Rooting Jar / Garden Whimsy Exchange Discussion Part 2

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome all.
This is a continuation of the discussion about our very fun rooting jar exchange and soon to come Garden Whimsy exchange. This is where we came from.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/693131/

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks Holly,It was getting long......I brought this along from the old thread

Ok then before I proceed I need to ask Holly........Holly do you care if I use the exact same format for the Garden Gadget/Garden Whimsy Swap that you used for the rooting jar exchange?I mean practically word for word LOL It worked so well. I am afraid to change anything.Please advise me : ))

Also how long do you think the swap should run?I was thinking to have it open from now until April 1st with everything needing to be sent out by April 7th? How does that sound?
Nancy

(Zone 1)

Suggestions for "Stuff" to Swap:

Garden Gloves
Small Garden Tools (Trowel, Shovel, etc)
Garden Book
Small Resin/Plastic Statuary (Birds, Frogs, Turtle, Snail, etc)
Small Garden Flag
Small Wind Chime
Small Decorative Bird House ( ..... hint, hint, I collect Birdhouses)!
Little Sun Catcher for Window
Plant Hooks
Plant Labels
Little Garden Signs
Little Decorative Flower Pot
Flower Seed Packets

C'mon everyone .... add your suggestions!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

ooooo I like I of your suggestions Lin : )
I will need to do a little thinking.You covered most of it .
OK
Pot Sitters

This message was edited Mar 9, 2007 1:57 PM

(Zone 1)

oooh, yeah! Love those little critters!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

me too : ) and then of course... rooting jars

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I've got to go. Just checked in to see if you all found the new link. Yes I will be fine with what ever you decide. The way I ran mine was certainly easy and saved on postage, but it would be fine with me if you ran it another way. The craft exchange I was in we sent our crafts to one person and they then sent them out. Two different ideas both with their own good points. I was happy with how the Rooting Jar Exchange ran and everyone else did seem pleased. I'm in however you decide to run it. Holly

Yes, that gives us 3 weeks to sign up and 4 weeks to come up with our exchanges. Looks good to me.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2007 3:05 PM

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks Holly : )
Ok lets see how much interest there is in an exchange like this.
Everyone Please post here if you are interested in taking part in the new exchange.If there is enough interest I will take it to the next level of actual signups.Sound good?
Nancy

(Zone 1)

Nancy: I think there might be more interest if you post a brand new thread with a heading re: "Garden Whimsy" Swap .... otherwise a lot of folks won't see it. Since we finished with the Rooting Jar Exchange and it is officially Closed, some people probably won't even access it. Just those who participated in the jar swap. I think it will catch a lot more "eyes" if you have a brand new post under House Plants Forum, but I may be wrong.

Lin

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I never thought of that...Thanks Lin : )

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Ok here is the link to the new thread
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/700094/

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Colie, thank you so much for the little green coca cola glass you sent me for the rooting jar exchange. When I find something to put in it, I will take a pix and include it here. Now I have received two jars and hoping for the third one soon. Glad everybody loved this exchange. I think it was cool.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was thinking about posting a note in the Garden Art Forum about our exchange. I thought there would be some that would be interested but wouldn’t notice it here in the House Plant Forum. Any opinions?

(Zone 1)

I think it would be great ... should probably post on the African Violet Forum too .... although, I think most of the people who visit the AV forum also spend a lot of time here on House Plants too!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh yes Holly and Lin thats a great idea.Post wherever you want.The more the merrier : )

Crozet, VA

Great idea Cedar. I am in. I got in kind of late on the rooting jar exchange, but did receive a jar and loved it.

Two ideas for exchanges that came to mind are - garden themed refrigerator magnet and garden themed jewelry. How about a small garden themed picture in a frame? Gardening bumper sticker, though I have never seen one. ha-ha

I will try to think of more ideas. Again, thanks for starting the new exchange.

Ruby

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

AHHHHHHHH, Peace, quiet and relaxation. First here is a picture of my kitchen window Lin's is hanging in the window with several other items that were already there. Ric did the large stain glass and I did the little sunchatcher. Lin you couldn't have picked better.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

good ideas, rubyw!!!! Love the refrigerator magnet and plaques!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are my other jars.
Ruby The pressed glass Vase is wonderful. I have another that is exactly the same size and shape but with a different pattern. Now I have a beautiful pair to put out. Thank you so very much.
Susan, The hand painted jar is just beautiful and looking great in my window love the sunflowers. The little vase is very interesting, a very long time ago I had a little cup (looked like a miniature mug with handle) that had a very similar look. It was grey in color and about 1/4 of the size of your pitcher I'll have to look for it. Thank you so much.
Susan, I'll have your jar in Mondays mail along with rooting from my Tri-color Ornamental Sweet Potato.
Thank you everyone for all the fun and see you in the Wimsey Exchange.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
(Zone 1)

Holly: Love the looks of that window with the stained glass, suncatcher and rooting jar! Wow! Look at that Snow! That scene through the window with the snow is so pretty too! Don't see that white stuff down here! I am glad you like the rooting jar I sent, it looks perfect hanging there in the window!

Lin

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Lin, You can see a little of our above ground pool and then you look out into what was once my horse pasture (horses have been gone for a long time) and then into the woods. You can just see the boats that have been stored back there for the winter. Every time I look out and see the boats I think how pretty it would look without them. But I guess the guys need some place to put them till summer.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

rubyw, I love the refrigerator magnet and plaques ideas : )

Holly your window looks amazing the way you have it decorated with the rooting jars and suncatchers.That snow is really pretty.Hard to believe in a few months you will be looking out that same window at lush green beauty. : )
Nancy

(Zone 1)

Holly: I would love to see a photo of that view in a couple of months with the lush green beauty as Nancy said! I didn't even notice the boats! Just the pretty snow scene! I have a hubby with a 24' boat that sits on a trailer in our side driveway year round! We do use it in the summer time. It's 79 degrees here today and if it weren't so windy, we probably would have gone out boating for the day! Next weekend, perhaps! We don't fish ... odd, everyone in my family loves to fish! My husband loves to dive, but I'm not a diver either .... I just love to ride along for the scenery. Here's a photo of where we like to go riding in the boat here in Daytona Beach. This is the Ponce De Leon Lighthouse.

Lin

Thumbnail by plantladylin

Lin,
That's so beautiful!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Beautiful view!! I especially love that lighthouse.

(Zone 1)

It is a very old lighthouse ... Many years ago I climbed the steps to the top .... talk about a beautiful view ... you should see it from up there! You can see way out in the Ocean, North & South and also the Intracoastal Waterway and some of the view of the cities of Daytona Beach and New Smyrna Beach.

Here's a photo of Disappearing Island in the River right across from the Light House .... we always anchor here for a few hours, and have lunch and just enjoy the view! It's a really huge Sand Island at low tide. The Name Disappearing Island came about because there's just a very little bit of land above sea level at high tide. We never go here on weekends ... too crowded, many, many boats and people! Everyone takes canopies, beach chairs, grills, kids, dogs, games ... and they spend the day. It's so crowded on weekends that if you don't get your boat there early, you are waiting for a spot to pull in anchor. We've even seen some boats anchored off the island and they swim to shore! This photo was taken on a weekday and we were the only ones there! Tide was coming in so you can see the water beginning to cover the sand. It is a very pretty place!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

I was really concerned when this box came in the mail, and I knew it was a rooting jar!

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth

But it turned out okay!

Thanks Sharon (Stownes) and rose_petalzz for the nice rooting jars!

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

That's a great looking rooting guy...looks like it has a green cast to it....fragrant geranium inside?

Yes, I put it to quick use to get my rose scented geranium cuttings from the greenhouse ready to plant in the garden.

(Zone 1)

Ooooh ... nice ByndeweedBeth! And .... Rose Secnted Geranium? I've never heard of that one ... must not grow way down here in the heat of the South! What do the flowers look like on that one? Have a photo to share? Oh, I wish I could smell that aroma! Sounds wonderful!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin, I think it is too hot for us to enjoy these wonderful plants.....

The scent is heavenly, and it has lilac colored blooms.

(Zone 1)

Gail: I think you are right ... but Oh, I can dream!

Lin & Gail,
I could be wrong but I think you can grow them inside(houseplant) as long as they get enough light.
Someone who grows these can tell you for sure.

(Zone 1)

Oh, I might just have to google that one and see if I can find a source to try it as a houseplant! Do they like full sun like regular geraniums?

Lin,
I have never grown them myself but read somewhere,where someone grew a plant in their bathroom..for the fresh scent.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2007 11:20 AM

These plants do pretty well as a houseplant, they just don't bloom as much. That isn't a problem for me because the scent is in the leaves, not the flowers. Just touch or lightly bend the leaves and it releases a lot of scent. I can send some cuttings if anyone wants them...just SASBE.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Beth..I sent you a d-mail : ) Thank You!!
Nancy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.