Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

This is some of my so far this year.

"Hyde Hall"

Thumbnail by ghia_girl
Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

"Elsa Spath"

Thumbnail by ghia_girl
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Very Pretty!!..My "Elsa Spathe" hasn't bloomed yet!!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful! My "Elsa Spath" has just started blooming. Time to dig out my camera!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Yea Shirl!!..I so look forward to seeing your gardens and clematis this year!!...Jeanne

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Here are some of mine in bloom

The President

Thumbnail by lauriwilson
No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Wow, now that is what I call blue! Gorgeous.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, lauri, I just planted that one last August. Can't wait to see it bloom

I believe this one is "Baltyk". It's tag is hiding somewhere in the mulch.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Here's my "Elsa Spath" blooming this year.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
(Zone 4a)

Okay after seeing your pics on "Elsa Spath" I think I NEED one of those! They are so beautiful!!!! Thanks for sharing! Now hopefully I can find one around here hehehe.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

DawnLL - I got mine at the local hardware store. It seem fairly common.

Lauri - love the blue, does it keep it color?

Shirley - very nice!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

my Nelly Moser(?)--just opening-- from Wal-mart... why is it purple?? HA!! when I bought the plant, the bloom on it WAS the color of Nelly... I don't understand... this is my FIRST EVER clematis....

Thumbnail by shoobnanny
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Is your Nelly growing in the sun? Light pinks have a tendency to fade with too much sun.

One of mine opened its first (and only) bloom last year, It is potted on the North side of the house.

Marie

Thumbnail by Eden_in_ME
Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Marie - how does it grow on the north side. I know it may not bloom heavily, but how is the vine it's self? I've been thinking of planting a clemtis vine on the north side.

Shoobnanny - how long has it been in bloom? I've noticed the first couple days the coloring is alway different than the end result. "Hyde Hall" first picture on this thread open light green, after two or three days it brighten up to almost a pure white.

ghia_girl: The hardy Alpinias, Macropetalas, Montanas, and light colored Clematis do much better in a North or East location. In these more protected areas, they don't get as bleached out from the sun. It will bloom heavily if you feed it twice a year with either rose or tomato fertilizer.

Oops sorry, I forgot the link. http://www.chalkhillclematis.com/nursery_shop/partialshade.htm

This message was edited May 7, 2007 9:33 AM

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Shoobnanny..Ghia is correct..the first blooms on a baby clematis aren't always the color,size or shape as the ones on a mature clematis..give it some time and post a pic when more open ..the color of the anthers are ok but the bar should be considerably darker...so, I choose to hold off making a decision for now..LOL..Jeanne

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Ghia, I'm sad to say that none or the clems that I planted on the north side close to the house have even broken dormancy yet. Except for a Hagley Hybrid with is at the most Eastern side and gets more sun. Some were planted in tubs aboveground last Fall and some into the ground in pots. Hagley was an older plant when I bought it, so it went directly into the ground. Stems look very strong.

Many of the other plants treated either of the 3 ways that are further out and closer to the road have started puting out either leaves on the old vine or new growth from the roots.

More are up & running on my East side, which is the sunniest I have.

Marie

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I love that beautiful blue "The President". I noticed today that my (new from last Aug.) plant has a bud about an inch and a half long. Can't hardly wait!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

whew, ok thanks for easing my mind... this is only the second time it's bloomed

LOL I finally found the picture of the Duchess of Edinburgh...she is putting on quite the display right now................

Thumbnail by lauriwilson
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

lauri, that is a beautiful photo. I just got my "Duchess" last August, and here in the noth, she is sending out nice healthy vines but no sign of buds yet.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The President is really purple and my Nelly Moser really fades quickly even though it is on an east wall.

This message was edited May 8, 2007 7:52 PM

Thumbnail by doss

Shoot! Never mind, it's a beautiful flower and that's a great photo, doss.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Durandii is really blue with a yellow center. You have to tie it up though because it's herbacious and will crawl along the ground if you don't insist that it grow up.

Those purples and blues are very hard to photograph.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's proteus with rose Portlandia. The photos a little washed out from the sun though.

Thumbnail by doss
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

The President is gorgeous! I have this bud forming - now about 1-1/4" long. I check it out each day. My camera is pretty good with purple so I can't wait to see it bloom.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You'll like it. The President doesn't fade. Stunning. Mine is on a South facing wall.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Here are a couple of mine. This is Princess Diana who was lost, and now is found...I have had her for years but misplaced her, and this is the first yar she has bloomed (that I have been aware of) I think she must have been being weedeated, poor thing!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I forgot the picture...sorry!

Thumbnail by melvatoo
Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

And this one I have a couple of them...I believe it is Etoile Rose

Thumbnail by melvatoo
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Melva!!..How pretty!!...Jeanne

she is pretty Melva.... I had Etoile Voilette, but she didn't make it thru the winter...:o(

Ok, my first bloom, Matka Sidelski.

Thumbnail by nikki_conway

Nice to see the pictures of Etoile Roxe - I just planted one next to my Lady Banks rose and she's growing like mad.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That is absolutely Etoile Rose. I love that clematis. She should be lovely with the Lady Banks unless the Lady Banks eats her just like Lady Banks eats everything! LOL Just kidding. How pretty to have the yellow roses with the pink bells.

Doss, it's the white Lady Banks. The yellow we have growing with a native clematis that was just planted.

Here's my first clemmie, planted last year - Betty Corning.

Thumbnail by KaperC
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

As I was writing I was thinking, "She probably has the white Ladybanks!" LOL Even better although the yellow would have been fine too. But with the white, wow!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

melvatoo, How could you? Weedeat Lady Banks? She is a beauty. Aren't they all?

I noticed today that Duchess of Edinburgh has a round firm green bud. Wow, they are getting closer and closer.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Oh no! you misunderstood me..I think the Clematis has been weed eated because I have never seen her bloom before, and she has been out there for about 8 years..I would never weed eat, Lady Banks...now she was chain sawed with my blessing this year...she had fallen off her fence and was smothering 2 or 3 roses...she was not willing to hop back onto the fence...so she got a hair cut from a chain saw, and you should see her today, she has so many new shoots, she is scary!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.