My favorite harbinger of spring is...

There are a total of 484 votes:

when a special plant blooms (which one?)
(147 votes, 30%)
Red dot

when a particular bird returns (your favorite is?)
(87 votes, 17%)
Red dot

the frogs start singing
(58 votes, 11%)
Red dot

when I can leave the windows open all day and night
(116 votes, 23%)
Red dot

when I turn on the air conditioner
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

my calendar
(4 votes, 0%)
Red dot

something else (please tell!)
(66 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

When the mood hits me to start cleaning. That usually when we pack the winter coats.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

I live in the northeast and can't depend on the calendar to announce the arrival of spring. When I see the first robin I know that spring is on it's way and soon the other signs will be showing - melting snow, crocus, birds singing, swollen leaf buds on the trees, and the sun is higher in the sky.

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I love to hear the spring peepers and they've been singing for a week. Folklore says three more freezes after hearing them for the first time. Next freeze is this week, for me.

Leaving windows open is my second choice.

Our robins come when it's still cold :(

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Kildeer birds seem to show up when the weather is fairly spring like. Never gets very cold once they show up. They have been here about a week now.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

When the willow trees start to colour up and most other trees have noticeably fattening buds on them, then I know that spring is imminent.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

When the pecan trees bud!!!

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I picked other - blooming plants and the arrival of birds are two of my favorites, but I also love to see the colors of spring - deep green grass, the chartreuse green of new growth, varying shades of red and green as the leaves start to bud on the oaks and maples, etc. Another harbinger of spring for me is when my pond melts and I can start of the waterfall again (yesterday :O). Lastly, when the sun is shining and the temps hit 50, I love to ride top-down in my convertible. Ahhhh...spring at last!!!

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Tree peonies!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Actually when the crocus pop out of the ground I know that things are starting over fresh. I also love it when I see the first hummingbird at my feeder. Crocus and hummingbirds what a wonderful site.

(Zone 1)

I just love it when any of the trees start budding out ... no particular favorite, love them all!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

When the swans return to our pond. Although several pair tried it out in early March--waddled across the ice and then decided it was not for them--one couple decided to stay last week as.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

When the woodpeckers return to try again on the vinyl siding!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

For me it is that one special spring rain... when it is done raining and the sun comes out, the sky is a clear brilliant blue and the woods seem to have turned GREEN over night! It warms my soul!

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

When it warms up and I don't have to keep a fire going in the woodstove.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

The lovely sensation of fresh air coming in through open windows is probably my favorite "feeling," but what gladdened my heart ten days ago was the sight of hundreds of blue crocuses popping up in front of an old stone wall, along Route 6a in Yarmouthport.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

at my old house, it was when the pair of cardinals returned.

here (4 blocks away from my old house) the birds pretty much stayed all winter... though they are definitely more "active".

there are times over the winter i can leave my windows open all day and night.. not all the way, but cracked for fresh air... buddy's window i leave an inch or 2 open until it's low 20s (and the winds are not out of the east))

can't go by the calender -- we can have 60's in Feb and 40's in May... too unreliable.

and what podster said about the rain then greening up.... we had that already (It's fabulous) but now expecting more cold weather on the way.... it's a great indicator of Spring -- though as we all know, up in the mid-west -- winter can always pop back at any moment.

but a good indicator of spring is the animals... once they start mating.... Spring is on the way.
I've got the rabbit holes (attempted nests) in my yard to prove that.

The frogs haven't started yet.... so many they are a better indicator for me.

but there is always that "smell of spring-time" in the air. That's a good one.

I chose "something else".

Terese

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

The magnolias blooming announces spring so perfectly.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

When the snowdrops bloom, I know that spring is on its way! Tamara

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I too, look forward to the return of the robin. When they show up spring is not far behind!

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

When the trees start turning from brownish to pale green, the other trees that bloom, when I can get into my shorts and not freeze, when there's that certain unidentifiable feel in the air that is "different" and the infernal clocks have to be turned forward 1 hour.

Ann

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

When the magnolias and lilacs bloom, that is spring. Heaven must smell like lilacs.

....and lilies of the valley.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

When all of the snow and ice have finally melted off of my lawn and driveway.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

When I see my first Robin, I know it's finally Spring!

Thumbnail by DonM47
Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Most of the Blooms can be fooled into Spring around here,We had Figs Sprouting out in December,For us the sure fire way to know Spring has arrived is the Pecan trees will sprout thier leaves,Then and only the can we say Winter is done...I have kept track for years and they have never failed us.

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

When I see the first Robin and when the Forsythia is
in bloom.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Robins!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

When the wisteria blooms with the cross vine entertwined and then the Lady Banksia is in bloom all at once.....just how great God is. Can almost always depend on a little storm or two until Easter.....and that moves around according to the cycle of the moon. The observance of the death and rising again of the Christ awakens my soul anew everytime. The analogy of nature works in concert with our rebirth. I am so grateful for my health in that I am able to participate in my garden with the arrival of "Spring".

God is good EVERYDAY.

LouC

Thumbnail by LouC
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

azealas and dogwoods

Thumbnail by gardenglory
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I chose "Something Else" because for me it's the combination of all of the spring bulbs jumping out of the ground, the yellow jessamine, azaleas, dogwoods, magnolias, redbuds, and anemones blooming, the crabapples and wisteria starting to set buds, and the plethera of creatures chasing each other around the garden. It's not one favorite plant or bird but the combination of all of these things happening at once that, for me, signals the arrival of spring.

I just love this time of year. It is so full of hope and promise, and I love to watch the ongoing mystery as each new plant unfolds.

Sonoma County, CA(Zone 8b)

Daffodils announce spring to me. So delightful!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Almost chose birds (hummingbird) but I love frogs, etc., so much and was so excited to see one this year! My sweet granddaughter will kiss many frogs in her life, I'm sure, but at least the ones she kisses now won't break her heart.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

When the Roses, Crape Myrtles, Lantana and other trees/plants start sending out their leaves and new growth (roses)...... We actually do have deciduous trees and plants down here.

Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

I chose "Something Else," because for me, several things mean Spring...

When the snow and ice melts, and water runs all over the place. When the ground thaws. The smell of mud. The first robin. The return of the geese. When the buds on the trees start to open up and give the landscape a light, at first barely-noticeable, tinge of green.

And I love it when the ice starts to melt off the lakes so you can cast your bait onto the ice, reel it in just until it drops into the water, and nail those fish!

New Caney, TX(Zone 8b)

When the trees bud out and when the things I thought were dead come back from the bottom..
I'm always awed by all the renewal..

Around here the trees green-up around April 20th - 21st. I rejoice that day!

Seaford, NY(Zone 7a)

when the Forsythia flower

Powell River, Canada

I watch for the birds and for the flowers. The sight of ornamental cherries in bloom and the sound of the first flight of geese honking their way north bring tears to my eyes. But the most important thing is the lengthening days, the sun actually setting later than 4 in the afternoon. So, for me the harbinger of spring has to be the beginning of Daylight Savings Time!

Aquebogue, NY(Zone 6a)

When the air is fresh and full of good scents....ACHOOO!
LOL
When I can dig up a new scheme in the yard, if there's time or just to plant some new color. Even if it's raining out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.