February's Daily Weather, Anxious for Spring!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sugar, I didn't know, but am so happy you are making a wonderful change for yourself! Enjoy your sorting!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Spring??? What's SPRING?

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Sidney - sorry you had to take such a loss. Means you won't be able to do what you had planned. But at least it's off your mind now. Not much consolation I guess. Is the housing market gone in Florida?

We are going to 53* for a high today... I'll take it. hurrah.
I guess that means we can hope for spring soon. LOL

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Your right Joey it is Global.....weather (and the jet stream) keeps circulating the earth. Chances are there won't be any change in emissions from refineries but the Governor of California has the right idea re: lessening the emissions on new vehicles that are sold there. Hopefully, with the IPCC changes report our auto manufacturers will be forced to make those changes. Every bit helps. http://news.com.com/Coming+soon+Cars+that+get+100+miles+per+gallon/2100-11389_3-6064584.html

3 °F / -16 °C
windchill is ugly and I'm tired of looking at the humidity (and depressing reports).

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Ric, does your BIL live in Sunlad or Tujunga?

***lessening the emissions on new vehicles that are sold there***

Yay! Finally someone who will do something about all those gas-hog SUVs.

Lilypon, you can send me any humidity that you don't want.

Updated: 12:51 PM PST on February 04, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
83 °F / 28 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 6%
Dew Point: 9 °F / -13 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the WNW

Thumbnail by Kelli
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOLOLOLOLOL yep I would say you do need it Kelli. I just dread the thought of summer with it (we used to be like your location....re lack of humidity).

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Here's a place where you can study the Jet Stream (and animate it if you wish): http://squall.sfsu.edu/scripts/nhemjetstream_model.html

I'm going to go finish my dishes now and congratulate myself on one mess I can clean up. ;)

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Lots to catch up on! Baxter is taking in food and water (forced), but doing better. He lost 3lbs in a short period of time. Lots of time and attention are aimed in his direction right now. Poor baby.

The cedar waxwings came back today and completely covered my car in bird poop and berries…thank you to the cedar waxwings! (they are still cute!)

Ric – I hope you plants are doing well, especially the Mimosa. That’s an amazing picture of the ice.

Deb – thank you for the well wishes for Bax. We won’t be as cold as last week. Freeze warning tomorrow night…kind of a wait and see deal for the rest of the week.

Pam – High –20 LOL! What a high!!

Billy – that’s what we did! DH is by no means retired, but he bought a laptop (competition for DG was too much) and he got wi-fi. DS has a computer set on wi-fi as well. Keeps the peace and works for us!

Darius – hope you’re staying warm. How are you doing? LOL – What’s Spring?!!!! Hang on - It’s coming!!

Kelli – beautiful pic of aloes at the arboretum. I’ll send you all the humidity I can’t stand in about 2 months!! Great pictures!

Sidney – you’ve been busy! You should post pics when you’re finished. Jeff and I really enjoyed meeting you Thursday night. I had so much fun playing in the plants! It’s a shame you had to sell at a loss. BUT, what a way to put that money to work!!

Kiska – your picture is like a fairy tale – so beautiful!

Mornin_gayle – that’s a brutal wind chill!
We’ll have our woolies out again tomorrow night!

FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING
Includes the Counties: Nassau, Duval, Clay
Includes the cities: Fernandina Beach, Jacksonville, Green Cove Springs

Tonight...Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 30s inland...In the lower 40s coast. Variable winds 5 mph becoming northwest 5 to 10 mph after midnight.

Clouds coming home tonight

Thumbnail by MySharona
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

The house I sold was in Charlotte, NC. The city fathers decided to make DM's great little middle class neighborhood, "Little Mexico". Several of the 1500 sq. ft. homes are now occupied by as many as 15 people. They are in high demand by the contractors there for their expierienced, low cost labor. Most Drive brand new pick-up trucks, sometimes 6 or 7 to one dwelling and the school Dayne went to 30 years ago doubled it's size to offer a full schedule of classes taught as English as a second language.
I will survive and sure won't look back. Thank God and greyhound that house is gone.
Sidney

Sidney - Amen

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

This just depresses me:

"... Another shot of cold air across the area tonight and Monday
night...
... Wind chills 20s tonight and teens to 20s Monday night...

A cold front will push through southeast South Carolina and
southeast Georgia tonight... .and strong Canadian high pressure will
push another round of unseasonably cold weather into the region.
This cold airmass will persist through Monday night.
"

Sigh. Trying to be patient. I just don't do "cold" well. :)
Deb

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Lilypon, I've spent a fair portion of the day watching climate programs on the weather channel, not a truly pleasant pastime. They make it very clear that any ONE weather happening does not indicate climate change.

and then during the break they show the Russian fishing familys being rescued from ice that suddenly broke into floes and started out to sea. I think they said they had to rescue 400 people. Now that's a lot of folk and family out there fishing thru holes in the ice.

As to the stuff in the air making it around the world and back again... that's not really new news - it's been well documented for many things that float in the air. from volcanic ash to radiation - big particles and small they circle the globe and get stirred from one latitude to another. The air above is like bread dough just a rising and mixing together.

Why is this "unseasonably cold" weather. If now is not the season for cold when is??

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Well, it's 1º here right now with a -12º wind chill. We got lucky Saturday evening and last night. The wind was out of the SW and the lake effect snow stayed close to the lakeshore and blew into Western NY. They were hit hard, but we had clear skies. It's a different story tonight as the winds have shifted and the snow is piling up here now. The extended forecast calls for highs in the single digits and teens for the next week. Winter is making up for lost time.

Ric........beautiful frost photo. I drove by one of the local Amish farms late this afternoon and every window in the house was almost solid white with frost. It must be icy cold in there.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Blooms with me it is the fact that the high humidity is sticking around. For an area that is historically dry as dust we've had awful high humidex
readings (for a number of years now...esp from 1998 onwards). Which suggests a higher concentration of greenhouse gases above the prairie provinces....actually Canada wide now (trapping the humidity). Historically in Canada it was just the coastal locations and around the St. Lawrence/Great Lakes (and Manitoba with Hudson Bay and Lake Winnipeg) that would report it (but Manitoba too is getting much higher readings now and it's year round ... not just in the hotter summer months).

The weather happening right now is El Nino and that certainly effects this years winter. But what about last winter? It was supposedly a weak La Nina but temperatures up here were around 32 F for most of it (2 weeks of -20F and about 4 days of -52F....with windchill). Weezingreens (Alaska) and Evert (Finland) posted, in threads here, the changes further up north years ago. It isn't just one winter it's been going on for many and the effects of it are greater up north. Inuvik, NWT posted warmer temperatures (Weathernetwork.ca) than my location many times last year and it is right on the arctic coast).

The problem with the jet stream is greenhouse pollution is on the rise and there is going to be a doubling of the pollution within a very short time (re the link I posted above from the U.S. Dept of Energy).

This message was edited Feb 4, 2007 10:29 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I've also read that sun flares could be increasing the temperatures.....tho most scientists, re IPCC report http://www.ipcc.ch/ , believe it is man causing it and the greenhouse effect is exasperating it.

Photo.....from the United States Dept of Energy. re each country's past contributions to greenhouse gases and their expected future increases (as of course our populations will also increase)

This message was edited Feb 4, 2007 10:16 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Here's a link to the Government of Canada's Department of Natural Resources (released in 1998) : http://www.adaptation.nrcan.gc.ca/posters/index_e.php Off to the side are links detailing the expected changes in every province in Canada (many of which are happening now).

The Library I work at received a poster way back then and it was posted. It stayed up a year and then was taken down and I forgot all about it till the discussions started here. Staff tried tracking in down, without success, so I searched the internet and found the above site where I ordered copies to be laminated for our collection again.

BTW I should mention MJPL library doesn't even have a copy of Al Gore's movie/book tho it is on order since so many patrons have heard about it and have put in an ordering suggestions for it.

(Zone 5a)

Wow, I sure had a lot of catching up to do!

Good morning everyone! Winter has made a comeback here as I see it has for many of you as well. Not quite so cold here though, it's 26°F at the moment, fair skies and fairly calm - a beautiful day ! :-)

We had the most beautiful "logndrífa" yesterday so the ground is covered with snow and the trees were as well yesterday. Now most of it has been blown off.

My DB is on a plane now to Sweden where he's moving to for the next few years. It's his 30th birthday today as well - so he has a lot of changes in his life at the moment. We will miss him ... but I guess it'll give us a great reason to travel to Sweden in the future :-)

Here's a photo of my front yard from yesterday morning - it was still snowing when I took the photo.

Thumbnail by rannveig
Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm coming out from the blankets just long enough to post this. My furnace can't keep up with this nasty cold spell. I have 2 electric heaters plugged in trying to keep it above 55* in here. Everyone is sleeping in the living room, lol. Kids' schools have a 2 hour delay. Oh joy. Both my kids walk to school, but will be chauffeured today, lol.

Could be worse, some town in MN has a wind chill of -45*.

mg

Thumbnail by mornin_gayle
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

mg YOUR temps make it feel balmy here!

0° (Wind Chill -13°)
The GH's are keeping up w/ the cold.
The single layer of plastic Hoop House is 39°, The Porch House 56° and the Plant Room 58°.
Today's High is supposed to be 14° here but Sunny so they should heat up nicely.
Last night was supposed to be the lowest temp we'll see this week.

Dare I say the long range forecast shows 46° for next Tues............................

Ric

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

For someone writing a report on Climate Change there's lots here:

Here's Environment Canada's information re Climate Change: http://www.msc-smc.ec.gc.ca/education/scienceofclimatechange/publications/reports_papers/index_e.html

Subjects covered in the above link :
Tampering with the Earth's Thermostat
This brochure provides an overview of the basic science of the natural and enhanced greenhouse effect.

An Introduction to Climate Change - A Canadian Perspective
This report is an introduction to the science of climate change summarizing our understanding of the issue and the Canadian response. The report also examines the many possible impacts that a warmer climate will have on Canada and the World.

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions CCD
This report addresses some of the questions often posed by the public or arguments raised by skeptics about the science of climate change. Responses and explanations are based on fundamental, well-accepted principles of physics, or on related information from IPCC reports and in recent peer-reviewed scientific papers.

Projections for Canada's Climate Future. CCD 00-0
This special report provides a summary of recent results from climate change experiments undertaken with the first version of the Canadian coupled climate model. It also describes how these results were achieved and discusses their credibility and limitations.

Extreme Weather and Climate Change. CCD 98-0
This CCD report examines whether or not there is any scientific basis for the popular perception that extreme weather events and related disasters are becoming more extreme and/or frequent, and considers what the science community can and cannot say about future risks of such events in a warmer world.

Climate Change: Supporting Action through Science (brochure)
The Meteorological Service of Canada (MSC) is at the forefront of climate change science, having brought together experts to focus on climate data and analysis, processes and modelling, and impacts and adaptation research. Some 100 MSC experts, along with their partners across the country, provide Canadians and their governments with up-to-date scientific information and advice on climate change.

Climate Change Action Fund: Science Fact Sheets

* Arctic
* Climate Modelling
* Climate Monitoring

(Zone 3b)

8am, hint of dim, 6*F, clear and starry skies. Sunrise 9:09; Sets 5:12pm, Gain of 5m 37sec. The cold has finally returned after a few days of pre-break-up.
Rann, love seeing the fresh snowfall and "seeing" you again.
mornin_gayle - keep warm - 55* indoors is not pleasant.
Ric - glad you're able to keep up with the cold; 39*is pretty close to danger :)
e_b, very pretty photo of the ice-encased plant.
Frost on the stove top.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Kiska, hope that stove top is on the chiminera outside. Not the one you're using to keep warm.

Lilypon, looks like Canada has a better start on figuring what to do with the changes that are a-coming. At least they are talking about it. I spend a part of my computor time on looking at other nations sites - for the reports of floods and droughts and fires that never make it to our headline-news. It's amazing how many countries expect to have lower than normal harvests.

Here today:
Lo 24*
Hi 52*
now - 42*
Humidity 41%
Dewpoint 19*

Sunshine outside, housework inside. Hmmmm.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That was 39 w/ only one element or 750 watts on and at 12" above floor level.
Actually in the mid 40's at 3' or so. Plenty of cushion.... lol
It's 64 out there now and 78 on the front porch..... 13 outside.... 106 in the Hot Tub but 16 in the Enclosure.....

Ric

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Blooms from what I gather the United States Government has the info out there but it just doesn't seem to be in your news that much (here we are periodically bombarded with it).

Here's one site I found: http://www.usgcrp.gov/usgcrp/education/default.htm United States Global Change Research Program

within it there is this link
Forces of Change is a new program about the dynamics of global change at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History. Includes:

* Listening to the Prairie. (you're right the prairies are in trouble everywhere.......I tend to look at my location because I've been exposed to more information about it and I can personally see/feel the differences)

At the bottom of the above link they also direct people to look at the Government sites of UK, Canada (the ones I posted above), and Germany.

Since I work in a library I direct people to Government sites and articles that are peer reviewed (which the Government sites usually refer to as well).

This message was edited Feb 5, 2007 2:20 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Observed at: Muscatine, Iowa
Elevation: 548 ft / 167 m

9 °F / -13 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: -9 °F / -23 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the West
Pressure: 30.59 in / 1036 hPa
Windchill: -1 °F / -18 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft / 2743 m

A lot of heavy reading today and nice pictures. Even tho we all want spring, the snow pictures are still pretty.

MG, we are so close and have such different weather. It only got to -6* again instead of the -14*. We also just have a wind chill advisory instead of warning. It's cold, but could be worse. You stay warm!!!!!

Lilypon, wow, I think you are feeling the effects of global warming worse than we are. Last year, for the first time in a long time, we had enough rain without a long wait in between. I had bought a small sprinkler for my roses and daylilies and never used it. It ended up buried, in dare I admit, weeds. We haven't had -20* weather since the mid 80's when my daughter could still walk to school in our own town. We haven't had much snow in time for x-mas for many years, or much snow cover at all. Maybe I'm begining to be an old timer who notices now. I do notice that some days there wouldn't be any clouds if there weren't any jets, and a lot more farmers are irrigating whether they really need to or not. GRRRR! I drink ground water too.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Heavy Snow Warning
(Expires: Wednesday February 7 1:00AM EST)

...heavy snow warning remains in effect from 1 pm tuesday to 1 am
est wednesday...

a clipper system will bring snow to the area late tuesday morning
into the evening. with the arctic air in place across the
region...it is likely that 3 to 5 inches of snow will fall during
this time.

remember...a heavy snow warning means severe winter weather
conditions are imminent or highly likely.

Well at least it should be Pretty!

Ric

Ric, I think it's supposed to come on down our way after OH... on Wednesday.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Meanwhile, Kelli hogs all the nice weather. ;-)

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on February 05, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
84 °F / 29 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 12%
Dew Point: 25 °F / -4 °C
Wind: Calm

Dutch iris - the white ones alway bloom long before the others.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Oh I love Dutch Iris! Don't know if I brought any with me when I moved.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Joey *I think* an analogy of a bathtub would work here. Years ago it was the far north where the greatest concentration of greenhouse gases were. Now the bathtub has had more added to it (and the gases can't escape) so they keep dropping southward as more time goes by. Here the sky is clear looking. My location (province) has a low human population so we don't have a lot of the noticeable pollutants to get trapped underneath (the ugly yellow smog I've seen in pictures)........unlike large metro eastern cities (and coastal cities where the mountains are).What I do see here is drought conditions (natural cycle) and I feel the humidity (not normal). The biggest problem in the prairies is what the University professors from Alberta said......

Quoting:
Climate warming is causing increased evaporation.
http://www.publichealth.ualberta.ca/news.cfm?story=46767
.......thus the higher humidity that I feel (and of course everyone else in the upper northern hemisphere).

The prairies, Canada and the United States, can't afford to lose more moisture to the atmosphere esp when in a drought cycle. When crops in a certain country fail usually others could pick up the slack but if many are in trouble then it becomes a huge problem........esp in the future when the glaciers have disappeared (many are forecasted to be gone in 25 years) and the only fresh supply of water we will have in our rivers is just from spring melt. What's underground will have a pretty heavy withdrawals on it then.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2007 4:36 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh Kelli, those are absolutely beautiful! They are my absolute favorite flower. I can only grow a few varieties here as i have too much shade, but I get is as many as possible. Can you turn on some fans and blow some of your warm weather eastward??

I will not complain about our current cold, since it really can't compare to what I've been reading here today!
Rann: Thanks for the pretty snow pic.
Everyone keep warm!

Currently, not too bad at 47*. Wunderground says:
... Freezing temperatures in many areas overnight...
... A hard freeze at many inland locations overnight...

Strong Canadian high pressure will continue to build over southeast
South Carolina and southeast Georgia tonight... producing an
unseasonably cold night across the region.

Deb

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hey everybody, take a look at Rann's photo in post 3158864 above (from this morning) and then go over and look at this photo of her garden in summer. (Posting by the link to the post number...hope it works. If not, it's post #3129326)
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3129326

I came across your summer photo Rann and the contrast is great! (Beautiful garden, btw.)

Deb

This message was edited Feb 5, 2007 7:50 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's a little color to brighten your day.
It's our Winter mass bloom of Hippeastrum puniceum. Barbados Lily or Wild Amaryllis.
They will continue sporadically blooming thru Fall.
They hang out in our Plantroom.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Gorgeous Ric......btw to go with your next weeks temps DH misty saw rain falling at Rush Lake, SK (now for the kicker it was -11 degrees Celcius)
Understandable seeing rain if one was in Maple Creek, SK (+3 °C there) or Cypress Hill, SK (+1 °C) there but Rush Lake was on the cold side of the jet stream.

I haven't converted but 0 °C is +32 °F.......-11 °C is well below freezing?!?!? BTW DH doesn't kid about things like the above.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

How bright there Ric.
Here it's 48.6 °F / 9.2 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 17 °F / -8 °C
Wind: 3.6 mph / 5 km/h
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
Tues.; 59° F | 33° F, Just barely doging the ole freeze mark.
Sidney

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Here's a colourful picture of the effects of the jet stream up here. The temps in Alberta and the Mountains today (above 32 F) weren't that much cooler than Sidney's temps. Tomorrow it's supposed to head more westerly and more normal *actual* winter temperatures will finally move into western Canada (for at least a week)..

This message was edited Feb 5, 2007 9:00 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon

So much to catch up on. Still babysitting Baxter. Follow up vet appt on Friday.
Ric - Your amaryllis is beautiful.
We dodged the freeze as well by 1 measly degree.
40.5 °F / 4.7 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 17 °F / -8 °C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the NNW
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10.1 km/h
Pressure: 30.39 in / 1029.0 hPa
Windchill: 38 °F / 3 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

I haven't ps'd this picture - the clouds really looked like this.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Dewpoint: -2° Wind: Calm
Humidity: 87% Pressure: 30.49 in Hg

snow will develop late this morning and early this afternoon andthen continue into this evening as a low pressure system moves through the ohio valley.
1 to 3 inches of snow will be possible by late this afternoon with storm total accumulations of 4 to 6
inches expected by the end of this evening.

Should be a fun ride Home!

Ric

And we're getting colder!

39.9 °F / 4 °C
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 37 °F / 3 °C

(Zone 3b)

8am; very dim but not for too much longer. 20*F, clear and normal.
henryr10; do you have snow/winter tires? What do you, in that part of the country, do to get ready for winter? Drive carefully but hope you can enjoy the snowfall.
MySharona- love the photo of struggling sunlight...hope it's not going to be much colder for you.
Moose in the morning 2 days ago.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.