Show us your baby pictures!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

No, not those babies.

The garden kind!

Thumbnail by LarissaH
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Larissa,
here are my very first attemp to plant seeds....

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

and here is another pic... nasturtions and moonflower

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

and if it all goes ok, I have 6 flats to plant....

Thumbnail by Kassia
Thornton, IL

Larissa - Are those hostas? :0)

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Prairie, yes, they were already trying to grow in the package I got from Wal-Mart - had to pot them up quickly. They are much bigger than I expected, it was a pleasant surprise! I also have moonflowers, morning glories, coleus, caladiums, impatiens, pansies...too many to mention. And I'm running out of room so the weather has to hurry up and warm up!

Kassia, you are doing good, moonflowers are a pain to germinate. :)

This message was edited Feb 18, 2007 10:51 PM

Thumbnail by LarissaH
Thornton, IL

I like your set-up, I need to get something together here soon.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Your set ups look so nice and neat. No matter what I do, and I re-arrange things a lot, the plant room looks like chaos, LOL. But a reflection of the madness in my mind. But the babies are such good therapy at this time of year! This is my first try at impatiens from seed, and so far, so good. These were started in January and transplanted around the first of February. Being my first try with these, I started with a cheap pack of mixed dwarf impatiens from WalMart. I want lots of them to fill in around the tropicals, and I'm too cheap to buy that many annuals, lol. I'm sowing another pack today, and hoping these will get big enough to take cuttings from before planting time.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Another tray of them:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Some are extra sturdy little things. They do make one feel like a proud parent, don't they?

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've also been taking coleus cuttings to have plenty to use with the tropicals too.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

...and Alternathera 'Black Knight', 'Black&Blue' Salvia, and more coleus...

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Thornton, IL

Great job Neal! I love coleus everywhere, in every planter and garden bed.

You all are very encouraging. I just bought some pepper, tomato and pumpkin seeds. I'll have to get them started up soon.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm so organized I'm pretty sure I'm beyond anal. My journal is meticulous, and I even made a spread sheet of bloom times.

My only regret is this is a temporary setup and I couldn't justify the costs of professional heating pads and plant lights. But trust me, I'll have them someday. And a greenhouse.

This has GOT to have been simmering in me for years, because I'm a first time gardener acting like a kid who got quickly addicted to crack...

(Pic is my four o'clocks.)

Thumbnail by LarissaH
Thornton, IL

Larissa - There are worse addictions! Signed, One of your enabling friends here at DG. ;-)

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Here are my babies:
coleus cuttings

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

#2 more coleus cuttings:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

#3: lettuce

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

#4: more lettuce

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Pansies:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Newborn coleus...only 2 days old! ;-) I added the arrows so you can actually see them.

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Genovese basil for my mom:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I'm going to post some of mine....they aren't as pretty as a lot I've seen, but you know every mother thinks her babies are the most beautiful!

Suzy

This is a pot of Angel Wing begonias. I am inordinately proud of these because the seeds are dust and the resultant seedlings were smaller than the head of a pin when they germinated! A pal from Oregon sent me 11 seeds (pieces of dust) and all but one made it!

Thumbnail by Illoquin

These are a funny primula from Mr. Fothergill's...Primula 'Dazzler Tagetes'. The flowers look like marigolds. Hunh? Not sure why someone would feel the need to make Primula look like Marigolds, but the seeds sure grew well! I received 25 seeds froma local pal and have 24 Baby Huey sized plants. They are ready, oh, so ready! to go outside, but the weather isn't quite warm enough.

I should have added that these were sown Dec 19, 2006.

Suzy

This message was edited Feb 24, 2007 2:07 PM

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Here we have the Pertunia 'Tidal Wave Silver' -- a hanging basket variety. I hope. WZ, these are from the same packet of seeds I sent you. I only wanted a few because white flowers are not my favorites except around the patio.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Here is a pack of those Dolchissimo Frangellico (or close) petunias from Park's. I, uh, accidentally dumped them all in one spot when I was sowing them. These probably need to be pricked out today. Do you agree?

Thumbnail by Illoquin

This is climbing snapdragon, Asarina scandens. I have never grown it before and thought it would take a long time, but it's coming right along. The flowers on this particular one are violet, but I have 3 other kinds yet to sow.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Thornton, IL

Suzy - They are so adorable! Look at their fuzzy little cheeks. That one's got your eyes. And that one has your little itty bitty toes! ;-)

These are for WZ. One of the very first threads I ever found on DG was her "Seed snatchin" series. It gave me the idea to snatch seeds to have for trade, so being I was new and had ZERO seeds, I thought it was quite a coup! These are plain purple Impatiens from marquee planting of the church up the street. I was surprised by the delivery on them -- that seed cover springing open in my hand was a surprise! -- but quickly got the hang of it.

Impatiens prefer to be sown in groups -- I have seen articles on "mutual stimulation" that caught my eye, but for other reasons ROTFL! that explain this fact and its advisement on sowing certain kinds of seeds in a community pot.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

LOL! PG5, How are you? Fancy seeing you here ;)

I thought that first one looked like Mr. Clean more than I -- sort of has his hairy knuckles!

This one is a Morning Glory that Ronnie fromPA (Luvsgrtdanes - or close) told me how to grow -- from seed -- inside the house? HOW COOL IS THIS?

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

And I figured if you could do it with Morning Glories, why not Sweet Peas? Here are some Sweet Peas, and I've pinched them, but they aren't quite as happy....I also think I could have sown a whole pack in that pot.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

I have pots and pots of babies, just seedling leaves, so they don't have much personality yet and they all look like little old men ;) but here is one I think is a Mimulus, spotted white. I thought might make an okay houseplant because it has low light level needs. It actually is from a germination test I made of 5 seeds. They were a sealed commercial pack given to me in a trade a little too easily, so I figured they had to be old. LOL!

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Okay, one more LOL!

These are primula something or others. The name is down in the tag. The tags are made from yogurt cups written on with sharpie or paint pen. When these seedlings are pricked out into cell packs, I will actually make a tag for each and every plant. It takes just a second to cut the yogurt cups into very thin strips and scratch the name on them. Each strip will follow the plant for the rest of its life, but is planted down in the ground with the plant - not above ground. It is always in the front and to the left of the plant about an in ch or two deep, so I do know where to dig for it should the need arise.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Suzy, your babies look wonderful! Good job!

Thornton, IL

Hi Neal! Suzy knows I'm j/k, good job, you're a great plant mommie!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

For the first time, I am trying hibiscus coccinea texas star(plenty extra), white star, and fantaisia( most damped off), and would love to trade some of my many red texas star, for other hibiscus , if anyone is interested. I am surprised how easy they grow from seed.

The day will come, when I have a GH.Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi, all. this is fun...seeing all the little plants. I'm doing a lot of wintersowing, but there's no instant satisfaction, so I sowed some seeds inside, too.

here's some mixed ornamental cacti I'm trying for house plants. I've also w/s'd some hardy ones.

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

these are desert rose (Adenium obesum), from some old seeds (2 out of 5 germinated in a few days)

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

here is love-lies-bleeding ...more than I will ever need

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

some mixed Hens 'n chicks (sempervivum)

I also have growing

Baby Toes (Frithia pulchra)
Living stones (Lithops)

sown but not yet germinated

dwarf orange
dwarf poinciana