to know your byzantinus flowered well voss, they should increase and give you heaps more.

Deb, white byzantinus doesn't compute with me, was that a con? I searched and found a site mentioning under 'perennials' byzantine glad with purple or white flowers, I wonder if that was meant to be purple and white.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/southerngarden/landtable.html

On the next link the colour is given as 'purple, white' which it is with white streaks. I think the other site got this muddled!

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/southerngarden/chart2.html

'most common heirloom gladiolus in the south'

http://www.gonursery.com/resource/bulbs_naturalizing.php

I do know some people have dug them up from old homesteads, the real thing.

deb is right. I have heard people saying they own or they have for sale the White byzantinus. It's probably the same people that were going around selling a purple Lady Banks rose, ugh.

http://www.oldhousegardens.com/bulb.asp?Cat=SGL

A couple of years ago I read Old House Gardens' blurb on byzantinus, how they had the real deal and how the european bulbs were not the real deal. I don't know what to think about that. see link above and scroll to the byzantinus. Is that just hype? They are a serious business but this seems a bit over the top. I dunno, just thinking aloud.

It is in Scott Ogden's book Janet--and hers were the ones pictured in his book. There is such a thing--there is an abstract on the IBS site done on this with the DNA. On the member's only part. I can download and mail it to you. She had the real deal and she's about to launch her company. We picked up some other things from her--she just wanted 'Blood Diamonds' wholesale prices for those. I'm well aware of all the byzantine controversy.

I think oldhousegardens is going over the top if he has mentioned the European one being false, they are native to Europe! They have been in this country for a very long time, and the people who stock them are normally 'proper plantspeople'. He does mention 'Dutch imposters' which is the main bulb market and many bulb sellers do sell the wrong one, there not here.

It seems he doesn't even use his own photo, if he grows them I would have thought he could, assuming this pic is the botanical gardens own.

http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/plants/2006sp_glads.html

Unfortunately my gladiolus book is Sth African species and no google search mentions the white form of byzantinus. I would like to see the document on it Deb, thanks.

Beth Chatto

http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/plant%20portraits%20g/gladiolus%20communis%20subsp.%20byzantinus.html

Avon bulbs

http://www.avonbulbs.com/detail/166

"Gladiolus byzantinus has been known and loved in British gardens since 1629."

Janet, I paraphrased and I did it badly. Old House Garden didn't state European ones are fakes. My apologies. They only reference the dutch imposters.

Funnily I found smgrowers have byzantinus, which they got from oldhouse, they look just like mine! (which trhey should). Of course early settlers will have taken them to the US.

http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=3042

Interesting 1911 encyclopedia article,

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Gladiolus

50 for £8 here, now I will have to see what else they have! I'm now finding online sites that sell bulk very cheaply.

http://www.eurobulbs.co.uk/acatalog/miscellaneous.html

Actually--one of the growers for old schoolhouse bulbs is right up the road from me in Hempstead, Voss. They definitely have a network of Southern Growers for them--I just don't sell wholesale unless I'm really desperate to move something--kid starting college this fall.

Scott Ogden page 180--Gladiolus byzantinus 'Alba' right next to the G tristus pic. To quote the reading:
'Alba' a delightful white SPORT of Gb is found in some older gardens in the south. Although slow in growth, it is permanent and ideal for when the magenta color would be overpowering.

Not to change topics but this just came up--a guy has some Worsleya procera bulbs he wants to get rid of--if I could get a few interested folks I could probably drive him down on price. Just not sure if I can handle a lot of them--let me see what kind of price he wants for them.
http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Worsleya

Speaking of my darling child (this is tongue in cheek)--she did make it back with batteries before I got up at 5 to go to work. Got this crinum about to burst (this is the second to bloom this spring).

Thumbnail by dmj1218

And here's the Rhodophiala mendocina seedlings Voss--I intentionally did not alter the brightness or sharpness--they are holding that nice green color. Those are tall quart pots they are in.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

mendocina. wow i'm impressed.
would be interested in worsleya.

I'm waiting on him to call me back--He called and left message while I was at work, I called back told him I was definitely interested on his machine, now I'm waiting for him to call back. I just hope his price is good. I could sell a zillion of those seeds--lol

I remember seeing them on ebay some time back featured as Blue amaryllis, rather than their proper name. wonder if I will live long enough to see them bloom, lol.

These are bulbs not seeds.

Deb, it is bulbs and not seeds of the Worsleya? I ask because you mention both! OK you have answered that! Any idea on the size?

I desperately need a Worsleya! If they are reasonable in price count me in!

Your daughter was out all night? You get up at 5am? Your crinum is looking healthy, I have a C. x powelli (about the only one you find common here) bought last year which is looking strong, I have hopes of flowers.

I found a white Glad on PBS which has similar form, the white stripes surrounded by purple. G palustris white form

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/MiscellaneousGladiolus

Not all night--just after midnight and before 5 am--lol
She is 18 and an adult.

Now don't get me wrong--I will pay $25 for a bulb, just not a glad bulb. It would not surprise me if this guy wants that much or more for the Worsleya. I'll try to scan the book pic and send it to you of the Glad (there is also a really nice Tristus right next to it--you will get two for one--lol). If everyone at work didn't have their scanners packed up for summer, I'd dmail it to you. Let me see what I can do at work tomorrow---tomorrow is the last day and I don't have top go back until the 21st of Aug...let me tell you, I am very happy. I just tried my scanner at home--its acting goofy, but I'll play with it later tonight.

Speaking of goofy, my Gladiolus dalenii is growing and standing under its own power--today anyway. It's in a rather weedy (to put it mildly) bed and its behind some heirloom daff's that are going down. That is why I haven't mess with that bed much--although now I should have a little more time to do so. Round aboutly this came thru an IBS friend--its from Tony's stock (thus the link)--he's also IBS member. Supposed to do really well in the deep south but does not bloom here until much later than the hybrids (I have some goofy hybrids from a bag blooming now--nothing special).

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/05990.html

Thumbnail by dmj1218

G dalenii looks strong but lonely, it will increase. Very interested to see the white byzantinus, I take pics of pics with my digital.

I can tell you are pleased to be off work! The profession has some advantages.

Worsleyas can cost hundreds, there is someone here who has connections with the industry, works in the nursery business I think. He has been selling hipps and clivias on ebay, setting up this website too, grows them as a hobby. Offering Worsleyas at £95 inclusive, no updates though and I really don't want to pay that.

http://www.hippeastrums.co.uk/4.html

Now $25 would be great.......

This message was edited Jun 13, 2007 11:07 PM

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here are some of my Gladiolus communis ssp. byzantinus starting to bloom. I planted these late last fall. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Looking good Patti! They do look to be the correct ones. Mine have finished now, but they are established.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Wallaby1, thanks, I think it is a terrific color in a small dose. Speaking of color that rose that is posted today by Dave from you in 2003 is a wonderful color. It will have to go in my wanted file. 'Rhapsody in Blue'. I planted 30 Gladiolus acidanthera (Peacock Orchid) this spring and they have sent up great foliage, so I am optimistic. Patti

Patti, where did Dave post the rose? I can't find it!

My Gladiolus callianthus (Acidanthera) haven't come up yet, they should as they were large and healthy, I will have to have a dig......

Rhapsody in Blue is a fantastic rose, a very different scent to others, delicate, not too stong. It's blooming it's heads off this year, it's always reliable here.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

wallaby1, well it was in the random image on the home page this morning in the lower left corner. But it is gone now. That was your 5 min of fame! I recently was emailing Becky of Brent and Becky about their green labels ( I want some) and in one of the e-mails, I sent her colleges of some of the bulbs that I have bought from them. She has posted the pictures on their website in the customer gallery. I was pleased to see them on the site. My 5 min.
The glads are just foliage, but I counted 27 or 28 out of the 30 and they are all up between 18 and 24" on the west side of my house. I am going to dig 1/2 of them and leave the rest to see if they will winter over. There are 2 easy sources for Rhapsody in Blue in the 'plant files' so I will order one next spring. Patti

Patti

Hey Janet--I've got some emergence on those dormant glads started last winter--and they stayed outside too. If you are around--I'll get out there and id the species that are re-emerging in 2nd season. G. tristis is for sure. I need to get the journal out and check the numbers this weekend--its dark everyday now when I get home from work due to time change. :( to the darkness and :) to the re-emergence. Looks like G carneus is one of them.
Deb

We need to talk seeds too--its that time of year again. dmail me.

Hi Deb! Me too, mine in the greenhouse I will bet were no warmer than yours outside this summer!

G tristis var. aestivalis has made a show (name from memory!), many of those I sowed in April and May are now germinating. The last 12 (autumn sowing species) have been sowed more recently, I wish I could have got around to doing them when I did the others now but it is a good experiment to try them at different times.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.