Phil's shadow: will he or won't he?

There are a total of 443 votes:

I think he's going to see his shadow - winter's here for a bit longer!
(242 votes, 54%)
Red dot

I think he won't see it this year and spring can come early
(133 votes, 30%)
Red dot

It's not winter here!
(12 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Who's Phil?
(56 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

the bitter cold came late this year so it'll probably stay around til May with my luck

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I believe you are right cececoogan. We had such a mild winter in the beginning and it has now caught up to us. Since it took it's time getting here, it will take it's time leaving. Drat!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I voted for early spring .. wishful thinking probably.

X

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Last summer brought extraordinary rainfall to this desert area. This winter we experienced record snowfall, the highest levels in 50 years. Based on that, I'm not counting on an early Spring. I'll keep my hopes high, but I'm not putting the snow shovel away quite yet!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I decided to be pessimistic on this one -- I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed!

Selma, AL(Zone 8a)

I vote for an early spring...I've had enough, even if it is mild, winter. The rain is what gets me. I'm about waterlogged.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I voted for Phill to not see his shadow! ofcourse I don't pay any attention anyway.
Philadelphia is a long way from here, Though I could watch the G/Hs in my back yard and come a little closer.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

I guess I'm not in touch enough with my gardening side! I don't keep track of things like this. =)

I "voted" for Phil to see his shadow. However, I've found that no matter if Phil (or whichever rodent you're familar with) sees his shadow or not on February 2nd, spring still takes a minimum of six weeks to arrive.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I want an early spring! I've paid my dues this winter, and I'm ready to clean and plant!!

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

Winter just arrived here two weeks ago!! Of course, it's here to stay. Til at least May. Or something.

Hebron, KY

Voted for Phil seeing his shadow. With all the lights (camera lights, spotlights, news lights) around him, he'll see it. How could he not see it?! lol ;-))

Marilyn

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

I chose It's Not Winter Here. Actually, it is, for here. It won't be for long, though - I'll be planting the beginning of March.

Steve

Ballintleva, Ireland

Can someone please explain this one....is it an American saying....and whats with the rodent reference?
I am used to showing my ignorence in all things gardening....but this one has me "flummoxed" (Uk saying!)

Hebron, KY

WillowandSpike,

I just sent you a Dmail on this subject.

Marilyn

Willow,
Check this out! :~)
http://www.theholidayspot.com/groundhogday/theday.htm

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Actually, here in Georgia, we rely on General Lee.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

He always sees his shadow here, but at least he brings a day of sunshine! I still have winter work to do, so I'm not too unhappy. (I haven't lost all that winter weight yet either!)

Our ground really hasn't frozen hard yet. Arctic weather this weekend, but we could easily have an early spring anyway!

WillowandSpike, Phil is a groundhog, which is a type of rodent.

That link is great!

C.

Albrightsville, PA(Zone 4a)

So there you are, all nice and snuggy in your warm bed. Suddenly the door burst open and some guy in a top hat grabs you by the scruff of your neck and drags you outside of your nice warm home. He hoists you up for all the world to see your exposed underbelly! Shadow heck, the poor guy is so embarassed and scared, of course he runs!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Always good to trust rodents. I said who's Phil, I heard Mickelson has lost weight so maybe his shadow is smaller now.

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

Ah, there is one good choice - Whos Phil.

Ballintleva, Ireland

Thanks to all of you - that's really interesting and I am now fully informed !

I can't wait until the 2nd to see what the weather's like here in Ireland...and how the rest of the winter progresses......although I do know with almost 100% acuracy....it will be raining on the 2nd and raining everyday for the rest of Winter.....and most days in Spring, Summer and Autumn for that matter.

Last year we had two days where it didn't rain - Feb 20th and March 1st....I remember these days vividly as it snowed instead.

The only difference in the seasons here, is not the temperatures....but the quantitiy of rain each season!
Never mind - I suppose it's what makes Ireland green!

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Around these here' parts we only claim Beau is the real deal....

Georgia's weather prognosticator claims 94% accuracy

General Beau Lee, Georgia’s Furry Forecaster, will make his Annual Weather Prediction at the Yellow River Game Ranch on Friday, February 2, 2007. Beau will meet and greet hundreds of bleary-eyed, faithful supporters at sunrise as he seeks his shadow. Free admission will be granted to the groundswell of fans from 6:00 to 8:00 am. Gifts honoring Beau are appropriate.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

He always sees his shadow, so this year, the odds are in favor of him NOT seeing it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Besides, the almanac says a "moderating trend" is coming mid Feb. Yaaahooo!
:)
Deb

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Winter only started here 2 weeks ago and now we have 3 feet of snow! The next 8 weeks will be LONG!!!!!!!!!!

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I voted not winter here even though it is predicted to get down to 32 tonite. Hey its all relative, in upstate NY where I come from it'll likely be -32.

Cardiff, ON(Zone 4a)

Wishful thinking for me that he will see his shadow and that winter will stay for a while. It took so long getting here, I'm in no rush for it to leave. It would be nice if it wasn't quite so cold though.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Dr. Phil? He gets on my nerves.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I live about an hour from Punxsutawney Phil, although I've never braved the crazy crowds to go see him on Groundhog's Day. I've heard too many stories!

Gobbler's Knob is where Phil does his weather predicting. He really doesn't appear as scared as you'd think he might be, from the looks of him he's a very well fed pet and used to being handled.

Check it all out at his official site here...it even has a video of Phil making last year's prediction.
http://www.groundhog.org/

I once heard that there are 5 different Phils they keep on hand...but who knows for sure??

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay, like I really believe Bill can talk, but I'll play along. All I know is that he better not see a darn thing, or I'll be hunting him down! I'm tired of the cold and rain, and my poor chickens are starting to think they're ducks!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Now I know who Bill is, thanks, around here we do not even call him groundhog, it always is a "woodchuck"

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I think he'll see his shadow, but it won't matter to me :-) My guy is Wiarton Willie up here in Ontario. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he'll see his shadow too.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

I don't think he'll see his shadow. Cuz I really don't want him too....................

This message was edited Jan 30, 2007 10:28 AM

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

I think he really won't see his shadow because it is supposed to snow where Phil is, and according to NOAA, we are in for winter for the foreseeable future.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

C'mon lets have spring already!

Weston, WV(Zone 6b)

I believe that since we are just now feeling our winter here that Phil will predict a wait on spring! We just now started getting the freezing temps maybe 2 weeks ago and snow as of this week, which is unusual for this state.
I would love to see spring all year long here, but now i am dreaming!

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I have never heard of Phil..................... must be an american thing i guess!!!

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

=) we don't all follow him mr crocosmia.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.