Some LA Iris

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Ensata Iris = Japanese Iris. :-)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes. Ensata is it. And they are mostly Japanese Iris, but they have now bred a zone 5 LA Iris. I found out about it when one of our regulars (JoanF?) pointed out their fabulous sale a couple of weeks ago. I looked around at the rest of their stock and they have introduced a new LA Iris for Michigan. It has Michigan in its name. I think it is new this year.
Check out the Ensata web site.
Then I read, on this forum, recently, that some person was growing LA iris in zone 4. The recommended anything bred by Chowning which includes the very popular Black Gamecock.
Search back through the last 3 months or so of Iris Forum threads and find them.
I paid attention because I was thinking of trying them in New Mexico ( high altitude). Recently though our zone has been reduced from zone 5 to zone 6. That gives me even more options. Perhaps you, too.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

:-) Yes, Doss, Ensata = Japanese iris. I have about 80 now so I know them well.

I said "Ensata" because parjaritomt was looking for the name of a catalog starting with the letter E.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL I wondered if you had lost your marbles, pirl. I knew that you knew that, so I don't know why I actually answered what I took as a question.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

'Emory Smith' O'Connor 1992.
A really nice lavender late bloomer here.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That is such a lovely lavender color!
This is Prix D'elegance. Yum.

Thumbnail by doss

Doss - I have that one, too. Now I have something to really look forward to seeing.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You'll love it! It's a huge flower too. Bigger the second year.

So glad I gave it a place of honor.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hope that it's at the back of the bed. It's almost as tall as I am.

Eek! It's at the front. Thanks for mentioning it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.