February's Daily Weather, Anxious for Spring!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

10:30 and I'm just getting started on my day. oh woe.
Sun shining predicted 56*F high. Low was in the 20s and it still feels like winter.
I've got company coming over this afternoon so must get picking up a little - just enough so she can find a chair. And you think I'm joking. LOL

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper23 says Hi, and she misses chatting. She's caught up on the Equine threads right now.

Deb, giggling over the 47*. I understand. When I married in the 70's, we moved into a trailor with very little insulation. I lived in thermals, socks with footsies over them AND slippers, long sleeves and a sweater for many many years. The only good thing about menopause is you do heat up in the winter. :))

Ric, the wild amaryllis are lovely. I like their upswept bloom.

Lilypon, rain and freezing. That's unusual! (I believe DH!)

Sugar, you sure have low humidity. That's what we have in the house because of the furnaces running all the time.

Lilypon, the Alberta Clipper is clipping us today.

Sharon, I love that sky! One thing I don't have is an open sky. I'm grateful for the trees tho!

Ric, we woke to snow at 6:30 am. It was tiny but thick. It's still snowing, but we only have a couple of inches so far and will likely get 3'' It's up to 8*!!

Kiska, love uphill moose! He looks like a mastadon!

Blooms, ROTFL!!! I love the way they drew him! So you clean off a chair, make a path to the kitchen and bathroom and it will be fine :))

I'll come back and see Rann's link. The computer has lost lengthy answers three times this week. I hardly dare to enlarge pictures.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Rann, your flowers are gorgeous! I was not expecting that much green grass and blooms!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

One more link for those that are interested in climate change/global warming: http://www.davidsuzuki.org/

DAVID SUZUKI

A world-renowned geneticist, academic and broadcaster, Dr. David Suzuki has spent the past 40 years educating the public about environmental issues, both in the classroom and over the airwaves.

As the long-running host of CBC's The Nature of Things and the author of more than 30 books, Suzuki has been called a 'gladiatorial geneticist' who mixes education with entertainment to get his ideas across to the public. Never one to step down from a fight, the passionate and often controversial Suzuki has earned a well-deserved reputation as an environmental guru for two generations of Canadians. http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/top_ten/nominee/suzuki-david.html

I would say it was David that originally brought (mid 1970's) the changes in our environment to Canadian's attention and it was in the mid 80's that he started ringing louder warning bells.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2007 3:32 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

18° (Wind Chill 10°)
Winds: SE 5 MPH

Well they called it correctly.
The snow started at 11:55 and is now pouring down.
3" on the ground so far....... and we're being 'Freight Trained'.
The band is settled on top of us and we're the rails....... lol
The forecast is 4-7" we'll do that easily.

The Highway home at 3 PM had two lanes opened and one totally snow covered (the slow lane! lol)
It really wasn't that bad as long as you were on the main Highway.
After that solid ice..... w/ a snow covering.... if you're lucky.
Anyone East bound from here is in trouble...........

I should get some Great Shots tomorrow!
Ric

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

We got 4'' and it looks like it's done.

Late This Afternoon
Cloudy. Occasional light snow and flurries. Additional accumulation less than an inch. Wind chill readings 9 below to 1 above zero. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Scattered flurries in the evening. Low around 3 below. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill readings to 15 below.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

We had another cold night with lows in the area at -4 to -8 degrees and clear skies. Lots of sunshine today but the high here was only around 5 degrees. The big storm that hit Ric is making it's way across the Ohio Valley but it looks like it will pass to the south and not affect us much. Highs in the teens still expected until at least next Monday.

Beautiful photos everybody!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Wow Early, now that is beautiful!!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

It's been snowing here a couple of hours but the flakes are small. My grass is so tall that the yard doesn't look like snow, just the walks and road. Supposed to be a low of 24º (better than last night's 6º) and maybe 2-3" of snow.

Great photo, EB! Here's my creek before the snow started.

Thumbnail by darius
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Debi and Sally for your compliments :-) Me and the girls are feeling a bit like the guy in Blooms cartoon now - really longing for those long summer days with the green, green grass ;-) We are gaining daylight now in leaps and bounds it seems - it's getting fairly light out around 9:30 and still completely dark at 6 pm so the worst is definately behind us now :-)

Sharon - hope Baxter will be feeling better soon - poor boy :-(.

Wow - many of you are getting some seriously cold temps ...... I can't complain about our -4°C (25°F).
It was another beautiful day here today, cold and clear blue skies and not too much wind.

I took the girls out on a walk on Sunday in the perfect weather we had then. After it stopped snowing that perfectly beautiful snow - the sun came out and it was just the best day this winter. So we went for a walk in the "woods" - a forest growing area just outside of town called Heiðmörk. Took a bunch of photo so I'm sure I'll be posting a few ;-)
Here's the first one: A lake close by called Vífilsstaðavatn.

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

This is in Heiðmörk - the trees on the left side are the planted "forest" on the right is the more natural landscape ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Currently 10 degrees and wind has died down to ab. 5 mph. We have so little snow it is ridiculous - I feel like we are living on the Russian steppes. Brutal wind and cold and no plant insulation.

Snow coming in from Ohio tomorrow is supposed to go south of our area. We shall see....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It's done here.
Slid East and South so I'd doubt PA will see much if any of it.
Temps have been holding near 18 for most of the day.
The low is supposed to be 12 warmer than last night's 1 for sure!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Wow rannveig, it does look like the perfect day! Great photos! Everything looks so crisp and fresh.

se_eds.........we do have plenty of snow here to protect the plants. It has been very windy though.

Ric.........That flamingo has to be wondering if it woke up in the middle of a bad dream.

CircleBack

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

LOL Henry, I bet that Flamingo is longing for the summer to come back
E_B gorgeous picture

Darn,our winter came back yesterday. Got 5 inches of snow

Today cloudy
30 F
snowflurrys is expected
Janett

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Kiska – That moose is great – everything is so blue around him.
Blooms – you were warmer than us yesterday!
BP – open Word – type in responses and copy them into DG.

When finished typing responses - highlight the doc (control A)
press control C to copy
go to DG in this box
press control V to paste.

Otherwise I loose everything to the cybereater!
Pam – those are great sites and I particularly like the one on David Suzuki. I’ve heard of him before. I was wondering how you found all the sites (library)!
Ric – Glad you made it home ok. I look forward to seeing your snow pics. I love your flamingo flag – he is anxiously awaiting Spring!
E_B – that is a beautiful picture. All the pinks…
Darius – pretty picture of the creek. That creek runs around your house doesn’t it? How high does it get?
Rann – Baxter is not as weak and is eating and drinking water now, but still not well. But you can tell he’s bored and tired of feeling unwell. Such a beautiful day (there’s a lake in there?)!! Looking forward to more pictures.

Today
Mostly sunny. Highs around ***68***. West winds increasing to 10 to 15 mph. Morning wind chills 30 to 35.
41.7 °F / 5.4 °C
Clear
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 29 °F / -2 °C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the West
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8.7 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa
Windchill: 39 °F / 4 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -

The sun came out yesterday!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning - yet another beautiful sunny day here, it's currently 28 and still fairly calm. Just great although the girls have been complaining that they are fed up with the snow and want summer already! lol I still think it's pretty great - everything is so pretty when covered in snow.

Thanks EB and Sharon - we had a wonderful time and yes Sharon there is a lake there on the first photo ;-) Glad to here Baxter is slowly recovering.

Here's another one from our outing on Sunday: Happy girls in the woods :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Haven't seen such a gloriously blue sky in ages - sure does lift your spirits :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rannveig those are some Gorgeous shots!
That color just Pops!

Kiska it still looks a bit funny w/ a Moose in the backyard!
When I was younger and living in Dayton we did use Snow Tires.
Now that we are driving a front wheel drive and down here it's just all season radials on the back and Aquatreads and the front. They are killer in the rain and the deep tread works better, I think, than ST's.
In 20 years down here we have only once been unable to drive.
That was 14" of snow and NOTHING was moving.

Currently:
10° Dewpoint: 5° Wind: Calm

Here's this morning's sunrise through the side window.
I'd say 7-8" of snow.
I'll be hiking out for some snow shots in a bit.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ric: When it gets cold, just focus-on-the-flamingo! :-)
Sharon: Love today's sun pic.
Rann: You girls are adorable, as always. That looks like a fairy-tale forest. :)

We're supposed to have a high of 64* today! Hurrah! So I am also going to head out and get some pics if I can, since I have a day off. I'm babysitting my puppy who had his little "operation" yesterday. It doesn't seem to register with him that he has stitches. I'm supposed to keep him quiet and still. Ha! Like that's possible. .>

Low tonight, 38*, which is "exactly normal". Heading back down a few degrees below the next few days, so I'm going to get out there and enjoy the sunny 64~

(Zone 3b)

7:30am, dark 15*F, some stars between the clouds.
Rann - love your man-made forest - looks quite at home there and the girls really complete the photo beautifully.
Ric - sounds as if you've got the winter driving/tires pretty well figured out. We switch to summer tires in May and back to winter, in September..DH a few years ago bought an air compressor and with all the family using it for ease of change-over, it's been a great investment. Very pretty sunrise.
MySharona, 68* would be very nice about now; but not the wind. If I couldn't have mts' in our view, I'd happily take water - love the photo.
Janett_D, lots of fresh snow and more on the way-sounds just the way winter should be.
DebinSC; enjoy your walk and good luck keeping puppy quiet :)
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: That photo is how I picture Alaska. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics in summer. May I ask, are you a native Alaskan? Or did you move there from elsewhere? If you moved there, was it hard to adjust to the weather and the winter "dimness"?

Deb

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

MySharona when I first joined Dave's I had just started working on reference desk and had no training on the internet. The library system trains it staff how to search it and what sites to look for (since anybody can put anything on the internet), Peer Refereed Journals are the ones we look for (articles that have been studied by fellow scientists and the science/answers contained within is deemed correct). Being able to search library academic databases helps (as those that are peer reviewed are noted).

For journal articles, any of the following are acceptable as evidence of peer review:

* the journal is listed in one of the Institute for Scientific Information indexes
* the journal is classified as ‘refereed’ in Ulrich’s International Periodicals Directory (Volume 5 - Refereed Serials) or via Ulrich’s website
* the journal is included in the department’s Register of Refereed Journals (no longer maintained)
* there is a statement in the journal which shows that contributions are peer reviewed
* there is a statement or acknowledgement from the journal editor which shows that contributions are peer reviewed
* a copy of a reviewer’s assessment relating to the article.

Note: a statement from an author that a publication was peer reviewed is not acceptable. The existence of a national or international advisory board is also not sufficient evidence that all relevant publications were assessed by members of it.

Climate Change/Global warming is a fact how people deal with it is political. I wonder how those that work for the oil fields in Alberta deal with their children when the teachers start covering it in their classes (it's part of the curriculum here). Going by how upset one oil man was (in Swift Current) when he overheard people discussing global warming (and it's causes) I think the teachers must dread that time of year.

What I've been busy posting here has become part of my workplace discussion (it's given me lots of practice mining the Canadian Government databases and the bosses like that ;). They aren't going to shut the high polluters down and cars aren't going to be taken off the road so what are the solutions?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Howdy all, I'm juust dashing through.
64.0 °F / 17 °C
Clear
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 31 °F / -1 °C
Wind: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h from the WSW
Wind Gust: 13.2 mph / 21 km/h
Sidney

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Good Morning! We didn't get very much of the snow forecasted yesterday and today it just looks like a dusting with clear roads. Supposed to have highs in the low 30's for a week or so.

Sharon, I'm told that my creek can flood in the spring about 30 feet up towards the house as well as across the road (on the other side of the creek) because it's in a 100 year floodplain. That's about 10-12 feet deeper if it crosses the road, and shallower up on the lawn. This is my first year here so I have no experience. I doubt we will get that kind of flooding this spring as there's not much snowpack higher up the mountains (yet, anyway).

(Zone 3b)

DebinSC - We are not native to Alaska. The geography of Alaska is very different throughout the state. In our area, here in South Central, (Anchorage for reference), we have the trees and forests that come to mind.
We moved up, from California, in 1978. And, it was terrible for the first few months; we'd not had experience with winter/dark/and learning to drive under those conditions was difficult. We left behind family, so being thousands of miles away did not help...but, all that aside, Alaska's pull took hold and we're here to stay...All 9 of our grandchildren were born in Alaska.
Hi Sidney -
darius - hope you don't get the flooding, but that more snow/rain comes for next summer's ground water.
Sheet of icy snow on the deck rail.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Well Sharon, I don't think we'll be as warm as you today
Altho it is already up to 58* out there at noon
with a low of 29* - it is definitely feeling springlike
Especially if you stand in the sunshine. Our sunshine is still really warm on one's back.
With the humidity up to 41% I hafta assume the sun is sucking the snow melt up into the air, it won't be soaking into the soil. In fact, if you scrape aside the snow you find dry sand underneath.

Rann, the little picnic shelter on the edge of the lake looks so lonesome out there in all that huge wilderness. I love your woods pictures, your girls are so adorable. hope they got in some good sled rides. And I'm darned if I can find a link or a pic of your flowers. As a contrast to your yard in winter.

Everybody else - love the pictures showing winter as it should be... with white stuff protecting the plants. LOL I think if I walk up one of our shaded canyons I can find some icy stuff to photo. If I go out today at all, I'll keep that in mind. ~Blooms

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's a shot from the end of our street.
Look for the Hoop House that's our place.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Wow Ric, that's a big hoop house. And I take it they just don't bother to plow your street?

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone - bright, 45.0°

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Blooms: Below should be both of Rann's seasons. (If I did it right.)
Rann's garden in snow:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3158864
Rann's garden in summer:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3129326

Well the weather man erred in my favor! Got up to 75* and I loved it!

Got a few pics, too.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

44.4°(F) porch, (don't believe it!) 37.8°(F) under the house at the "water inlet point" (hither known as WIP).

Two days w/o water, five w/o internet or phone.

Missed you'se guys and gals.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dyson: I was trying to decide which would be worse, no water or no internet! LOL!
Glad you've rejoined us.
Deb

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Deb the answer is - no water - you can garden & bathe w/o internet.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yep. Pretty sure I'd have gone with that choice as well! Several years ago, after Hurricane Hugo, friend of mine who live in the country were without water for 2 weeks. They had to haul buckets of water up from the river nearby. I think I would've moved to a motel. :) (Bright side: at least they had the river.)

Deb

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Rivers are good. So are creeks.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Creeks are good. After the Northridge Earthquake, we didn't have water for a day or two so I used water from a creek near where I lived at the time to flush the toilet. I had bottled water for drinking.

Deb, I have those flowers, too. Mine aren't blooming yet.

Cloudy today.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on February 07, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
65 °F / 18 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 40 °F / 4 °C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the SE

Daffodils that came with the house.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kelli: Oooh! Daffodils coming soon here I hope! They're just so darn cheery, aren't they? The blooming starflowers surprised me today. It's been a bit cold the past couple of weeks and I wasn't expecting them yet. They must be as anxious for spring as I am!

Good weather you're havin' today. Nice 7mph wind! Maybe the clouds will bring you rain.

Deb

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Daffodils have always been one of my favorites. I think it is the unusual shape.

I think that darn wind thing is over. (Knock on wood.) There is a 40% chance of rain this weekend. We'll see what happens.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Currently 14 degrees, 9 mph winds dew point is -2 degrees. Forecast for tomorrow is 29 degrees - I can't believe it! We have had 2.6 inches of snow since winter began. :-(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.