My Walking Iris

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

I haven't noticed any seeds, either, but I haven't really looked. I always propagate via the pups.

I bet this plant looks really neat in a natural setting, "walking" all over the place!

David

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

It won't overwinter in ground here. I do not have time in the fall to dig up so I keep in pots but I have heard it is gorgeous in ground near the coast...

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

I just might try that as an experiment. My spider plants come back after a winter in the ground, so why not.

Spider plants in ground come back here too. Let us know if you are successful...

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Funny I should run into this post, I just purchased the blue one (known as "Regina") on E-Bay for $4.99 (shipping was around $7.00 if I remember right). It was only a single fan but a nice large fan. I hope it does well and potted it in a HUGE floor pot in my bathroom. Not sure how to grow it correctly at this point but plan to research it today.

Kim

Saint Petersburg, FL

Hey I know this isn't the trade page but we have lots of the Yellow and several of the White/Blue Walking iris that we would love to trade for different Perennials. Also we do have that new solid blue, Wow it's awesome!
But don't have enough of it to trade and it is really expensive(!!) even down here in Florida. We have found two, one was 35bucks and the other(because in was blooming!) 45.00(!!) Yikes! But they really are striking, don't bloom as much as the yellow, seems to be more like the white/blue one but much bigger plants.
Happy Gardening, Terry.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Kim, I don't think the floor pot will work for long. These babies wanna walk!! Hanging would be best.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh goodness, I simply do not have anymore hanging space available boomjum. The darn hoyas and lipstick plants are EVERYWHERE! It's a darn jungle. I was thinking they would spill over the side and I would pot the babies back into the pot with the mom? I've never had a "walking" plant before so not sure what to expect. Any growing tips boojum?

Thank you,
Kim

I have done absolutely nothing special. Liquid fertilizer in the weekly watering tis all. Outside in summer. Your jungle made me laugh! I have 4 hoyas and some lipstick plants and a ton of epis that all want to hang. I bought 3 tiered fancy shelves a few years back an all three of them are different heights in front of windows. The walking iris is on the tallest one so it can hang babies. You can always give them away when they grow!

...and who needs curtains! :))

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Kim, you should be okay in the floor pot; whenever I pot up pups, I put them on the ground for a while and they grow just fine. Just make sure you have good drainage.

You can either pot them back into the mommy pot or, as mentioned, give them away to friends!

David

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Rose hip,

I was selling at GreenFest in Tampa the blue walking iris this weekend at $7 for a 3 fan in a one gallon.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Saint Petersburg, FL

Hey Dale,
We were there today, didn't see yours but not looking for anymore now, but that's a really great deal(!!)
Got our first one almost 2 yrs ago at Crowley's (35.00) and the 2nd one last summer at Bloom (45.00)
in bloom though and a big beauty too! Had a great time today, found many goodies that we couldn't live without(of course!) greenfest in our favorite event of the year!! Say what else are you selling??
Hope you had a good weekend, pray for a little rain, we all need it... Terry.

Wow Dale. Beautiful! If I were there I would buy one!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

What a great price, Dale!!
:) Donna

Hi again. Well I missed when 3 of the blooms opened (only last a day) but I vowed to post a pic when the second round happened and there are lots more. Perfect for an Easter morn.

Thumbnail by boojum

One more.

Thumbnail by boojum

What a delight! Happy Easter!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

boojum - Just beautiful! I have never seen Walking Iris before. If I were to get one of these, would it be happy in a 1/2 day sun window which may be drop to about 60 degrees or so during the winter? I would put it outside for the summer. Also, what is the pretty variegated plant in the background on post 3368165?

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

What wonderful Iris pics! Your plants or beautiful. Thank you for sharing with us.

Snowrose, not sure about 60 degree nights, but these are in an east window so they get half day light. That's a variegated geranium 'Frank Headley' in the background. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/75479/index.html

Thanks, tetleytuna!!

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

boojum - very nice display!! It must be so nice to have them all "pop" at once. Two of mine are loaded up, but I doubt I'll have that many open at once. Nice and thanks for sharing.

David

I only had 3 open the first round. This time first rounders and second rounders opened together. More to come.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I came home from Easter out of town and found four blooms on the yellow walking iris I just got in a trade with rose-hip last week. What a nice surprise.

Oo. Have a pic?

Saint Petersburg, FL

Hey Cinda, Happy Easter!! I tried to send out at least 1 mature Yellow
w/buds to help brighten up your "Wintery Spring"!! Glad it made your day.
Terry.

My walking iris is blooming again for the third (and final) time today.

Thumbnail by boojum

What a great show and it's such a boost at this time of year.

Thumbnail by boojum

close-up.

Thumbnail by boojum

Last one till next year!

Thumbnail by boojum
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wow....beautiful!!

How can you tell it will be the "last one"?

They usually have a second bloom then no more. I was lucky to get three the first round as a preview and then 7 and then 7. Unusual to have 3 bloom periods.

Interesting, now will it make plantlets? Sounds like you have kept this beautiful plant going for many moons...

Actually I've only had it 2 1/2 years. When it moves outside it will make babies that hang from the mother plant.

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Both of mine are loaded up for another run!! They're more full than last time!

I will try to post some pics.

David ~ do you have them outdoors? in the ground yet?

BTW, look forward to your pictures....

This message was edited May 9, 2007 7:21 PM

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Mine have been outdoors year round; I brought them in only for freezes.

This spring I planted some of the pups in a new bed I put in.

Here are the pics from yesterday's bloom:

This is my container on the patio (east facing, afternoon shade):
http://picasaweb.google.com/speckledpig/2007Gardening/photo#5064276674886385266
http://picasaweb.google.com/speckledpig/2007Gardening/photo#5064276674886385282

This is my hanging basket on front porch (west facing, some afternoon sun):
http://picasaweb.google.com/speckledpig/2007Gardening/photo#5064276679181352594

Regards,
David

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great idea to put some in hanging baskets. I'm going to do that to.
:) Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.