Sick Of Leeches

Yorkshire,

LOL at you two (Mike and Tropicana).
Mike, are you trying to become 'Gazza's' next best friend. 'Five bellies' might have slimmed down a bit by now, LOL Would love to see that picture of you with the stupid expression. I could print it out and use it to keep the pigeons off the cabbage plants (just joking.....honest!)

Tropic, we need to have a sense of humour to live over here, we have a bunch of clowns running our country. It's a laugh a minute, LOL

Terri

PS. Thanks for the giggle, now Mike can stop trailing the internet for pictures of male models to post. **wink**

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Isnt Gazza somewhere near me now? Or is he in Japan? I had a feeling he was in Boston.

My face won't work on pidgeons... i wish it did... works on slugs though!

I'll post one pic here just so you know where Tropic is at....

I'm on the left..

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Yorkshire,

Aha, now you see Mike, you can't catch me out like that. Those luvverly lads are from my town, unless you've had a 'Journey South' lately.

Not sure where Gazza is at the moment (what would he be doing in Boston?) I was talking to one of his friends today too (should have asked him.) Can just imagine him going for a paddle at Mablethorpe, hehehe

Hehehe I figured they where "none famous" enough for me to get away with that one.

Unless of course i am one of them.. heheh... mind you i woudnt admit to that one. lol

I heard he was coaching there... think he's stumbled downwards from his famous days.

Lebanon, OR

I used to trade ALLOT, but after several rather rude and very large trades (that is a joke, I sent, they never did) I just said no more trade list.

I have tons of stuff to trade, but it got to the point that either I received
super small trades and I send nice ones, like what I would want to receive, or nothing.

I always stated please NO POSTAGE but TRADES I got allot of basically gimme...

I enjoy trading but with more and more gimme ones or just take and run, I trade less and less.

Many of you have spent, time, money, energy digging, cleaning, labelling, preparing for shipping and many of you been taken. This used to really fun.

I know that more and more traders (joke) just want you to give them the iris and daylilies for NOTHING...

Sorry for the ranting.

D

Yorkshire,

Denise!! How LOVELY to 'see' you!! What you say is true and to me it isn't a rant. I know how much hard work you put into growing your irises and Daylilies and I also know the quality of your plants (wonderful!) so you are justified in doing what you did. I would have done exactly the same. Like you, I do appreciate manners and fairness when I trade. 'Give aways' are completely different things to trades and I think people often **forget** this.
Take a look at this pic. It's one of your irises in bloom, and bloomin' gorgeous it is too :o)
I wish I lived nearer to you, we could do so many great trades, and I wouldn't expect 'something for nothing' either

Mike, if you're one of 'Journey South' how about a journey north :o) LOL
Gazza, coaching Boston.......hahaha, my mind boggles.

Terri

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Lebanon, OR

Terri
Glad that the iris are doing well for you...

As you will notice I do not have a trade list or a rating here as I hardly trade anymore. Now if I trade it is plants for my own garden. That way if wrong it is not for the business but for my own enjoyment. Errors can and do happen, that I will never get ticked about but the gimme gimme gimme attitude of many new people who come into any garden forum gets to me...

D

Hey Terri,
Ok Ok that wasn't me Terry. This could be me in the middle of this pic??!!

Heheh

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Yorkshire,

LOL, Mike, you leave little old Geoff out of this you big bully. Bless him, wonder what he's up to nowdays...probably in training at Boston with Gazza.

Do you know every Z lister? Old Geof Capes doesn't look so strong as he once did. Actually i have a feeling this was in Boston... He does openings etc. I think this was to get grant money for sports facilities.

ok ok I'm on the left of this one.. heheh

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Yorkshire,

I don't know him (but he has a face like a smacked behind, LOL) Ahhhhh, but in his day 'old Geoff' was quite something :o))

Okay, enough, enough, (Now we all know you look like a cross between George Clooney and Brad Pit - with a bit of Journey South thrown in for good measure)

We really shouldn't hijack Westo's thread (sorry Westo, couldn't resist the banter with Mike.)
Back to the 'Leeches' issue again......

Terri

(Zone 1)

The thread was more of just a rant. I wasn't expecting it to go anywhere so wherever it goes is fine. I am glad ( in a sick twisted way ) that other more experienced gardeners have noticed this same gimmie trend. It sucks how people have taken such advantage of others kindness and hard work.

Irisloverdee - If I had large quantities of Iris or Daylilies I certainly wouldn't bother listing them either. I know the few plants I do list attract enough bad attention and I am sure the more popular plants like Daylilies and Iris would attract even more attention. It is sad but I think just being blunt and very picky is the only way to really be able to trade online.

I want all my trades in Latin! lol no good giving me common names... might as well be talking a foreign language to me! I only understand latin names.

Terri That last one was Roger Black the runner. one last one... you will never get it.... left the best till last.. lol

Brad pit i wish .... i wouldnt even look like him if i skinned him and wore him as a big Brad suit! hehe

Lol i love this pic.... Just think wind in the willows... lol

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, who is that last guy? He's really hot. I'd take his wife on in a MUD wrestling match for him-lol

sorry westo, last hijack. couldn't help myself :)

Yorkshire,

You've got me there Mike....Geoff Boycott, Dickie Bird??? Can't remember either having wind during a cricket match though, LOL

Terri

Lol, Sorry that one was a joke... it was just a guy i met in Hong kong on business... very funny but as ugly as .... well you can see how ugly. lol

Reminded me of toad from toad hall....lol

Mike

Yorkshire,

Awwwwwwww, that's not nice Mike. He has a face only a mother could love, LOL

Tropicana is obviously 'smitten' (a bit like a rabbit caught in headlights, rofl)
Beauty, after all, is in the eye of the beholder :o)
Speaking of which, my variegated Geum bloomed for the first time yesterday and I've seen better looking weeds. After waiting all this time for it to bloom it is so disappointing. Ever had that feeling of your stomach sinking to your feet? Obviously someone out there liked it though.

Terri

Terri, Have you ever seen variegated ground elder? Thats got to be the daftest plant ever.

My mother used to say.."Beauty is skin deep.... Ugly is to the bone!" Not sure who she was aiming that comment to!

I have his Phone number Tropic if you get that.... hmmmm how can i say it nicely........ desperate.. lol

Mike

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok, I mean it, this is the last one-

So what do I have to do to get his number, mike?

Jump through hoops! lol

Coquitlam, BC

Hi Westocast, I have recently joined Daves and feel very passionate about your original comment, I sympathise with you. I moved over to the UK some 6 years ago from the Vancouver area and am very used to the Canadian/US seeds.I have most shipped over and I do have a very big collection of some seeds. I do contribute a lot to an English forum and will happilly swap my seeds, the problem I have is that most folks want mine because they are different to what they can get here and yet it is rare that anyone has anything I can get in return, so I find invariably I ended up the loser.

I find also that some folks have no problem assuming that because I might mention something in a post, then I have spares and so I get a lot of requests, and some folks never do offer anything in return,often I get a one liner that is rather abrupt.

A kind polite request will almost always get something from me as I appreciate that folks want something new,and with those requets I am not so concerned that they have nothing to offer me.

I recently did a round robin,I started it and it eventually came back to me,I sent out some wonderful seeds all of which were taken, and I got a bag of junk back and about half the quantity too. I found this very upsetting.

I have yet to come up with a kind way of saying not interested and yet most times I am frankly not. I don't feel I should have to lie or make excusues.

That is my rant, thank you for listening

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I have never been involved in a round robin or large seeds swap but I do know, one mans trash is another man;s treasure and the person may have thought because he.she loved the flowers you might to. We sometimes set our expectations way to high. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder sometimes.
Also Culture deversity may be why you think others are rude.

Look at my seed list and if you see anything you think worth have I will send it to you.

LOL

Lavina

Coquitlam, BC

You are probably very right Lavina and I should not be critical, I suppose I didn't allow for the "one mans treasure" thing as much as I should have.It is difficult to understand why I got mostly empty packets returned though and many were not the packets I sent so I think something went wrong somwhere, however it is done now so that's that.

Thank you for the offer of seeds, I actually do have have rather a lot but I am always interested in adding to a growing collection and indeed sharing ,mine too.

I will try to figure out how to look at swaps offered, and how to post one too.

Thank you so much

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have just had another interesting experience doing a trade. I was trading a rooted plant for some cuttings and was requested to add some unrooted coleus as freebie. No problem, I cut back coleus all the time. Sent the plant and cuttings.

Got a mail a few days later with 6 photos of what I will call 'cooked cuttings'. It seems the Postal service had taken their sweet time getting the package to its destination (6-7 days). At first the email said 'just look at what you sent, don't you care?'. I pointed out that I paid for 2-3 delivery and it really wasn't my fault. I had sent free cuttings that weren't even part of the trade. After getting a few mails I finally agreed to send some more. This person had no concept that I had just made two trips to the post office, packing & paying for what was two barely rooted sticks of begonia. I figure those two cost me about $15 each, my time may not be worth much to others, but, it is to me.

I have taken every plant, except coleus, off my trade list. It is going to be very hard in the future to get me to trade anything. I will still be giving away plants and seeds when I have them, but, I am going to make sure that I get my postage up front and I won't be sending anything extra.

Anyone ever notice that there are rarely any people in my photos?

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
North Augusta, ON

It is a shame how a few bad apples can spoil things for the rest of us......

Ballintleva, Ireland

Dale...that is the worst to date....this thread is putting me right off trading!
I'm thinking that if I want plants - I will just go and buy them
Pity.
Sue

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Dale, sorry to hear about your experience. I think when you get to the point where most of your stuff is rare, you get hounded pretty strongly. So sorry to hear that they were rude on top of it. Just wanted to telll folks in the US that you can print out shipping labels and arrange for the mail carrier to pick up boxes at your door (look up usps.com-print labels or carrier pick up). It is so much easier for trading.

I had a lady dmail me for cannas early in spring, I let her know I would notify her when I divided them. Heard from her a couple more times (when I was too busy to even pee) so I went out and divided them (just to have peace), and got together some other nice things she didn't ask for because she seemed like she did not have much in her garden. I dmailed her to get her address and never heard from her again...lol

But the flipside is, I have had so many people be very generous, and I've noticed a correlation between making people laugh and their generosity. I've gotten nicer boxes of plants from traders at times when I've also received boxes that weren't so great from vendors.

Yorkshire,

Dale, that's dreadful!! It wasn't your fault and to put the blame on your shoulders was totally unfair. I'm so sorry you've had such a bad experience. That was enough to put anyone off trading again.
I think that there will always be people 'out there' who will not stop to consider the time, effort, expense and trouble people go to when sending plants through the mail. The amount of work that goes into digging, splitting, selecting nice, healthy plants, packing and labelling them and then packing and mailing the package is tremendous and most people appreciate that. Many of us have to travel some distance to the nearest post office and we do it because of our love of gardening and to share with other like-minded people. I've been very fortunate that every person I've traded with has been appreciative and grateful. Just as well because an experience like the one you had would put me off for good.

Sue, don't let Dale's nasty experience put you off trading. Some/most of us appreciate it when people offer us lovely plants that we don't already have. There will always be a few bad experiences for all of us if we do lots of trades. Perhaps we should just make sure that our trading partners have manners :o) Trading is a lovely way of getting to know people and to learn about their lives and the plants they like to grow. Yes, we can always go out and buy plants, but then we're not going to get that great feeling that comes with sharing and building 'good Karma', are we?

Just my 5 penn'orth

Terri

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Oh Dale how sad, I have had a few bad things happen but overall I have been lucky. .
I have some nice coleus from Sugar that are doing great but I was lucky I found them on my pourch before we left for the coast or they would have fried but I would never point out things the wasy that person did. It takes lots of time to do trades.

Lavina

Dale.... i can't believe you didn't go round and plant there garden up for them... how rude! lol

I didn't like to ask about why we don't see you in any of the pics... i figure youre just to good lookin like me... yeah right!

Mike

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Self portrait, this is not directed at anyone, I just like the bizarre. Who thinks these things up? I would love to have a short conversation with them and then go home.

this one will give the censors the willies, so enjoy it before it disappears>

This message was edited Jun 19, 2007 9:07 PM

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Yorkshire,

LOL

Dale, I saw one of those mooning gnomes in someones garden a few years ago and have wanted one ever since.

Terri

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I needed a good laugh and the Gnome has made my day.

My pet peeve is when you ask for SASBE and they send regular envelope and 39 cent/ 42 cent stamp on it and want 5 different kinds of seeds.
Because of new rate change to 42 cents and bubble envelope small has gone to $1.13 regardless of weight its a mess. I got 4 envelopes this week with 79 cents on it and 34 cents postage due..

And yeah this AM I put 12 envelopes back in the mail with seeds in them and bubbles for the regular envelopes . Plus I put their regular envelope back in the bubble in case they are new and don't understand things yet.I don't mind sending 1 thing of seeds in a regular envelope but learned the 1st year after 3 people told me they got envelopes that were torn and some seeds gone that I had to do something.

You guys all have a great day.

Lavina

Has anyone approached Dave or Terry about putting up a sticky post on the trading forums that speaks to issues such as this? I see a sticky for packing,but nothing on trading/requesting etiquette.

Donna

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL...I'm sorry, I can't help myself, I have to break another promise.

Dale, nice tooshie, bud....lol...anyone else?

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Somewhere there used to be a traders list thingy.
Also you can give feedback on a person if you click on their name.

Lavina

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

On the trading primer it does talk a bit about etiquette: http://davesgarden.com/trading/primer/

Ballintleva, Ireland

Oh my...I can't believe I have NEVER seen the feedback part!!!!
I've just been in to have a look....and I'm thinking of all those traders that must be disappointed that I didn't leave some for them!
How on earth did I manage to miss this!

Thanks Lavina!
Sue

Feedback.... yeah i allways forget... also i sound like i'm being false when i do leave feedback.. so have kind of put myself off it.

Dale... is that a self portrait?

Terri my dad whats a mooning gnome if you see ne let me know!

Mike

(Zone 1)

Wow dale that really does suck. My life has been rather quiet ever since this thread. Have had one trade request that I didn't initiate and it was only for some seeds. I think the lurkers have read my post and are now afraid of me. =P

As for the mooning gnomes. I believe these are the objects e-bay was created for LOL.

Hope everyone had a great spring cause summer is a coming. =D

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.