Springing forward early this year!

There are a total of 576 votes:

Great - It means the days get longer!
(372 votes, 64%)
Red dot

I'm glad daylight saving time is back, but I'm not ready yet!
(43 votes, 7%)
Red dot

I don't like changing my clocks
(143 votes, 24%)
Red dot

I live in a place that doesn't recognize daylight saving time
(18 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

YEAAA!!! First vote.

Edited to add: I think the changing of time clocks in this post-candle age is silly and really wish they would just keep the time the same for the whole year!

This message was edited Mar 5, 2007 8:55 AM

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Me too...changing the clocks throws me off for days afterwards...and I hate having to get up in the dark AGAIN once we change the clocks in spring.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm SO happy that we are going to DST early! I like to view my blooms daily and photograph them. In early spring before DST I don't get home in time.

I have also wondered why we don't just stay on DST. Then someone explained that in winter it would mean the children would be standing out at bus stops in the dark. That is, if there are actually still children whose parents don't take them to school. (From the looks of the traffic at the school near me it seems that all kids now have personal drivers.)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yeah, high time this silliness of changing the clocks to make-believe time in summer was stopped!

Resin

BTW, isn't this a bit early yet?? The clocks aren't tampered with until 25 March

Resin

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My child has to be at the bus stop at 6:45 am! I'm not getting dressed and out of the house that early... and anyway, for years, I didn't have a car.

xxx, Carrie

LOL scutler!!!! Would you believe we DO have some kids who still ride the bus and I actually see parents DRIVE them, YES, to the bus stop and it's not even ONE STREET from their house!!!! IN a cul-de-sac! But it's still dark here when the kids are getting on the a.m. bus so maybe that's why they drive them?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Resin, does your time change occur later than ours? (Silly me, I assumed everyone who does this was going early this year.) Here in the U.S., ours will change this coming Sunday (at 2 a.m., so really Saturday night for most of us ;o)

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

I voted for "I don't like changing......" partly because I'm so good at forgetting to do so, despite abundant reminders. Seems like I've spent a good portion of my working life arriving an hour early or an hour late!

Yeah, it's always the sunday after the equinox over here (same throughout the EU; I hadn't thought it would be different anywhere, too . . .)

Just goes to show how artificial the whole business is . . . it doesn't change real time, as measured by the position of the sun in the sky. Must play absolute havoc with transatlantic flight timings.

The most important thing to remember, when meeting people while DST is in operation, is to say "Good morning" until 1pm, and only then to change to "Good afternoon" - because noon (being real time) doesn't change.

Resin

edit:typo

This message was edited Mar 5, 2007 3:35 PM

Checked in my calendar . . .

Thumbnail by Resin
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

This is the first year for ours to be so early.

You know what they say....the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese ;o)

LOL Terry!

Westminster, CO(Zone 5a)

Daylight savings means I'll get my lazy parts out of bed earlier, that is, if I can move the two dacshunds and the husky pup up and off of me.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I love longer days although changing times wreaks havoc with my sleep pattern for about a month. I'm not clear on the reasons behind doing this new time change. Does anyone know?

June

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, it was part of the Energy Bill in Congress last year. They reasoned that a significant amount of energy would be saved if daylight were extended for another hour.

I love daylight time, but I hate losing an hour's sleep that night. However, that's a minor trade-off for being able to work in my garden later in the day at this time of year. It's warmer! (I have a north-facing balcony...)

Seaford, NY(Zone 7a)

It may be more difficult to get ready for work/ school in the morning. for example, my daughter wakes at 7:30 to go to school at 815. next week that would be waking at 830.... too soon this year especially in the north latitudes. sunrise next monday for me will be 7:09 that's like december and january!!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I wish we'd never get off DST. I hate when we change back in the fall and there's NO gardening time when I get home from work.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

wow, where have I been. I thought the time changed forward on the first Sunday in April. Why and who changed it?

Quoting:
Yes, it was part of the Energy Bill in Congress last year. They reasoned that a significant amount of energy would be saved if daylight were extended for another hour

Of course it doesn't make the daylight any longer . . . do politicians really believe that?!?

Next, they'll reason that a significant amount of damage can be prevented by making tornadoes and hurricanes illegal . . .

Resin

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

ROTFLOL!

I'm glad that it's changing early this year though. I like more daylight time at the end of the day....I'm a nightowl.

I thought the reasoning behind time changes dated back to the early days with candles? I won't attempt the story as I don't remember the history facts. Anyone know?

It may have started that way, but they changed it this year.....we are going to DST earlier than we usually do.

Ah I found the info:

Quoting:
Reason for Daylight Saving Time:

*To make better use of daylight
*Conserve energy
*Saves lives because people travel home in the light which is safer.
*Can prevent crime because people do their errands in the daylight which is safer.
*Contrary to popular belief, it was not created for farmers nor does it benefit farmers.

History of Daylight Saving Time:

*First thought of by Benjamin Franklin in his 1784 essay, "An Economical Project".
*On March 19, 1918, an Act to preserve daylight and provide standard time for the United States was enacted. Daylight Saving Time was set to begin on March 31, 1918 until the end of World War I.
*It was repealed in 1919.
*President Roosevelt instituted year-round Daylight Saving Time during World War II. He called it War Time and it lasted from 1942 to 1945.
*Daylight Saving Time was not a law after 1945 and some locations still used it, which created difficulties for scheduling.
*The Uniform Time Act of 1966 was signed by President Lyndon Johnson. It had Daylight Saving Time begin on the last Sunday in April and end on the last Sunday in October. States that wanted to be exempt had to pass a State law to do so.
*During the energy crisis in the 1970's, President Nixon signed into law, the Daylight Saving Time Energy Act of 1973. This extended Daylight Saving Time to longer periods in an effort to save energy.
*In 1986 it was amended to start Daylight Saving Time on the first Sunday in April and kept it ending on the last Sunday in October.
*April 2005 - Starting in April 2006 Indiana will join 47 other states in observing DST.
*On August 8, 2005, President Bush signed an energy bill that increased Daylight Saving Time from the second Sunday in March, to the first Sunday in November. (see pros and cons below)

Places in the U.S. and it's Territories That Do Not Participate in Daylight Savings Time:

Hawaii
Most of the Eastern Time Zone portion of the State of Indiana (starting in 2006, Indiana will be observing DST)
The state of Arizona except for the Navajo Indian Reservation
American Samoa
Guam
Puerto Rico
Virgin Islands

Pros and Cons of the Change in Daylight Saving Time in 2007

Pros:
*Energy use will be curtailed.
*Halloween trick or treaters will get more daylight.
*Longer "synthetic sunshine".

Cons:
*Daylight Saving Time may reek havoc on computers and electronics. Microsoft plans an upgrade for their operating systems but items such as DVD players and VCRs are programmed for the old dates and are not able to be upgraded.
*Other countries (Canada specifically) feel compelled to change also because their economy is so integrated with the U.S.
*Airlines are opposed to the changes because of scheduling International flights.
*Farmers are opposed because of the impact on livestock.

Taken from: http://familyinternet.about.com/cs/holidayfun/a/bldaylightfacts.htm

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I sleep well past the sunrise. I'm thrilled it's being changed to DST earlier this year. Kudos!

Harper

edited to say: Brilliant info Tir. thanks!

This message was edited Mar 5, 2007 1:30 PM

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I don't necessarily need the extra daylight yet, but I do think starting to gain back the hour lost in the morning sooner will be good.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

A 13-year old boy was kidnapped at gunpoint at his school bus stop here recently (he escaped, thank goodness). That's one of the reasons some parents walk their children to and from the bus stop. It also seems that in this area every year at least one child gets killed while waiting or walking in the dark. If it weren't for those kinds of danger, I'd be happy to change to DST all year.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

If I could choose, I'd prefer not to change the clocks ever. All time is just an artificial schedule anyway. But since we live in a modern world, I will enjoy having it light later.
Re: school bus problems. My sympathies, life is so dangerous now. I'm grateful my sons were able to walk safely from the bus stop up a hill for a quarter of a mile to the house without being abducted. One of us did drive them down in the morning, since the bus came at 7:15, first on and last off. When I was a kid we safely roamed the streets, used public transportation alone and generally did as we pleased and no one cared where we were as long as we showed up for dinner. Very sad state of affairs for today's children, imo.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

I am with Resin. Thats soooo funny but true.

Ida, MI

I don't care which one they choose, just choose one and leave it! All this saying it saves energy by adding daylight, thats just stupid! So no one turns on their lights when they get up in the morning!? LOL Changing the time every year just adds to fact of naturally shorter days in winter and makes it seem more extreme. I wish they would just leave it alone!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't understand the fuss, as long as we actually have sunshine, I'm a happy camper.

If there is that much problem with the kids at the bus stops, why don't they change the time school starts and ends? My kids' school starts at 9am and gets out at 3:30pm........I like that we don't have to get up so early.

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Time changing is artificial and stupid. Who do they think they are fooling? I hate changing clocks but since most of mine are atomic clocks it's not as much trouble as it used to be. Just decide what time it will be and never change the time again. It's all relative.

Ann

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

Where is all the daylight we are saving? Now I go to work in the dark and usually come home in the dark. Will the "saved" daylight be available at retirement? Daylight got along just fine without the govermnt messing with it for eons. Lord help us if they decide they can regualte the weather. Leave my time alone. I can get up earlier on my own to.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

What I like about DST is that since the sun comes up and sets later (relative to standard time), that means that it gets hot later so I have more time in the morning to do yard work. That isn't an issue this time of year but will be come July. What I hate about DST is getting adjusted to getting up earlier (relative to standard time).

Can someone explain this? *Farmers are opposed because of the impact on livestock.

Regardless of the time system, if kids have to leave for school before 7:15 AM, that's just wrong, IMO. When I was growing up, elementary school was something like 8:45 to 2:45 and high school was 8:05 to 3:05.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

There are kids at the bus stops here where I live at 6:30 in the morning. My neighbor had a grandson who spent almost 2 hours a day riding the school bus to and from school. That is ridiculous.

Don't like changing time, just inconvenient. I do enjoy the longer summer days though. Probably the livestock thing has to do with feeding and milking schedules and stuff like that.

Las Cruces, NM

Time does not change; DST is a myth.

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Keeping time as we know it did not exist until the Transcontinental Railroad was created necessitating the need for standardized time. Before that, the time of day was different everywhere you went.

I really don't care for DST. I'd rather we all go to one uniform method and stick with it.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I didn't vote. I am a sunshine person. I wake up when the sun comes up, clock time doesn't matter. I go to bed when I am tired, usually around midnight. I am trying the after lunch nap. I like it, 15 minutes or so do wonders for the old bod!
Bernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.