Gladiolus communis ssp byzantinus

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I would be interested in a list of species planted in spring that are germinatiing with the onset of cold. Mine that did not germinate from March/April sowing I brought inside in early Sept for just that reason. What would I do with seeds germinating in the fall? I just don't want to baby them through the winter.

These I brought in in Sept:
G. gerardii
G. palustris

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I will write them down Lefty, I have taken some pics but some of the dates are not visible.

Hopefully mine will be OK in the greenhouse over winter, we don't quite get the same lows as you do!

G. flanaganii is one I think you had germinate earlier, so did mine with a few thin leaves which didn't last for long. It started to grow again recently, while I turned my back it has raced away! Pic taken today.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

G. floribundus ssp. floribundus has raced too, it started to germinate not that long ago but I can't say exactly when, perhaps in September. I'll get the sowing dates tomorrow if I remember, but it's going to be another cold day, only 9C.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I think we should start a new thread here. I'll do the honors.

Continued here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/788444/

This message was edited Nov 8, 2007 5:26 PM

Thanks Lefty, I was thinking the same thing. I will add to the new thread tomorrow.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Janet--are these coming true from seed? The reason I'm asking is I started some from seed a couple of years ago sort of as an experiment and not paying too close attention to them as far as care goes. They have been out in my "pot ghetto" for bulb seeds that are "own their own" as far as survival goes. They are growing rather well and I'm thinking a few might bloom this year. Was wondering what to expect on them.
=)

Also the Worseya guy is selling bulbs again this year (reading thru this thread again brought this to mind). I've just cut and pasted you the info on the email I got. I can dmail/email you the pictures (there are 2 of them) or just forward you the entire email sent to me if you want the pictures. Or you can email the European connection listed down there a ways and he will email you the pictures I imagine.

I think $50 US dollars is pretty cheap now for Europeans, right?

I really like his remark about if you do not know if you are in the Southern Hemisphere or not. ;)

CUT AND PASTED MESSAGE:

Hi Everyone

I am currently in the intial stages of organising a shipment of worsleya to the US of you are intereseted in ordering some plants please contact me. They will be priced at $50 each plus shipping (looks like this will be about $10) see details below for some more info.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes
Ron Redding
Hervey Bay
Australia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: worsleya_procera@yahoogroups.com
Subject: The Plants
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:10:07 +1000

HI ALL

It looks like there is enough interest for this to go ahead here are some photos of the plants I plan on sending they are in 8 inch pots and are really starting to kick along they are about the size of the shipment that Glenn did for John a couple of years ago. I expect them to put on a fair bit of weight between now and May in my growing conditions.

If you want proof of this here are some of the plants that were smaller before I started to show their capacity to grow on the Australian Bulb Association web site. You might like to compare what they are now to what they were then. You will see some rows of very small plants in my collection they are seed grown and will become valued parents later on. Some of the medium sized plants are different clones however are not from seed but are from different plants that have come at great cost in time and money.

I have sent plants smaller than these around the world with great results and if you follow the growing regime of some of the experienced people of this group you will not look back as they grow much more rapidly than a plant from seed. I will be taking orders soon and will let you all know the procedure and the plan for the plants.

IF YOU ARE NOT FROM THE US YOU WILL NEED TO LET ME KNOW WHAT IS REQUIRED TO IMPORT PLANTS INTO YOUR COUNTRY AND IF YOU NEED A PHYTO.

IF YOU ARE FROM EUROPE YOU WILL NEED TO CONTACT JUNIUS DE BRISAY AT junius@onetel.net NOT ME.

IF YOU ARE IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE CONTACT ME YOU WILL NOT GET A PLANT UNTIL SEPTEMBER (IF YOU DO NOT KNOW IF YOU ARE IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE DO NOT CONTACT ANYONE AS YOU WILL NOT BE GETTING A WORSLEYA).

My email address is ron_redding@hotmail.com if you do not send your order to this address I will not get it as there is way too much discussion under the heading of Worsley US imports. Please use the heading of 'My Worsleya Order' thanks so much for your interest and my we all enjoy these plants and be able to show off their flowers sooner rather than later.

This is my second attempt to send this message sorry too many photos at once.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes
Ron Redding
Hervey Bay
Australia

They should come true Deb, mine were self sets from seed after I dug up the originals and didn't get them planted, lol, couldn't find a spot. They grow well now though amongst the fuchsias I put in their place. I had a couple flower in 2 years, the rest flowered after 3.

Thanks for the Worsleya info, I would like to see the pics. Junius had/has them here for GBP95.00, I think he must have got them from the same person last year but their website for hippeastrums wasn't updated to say they had them then. I just checked his site and it's recently been changed, still under construction.

http://hippeastrum.co.uk/

Of course there are other costs to be added, such as shipping from Australia and phyto certs., then profits, so they won't be that cheap in the end.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is Ron's sale so you do need to let him know you are aware that its Ron's sale. This is a club sale, not a private person sale. But they will probably be gone soon (for another year) so quickly let him know that you are aware is in order.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.