Some LA Iris

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

'Sinfonietta' Raabe '86; without all the rain drops.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

A nice, old, pass-along Louisiana Iris.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

i luv that red one

The pass-along or Laffite? The pass along I could probably manage to pass-along one your way....

This one is 'Hordern's Henry' Pryor 1994. Another one I personally am not impressed with at all; and it will be exiting the garden this year. The bloom size is just so small compared to everything else. Full size is about 3 inches.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is Jive Talking. Flowers are about 4-5 inches across.

Thumbnail by doss
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm waiting to see what my LAs do in there 3rd summer here in Iowa. Not too impressed so far--only 2 blooms on 10 clumps. Maybe not wet enough , maybe too cold. I just have them planted in a low place. The foliage looks healthy enough, we'll see what happens.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Do you feed them Wanda? I feed mine plant food for acid loving plants.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

So many iris, so little space in my flower bed! The good news for me is that I created a new bed today. So, if anyone wants to part with any La's....?

Debbie: All great. My fave of yours today are Dixie Deb and your "passalong".
Doss: That is an amazing one! I do love the yellows.
Deb

Deb I can easily pass those two along your way in Oct--both are prolific off-setters, both have 3 healthy ones now. More tomorrow--I think the Saturday morning deluge slowed some down a bit, it was real cloudy all day yesterday.
=)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ooooh! Can you see me grinning? :-D
Deb

No problem Deb--I always have lots of extra Iris. Anyone with the name Deb should own a Dixie Deb. ;)

More rain today, more slow openings--today is the day of the yellows--I swear these yellow's are about to come to an end. They are not my favorites; but they are blooming so we shall give them their day.

This is the best of the lot today. 'Frenchmen Street' O'Connor 2002. This one will mellow out to a buff sorta color.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

This one is 'Rigolets' O'Connor 2002--The thing about this one is it is a bright, intense yellow with are very deep orange thumbprint signal. Shorter plant for me too--less than 36", definitely. Nice green styles too.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2007 5:37 PM

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Back to Lafitte Celebration--it holds that intense orange color into the third day.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

A better close up--the top one opened today.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Frenchman Street looks almost like a gladiola. Very beautiful.

This one is 'Spice World' by Dunn 1999. I like it a bit better than 'Hordern's Henry' but it also has rather small blooms.

I see an ice blue, a mid blue, a dark red, and another dusky orange a bit darker than Lafitte Celebration that want to open tomorrow--provided it doesn't pour all night and into tomorrow. The rain is great for the plants, not so great for good pictures.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2007 5:54 PM

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Thanks's Doss--there's another one darker, but in the same line of color called 'Metarie Ridge'--this pic will really show what 1.5" of rain in the afternoon will do to an Iris. It's also O'Connor 2002. What I personally like about the color on this one as opposed to 'Lafitte Celebration' is the really nice dusy pink of the standards, the nice orange line out from the bright yellow signal. I think one of the lower blooms will look better tomorrow; if the remainder of this rain falls tonight before it opens as opposed to shredding it tomorrow after it opens. Style arms are also a nice intense color.

Like I say, bad pic but very interesting color combination--we shall hope for a better one on this one tomorrow.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2007 6:07 PM

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Now just how many LA's do you have? It's quite a wonderful collection.

Far too many Doss, far too many...or is it possible to have too many? It is possible to have too many yellow's blooming at one time--I just noticed 'Hall's of Ivy' is going to bloom tomorrow. I've got about 20 more to bloom--and about 5 that look like they will not bloom this year.

Here's another shot of 'Beausoleil'--I really like the pink ones a lot.

We shall hope for something other than yellow's tomorrow--lol

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Slow day for LA Iris here but a big day for a lot of Iridaceae bulbs around here. Today we have strong winds, 85F temps (hot for even us this early), and more impending downpours for tonight. Cooling off for tomorrow. Looks like several reds and purple's opening up tomorrow.

Best of the bunch today is 'Southdowns' O'Connor 1992. This is really an 'Ice" blue nice orange spear signal.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

A nice mid blue here. "River Road' O'Connor 1992. Nice short plant--it's not fully opened yet.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

"Sigh". Ahh, to have too many!! :)
Deb

'Hall's of Ivy' Dunn 1999--I swear this is the smallest Louisiana Iris bloom I have ever seen. I've got enough better yellow's--I think this one can exit the garden this season too--vigorous grower though.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Here's another shot of 'Metarie Ridge'--not quite as beat up as the other.

That's all for today.
Debbie

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Debbie - Thanks so much for sharing these. I hope that these photos are gracing the plantfiles?

You are quite welcomed doss--yes, the good ones are going to the PlantFiles.

Hopefully some better ones to look at over the weekend.

I also do a lot of other species of bulbs. Unusual Irids, Zephyranthes, Habranthes, and Cooperia's too. The wet winter and spring is keeping me on my toes with photo's of all of these. I also do a fair number of Cape Bulbs, South American Species, and Mexican species. Very busy with all of it right now.
Debbie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You sure do some different bulbs Debbie. We'll look forward to the photos of them when they come.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I do love Frenchmen Street
Gloria

Finally a decent 'Metarie Ridge'--very cool and very windy today.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Some oldies today--'My Friend Dick' Butler 1998

Thumbnail by dmj1218

A nice old-fashioned mid blue LA Iris--'Eolian' Arny--1967

Thumbnail by dmj1218

A group pair for contrast. 'Eolian' and 'Bellevue's Michelle'--Bertinot 1981

Thumbnail by dmj1218

A nice shot of the 'Rigolets' plant.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Another 'Spice World'.

We shall see what tomorrow brings--looks like 4 different ones will bloom. I love this time of year....

Thumbnail by dmj1218

For good Friday we start with 'Offshore Flow' Dunn 1997

This is a nice mid-blue; but I probably will not keep this one after this year either. It is a vigorous grower and blooms are of good size. I just have a lot of mid-blue's and this one I think I will trim from my collection.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

This is 'Barataria' O'Connor 2004.
I like this one because of the deep pink color--I like the pink's a lot.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

This is 'Tickfaw' a nice short red for the front of the border, where this one should be, rather than deep in the back. This is an older O'Connor 1992--I like this one a lot because of it's versatility, being so short.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

A little bit better shot of 'Bellevue's Michelle'--Bertinot 1981

I like this pink too--it's just been hard to get a decent shot of it without trampling other plants--it's in the middle of the bed.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

A trio of friend's to end for now. 'Bellevue's Michelle', 'Eolian', and 'Tickfaw' in the rear.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.