What's everyone ordering for spring in the from of woodies?

Thornton, IL

Mike that cornus does look like a hosta tree, very cool. What is a yellowish-leaved small shrub that has good winter interest?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Mike that is fantastic. Gotta have one now. Thanks for the picture.

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Growin- thanks for that picture of Stachyurus salicifolius. Camellia Forest lists it so I can add it to my long wish list from there. It's hardy to 7b according to them. Stachyurus praecox is more hardy. Dirr lists it to zone 6.

Concord, NH

Soferdig & PGZ5 - I can't remember where I first heard about Cornus alternifolia 'Golden Shadows', but I wanted a more subtle variagation than the white & green varieties of variagated Cornus, and C. florida cultivars aren't always hardy here. I got mine at Garden Crossings. I assume they will be rather small, but my experience with the straight species is that they grow pretty quickly when young. I also love the shape of the tree, and my straight species plants are really of 4 season interest - winter structure, spring flowers followed by berries that gradually change color over the summer to end up dark purple-black on bright red petioles (and keep the whole plant shivering with bird life for about 10 days) and then lovely yellow, peach, purplish colors in autumn.

I also considered a gold-foliaged Cornus alternifolia, Gold Bullion, that Klehm's Song Sparrow carries, but at present don't have a place to put it as I would only put it right near a building, not in the more transitional areas I'm currently planting with woodies like rhodies, mt. laurels, witchhzels, redbuds, viburnums, etc as well as a few woodland herbaceous species like sedges, solomon's seal, partridgeberry, etc. Maybe at some point in the future I'll find a spot for it.
http://www.songsparrow.com/2007new/plantdetails.cfm?ID=521&type=Woody%20Plants&pagetype=plantdetails

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

It's a beautiful tree. I'm still trying to figure out how I killed mine last year! Was in a well drained spot with morning sun and dappled sun the remainder of the day. I watered it regularly, as we had extended periods without rain last Summer. And it was a decent size to begin with. I have ordered one from GC also, and it will certainly be a smaller specimen. Hopefully, this time it will make it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I would like to try one of those Gold Bullion also.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I bought a Cornus Alternifolia 'Argentea' last year. I am hoping for a brushy cornus with bright foilage under the woodland area. I like yours better due to the chartreuse varigation. It always looks better especially near my sambucus 'Madonna' where it will be placed. This picture is the one Gossler Nursery sent me. I have bought a smaller one.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2007 8:50 PM

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Those Cornus sure look nice! I saw this one last year and liked the colour. C. alba 'Spaethii'

Thumbnail by growin
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Is that one bush like or a tree Growin? Looks kind of bushy. Love the color. I am going to have to go shopping to find the perfect one (two or three).

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

It's a shrub-type. It'd kinda look neat having a few of these below the C. alternifolia 'Argentea'. I noticed Forestfarm has it.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes my 'Argentea' arrived tree like and not bushy but it is only 14" high. I hope it is as light as the picture has it. I am planning to pile a grotto of stumps next to it and I thought the white varigation of Argentea would look great. You have given me a good idea with the bushy 'Spatheii'. What is their final height in 10 yrs?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Sofer,
That's a very nice 'Argentea'. I bet that cost a bundle since it's so large. I have an 'Argentea' also and 'Golden Shadows' beats 'Argentea', hands down. My 'Argentea' is just starting to get some size to it. I need to prune my plant back to one stem so it's more tree-like in form and not as wide.

I like 'Golden Shadows' because the leaves are flat, like the species, whereas the leaves of 'Argentea' are somewhat contorted.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

The Western Garden Book says to 10' but I'd recommend an annual prune job on it in the spring. It seems to grow better and the 1st year stems look brighter in the winter. Dirr mentions it is less vigorous than the species or other cv's.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The picture is of the Gossler nursery of the tree. Mine is only 14" tall. Of course it was quite cheap. I do have it in the perfect spot though. I am getting a 'golden shadows' also. I loved the Chartreuse in it. I also got a 'Happy Summer' Cornus. And I like it. here is a shot of it.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Thornton, IL

Love that pink tint, it would look nice in front of a Coppertina ninebark or other chocolate-colored foliage.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

It is next to two Sambucus nigra on both sholders of the tree. You and I think alike.

Thornton, IL

You are a far better artist, but thank you. :-)

Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

That is an amazing Argentea, Soferdig. Mine I got from Gossler nearrly 10 years ago is perhaps that big, maybe 4' tall and 6' across. The foliage on mine is never that dense and it doesn't look as healthy as that one. Yes, I would guess that cost. They are very slow growing.

My viburnum list from Classic Viburnums ended up 66 different plants. We'll see.

The dogwood talk reminds me that I need to find Cornus (?alternifolia, ?controversa?) 'Jeanine'. The best of the variegated alternate leaved dogwoods I have seen. Might be 'Janine', not sure.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Nobody is getting that that is not MY TREE. It is the picture gossler had on their site. Mine is only 14" tall but it is already shaped like an umbrella.
Gee PGZ you are the one who has become the Master Gardener and you now talk in Latin. Well done. Is your hair still blonde. LOL

Thornton, IL

It is dirty blonde, but that's only fitting, LOL.

Classic Viburnums is such a great nursery. 66, eh? How do you thin that type of a lust list down to something more manageable?

Thornton, IL

LL for short, as in Cool Jay. :0)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

All men have control over lust lists. It is the others that we have trouble with. We build our lists and then lose it. Then we are not so consumed with the ability to not have it all. LOL

Thornton, IL

Maybe the only reason you wanted it was so that you couldn't have it.

Umm, have you seen the list from Classic Viburnums? That doesn't strike me as a list that someone would lose. You might stick it under your pillow at night to have sweet dreams but I don't think you'd lose this one.

Here, please go check out their inventory for yourself and see what you think-
1385 Q Road
Upland, NE 68981
Phone: 308-425-3057
Cell: 308-470-1231
Fax: 308-425-8240
Email: glclassicviburnums@rcom-ne.com

Just realized there was a link to Classic Viburnums
http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/5988/

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

The area code on the phone number on that link is wrong--it's 308.

David:

Only 66? Come on, you have 5 acres now don't you? What did you plan to do--order gallon size or ??? I will probably be making a trip out there in the spring.

Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes Kevin, I am ordering 1-2 gallon size, depending on how horrendous the shipping charges are going to be. Gary is checking that for me. And yes, 66 viburnums to start. Of course, I DO have some already. And I have to leave room for witchhazels, japanese maples, magnolias, a few conifers, and 1000s of perennials, clematis and roses too. And that's for about 2 acres of sun, though I am putting some of the NA native, more shade tolerant viburnums in the woods.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Having just come out of hibernation, I'm ready to get busy...

Here's what I've got coming so far:

Alnus 'Tortuosa'
Ulmus 'Frosty'
Zelkova 'Goshiki'
Liriodendron Tulipifera 'Ardis Dwarf'
Morus Alba 'Paper Dolls'
Ulmus Procera 'Argentovariegata'
Ulmus x Hollandica 'Wredei'
Abies Alba 'Pendula'
Pinus Densiflora 'Robinson's Bonsai'
and last but not least....
Ginkgo biloba 'Majestic Butterfly'
Ginkgo biloba 'Kristina'

I'm sure there will be more!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I did save a spot for a new hydrangea paniculata. I'll have to see what new there is. Maybe the Swan or Unique - we'll see.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Dybbuk! We knew you'd come through with something odd--ok, many things odd.

I am more sedate. I made my first order for anything this year, and it was Pinus flexilis 'Extra Blue' and a tree peony. I plan on another Davidia. More to come I'm sure.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You'd be shaken from the self-imposed stupor if you'd been around Lexington with me today. To wit:

•several Acer griseum 5-6" caliper
•four Parrotia persica 4" caliper
•more 20-25G Cladrastis kentukea 'Perkin's Pink' than I've ever seen in one place (most with gobs of spent flower heads and some seeds still attached)
•several dozen plants of multiple clones of Aesculus x carnea 6-8'

Sorry, few viburnums to speak of (yet) except for a full field of Viburnum x pragense.

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Welllllll....I do need something to replace the doomed ashes, that needs to be a bigger size, and I have 6 or so ashes here.......and I do like variety........except I have all those that you list, just not so big. Actually, no Aesculus x carnea, and I love those horsechestnuts. 'Ft. McNair'? 'Briotti'? How do their leaves fare down there towards August? I am kind of spoiled with Aesculus chinensis and A. 'Autumn Splendor' now--they both have perfect leaves till fall.

I just received my order confirmation and they won't be in a position to sell me-
Morus rubra (Red Mulberry) supplier couldn't guarantee it was straight species
S. decora (Showy Mountainash)
Staphylea trifolia (Bladdernut)

I already have straight species M. rubra here so I can wait until next year but I truly wanted S. decora and S. trifolia.

Were these plants ordered by anyone else from any growers in the Midwest that might have stock?

Eau Claire, WI

Outback Nursery has both of these.

www.outbacknursery.com

I submitted an online request for information. Is that a wholesale nursery? I don't have a retail tax ID so I need a retail nursery.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

You folks are all so far ahead of me, my tiny list is a previously mentioned Mountain Ash, sorbus americana, three Eastern Red Cedars and three hazelnut bushes. I've got an acre and a third here and about 15% is in native forest and the rest is either my driveway, two houses and sheds, a veggie and blueberry plot and half an acre of open field with mixed sod, all on a slope. Unfortunately I don't have the funds or the ability to transform the whole place into a botanical wonderland but I try to add a few things every season. It's great to read what everyone else is planting. Post some photos if you can. You know the old adage, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Tee he, it's a little early for me to be posting any photos of plants I ordered. I won't even receive mine until the end of April or the beginning of May.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Equil,
Out Back is a retail nursery. They do have a wholesale division, if you have a tax ID #, but you shouldn't have any problem ordering from them. Hopefully, they will have the Morus rubra in a size that can be shipped.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Rose, I made a similar observation back in the thread. There seems to be no lack of space or budget for some fortunate people! Unless these long lists are orders for twigs, we are talking some big bucks. People on this forum are certainly doing their share to keep the economy humming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.