Heidi Watch '07

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

The sun was going down, but it was still quite light out - reading light; so I let Widget out while I was getting all of the leftovers together on the counter. I looked out and saw that Widget was not doing his "work" but was standing in the middle of the yard staring at the fence. Figuring the raccoons might be nearby, I went outside both to "protect him" and to insist that he get to it.

He had just gotten to the fence and found that perfect spot when Trouble, seeing and hearing that I was outside, figured that was his cue to come to dinner. As Trouble started descending the fence about 2 ft from where Widget was doing his "business", the 2 found themselves face to face and quite startled. Trouble ran back over the fence and Widget struggled to get zipped back up.

I called Widget. I wanted to get him back inside before the raccoons returned, but it was to late. Hearing me calling Widget, Trouble again thought that was his cue, and this time he wasn't about to miss dinner. He came rushing over the fence just as I swooped Widget up and headed for the door. No time to deal with those leftovers, I grabbed a large container, shoveled it full of dog food and ran back out where Heidi and Trouble met me at my bench almost 1/2 across the yard - well forward from the established feeding area.

I tossed food to them and again they ate quickly. They ate "together" on the lawn, sometimes as close as 8" apart; however, things really seem to have changed lately. Heidi has become most cranky, not with me, but with Trouble. She lets him eat with her but ONLY by her rules. And I gather they've had a few discussions when I wasn't around because lately he's listening much better. Tonight, among other things, she refused to allow him to drink from the copper basin at ground level which had only hours earlier been filled with clean water by the sprinklers. Three times when he went to the fresh water she turned and warned him away even though she was some 4-5 ft away and despite the fact that she ultimately left the yard without ever touching the water herself. He did get a drink from water that had filled the unused food containers, however.

At one point, when Heidi was being most disagreeableTrouble went well around her and came to me. I tossed him some food about 2 ft over to one side of me and he ate it, but as I've mentioned when he's up close the slightest move will send him running. So it was that when he finished that handful and I reached to give him more, he ran away. Unlike Heidi, I cannot call Trouble back when he runs. I have noticed, however, that on the occasion that both he and Heidi run, he will look to her for the cue as to whether to return.

I've noticed another rather incredible thing. It happened the other night, and again tonight. As I've mentioned, when Heidi hears a questionable noise and raises her head to listen, if I say, "it's ok" she will immediately drop her head and continue eating. I've been very careful only to do that for sounds which I know will not result in anything like say a dog chasing her or any other negative consequence. I want to be sure that "it's ok" is always linked to a positive outcome.

Incredibly, the other day while she was eating, she heard some people talking out near the street. She raised her head, looked toward the sound, and then she turned to me as if to say, "Well?" So I said, "it's ok" and she resumed eating. I wanted to tell you, but I thought it sounded so hokey. Then tonight, it happened again. There was a sound. For some reason I failed to say anything. Trouble looked to Heidi, and Heidi cast a quick glance to me...Well? It might sound like I'm imagining it, but I'm not. She only recently started doing this, and she's done it at least twice now.

2 cute things I observed tonight. They ususally pick the dime sized nuggets up between their 2 paws. Tonight I saw Heidi pick one up with a single paw, fingers curved around it, and lift it to her mouth - quite dextrous in deed. From time to time, in an effort to collect as many of the nuggets for herself as possible, she would reach well forward with both paws in a wide arch and rake all the nuggests into a pile close to her. I found that maneuver amusingly reminiscent of a poker player reaching in to scoop up the pot from the center of the table after a win. If she just had visor and a cigar, the image would have been complete. Oh, and I noticed that her "back" is 2x the size of Troubles so I think that might be the new [near] arrivals.

Romeo (I think I might change his name to HRH) and Juliet were again no-shows. Lately, this is working out well. Heidi and Trouble are coming out early. I'm able to feed them as much as they want. If HRH and his girlfriend show up later, they only get the leftovers.

Oh, and since Trouble bolted over the fence ahead of schedule, I ended up out there again without the camera, but there is always tomorrow, and they are coming out earlier and earlier these days - good lighting for photos. Soon.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Don't you just hate when life seems to go to heck in a handcart, through no fault of your own?? We spent the day watching/listening to a chainsaw crew cut up 40 - 50' that broke off the top of one of our old pines during last weekend's horrific winds. That's the third pine that mother nature has chosen to top for us in the last year; but this pales in comparison to your week.

Cranky at this stage of pregnancy with Trouble is actually very very tolerant; great to hear that things are going so much better between him and Heidi. Your description of Romeo and Juliet is priceless, and who can blame your two for avoiding all that - especially the obeisance HRH expects of all comers?

Fascinating that Heidi now looks to you for reassurance when she hears unfamiliar sounds; shows the degree of trust you've managed to build with her. Just think of yourself as a translator of human urban life into raccoon...

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

i agree about the "trust" issue. she trusts your voice. You call to her, you tell her it's ok... so she has learned to trust your voice. Very cool.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

(((((((((((((Scutler))))))))))))))))) You poor thing.. What a week!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth -- so sorry to hear about your tree. mine was just a bad day/week that will pass and soon be forgotten. it will take much longer for your tree to replace the top growth. very sorry. translator, I like that. tonight she did it again. there were numerous sounds that attracted her attention but only one (of those for which i did not reassure her automatically) to which she looked to me for an interpretation. i think it was a more unique and unusual sound, one she maybe couldn't figure out on her own based on past experience.
btw, the dog food from pet sage arrived today. wow that was fast. I think i just ordered it mon or tues. widget only had about 2c of food left (or less) when i ordered it so i was wondering what i was going to do while waiting. he loves it. he took one piece of kibble and ran off with it. he only does that when he thinks he's really got something special. later as i gave him more, he danced on his hind legs for it. he doesn't do that for most treats.later when I was filling his bowl with it he turned his head sideways - you know, like very confused. he thought it was a very special treat like the dried liver. he only get one or 2 pieces of that, not a bowl full.
Terese -- i really think she has developed considerable trust for me, and that makes me very happy.
Marylyn -- thank you! :) today wasn't much better. had to drive 54 miles to another town to get the rental car in to the place where i work - late again. 2 hrs later the dealership called to say my car was ready...needless to say i didn't get much work done or many hours in...the good news, however, my car is going to live and the bill was only $500 and that included a few other minor unrelated things like changing oil, etc. looks like i stopped the car before the engine was damaged. whew!

tonight i am determined to get to bed asap. i still have one more chance to get to work on time one day this week.

tonight i got some pics of everybody! they aren't great. as i mentioned before my camera is on the fritz - and i'm not too great at night pics anyhow. but it's a start. if nothing else (1) i get to show you hrh, (2) everybody got a chance to get comfortable with the scarey camera sounds, ir red light, flashes, etc, and (3) i think the following pic pretty much puts to rest any questions about Heidi's impending maternity. (Quite the butterball, huh? And doesn't she even look a bit testy? Cranky? Sassy? I think she's even a bit puffy. It's getting harder to recognize her.Tonight when she was leaving, she walked like a duck. you know how there butts point to the left and then to the right and ...)

i'll have to save the rest of tonight's raccoon news and pics for tomorrow.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ok, here's another of heidi. her face is hidden by the weeds (i have so much work to do), but see how wide she is?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here is His Royal Highness. that's his girlfriend coming down the fence back right.notice how much different he looks? see the lighter (yellowish) coloring? also, his mask doesn't go all the way across his face. he reminds me of a panda bear.

I'm sorry, but I think our Heidi is too pretty for him. ;-)

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Great pictures, Cheryl, especially considering a damaged camera! We saw quite a bit of the lighter phase coloring like HRH's up in VA; though I agree with you that the darker phase coloring like Heidi's is much more attractive. HRH is one big hunk of muscle, no? Not surprising that everyone gives him lots of personal space... And Heidi: my my she is very broad of beam these days, and as adorable as ever. Can you blame her for crankiness? Can you imagine climbing fences, trees, etc. while largely pregnant? NO THANKS.

Sounds like the Fromm was a huge hit with Widget. Forgot to mention that when you switch to premium foods, the kids think they're really in hog heaven....

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Oh, Cheryle, so sorry to hear about your bad week. Our computer crashed 3 days ago, so am just catching up. We don't have it completely up yet, but at least I am getting the internet. OH BOY Heidi is having babies! Wonder what will happen to Trouble when the new kids get out and about? Have you seen Fraidy? HRH is a real stud. She needs to chase him out before the kids come. That should be interesting. Wonder if he is the father? Here, I am confused about how Little One is acting. I thought she was less afraid of me than the others, but now not too sure. The other night she was listening to me talk to her and eating her treats when all of a sudden she took off. Then I saw the reason, a big coon was coming to raid her bowl. :-(( I was hoping she was the only one to know about her special bowl, but I guess not. Last night she was in another tree but one closer to the front of the house, reason??? Maybe she is making tracks to get closer to the bird feeders. We will have to see. Then when I tried to talk to her, she slowly crawled down that tree, went to her usual tree and then off into the woods. Such is life. But several of the other raccoons that come to eat are much more at ease with me talking and shining the light on them. They just look up and keep eating. When it gets warmer, I would like to sit outside and see what happens. Back to you guys.....Karen

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Did you make it to work on time today? :-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Marylyn, LOLOLOL!!! YES! Finally :-D

I was an hour EARLY because I was determined to make it on time once before the week was up! And everybody at work was very nice and very understanding. I had a very nice, very calm day. Thanks!

Karen, sorry to hear about your bad week; I almost went into DT's during the 8 or so hours I was without internet access during the storm on Sunday. What did we do BEFORE the internet? How did we live back then?

This is just my take on the raccoon thing, but I don't actually talk to them. I'm inclined to think that they aren't really comfortable with "talking". I actually think - based on very limited experience admittedly - that any quantity of talking may actually increase their stress. I don't see any evidence that they talk to each other; if it calmed them I would think they would do it. (I hear them vocalize specific things but not "chatter") I also think that what I'm saying is consistent with the fact that they are solitary animals.

I speak to them, a simple string that has a specific meaning. I say "Heidi" to call them to eat, and I say "it's ok" only when they are visibly afraid or concerned and/or are retreating. I say "it's ok" so softly that it "under my breath" as we say, more of a mumble than a projected sentence. They have very acute hearing so I make no attempt to speak out when communicating with them, esp when saying, "it's ok". I try to let the softness of my voice reinforce the calming intent of the words.

Other than to communicate these 2 things, I am silent while they eat.

In time I may try to add a few more strings to our "language", but for now "Heidi" (come to dinner) and "it's ok" seem to cover the important things I need to convey.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

The newest bully in town is Ms Sassy - I mean Ms Heidi.

Last night a minute or two after Heidi left, I heard a very brief squabble in the edge of the forest. Even before he emerged atop the fence, I knew HRH had arrived. The thing I wasn't at all sure about was whether the sound was HRH "attacking" Heidi or vice versa. That's how surly she has become.

Last night I had her lined up nicely in my viewfinder but ended up with a photo of the tip of her tail because the instant before I snapped the pic she tore out after Trouble chasing him some 5 ft across the lawn and all the way back to the fence - and he RAN too. Nothing wimpy about our girl Heidi! She is suddenly a force to be reckoned with! Tonight she told HRH were to go...and he went, too!

Maybe we worried too soon. You know what they always say about how the worst creature to mess with is usually the female with babies. Even with bears it seems most of the serious attacks are to people who accidently stumbled upon a mother bear who thinks her cubs are being threatened.

For the past 2 days at least, status in my backyard habitat has shifted. HRH has been dethroned. Now everybody is walking on tip toes around Ms Puggy (and you know I kid her with love - and because she can't hear me).

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Since this thread is getting a bit long and in deference to those with slower connections, I'm starting a new thread at: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/714871/

I sincerely hope that you will all join me there as we await the arrival of Heidi's new brood.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I want 4 books (at least!!)
~Sheri~ ^_^

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Sheri!

I've added you to the tagged list. Thanks so very much for the much needed 'shot in the arm' to keep the writer going!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Cheryl ,
Hope you are feeling even better today and continuing to reap benefits from those injections. i have jut finished this "chapter". Oh how I love your writing. Your verbal pictures are so vivid. We are carried along with you and Heidi and the rest of the gang on their adventures.
i wanted to tell you that I did wildlife rehab for a few years and had a non-releasable possum for about 3 1/3 years (Very, very sweet and special animal!). They LOVE bananas, please give Snowball a couple bites of banana for me if she is still around. I say "she" because if you have ever observed the south end of this possum and it was a male you would DeFFinately have noticed!! Snowball likely also has babies in her pouch if she is a female (they are in the pouch for 55 days before venturing out onto the Mama's back to ride).
got to get back to my reading now! ^_^
~Sheri~

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Sheri,

Thank you so very much! I cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed sharing this experience with all of you - or how much I enjoy a compliment now and then. : )

I saw Snowball just a few weeks ago one night when the crowd was small for some reason. I think the presence of so many raccoons right now and not enough food to go around is the reason why I haven't been seeing the opossums around much lately. I imagine that the raccoons don't allow them around and the opossums know they aren't likely to find left overs these days. The day that Snowball showed up there was a watermelon left over and she seemed to be trying to get to it.

I buy bananas often and frequently end up with one or two that spoil before I can eat them. I cut them in half and toss them back near the fence. The raccoons don't seem to like them very much, so it is possible that Snowball may find some left after the buffet closes. I have noticed that unlike the raccoons Snowball also seems fond of chicken and various leftovers. Even though I know the raccoons don't care for these things I put them out knowing that whatever they leave, Snowball & Puddle will happily gobble up. Just lately each night I've been putting out 4-8 individual dinner entrees, prepackaged, shelf stable but expired meals for humans: chicken or fish fillets on brown and wild rice, pastas with hb and tomatoe sauce, etc. All are high protein meals. Tonight I also put out scrambled eggs (w/added soy protein) & mashed potatoes (also w/soy), breakfast and lunch meals from the same group. I put these out because there are so many hungry raccoons out there (and I need to get rid of these expired items anyhow), but the raccoons hate these things, so I imagine that Snowball ends up eating most of them.

I actually figured that Snowball was probably a female. From my work with the raccoons I've learned that there are many more females than males around so that the odds favor any particular individual being female. I've also found that whereas females in need of food to feed their babies are more inclined to come out around humans out of necessity, males seem much more reclusive probably because they are able to find enough food in the forest to feed themselves having no one else to worry about. I just tend to use the term 'he' when in doubt, probably due to the way our culture uses that male pronoun as the default.

Somewhere later in the threads I think you will come upon a discussion of and link to a thread (not mine) and photo of an opossum which appears to be giving birth while eating at a bird feeder.

Thanks again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.