Let's see your blooms!

Hilliard, OH

Here's a picture of my Ken Donson clematis. The color in real life is a little bluer than this though. I'm just thrilled with how well it's doing this year. What they say about waiting until the third year for periennials is true!

Jomejamo

Thumbnail by jomejamo
No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Beautiful, jomejamo!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is Durandii. It's really bluer than this but that's hard to catch with a camera.

Thumbnail by doss

Definitely my next purchase!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

doss, are you by any chance, 'an enabler'? Beautiful clematis.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

In all ways. Just call me ms enabler. I've had enough from the other side although most of my clematis are from before DG. If you are talking about daylilies, iris, hostas, Japanese Maples though............... Well, it's been really fun to fill out my garden with the help of everyone here.

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Ahhhhhh, My Dorothy Walton is still a baby but she is going to bloom anyways. Here she is now....

Thumbnail by lauriwilson
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

4 out of 6 of my clematis have buds, but we are under a frost and freeze warning for tonight. The vines may have to start all over again.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, I hope not! Praying for warm.

Oh, no. I remember my cousin in Mertztown one year losing all her spring flowers to a frost. How frustrating. Keeping fingers crossed!

Vancouver, Canada

My clematis last year, before it appears to have died over the winter after covering a large fence with flowers like this for ten or fifteen years.

Thumbnail by wdr2wdr
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Beatuiful Clematis blooms everyone!

wdr2wdr: What a pretty Clematis Montana variety. Are you sure it is dead? It may surprise you. It could just be a delay in flowering.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, we had frost - it was 31 degrees. The vines look good and the buds seem unaffected. The large bud on The President is starting to part at the tip. Can you tell, I have not grown clematis before and am waiting on pins and needles!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ernest Markham. He's my only bloomer so far, but he's the oldest, so that makes sense. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow Deb, love that color pink. Ernest is a beauty!

My Ernest Markham is blooming out good.........

Thumbnail by lauriwilson

And another of teh Duchess of Edinbrugh

Thumbnail by lauriwilson
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

lauriwilson, your photos are beautiful. I planted Duchess of Edinburgh last August. It has two buds so far, I am so glad you posted pics of what I can expect.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Lauriwilson – nice Duchess!

Doss – you always have some of the prettiest samples! I just got “the president" in, potted it up and It’s looking pretty sad. We have had a lot of rain lately so I’m hoping it will dry out and spring back.

Etoile Rose is so delicate looking!

Matka Sidelski has been added to my want list, I really like whites!!!

Wow! Ken Donson is cool! have to add it too, okay I like purple!

Se eds - I’m so glad to hear things are doing okay, when we had a late freeze in April (it lasted about 5 days) I was out there daily checking on things, drove me nuts and very stressful.

DebinSC - what is your Ernest Markham growing on? very full and compact. Beautiful! I thought (which can be harmful to ones health) Ernest was redder? Than purple. Another one I just got in. http://www.all-about-planters.com/images/clematis_ernest_markham.jpg

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hope that the President does well for you. It's a lovely vine.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ghia: My Ernest is growing on a too-small trellis, which is probably why it looks full. It has nowhere to go. This is it's 3rd year and the first time it has gotten big enough to need more climbing space. This winter I plan to replace that trellis with a larger one so it can keep on climbin'.
The blooms do look red when they are just opening, but the color in my photo is pretty close to true. Maybe different light or soil conditions cause variations in the color? Just a guess. I don't know, though. Here's a photo from teh same plant when it bloomed last fall. Slightly redder cast than now.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Here's Matka this morning.

This only the second season I've seen her bloom, last year only one or two blooms.
I never notice the hints of green before. I think I'm in love!

Thumbnail by nikki_conway

Here's Voluceau.
It's growing up a trellis with white dawn, but WD is not blooming yet.

Thumbnail by nikki_conway
Greenwich, OH

Here is sunset clematis that has started to bloom.

Thumbnail by skimper
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

My god, they are beautiful! The bud on "The President" has opened but is not full yet. The edges are not unfurled. If it doesn't storm tomorrow I too, will have a picture!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Finally! - I've been watching this for days. It is very windy today and the vine is in the shade. Guess that is why it is purple instead of blue. My camera does blues and purples accurately and this one is purple. 2nd day open.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is a better photo of the Proteus. It's slightly paler than this in the sunshine.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

And a whole vine of Durandii

Thumbnail by doss
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

doss, your photos are so beautiful. Can't wait until my vines have a year or two's growth on the roots. Your vines are spectacular!

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

doss, I've heard durandii is not a climber. Is this true for you? Also how long do the blooms last? And how big does it get? It sure is a beautiful clematis. I'am thinking it would look nice with rugoochi.

doss, something about that Proteus makes me want to dance! What a very pretty thing. All the photos are great.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Durandii doesn't climb - it has to be tied up or wound through a structure. i'll bet that it would look good with Rooguchi too. It blooms at about the same time. The blooms last a pretty long time but I'm really not sure about the answer to the question. It's still getting flowers on it.

(Jana) Shoreline, WA(Zone 8a)

This is my first year with clematis. I've had one bloom off of the Multi-Blue so far.

Thumbnail by colliwobbles
Greenwich, OH

sunset clematis blooms today.

Thumbnail by skimper
Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Agh! This is killing me. All my clematis are little babies and I probably won't get any blooms until next year at the very earliest, maybe even longer! All of your vines are so beautiful! I'm dying of envy.

Valerie

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

colliwobbles and skimper - your photographs are lovely. Thank you for sharing them. I am in a colder climate and patiently waiting for bloom from plants I planted last year as well as some I planted this year.

I think it is great to share these pics - so we will all know what we have to look forward to.
Doss, your's are so special. Thank you.

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

All mine are just babies too but just had to show these...my very first bloom is Durandi. It really is blue like Doss says. And the one with all the buds is Alionuska. Just got Durandi from Brushwood and Alionushka from Silver Star. Both are great places to get nice healthy plants.

Thumbnail by rosethyme
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Nice Rosethyme... One of the best things about clematis is that they are really heritage plants. It takes some time for them to take off but then they are very long-lived. Who knows how long they will be in the garden?

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

That's good to know, Doss. I've decided they're a lot easier to grow than roses...not that I could do without the roses though.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

What a gorgeous time of the year. It is very dry here. I take a half gallon vinegar jug, well washed and cut a small hole in the bottom. Fill it with a mix of water and fish emulsion and set the jug over the base of the plant. I filled in the holes with rough shredded bark mulch when I planted the vines. This makes a nice cushion for the water mix to trickle down into the root ball.

When I just pour the water on, most of it runs away.
"Climador", planted last spring is loaded with buds and just starting to bloom. It is a dark purple with a reddish midrib.

Thumbnail by se_eds

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.