But I really like clutter.....

(Zone 1)

I have this plant also, has done real well for me for about 3 years! It's called Satin Pothos and here's the link for Plant Files info:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54390/index.html

(Zone 1)

Duh .... I'm having a Blonde Moment here. Mine is not the same ... Philo Silver is an entirely different plant! Here's the PF link:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/107285/index.html

(Zone 1)

Sure wish our Home Depot or Lowes carried nice plants like that. Wow! And marked down to $5.00! Oh how I wish I could make a trip to a Tennessee Home Depot! :) I never find any nice Philo's down here in Florida, at least not in my city!

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I have this plant as well, mine is growing, very slowly albeit but growing... It seems to be easy enough for me to grow...i think all the philos are easy to grow.

Very nice looking plant Judy, can't wait for mine to get that big :o)

Char

(Zone 1)

Maybe when the weather warms up, someone would like to make a trade of cuttings?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

plantladylin

I checked the link you posted and it's the same plant

Judy

(Zone 1)

So, is it the Satin Pothos, or is it the Philodendron Silver that you have? They are two different plants. And, the more I look at your photo, it does look like the Satin Pothos. Here's a photo of my Pothos:

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

Here's a closeup of the leaves:

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

I think the Philo 'Silver' has larger leaves and they seem to be a shiny green, whereas the Pothos has kinda gray/green leaves, duller than the Philo.

(Zone 1)

Looks like you are right ... I did a google search for Philodendron Silver and just came up with some Philo called Silver Streak and I think I saw one someone called Silver Cloud, and they are entirely different plants, leaves looked nothing like the Satin Pothos.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

lol lol They all confuse me because people don't know what they truly have, therefore they post pictures on the plant files that are incorrect, post pictures elsewhere so the Google Image Search picks them up but they are wrong, etc. Some are also like the Brugmansia and have different "shapes" (as they emerge, go to full bloom, then start to wither) in so many cases the youngre leaves of the philos are so different from the mature leaves.

This is what I got when I Googled : Philodendron Silver

http://images.google.com/images?q=Philodendron+Silver&gbv=2&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&rls=GGIC,GGIC:2007-01,GGIC:en&filter=0

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Yesterday we made a run into Tupelo, MS for dog food and while there I had to spent a few minutes at Home Depot, Lowe's & Wal-Mart looking at house plants ... and yes I bought one hanging basket at Lowe's, a Kangaroo Paw Fern. I hadn't seen one before and was sure I would never see one as big as this one again for $15!!! Once home I checked eBay and found what appeared to be a much smaller one with a "buy now price" of $29.99, plus shipping and one in a 4" pot for $9.99, Buy Now Price plus shipping.

So now it's really getting cluttered up, but I've got a plan to move things all around to allow more plant room. lol lol

Live, love, laugh and be happy. - Judy

This message was edited Feb 19, 2007 2:41 PM

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Amaryllis also blooming......

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Judy,
Love the new fern!!! My Lowe's usually has just standard things - same at HD and WM, but I see everybody's new "find" and off I go to look :-) Hope springs eternal ... LOL Congratulations!
Sharon

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Sharon,

This is the only one that had in stock, keep looking and you'll get lucky. I use to drop in on Mondays and ask when they were expecting their next delivery of "whatever I wanted" and you could bet I was there on delivery day.

Judy

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Judy- what is the name of your amaryllis? It's a beauty....

How funny that a google of Philo Silver turned up all those different species and varieties! I think Giancarlo's pic may be the real thing? Satin Pothos used to be known as the silver philo, but was later reclassified as Scindapsus Pictus..... Nevertheless, it's a beautiful plant. I have one that is struggling, always has been, as a matter of fact. Not the easiest of plants to grow and certainly not as easy as it's counter parts, Marble Queen and Golden.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Ahh - I had missed seeing the photos of your plant infested home!
Truly - Could there be anything more welcoming that a house full of living things? I bet people just smile when they walk into your house. It is beautiful, warm & serene.
I am glad to see you are still feeding your addictions - Would you have it any other way?
Julie :)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Julie,

You are such a nice person.

I made decision earlier in the year to go back to the plants I love, which get along well in my environment, viney plants in the house, old iris in the yard with summer pots full of herbs, ferms and pepper plants. I got all involved with Brugs for a while and felt so wonderful when they bloomed, BUTTTTTTT they are too much trouble for my zone 7B and the strife within the brug community puts me off. Life is too short to be fighting insects and harsh feelings all the time. lol

I thank you for taking the time to post on this thread.

Judy

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I still gaze at the photos of the Brugmansia TREES that the folks in warmer climates grow... Just gorgeous! But my Brug collection remains small - so much energy to produce a blossom - at least for us cooler climate gardeners. I still have a couple, sleeping in my cellar for the Winter. I have been planting in the pot bases - flowers or herbs, to keep the interest while the Brugs try to flower. It is hard work, isn't it?
Honestly - Your home is beautiful. I get such a kick out of seeing the pictures - there are plants in every nook & cranny! Just so full of life & beauty - Would you have it any other way?
:)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Hey J, I live in a colder area than you and I still keep going with the brugs! I luv the colors and that I can finally get them to bloom. I feed the you know what out of them...lol. I was able to finally find a place that sold bags of the alfafla pellets and maybe with that to and the hot summer we had last year, I did get way more blooms than the other year. I even was able to bring in some of the brugs with pods on them and get them to open up in the basement.

:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

PerennialGirl
I'm so proud for you. I look forward to amiring your brugs this summer and the hard work that went into growing them!!!

JRush
Limiting the number of brugs was definitely a problem for me!! I had absolutely too many last summer. lol lol

I hope your week starts off well and stays that way.

Judy

This message was edited Feb 26, 2007 8:48 AM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Judy. It's a big accomplishment for me....lol. You should know that if you had too many brugs that you could have passed them on to me.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

It is sooooo much fun in trading.....I am having a blast with about 7 people on line.....too good to be true.....what is familiar in one area can't even be found in another area.....shipping out 2 colors of Esperanza in the am and getting goodies in return...Then I need to be shipping out a beauty of an AV in the morning, too....

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

bettgail - I would estimate that 80% of my plants in my gardens came from plant & seed trading here at DG. Plants that I would not have considered growing - or ones that could not be found locally in stores - or just plain new to me. In the process, I have been introduced to some of the finest growing things - & people -
on this earth :)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I just potted up 4 hanging baskets of the Horsehead Philodendron, bought 2 about to die Orchids and a Masked Philodendron. I'm trying to fill up the porches again but meanwhile it is getting crowded in the house, especially since I have 26 Asiatic Lilies in 10 pots, 4 rose bushes potted up, cladiums that need potting plus raspberry, blackberry and grape bareroots that need to go into the ground ASAP. Our last frost date has been 3/15 for the last 4 years so I will, hopefully, be able to move them out of the house soon.

Just this afternoon, I decided I had lost my mind .... too many plants. lol lol

Judy

PS It's forecasted to be in the high 20's both Saturday & Sunday. Lord Have Mercy!!

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Judy, Isn't it funny how our house is over run with plants and etc...but we always buy more and do more and more swaps cause there is just something that we have to have. I keep moving all my plants closer to the front door so that when it is time to put them on the porch i can do it very easily. I did move a couple of my bigger plants out there already, it was almost 70 here the other day and the nights gets down to the low 40's, so i am hoping it wont hurt them. I look around at all my plants and just think how much money and time i got invested in them. You know just this morning, my dh was doing something to the tv and i say....ohhhh my lord...he said "what" as if he thought something was wrong, and i said oh nothing sweetie i just got some new babies coming up on some plants..he said OMG and here i thought something was wrong...i said you know how much time and effort i put into these babies that when i see a new sprout or something, i get excited. He said.."i know dear, i know"

Char

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Char,

How funny!! What are you "into"?

Judy

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

And we go to such great lengths for our obsession!
We change out homes (Now our plants are "decor")
The neighbors think we are crazy (Who else is up watering at 5AM, & gardening after dark wearing a headlamp?)
We shriek when we discover new babies (Just another false alarm, honey!)
We slam on the brakes for a garden center sale sign (cries from the back seat, "Oh no - another plant store!")
We eagerly accept manure from any animal (Wow! Chicken doots!)
We lose sleep worrying over that one sickly plant (DG after midnight to research the "whys" & "hows")
And we always find room for "JUST ONE MORE PLANT."
I am sure there are many more...
But, I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

JRush,

Oh how your words hit home!!! It's a wonderful posting! I just need to learn to stay at home, out in the country, so I won't be tempted. I'm often tempted to buy via Internet, but I can talk myself out of that easier than when I actually see the plant. lol lol

Judy

PS I must confess I'm a "seed addict". I've been to the County Farmer's Co-Op so much lately that they call me by name which is a sure sign you are over the edge.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

eflowergarden has their new plants out for the season too :)
And that is my LAST one for this year. I swear it. Really.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Now you know I have to go "LOOK". What did you get?

Judy

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Lessee - I got the black Glads, & five new Hosta varieties. I really like the yellow colored Hostas - They add so much color!
I bought: Lady Guinevere, Liberty, Remember Me, Christmas Tree & Rainforest Sunrise.
When I first heard of eflowergarden, I questioned the size of the plants - considering the prices were so low. But the plants/bulbs are big & healthy. I order my Daffodils from them in the Autumn too.
I cannot wait to see them :)

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Judy, I will enclose a pic of the plant i was talking about....it is a STROMANTHE "TRIOSTAR" I love it..the pink colors in it mixed with the green is just breath taken. You can see the new leaves opening.

I have all the normal houseplants, nothing outta of the norm...philo's maybe 5 different kind, spiders a couple different kind, african violets, creeping charlie which i love....I can't seem to think of all of my plants, like my mind went blank.

Char

Thumbnail by red_princess_71
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I have an excuse, honest I have .... this old lady has been some kind of sick since Sept getting to the point that she didn't care if she went to the other side if living was going to continue to be so painful. I had only been out of the house 5 times and 2 of those were giving away plants that I knew I could not care for. From September to the middle of February I really felt bad, 3 doctors but no improvement so I decided to take matters into my own hands, I researched the internet and then decided to take medicine not prescribed for me and it worked. The spring is back in my step and I'm getting so very much better. Today we had to make a business trip to Memphis and I hit all the big box stores!! My Dear Sweet BigDaddy99 kept saying is there anywhere else you want to go and if I even looked at a plant hard, he put it in the cart, I let him. I have a car full of house plants. I'll take inventory and pictures in the morning, meanwhile wish me well!!!

Judy

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

What did you end up taking for medication - what worked?
In today's world, you have to take 1/2 of the responsibility for your owqn health. Listen to your doctor, then research everything you can. There is truth to be found that will fill in the blanks. I am glad that you took the initiative to do so - you took charge because you had to. Gutsy gal, you are!
Char - that is a pretty plant - Did you ever go to variegatedfoliage.com? I never knew there were so many beautiful variegated plants out there!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

The first one....

Philodendron Rojo Congo

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great buy, Judy. It's huge!!!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

I am glad to find someone else who lets the plants have all the room. I have attached a picture of my office window. My boss is already complaining that I have a jungle in my office. My apartment is worse. It takes about an hour, 3 times a week, to just check to see who needs water or not.
Since I just bought a couple of new large plants stands... I guess I have no choice but to fill them up with more plants. Wouldn't want the table to go to waste :) Thank goodness its getting warmer. I need a plant fix.

Thumbnail by IndoorGardner
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

If your boss was serious, just move one or two small ones into their office, soon they will fall in love. lol lol

Judy

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Love that Philo Judy. I have never seen it before. A must have PHilo for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.