What Is Your Heart's Desire?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

If you could pick 3 plants that you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want, what would they be?
For me, it would be:
1.) Philodendron 'Strawberry Shake'
2.) Philodendron Cruentum
3.) Begonia 'Little Miss Mummey'

It's hard to pick only 3, isn't it? :)

GH

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

This is Terribly Hard GH !! LOL Well if I could only pick 3...Only 3.. I guess they would have to be
1.Hoya "Curtsii"
2.Philodendron "Brasil"
3.Philodendron "Silver"

Nancy

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

:) Nancy- Curtisii is the small-leaved Hoya, correct? Are the leaves waxy or thin? Does it have fragrant blooms? I think I remember it looking so much different than most other hoyas.

P. 'Brasil' is a gorgeous one! I aspire to have a nice, great big ole full basket one day! She has grown very slowly for me, though. My pink princess grows faster than she does!

P. 'Silver'- Is this actually Scindapsus Pictus 'Argyraeus', or commonly Satin Pothos? Is there a pic in the plant files?

Edited to say: Nevermind that last question Nancy! I found the plant in the plantfiles and saw your tradelist underneath. :)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2007 8:45 PM

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

My first pick would be a yellow blooming Christmas Cactus, my second would be any stapelia, and my third would be a Hoya Obovata... I'm easily pleased....Deb

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Deb!

Not an expert on C and S, but don't stapelia have "fragrant" blooms?: ;) Do they really smell that bad? I don't know if you know anything about aroids or not, but there is a plant called Amorphophallus Konjac that has horribly stinky blooms. So bad that you have to leave the area. A friend gave me some bulbs last Fall and they are starting to sprout now. I'm not so sure about growing these now. My vision of wafting fragrance is more akin to Jasmine 'Maid of Orleans', not a dead horse! Enough of that- SO- the stapelia have the blooms that look like stars, no? If so, the ones I've seen on DG are so very pretty!

I have a small Obovata that I got from Kartuz last year. I got zilcho new leaves on it last year. I t hought, Wow! this thing must grow as slow as molasses! However, it has grown 2 new leaves since I started using the "brew" on it over a month ago. I forget what attracted me to this Hoya. Maybe the speckled foliage reeled me in. I don't believe it has fragrant blooms, which is usually a deciding factor for me in purchasing flowering houseplants.

It should be easy for you to come into the yellow Christmas Cactus. I want a yellow one named 'Sunset', myself. I like the yellows a lot too.

(Zone 1)

Oh ... so hard to pick only three, but let me try.

Philodendron 'Pink Princess'
Philodendron domesticum variegatum
Philodendron erubescens 'Black Cardinal'

Oooh ... can I please have 4? I really, really also want:

Schlumbergera truncata 'Gold Charm' (A yellow Christmas/Holiday Cactus)!!

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

When we live in CA I grew one without knowing a thing about it.....this is how I've done plants most of my life...like the look, buy the plant & just kinda go by my gut....My maternal Grama & numbers of my aunts had green thumbs so guess I got alittle bit of their blessing....anyway, I'm enclosing a pic of the stapeliad I had in Sacramento from when I first started growing it until we left CA....my husband & I called it the "Dog Butt" cactus cause when it was in bloom our male Boston Terrier would just bury his nose in it for minutes at a time....Bob & I knew nothing about it except it stunk especially toward the late afternoon/early evening....you couldn't go over to that part of the patio because of it....one day our neighbor asked us if we had something dead on our side of the fence.....I was a church secretary in Elk Grove where we lived and I took one of the blooms in and had it on my desk to show the other secretaries cause no one believed me how bad it smelled & one of the ladies from the Service Circle came in and picked it up and just took a big sniff!!!!!!!! she never did let me live that down......I have had one bloom on the one I have now & it sits on an east facing window sill....I pulled the curtain shut one afternoon while it was in bloom and you almost had to leave the room when I opened it up!!!!!!!!! but they flat intrique me and I just love the complete look of them....

Thumbnail by Depsi
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

GH, I never really even thought about if curtsii's blooms had a fragrance.LOL I fell in love with the look of its leaves.They are only ½", heart-shaped, and speckled....I like spots : ) I don't even know if they are thick or thin leaved. I gotta do more homework : ) I have a few Hoyas but I can't say what they are without looking at the tags.

Deb,Yellow Christmas Cactus Huh? : )

Lin,I have Pink Princess.Its a cutting I got from a friend last summer.I have it rooted well and looks great... as long as I keep it in water .Its the craziest thing..but as soon as I pot it up it the leaves dry up and so back in the water it goes.I wonder why that is??Maybe one of these days I will be able to pot it up and it will stay happy and grow so I can share some..

Hmmm...interesting...looks like we have a few looking for a Yellow Christmas Cactus. I can hardly believe it but I might actually be able to help you all out! See..Miracles Do Happen!LOL I got a monster yellow one that could use a haircut.Its just a noid but has Gorgeous Yellow Blooms.I can't remember where but I put a picture on one of the forums of him.If anyone wants and don't mind if it doesn't have a real name I will HAPPILY send cuttings. Which reminds me I know there are a few I promised cuttings to that I forgot to write down so I will need to go back through the forums to see if I can find them or hope they remind me.GH were you one I promised to? : )
Nancy

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Deb,LoL about the "Dog Butt" cactus.I will laughing about that one for awhile.The bloom looked pretty though!

(Zone 1)

Nancy: Me, Me .... I would LOVE cuttings of your Yellow Noid Christmas Cactus! I have Philo Brasil/Brazil (I've seen it spelled both ways and am not sure which is correct). And, I have some of that Satin Pothos too (if it is the same as Philo Silver). Will put your name on both.

I had some Hoya 'Curtsii' that I got in a trade, but it didn't survive. It is a neat little plant, but it didn't like me I guess cause I somehow killed it!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thats sounds like a Deal to me Lin! My pleasure.I will put a bunch along in with the other things I am sending you : ) I think you are maybe right about philo silver and satin pothos being the same thing?They sure look alike anyway.Brasil?...Brazil?....Tomato...Tamato...I would love either : )Thanks so much!! You know I was wondering how tough Curtsii would be to grow.It looks pretty dainty and dainty and I don't get along the best either.Maybe I better rethink my Hoya wants...
Nancy

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Just saw this thread...lol...

cedar, I have a satin pothos. It's the 'Argyraeus' one. Although I honestly don't know what the difference is between that and just the regular satin pothos. Too cold to ship now, though. Can you hold on? ; )

I have a yellow noid christmas cactus, too, but it seems like everyone is wanting one of those. I've made so many cuttings...going farther than I ever wanted to...I just don't want to sacrifice any more of it. That's so nice that you're sharing it with others, cedar.

Let's see...my 3 heart desires...lol
Streptocarpus 'Salmon Sunset'
bougainvillea...pink (saw one at Lowe's, but they wanted $50 for it...yikes!)
& oxalis 'Rubra'

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Nancy, I would love a segment of the yellow fellow.....I have a peanut cactus which right now is the only thing I have that I'm able to send starts of, if you would like that? it's the easiest thing in the world to grow and actually loves getting a regular watering....I'll enclose a pic and let me know.....Deb

Thumbnail by Depsi
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Deb, what a funny story about your Stapelia! I have to say, both the plant and the flower look great. When does it bloom for you?

Why in the world are Bouganvilleas so expensive? I've seen some really pretty pink ones, but always passed them up because of the price!

Nancy, I remember us talking about the CC and I was going to send you something too. Was it my red Christmas Cactus- 'Carmen'? Are you the one who has the Goliath CC? LOL I have to search the threads too....:)

(Zone 1)

cjolene: When I'm out and about tomorrow, I will check out bouganvillea .... we see them all the time down here and I don't ever remember seeing one for $50. I have seen, at Home Depot a tree form for $149.99 .... but regular pots of the stuff aren't ever that expensive. I think our Wal-Mart has it too. I never pay too much attention to bouganvillea - had a hanging basket years ago that ended up on the ground next to a steel light pole that we had by our back drive way. Anyway, that little Bougie grew up that pole ... was sooooo beautiful in full pink glory. We had a bad windstorm one day .... didn't know the steel pole had rusted out at the bottom (Bougies have horrendous long thorns when they get big, so we didn't go near it) and anyway, the light pole went crashing to the ground, broke the Bougie off down about a quarter way up the pole ... so I told my DH to trash the thing ... pole and Bougie. He dug up the thing, cut up all the long branches which get pretty thick when large like that, and threw it away. The are really Gorgeous plants when in full bloom, but so dangerous - I don't want any plants with thorns anymore, got tired of getting jabbed so many times!

Will let you know what I find later!

Lin

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

GrowHappy, I no longer have that stapelia....it stayed behind with our neighbors (bet they were surprised when the "something dead" ended up at their place) when we moved to Idaho almost 2yrs ago....I have one little fella now that has bloomed once during the fall but has a bloom setting on it getting read to open so not sure when to expect blooms.....Here's pic of the one I have now and the one stinky blossom it had earlier.....Deb

Thumbnail by Depsi
Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Hearts Desires - Var Spilt Leaf, Burle Marx and Anderson Red Philos

I guess really any philos I don't have.

Depsi,very pretty plant but I love the little snownman-would love to find one for my sister.
I'm still trying to get down to "3" most wanted plants :)

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

CJolene.. I can definitely hold on.LOL Oh I have some streps but not 'Salmon Sunset' Maybe I can see what else I can tempt you with?

Deb,I sent some of my yellow christmas cactus cuttings off to you today.I put them in with the rooting jar exchange I sent you.If they don't make it ok with the weather I will send more when it warms a bit more.I just figured what the heck..I was sending the jar anyway : ) Oh..I would love some of your Peanut Cactus.If its easiest in the world and actually likes being watered we just might be a match made in heaven : )

GH...Thats it!! Good Memory Girl! It was "Carmen" I wanted from you for some of my yellow.It would have taken me all week to try and find that thread again.I really need to start writing things down because..I WON'T Remember later! LOL

Snboyken,I am still in search of a Burle Marx too.If I ever come across another I will send it your way : )

Well I am going to go to my trade tracker and write all this stuff down.If I put it off I will be completely lost ; )
Nancy

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

The $50 I saw was pretty big...about as tall as me. So I assume that's why it was so expensive. But I didn't realize they had thorns. Obviously, I've never touched one. I've got a little one who likes touching my plants, so perhaps I'd better pass on the bougainvillea until he's grown enough to understand. Thanks for the offer, though, Lin. ; )

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

lol I was typing when you were, cedar. ; ) I am open for just about all gesneriads. ; )

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Great CJ, I will go thru what I have and send you a dmail : )

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hmmm....also a very hard one to answer for me. Variegated monstera, philo grazieliae (not sure I spelled that right), and haworthia maughanii. Had the haworthia but lost it last summer, I was really bummed. I have the philo hopefully arriving this week, bought it on ebay, but since I don't actually have it yet I am keeping it on the list. The monstera is a dream since all the ones I see go for more money that I am willing to spend. And add to the list any hoya I don't have....lol.

Growhappy....I have Little Miss Mummy but she isn't looking too good right now. If she perks back up I'll root you a cutting.

cedarnest....I can root some curtisii for you if you would like.

cjolene....if you still want that bougainvillea, let me know and I will root some for you. I agree they are thorny but if you keep it in a pot then you could sit it up out of reach of the little one.

:) Kim

(Zone 1)

Oh Yes Cjolene ... If you have a little guy, you don't want the Bougie for awhile. Even the small plant I have in a hanging basket has many thorns, and as they get larger and the the vines grow longer, the thorns are really large too! Beautiful Blooms, but Deadly Thorns!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

blue_eyes Kim YES!! LOL I would love if you would root some curtsii for me.Now I am all excited.Hope I can find something to repay you with.Take a look at my tradelist ok? It isn't totally updated yet but I have a few things on there.Let me know if anything interests you : ) Thanks!!
Nancy

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Cedar if I get my hands on burle marx I will save you the first start as well. I have looked at it on ebay before, however it was to cold to ship, hasn't been on there lately.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sharon,I will do the same for you : ) I noticed it hasn't been on Ebay lately either.I keep checking too : ) Maybe one of these days...

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Deb, that bloom is to die for! It looks like an exotic starfish. What kind of light do you give it? Have you been feeding it?

Sharon- I like Burle Marx too. Steve(MiamiMax on DG) has a variegated one for sale, but it's not the yellow variegate. $75 for a 6 inch pot. He said it offsets well. His is the albo marginata(white). I saw the aurea variegata(yellow) on eBay a few days ago(an old bid). It was one of most beautiful philos I've ever seen. I think it was going for $150. I am smitten with the yellow variegated philos. The variegated 'Florida' has yellow in it and I just adore it. I got that one from Steve last Spring. Right now, I'm trying to get my philo 'Kaleidoscope' to start sprouting some new leaves. It lost a few during the winter. It was sent as a cutting and I've had it rooting in damp spagh and perlite all winter. I placed it in a huge glass cookie jar with damp spag all around the pot for humidity. It's come through pretty darn well. Wish me luck on that one!

Kim- thank you for the offer of Little Miss Mummey. I hope she pulls through for you. Begonias can be very fickle. I grow several species, and must say that the rex begonias are the most troublesome for me. My Beefsteak is blooming right now. Ya just gotta love Begonia blooms for their daintiness. All those pink sprays of flowers are enchanting.

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Several of my hearts desire are just out of my price range such as the var monestera. I have been wanting it for two years. Oh well mabye someday. I love all philos, I have not seen the kaleidoscope. I have seen the Fl Var one, really nice as well.

(Zone 1)

I've wanted that Variegated Monstera for a long time as well as the Pink Princess! I haven't heard of Kaleidoscope ... need to google that to see if I can find a picture!

(Zone 1)

Oh man ... that is gorgeous!! I Want, I Want .... Wow, another for the lengthy wish list!

Wonder why we don't see many of these?

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I have a pink princess, my 2nd now, the first one died. I received the 2nd from a trade last fall, so far so good, It is a slow grower.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Lin, Kaleidoscope is not in the trade anymore, according to Steve. I got mine from him. He says that he got it from a collector 20 years ago. You can see why I want to do all I can to get this cutting going!

Lin, I think Steve has the Var. Monstera Borsighiana, which looks similar to Deliciosa. If you get a chance, search the forums for the name "MiamiMax" and you will see all of the plants that Steve has posted(his plants) on here. Gorgeous, I'm tellin ya, you're gonna just drool! Got a bib?

GH

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

cedarnest....I looked over your list and I have several of the hoyas you are looking for. I can put together a box for you once I get things rooted. I would love to get some more bella, I only have two little cuttings right now and they aren't doing too good. Also the incrassata sounds neat. I haven't gotten back into avs since I moved to texas but I could try a few leaves to start if you wanted to pick some out.

Growhappy....yes they are difficult, always have been for me. And yet I always seem to go back to them. I am trying some more this spring. Miss Mummy is one that has barely survived since the move, I am hoping that some time outside in our Texas humidity will get her going.

:) Kim

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Kim,Thank you for the kind offer...I accept Whoo Hoo!! : ) I will have fun putting together a box for you.Oh yes its time you got back into AV's. I will pick out some prettys for you.Also Bella,and incrassata.I will go add you to my tradetracker now.Thank You!!
Nancy

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Nancy, glad you mentioned tradetracker. I just added you. This is the easy way to remember who you are supposed to trade with.

I think there was somebody else, but I can't remember now. :((((((

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

GH,Yep got you in mine too : ) It sure beats trying to go back thru old posts huh?Or like I used to do.....write it on a piece of paper and then forget where the piece of paper was I wrote it on. : )

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

OMG! I do that all the time! How sad is that? LOL

(Zone 1)

Uh Oh ... sounds like some of y'all are giving away your age! Misplacing notes? I must admit, I am soooo bad about that. I lose my glasses, my car keys .... go into a room, and forget what I went in there for! :) I DO have to write things down, or I will Never remember if I don't.

I just LOVE the Trade Tracker feature .... wouldn't be able to keep up without it .... and I like the improvements they recently made. Made it much easier for me to handle! I never could figure out the Journal or Diary, so don't even bother with those, but I love the Trade Tracker.

(Zone 1)

GH: I think I remember another DG'er (Nan) told me about MiamiMax and gave me his web address, but I don't remember what it was. I almost bought a couple of plants, but didn't want to spend that much money at the time. I need to go back and do some research and find my list again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.