3rd Annual So Cal RU May 19, 07 - Part 2

San Diego, CA

Is it May 19th yet?

LOL Don - Kent State is my alma mater! Way before THE incident tho.
Helen - be glad to bring you our Saturday & Sunday papers. Lots of new home ads. I'll look around for the magazines - not something I usually watch for. Good time to buy - prices are way down. But maybe the same over there re selling too. I HARDLY EVER drive on Bell Road. Nothing there I can't find somewhere else. Once when I was up there I saw a Sun City lady driving west in the eastbound lanes, waving gaily to everyone frantically getting out of her way. Didn't see the fireworks. We are in west Glendale about a mile from the new stadium. Your race was in Avondale some miles away. They are building lots of hotels around the new stadium so maybe next time you can stay closer to the races and avoid Bell Road. It is handier to I10 too. Harold

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Dr. Don I so want to be able to join in on this round up. You all sound like so much fun!
If I were able to somehow make it, where would one fly into and how far from the airport would it be?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

You could fly in to Ontario and I'd pick you up and we'd drive to Don's together! How's that sound. I live only a mile from the airport. Say yes?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Trying to talk my Dh into it now.

Crossville, TN

Marie....I sure hope you can come...if my DGD (ezlivin) and I can help let us know....I will fly into San Diego on May 16th....you are welcome to stay with us and drive up on Saturday...I fly out on Sunday.

Sound like Louise has a great invitation too. You would love this RU!!

Dovey...you will need to plan to get with the nice group in Ohio when they have their RU!! Jo

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Well, Dovey, the nice thing about DG is you'll still be here, wherever you are!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Well talk harder Marie! I don't mind at all. Look at all the nice folks you'll be missing!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Dovey...Obviously you didn't read the fine print when you signed on as a member of DG...the part where it says you are not allowed to relocate unless you submit a request form and get full approval of local members. You are CLEARLY in violation of this by-law. (BTW...it get's reeeeeallly cold in Ohio...)

Zuzu...ditto for YOU as well !!! (The alligator/croc. population is out of control in Florida...)

I stongly urge BOTH of you to re-think these hastily made decisions and come to your senses...lest you be plagued by the worst mother nature has to offer.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Mike, be nice!! Mother nature hasn't been too kind to your garden this past week either!

Donna

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, no, and me with my new lakeside (read gator-infested) property. As for mother nature, though, I am currently plagued by voracious gophers, rampant Arum Italicum, and pretentious New Age Sebastopolians who attribute everything to karma. There are no comparable irritants in Florida.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Good one Zuzu...good one !

Crossville, TN

Zuzu....Have you ever had to deal with.....LOVE BUGS?? *shudder*....see....I lived in Florida!! Jo

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Marie you better tell that man of yours, you need a break. Harold thanks so much. If you forget or can`t, no worries. Our market is falling too, nothing is really selling and the greedy folk here are not willing to drop the comps down yet so inventory stockpiles and new homes can not sell fast. I knew it would happen too.

Dr. Don no wonder you work for the UN, man you are good. I think you dated yourself though. lol Note I don`t live there anymore either and know that I couldn`t but it is a pretty state.

I talk to the Ohio dgers sometimes and they are so nice. You should talk to a lady named tobasco,(Judy) she is from Pasadena, if you don`t already know her. she lives in Cincinnati. I told her about the RU in case she is going to be here then. She comes often like Arlene. We can run but we can`t hide. lol Dawn

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

No it is not a rumor; Dovey and I are going to be "temporarily” relocated to Columbus Ohio for a 3 year tour. When I signed on to this canoe club 22 years ago I did it to see the world and travel so far I’ve been to over 42 different countries. Apparently Uncle Sam thinks I need to see Ohio as well. It is not my first choice but the pyramid gets smaller as you reach the top and our choices are narrowed. Being a native of Michigan and a Michigan Wolverine fan it is going to be difficult for me to live behind enemy lines.. : ) but we are both looking at this as an adventure and are going to make the best of things and enjoy it. Dovey being optimistic was quick to find out that Columbus Ohio has one of the Countries largest rose gardens (12 acres or so we are told). I am looking forward to the round up and seeing everyone again. Dovey will be back on DG in about a week she is going to visit her Mom in Washington State. She is busy packing for a flight tomorrow.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

thanks, it will be fun behind enemy lines representing.

You will be so close to Ohio's Amish country to enjoy driving those scenic back country roads and wonderful food. Great envy here. Eat some Guggisberg Baby Swiss for me. Harold

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I forgot all about the Amish country being close by. Dovey loves swiss...

Route 62 thru Millersburg, just before Berlin (Burr-lyn) take 557 to the Guiggisberg factory on your right. $11.95 + shipping for 2 -lb wheel thru the mail. about $5 - $6 at the store. And often on sale. LOL Our rental car is like a horse. It always seems to know just where to go. Harold

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Ohio is home to the famous longenberger baskets too. Close to Niagara Falls. Muy Romantico.

San Diego, CA

Just thought I'd share a very rare passiflora that opened for me the other day.
this is Passiflora Gritensis.
Mark

Thumbnail by zostropz
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Beautiful!

Now THAT makes me want to grow passifloras. Absolutely gorgeous, Mark.

Kathleen

Oh golly. Very nice. We quit growing Passies because of the caterpillars. We will be going to Kartutz when next over there, but I see he shows almost all out of stock and does not list this one. Where did you find it? Harold

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Love the passies!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Whoa! Looking up your passiflora gritensis took me to Ellie's Garden....I do NOT need to know about this place! The blue amaryllis!!!

That looking up stuff really gets you in trouble!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Okay,Mark....just how heavily involved are you in this passiflora addiction? Are we talking major obsession here? I haven't been to Kartuz in probably 10-12 years and I'm glad to hear he's currently sold out of passies...I'm afraid I'd be lured over there tomorrow.
edited to add.....is it just me or is there something in the 'gardening gene' that makes us all so susceptible to 'collecting'?

This message was edited Apr 24, 2007 9:57 PM

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Woohoo!! I just confirmed my reservations, I'm coming!!!

Can't wait to see everyone again, and this time I'm bringing about three hours worth of grangirl pics for you ALL to enjoy, lol. ;-)

Woohoo!!!!!!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

bring Dave and his wife while your at it. yeah

Hi Mary, ~~~~~~~waving to you. :-)

I'm so glad you can make it again and hope you enjoy it as much as last year.
Can't wait to see you again.

Donna

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Donna, huge hugs! Can't wait to see you again, there's no way this will be any less of a blast than last year!

Hellnzn11, I'll try to stuff Dave and family in my luggage, just not sure if they'll fit in the carry-on, lol.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Woo hoo, RU!

Hey Louise, how's the wedding plans coming? I know you've been as busy as I've been and I am really looking forward to relaxing after next Sat. garden tour.

Mary, big hugs back to you to my friend. (((())))

Donna

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Garden update.......

Roses are popping all over the place and we're disbudding like insane butchers....lol.

Maggiemoo!!!!! giant hugs and we're both so glad you're coming again!

I'll be leaving on a roadtrip to the Seattle area in about 10 days and will be coming south with a very special and talented roundup guest......balvenie. And on the way down another fabulous DG goddess will join our caravan in order to escape karma-esque transplanted yay-whos lol.

A fun time is in store for all, and it appears a very special treat is in store for all of us at this RU. Mariachi Music!!!!

The gardens are getting ready, the weather is warming up, most of the arrangements have been made and I need a cocktail......

best to all,
don

Crossville, TN

Make that 2 Cocktails, Don Dear!! Can't wait to see all of you again!! Jo

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Have one for me Don.

Crossville, TN

I posted this in part 1....now it is posted here too.

Jo

This is off-topic but I wanted to post here so it wouldn't be a surpise when I bagan to take up a collection at the RU.....

I guess most of you are aware that our dear friend, and fellow gardener, djm906/Doris Morey passed away last week.

She was a sweet lady and loved DG very much....she was in different hospitals for over a year.

Some of us thought it would be a nice gesture to buy something for her church in her memory....so I have asked someone from each RU scheduled bewteen now and the ones on June 9th to take up a collection to help with this cost.

Doris' daughter is momcat/Debbie on DG also.

If you would like to help in this endeavor, I will accept your help on May 19th.

Thank you so much.

Jo

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

because of my surgury I missed that and it is in my thread watcher. Oh thanks for letting me know i have been praying for her. I `ll try to pitch in for that. Dawn

Well, I'm pleased to be able to say that I'll be attending this roundup! This will be my first time going out west to meet with DG members and I'm really looking forward to it!

Thank you Don for hosting this roundup and inviting me.

dave

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.