Ok , Who has Lilies spring out of the ground

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

That's another thing I like about growing species: there are almost always variations.

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

Have asiatic lillies coming up by the dozens. Some are 1' high and some just breaking the ground. Have Easter lilies just before blooming in my greenhouse. They were leftovers from the church last Easter and I brought them home, repotted them, they had babies and now, well you know, the gift that keeps on giving. That is how I got all my amarylis too. Someone was throwing out a spent plant and I took it in. Now I have dozens. All are blooming. How I got my orchids, cacti, etc. Wish people would not throw plants out around me. I am compelled to take them in. LIZ

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I've got noses popping up all over the place with actual leaves on a few. Triumphator is in the lead. No species, orientals or martagons yet. I'm waiting for it to get above 50 before I go out to work today. Need to Plantskydd those babies before the darn bunnies hit them!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I have lots up, but these are the tallest so far and are forming buds.. This is "Fangio" asiatic..Bright pink in color.. I also have some "Kiss me Kate's" with blooms about to happen.

Larkie

Thumbnail by Larkie
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

L speciosum rubrum, I planted two I think, they were in a pot which I bought reduced. Put in the ground summer last year with one stem each, now look!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

L. rosthornii, planted last autumn, with three spikes!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I planted some three weeks ago in my rose bed and they are starting to peek their noses!

Fenton, MO(Zone 6b)

RO RO Maybe frost here

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Just went out and checked.... whew! nobody's up yet!

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm sure a few will get frosted during the next few days. Almost all of my lilies are showing noses or leaves, some are several inches tall already. I guess I'll just have to wait and see who survives, just too many to cover.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

here's a pic of mine, planted last year in part shade. Most everything that I planted is peeking out, even a few that I planted late and did nothing last year, but are about 6" tall right now. I'm still holding my breath, as I cannot believe my good fortune. If these bloom this year (2nd year) I will go so lily-crazy, nobody will be able to stand me!

Thumbnail by vossner
Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

It seems like everyone planted theirs last year before winter. I just put mine in the ground about 3-4 weeks ago. They are peeking out, but I'm starting to wonder, do you think they will grow and actually bloom if they didn't sit in the ground during the cold?

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Most lilies available for purchase in the spring havebeen held in cold storage by the vendor. So, yes, they will bloom this year.

Nery, I know you were worried about it being too warm in Texas for lilies. How exciting that they are all coming up. What are they?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Beak, I have to go thru my journal. I will do that later when blooms start to show. They will be much easier to identify. But you bet I will. This is too big a deal for me and I'm gonna brag about them, lol.

I can tell you Menorca, is about to bloom. That pastel peach beauty was a favorite of mine last year. Also have a reg. Easter lily ready to bloom, which I found tossed in a parking lot last year. The above pic is one of 5 areas where I have planted lilies. There is only one area where there's no lily action, but those were also planted last.

Where's Ollie? I want to see Ollie!!!

llilyfan--frozen lilies here too! I got a load of mulch and covered many of them against this COLD weather (32 degree high today!), but I don't know what will happen.

You poor things! We had cold, but not THAT cold! Now it's lovely and warm,sun and in the high 50'sF (14C or more), expecting a little warmer too!

My L majoense broke through 3 days ago.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Poplarville, MS(Zone 8b)

All of my Amaryllis are in full bloom for over a week now, and my Tiger lilies are about 3ft high. The asiatics are at least 2 ft. I have 4-5 daylillies w/ big scapes and buds on them and my little Stellas are about to bloom. I live in the coastal south and the heat and humidity here are un-bearable, But! Spring comes early and that means early and beautiful flowers, so I guess it all balances out. By the first of June when most of the country are just beginning to see the benefits of their spring labor, we are in the house under the air conditioner just trying not to die of heat stroke! We get another reprieve around the end of Oct. when it cools down a little and the garden comes back to life.

Now I have something to report, nothing coming out of the ground yet, and not for a while, but in a pot:

Lilium monadelpum seedlings. This is the second season with leaves. My martagon seedlings of the same age and in the same size pot, and overwintered in the same place and in the same manner, are not up yet. Who would've thunk it?

Another interesting tidbit: I had one martagon seedling send up a leaf last fall after going dormant over the hot summer. That leaf is still just as green and alive now is it was when I put it to bed for the winter! In many plants, juvenile foliage is evergreen, or semi-evergreen, while as the plant matures, foliage turns completely deciduous. Could this be the same phenomenon?

I have 5 L monadelphum seedlings with leaves now from an August sowing.

Look at these too! L martagon sown in November, two with leaves, a suspect 3rd or a weed there I didn't notice when I took the pic.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Weird..... I have some pink marts coming up now too. Maybe they are related to yours, wallaby....

Hmmmm, it's that PRODOFFPARD again!

Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

Ok my Arena just poked out. Smart of it to wait for the cold to pass...

I was out removing all the old lily stems and found this one coming up right through the middle of the old stem!

Thumbnail by pardalinum
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Neat, pard. Can't think I have ever seen the same exact path two years in a row.

Here is a side view. I don't see a label so wil try to figure which it is when it blooms.

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Yes, it is rather odd. That front one is about 4 in. up out of the stalk now, right up the middle.

Oh my what have we here???? Another newcomer in the what's up genre....

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Pard what kind of bark is that on your lily bed?

Thanks

It is shredded Western Red Cedar that comes in bags at Home Depot. I was concerned that it would mat but the lilies pushed right on through it. I did have to push it away from seedlings as they came up. I am pleased with it because here in Western Oregon the weeds grow ALL winter long and it did a good job of keeping most of them down.

Pard, the lily in the old stem at least has frost protection!

It was finally HOT today after all the promises, it should be no more than 11C but it was at least 21C. Lilies have sprung from nowhere! So have the red lily beetle, got 23 of those today now total of 63 this year and they have only just started.

Dizzy

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Dizzy #2

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Bellingham Hybrid, last year was it's first, now look! 2 fat noses and lots of babies.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Nice looking season starts, wallaby. My Bells have put on another leaf-- there are 3 on each now!

Romping away! Mine outside in the tub are coming along well, two leaves on some now. I can see these will breed like rabbits.

Given the normal growth of a bulb, I don't see how a sprout inside an old stalk could be possible - unless the sprout decided to enter the stalk above the bulb itself. Very curious, and certainly one for the annals of weirdness.

It's a lily rollup, I wonder if it tastes good?

Yum, a lily burrito. Both new stalks on this bulb came up through the old stalk. The one in the background managed to break through the side of the old stalk. I hope when it blooms I can figure out which one it is, I didn't see a label. I'll review my pictures from last year, maybe that will help.

I uncovered quite a few lily noses yesterday, sprayed them with bunny repellent & re-coverd them. Lots of warm days & cold nights coming this week & I'm not home to protect them. Wallaby--yours look nice!

Which is worse, bunnies or Red Lily beetles? We're having 'hot' sunny weather, they are coming in droves, so far 95 underfoot.

Thanks Wanda, those Dizzy are amazing, I don't remember them being that dark last year.

I'm still waiting on a few, L pyrenaicum, nanum Bhutan form, xanthellum luteum, poilanei but I don't remember seeing that pot, gotta check!

This is the other side view of Casablanca, I posted the fat looking side on the Casablanca thread. I like this view!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi -- I hope someone will help me. I'm relatively new to lilies; planted quite a few bulbs in the fall -- asiatics, orientals and martagons. Of the new bulbs, only a few of the martagons are showing anything substantial above ground yet. The only asiatics that are showing anything are the ones in the warmest spots in the garden, and they've not pushed up anything that looks to me like a nose or a flowering stalk, but here and there, some tender little leaf shoots have poked through in the vicinity of my lily plant markers. Could this be all that I'll be getting from these bulbs this year? Or could they be from bulblets? I don't know much at all about bulblets, or when they form. It would surprise me to know they could form so soon, but, then, the whole lily process amazes me, and I certainly hope that's all they are. Thanks very much to all you experts. I've been poring over your postings for months. Laura

Hi Laura, it's still fairly early for some lilies, and you are in a colder zone so that can make them even later. Newly planted bulbs may also take longer to establish.

I would be surprised too if you had bulbets from an autumn planting but I suppose it's not impossible. Some of my Asiatics grew the young stems from bulblets first, then pushed up the thick flowering stalks later. Give them some time and see what happens.

Glad to see you posting here! Keep us posted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.