Growout Results of Ukigumo x Youjiro

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Ok,Here is the thread. I`m pressed for time so I`ll make it short and sweet. I got curious last year about what happens if you cross two JMGs. I found two flowers about to open. I opened up the pod parent (Ukigumo) removed the pollen and tied it back closed. The I simply tie the bloom on a youjiro to keep the pollen inside clean and unadulterated by insects.

The next morning I removed pollen from youjiro and rubbed the pollen on the pistil of the Ukigumo. That is about as graphic as it gets when you are creating seed pods with these morning glories. Well, the pod "took". 30 or so days later I found 1 seed inside the dried pod and planted it.

This is the pod parent flower:

Thumbnail by gardener2005

Here is the pollen parent: Youjiro Blue

This is the F1 result of the seed I planted from this cross:

Take a very good look at this picture because I have not seen a repeat of this image in the results of F2.

The rest of the thread is gong to be devoted to the upcoming results of all the F2 seeds I could find scarfed off this one plant you see in the picture.

DG needs to give me special extra editing priveledge. It is going,not gong...(Oh weelll..I`ll fix it tomorrow since I can`t edit anymore....)

Here are pictures of some results. I also shared these seeds with a few and I cannot remember who all got some of these. If you grew them then be sure to pipe up and post a picture here. :)

This is one of the first results. Gee, It looks so much like the yojiro. I wondered what happened to the blizzard?

Darn it..it is spelled youjiro. :)

OK, now for a second of the very many youjiro look alikes...

Did I mention a lot of them came out something like this? Yep, I did.

another:

Here is a cool bug eaten one:

And then just when I thought I was destined to view only blue youjiro looking flowers sort of like I thought all my kids would look just like my husband...I find this one.

and this...

This morning things got rather interesting. I even found a rather psychedelic one.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Really Nice Flowers Paul

Gee, where did this come from?

I decided to recross this one with the one with white rays to see if that would make a combo of that pattern with the white rays. Then it would have to be grown out and picked through to get rid of hidden recessives for 4- 5 generations.

This message was edited May 14, 2007 2:27 PM

Paul, Thanks for the compliment!

Here is one more for the day. I liked this one for the wide white markings.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous blues

Thanks! There are 30 or so more seeds planted and little baby plants up and coming for more results. There is no telling what else will show up here.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow and beautiful! F-2's a kicker! Arlan was right .. anything goes!

X

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

You may have givein me a few of the seeds ill look if i have any ill start theam Paul

(Zone 7a)

I've stored this thread where I can find it when the vines from your seed bloom here. Very glad we're doing this.

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Karen, you are to be commended on this documentation of your project. Excellent work! It makes a very nice demonstration.

I noticed from your picture of Ukigumo, that it had variegated leaves. I have not noticed any variegated leaves in your F2 pictures yet. Have any shown up? What about leaf color...Ukigumo had yellow leaves?

Arlan

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

Who needs University Mixed seeds, we have Karen. These are smokin hot. Your pictures are of many peoples' dreams coming true. Keep up the great work. We really needed a bright spot about now. Frank

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 9b)

Karen, son't wprry about the spelling and not being ble to edit. Frank

Hi, Well thanks for the compliments. Ya`ll can make flowers like this too. :)

I think it is plain fun for a hobby.

Arlan, Yes, there are variegated vines in this batch but there are fewer variegated than there are solid. The yellow/green comes from the Ukigumo but is showing up solid minus the variegation. That is what has been manifested after the roll of genetic dice here.

Ok,I won`t worry so much about the spelling. :)

This message was edited May 14, 2007 9:16 PM

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

My goodness Karen they are all spectacular!!!

Great work!! And beautiful photography!!!

Thank you! I have only a few more out of this batch to bloom yet. Then the thread will lul for while since the second batch is all babies. It will take about 4-6 weeks for results of the second batch.

Here is a picture of one of the same ones. It is a blue ray patterned blizzard with solid medium green leaves.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Could you please do a long shot of all your mg and describe how you grow them .. like I see chicken wire and such.

X

OK,will do that tomorrow...

This is my back yard.

The bed to the right is where this grow out is located.

A close up. I hate the chicken wire but it keeps cats and armadillos out of my plants. I didn`t get any new blooms today but will post as soon as they open.

More pics.... blue blizzard,ray white and yellow gre leaves. Only one in about 27 flowers came out this way.

Here is another one:

We are about through with the first batch. Many looked like plain youjiros but I`m sure the color is probably hiding in there.

Here is a blue one.

The second batch is under way. I have about 30 seeds planted and waiting enough time for most all of them to come up. I`ll share more pictures later.

Here is another form the first batch. This one had normal leave for first two three and then they changed to look rounded.

Here is the leaf. It looks different.

I`ll update if anything further interesting happens with batch one.

Now batch two is sprouted and I have put the cotyledons into 4 groups.

Total 29 seedlings

1. yellow(2)
2.yellow with red viens(5)
3.green(3)
4.green with red veins(19) A big portion,huh? Maybe this is dominant?

Some out of every color are rounded looking cotyledons. There are 8 of those.(Possibly a 1 in 4 occurance?)

Here is picture to illustrate what I`m seeing.

This message was edited May 19, 2007 5:05 PM

Here they are inside the fortress to keep them safe.

Here is a cotyledon close up. Now it is time to grow!

I will be back later for updates. Bye for now. Karen

Here is one more interesting finding from the first batch. The leaf changed to a more rounded shape. Now we are waiting for the second batch of F2s to grow. I`ll be back later.

This message was edited May 26, 2007 1:58 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.