Some LA Iris

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The season has started down here--right before an expected spring deluge of rain. Don't know how that will effect a couple of these just fixing to bloom, but we shall see.

This first one is a Pryor 1996--Jacaranda Lad. In a number of ways this one makes a mockery of the registration in my garden. For one thing, it's supposed to be a mid-season. It has the honor of being first. It's listed as "a soft jacaranda blue"--I feel its a mid blue, again only my opinion. It is very tall and very vigorous.

This is not fully opened yet, but I was afraid I would not get any picture at all if I waited a few more hours. We are expecting heavy rain this afternoon and evening. There are several things about this particular LA that I'm not at all crazy about, I'll discuss that in the next post.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

I do not like the form of the stalk on this iris--the blooms are too bunched up. I'll reserve final judgement on that for a while though, another of the same variety right next to it appears to have a more zig-zag stalk which I believe is a better quality in an LA. This one is also not fully developed, so I will reserve final judgement until after I see how this one develops and the plant next to it does. As I say, I was afraid I would not get a picture at all if I didn't take it now.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

This is an O'Connor 2005 called 'Early On' that's definitely not going to open until tomorrow. Its an orchid and cream color. I definitely wasn't paying as close attention as I should have when I planted it, its going to be difficult to photograph without stepping on another Iris. What it does show is a much better zig-zag to the stalk--which I think is much more desirable in an LA.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

And this on of 'Early On' from a different angle for a comparison.

I have a lot of others that are budding up and will be blooming over the next two weeks or so--I'll just add them to this thread as they bloom. Some of them are kinda "different" varieties, so you might see them for the first time in an actual garden setting.

I love my LA Iris dearly; them and my rain lily collection are a real joy for me.
Debbie

This message was edited Mar 26, 2007 12:32 PM

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Debbie! And I am really enjoying your cultivar comments too. I saw and fell in lovve with my first Louisianna iris 2 years ago. I transplanted them last summer and am looking forward to the blooms. Lots of mine tended to bloom low on the stalk after the original top also.

What do you have yours planted in? (Debbie and anyone else :-) I actually lost GARNET STORM DANCER to rot over the winter. I think I had planted it too deep.

Thanks lilyfantn!
Mine are in the ground--I heavily mulch too so they end up being deeper than what I've seen most people here suggest. But I'm way down south too--and that makes a difference. I've never lost one to rot from too much water in winter, but I have definitely had some not re-emerge after late summer dormancy. Who knows the cause then; could be to much heat and sun, could be rot during dormancy. I cut all mine down in October so there's always a wait to see who starts growing again. That's a shame about the Garnet Storm Dancer--I just looked it up in the PlantFiles because I wasn't familiar with it. It sure is a pretty variety.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I will try it again. I garden in red clay here in Tn. For the japanese and the Louisiannas I dug out the clay and mixed some of it with Peat and compost and some shredded bark and comosted cow manure. The clay is like a pool lining for them lol. Its pretty work intensive and they have already outgrown their area so I will be digging more this fall.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Debbie: Glad to see yours are starting to bloom! Looking forward to seeing them all. Whichever blue that is, it's lovely.

I got a couple of varieties of La's that are new to me this year to blend among my BG and Eastertide, and am anxiously for buds.

Deb

Thanks Deb--I really would like to see yours too. I have Eastertide too, but ashamedly must admit its poking along for me compared to the others. It's deep in the back of the bed, maybe not enough room for it, didn't get hit by the foliar feed, or too near the small cypress tree. Who knows. So I may have to vicariously enjoy yours this year! And I don't have Black Gamecock so enjoyed looking at yours there too. Be sure and post pics of your others--I know I will love them! =)
Debbie

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

If I'm fortunate enough to have blooms, I sure will post pics. One is "Now and Forever" and ...mmm...can't recall the other just now. (Monday's always use up all my brain energy by 5pm!)
:)
Deb

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Mine are just setting buds now. I have Garnet Storm Dancer and I love it. Mine were put in winter before last so they've been through one spring. I dug out my clay too lilyfantn and filled it with camellia planting mix (nice and acid). I've not had to take my foliage down as it's stayed beautiful all year with taking off a leaf here or there. I do have some that I did that with that haven't fared as well. I don't know why but I think that it's root competition from nearby redwood trees.

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

Debbie, For a newbie to irises what would you say are the major differences in gardening with LA irises here in texas? Do LA irises do better here? I like the form of the leaves and the contrast the bearded iris provide and planted several last year in my new garden which seem do be growing well(though no buds yet), but I don't think I've seen LA iris offered in my local nurseries. Have I just been missing them? nancy

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm not Debbie but you can grow both kinds of iris where you live. LA iris are offered on websites though like Aitkin's
http://www.flowerfantasy.net/index.html
or Iris City Gardens
http://www.iriscitygardens.com/toc.html

LA iris can grow in common garden soil but can't be allowed to dry out. Of course bearded iris need good drainage. One thing is I like the foliage on the LA's because it stays green year round here. It just depends on what you want in that spot. Bearded iris can't be beat though.

Nancy,
I am Debbie and I don't grow bearded Iris. What some folks don't realize is that Houston, Texas is nearly identical in climate to New Orleans (a little colder in winter) and 100% different than Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas Texas. Good drainage can sometimes be hard--to absolutely impossible--to accomplish; and we always have high humidity. That's why most of the species are from this area. They are best adapted, in my opinion, to our climate. I just don't grow bearded because I don't want to. But this is simply how I feel about it.

As far as Atkins and Iris City Gardens--unless the hybridizer is Pryor from Australia--why not buy them from the actual American hybridizers themselves? And why not buy them from growers who have been growing them in almost identical climatic conditions to those in which you will be growing them? There are 2 very good growers/sellers/hybridizers located in Louisiana that cover just about every American hybridizer and at least all of the profits actaully go to the hybridizer's themselves. I can understand why more northern growers would buy from them--but I'm baffled as to why deep south growers would. But that is simply my opinion, again. I've seen the quality of Aitkin's and Iris City--it is not superior to the two sources I will list below. As far as seeing them in nurseries, I never see bearded iris either. Usually any good water gardens nursery down here also has LA's. Nelson's Water Gardens out in Brookshire comes immediately to mind. Brookshire is out on the other (west) side of Katy.

I'm at work right now--I know 'Early On' is blooming today--when I get home I'll post you a picture.

Two more excellent places for Southern growers to buy LA's from sources that sell only LA's:

For Patrick O'Connor's stuff:
http://www.zydecoirises.com/

Another good one is:
http://www.bois-darc.com/

This last one is Rusty McSparrin's, Faith's, and Musacchia's hybrids. McSparrin owns the place but they are actually kinda of a co-op for their introductions.

Both of these companies are very good and are very nice people. I have one other source, but its not a retail location.

Look forward to seeing you again this year at the spring RU Nancy!
=) Debbie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Those are lovely websites. Iris City Gardens and introduces Pryor and Betts iris.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2007 6:33 PM

I did notice they weren't from Louisiana prior to the edit.

I'm gonna show Jacaranda again today--I like the color and form much better today. We have late afternoon sun and that helps a lot. None of these are very "prettied" up--but they do show the plants as they are actually growing. The other plant is also blooming today.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2007 7:10 PM

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Other side view.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Here's 'Early on' O'Connor.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Side view 'Early On'.

Doesn't look like anything is going to open tomorrow--but I could be very wrong about that!

Thumbnail by dmj1218

A too bright straight on--or at least as good as I could get without trampling 'Irish Bayou'. My photography leaves a lot to be desired!

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Debbie: All just beautiful, IMHO. :)
Deb

Thanks Deb!

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the links Debbie! And the pictures!

Nothing real special about this one, except it bloomed next. It also bloomed lower down before higher up on the stalk--that is unusual. I've never seen this one do that. The one on top should open tomorrow, as well as two other different varieties of LA's. Looks like several will open this weekend--that's always nice when you work all week.

This is Our Parris by Carroll '87. One nice quality about this one is it is very tall and always very early. Quite a vigorous grower too.

If you are into bloom size on LA's (not everyone feels that's all that important); both 'Early On' and 'Our Parris' bloom sizes are twice that of 'Jacaranda Lad'.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Debbie: I love that color on 'Our Parris'. I just added it to my wish list! :)
Deb

Deb--Hopefully tomorrow I can give you a better pic on that same one. I've got about 5 or 6 in that color range--stay tuned. I know you have been patient about waiting on these, but they just refuse to be rushed; but they are cooperating now. And I've got some good mid and late season ones too. =)

Another Our Parris---Carroll '87. It's tall, hard to get a good top bloom shot.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

This is 'Sunshine Bridge'; also O'Connor. Love the bright yellow signal area juxtaposition with the rosy-pink falls. A nice early LA Iris.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

'Early On' still has excellent form on blooms very low on the stalk. Five more and a couple of pass-alongs to open tomorrow.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

My "new" ones haven't started to bloom yet, but here's "Black Gamecock" from the side(bunch of them gonna open in the next couple of days.)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

It always amazes me that something like this just "appears" out of these plants. I think the buds are fascinating, and nearly as beautiful as the bloom itself. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Nice Deb! I really like that Black Gamecock with that brick background. Really makes an interesting color combination!

It has poured and drizzled most of the day, so a lot I thought would open are going to wait until tomorrow. Here's another one in the color range you like. 'Prytania' O'Connor '2001

Thumbnail by dmj1218

This is 'Sinfonietta' Raabe '86. I think this is the last year I will keep this one, I have other blues I like a lot better.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Another wet Iris here--'Acadian Miss' Arny '80. So I guess most of what I thought would open today will actually open tomorrow.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Well, let's try for Acadian Miss again...

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Debbie:
All beautiful. Just added "Acadian Miss" to my wish list. I gotta put a bit of white in with all my purples and yellows. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it.) :)
Deb

Just so happens I have a better 'Acadian Miss' today Deb--helps a whole lot if its not raining!

Thumbnail by dmj1218

This is 'Beausoleil' O'Connor 1999--One of my favorites, just not the best picture.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

This is 'Lafitte Celebration' O'Connor 1999--the color is the main attraction here, not too many with this intensity of color.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

'Dixie Deb' with 'Our Parris'--shows the great diversity of form over the years.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.