Feb. Bingo Game

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Guys, I edited the first post so that people will know how to play, and asked that dmails to moretz be sent w/ houseplants in the subject line, and for folks to dmail snboyken if they want to donate a prize. Thanks all of ya'll. (PS, for those that mentioned liking Tropicannas, keep an eye out on the trade page this spring-I have quite a few of them!)

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

dont you mean feb 1st and not jan 1st?

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

oops, thanks moretz-fixed!

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

np just wanted to help lol

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I hope to see lots of pics of these plants, I don't have any of them, I did have Cuban oregano, however lost it. Any idea how many are playing?

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i have cards for 9 people and more in av bingo

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

keep those cards coming

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, keep em coming! I really miss the smell of my Cuban Oregano.......

(Zone 1)

Can someone tell me if this is Cuban Oregano and if it's a Plectranthrus? It was growing in a hanging basket with a lot of other stuff last spring/summer .... everything else has died, but this is still growing. The leaves smell like oregano! Can this be grown continually as a houseplant? Will it live for a long time?

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll try to get some decent photos of the few that I have...

Lin, that definitely looks like a plectranthus, but it is more trailing and has smaller leaves than my big sprawling cuban oregano. I like it!!

As far as I know, plectranthus can be continually grown as a houseplant. I cut my cuban oregano back fairly frequently and have also started anew with it a couple of times by rooting cuttings when I thought the original plant was just too ungainly, so I can't really comment on how long they'll live.

(Zone 1)

Thanks Critter! I did take some cuttings from the large plant and rooted them in another pot. The hanging basket was dumped out in the yard in a corner .... thought for sure it would be dead after our predicted 26-28 degrees last night! But, it ended up only getting down to about 33. The hanging basket plant is real gangly .... everything else in the basket died, but the plectranthrus or whatever it is seems to still be thriving. Well, thriving isn't exactly the right word .... it looks a bit worse for wear right now after being just dumped out in the yard ... but I'm going to cut it back and root more cuttings to see if I can get some more nice plants for spring. Hope you can post some photo's of yours!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Yes plectranthus can be grown as house plant . Lin take cuttings and root in new soil, i use same as soil as av. cut pieces put into soil until last leaf touches soil water warm will root fast.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Here is some our Plectranthrus Cuban Oregano it makes a good socks and shoe plant for taller plants like Plumeiras and a good companion plant for Coleus !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

LOL, well I don't know which I know less about AV's or HP's, but I will give it a go here too.

Susan
=^..^=

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

They are the same family as Colruos
" Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ay) (Info)"
Here is Variegated Cuban Oregano
Plectranthus amboinicus 'Variegatus'
This is the one in my pictures.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/56260/index.html
There is more than one Cuban Oregano but their not all variegated.
There are other plants in this family Lamiaceae , just like there are many plants in the Gesneriad family.
We only have a few Plectranthus but like to have more. Their not exspensive plants and easy to progate and share. They grow so well in the garden beds and suitable for houseplants.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

This thread ia amazing..I am going to play!!! I will get my card in today...thanks for the invite..LOL
JanetS

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Janet ! Nice seeing you. We have AV bingo too I'm playing both you can too :))

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for joining, Janet! Glad to have you in the game!

Allison, the cuban oregano w/ plumeria is very striking-I may have to ask you for design tips this spring and summer!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks ! My Hubby plants things together like decorating and they always grow well together !

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

OK folks-one more day to join and get cards!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Hesitated playing this month but a few friendly nudging d-mails talked me into it.Didn't need to twist my arm too hard.LOL Ohhh this is going to be soo much fun.Hope there are alot of players.I only have one Plectranthus.But I am sure I will want alot more before the game ends.Looking forward to seeing alot of pictures and finding out alot about these beautiful plants.Thanks for hosting Tropicanna and Good Luck Everyone : )
Nancy

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

woohoo!

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Just got my card in so I'm ready :-)

Good luck to everyone!

Sharon

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Prizes are as follows:

1st - $20 Gift Cert (donor - KWZ7NC - snboyken will handle prize)
2nd - $15 Gift Cert (donor - stownes- snboyken will handle to prize)
3rd - Houseplant (donor plantladylin - she will pay shipping and handle prize)
4th - $10 Gift Cert (donor - Nan and snboyken - snboyken will handle the prize)

If more prizes are donated, I will update the list. Thanks.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

I wish Plectranthus cutting were the prizes :)) I know there are others I can dream of having :))

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I wish I didn't keep slaughtering them so I'd have cuttings to put up!LOL!

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I would love to have some cuttings, that would be nice prize wouldn't it.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Oh yes it would be splender @@

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

You know what...that's actually a very *practical* idea, especially w/Plectranthus! (Ü)

I might be able to make that happen...with one type, anyway (the only one I have!)

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Nan donated cuttings a prize and she will pay shipping. I hope I win this one.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Nan, thanks so much! Looks like there's going to be a pretty good chance of getting bingo with the numbers we have here.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

I want that prize too !

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

If I can find the name for my white blooming one and it is a named one I could donate it I have a couple small plants rotting.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

13 cards!!!!!!!!1 keep them coming

Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

I'd like to join in the bingo game. I do not have any plectranthus, so it will be a learning experience for me.

Shirley

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I just sent my card in....Nan, thanks for the "shout".:)))

Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

My card has been submitted.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

May I play?
Patti

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

yes send me your card please

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

I can donate a baby plant of Plectranthus verticillatus
Plectranthus verticillatus - White Flowers
http://onaleeseeds.bizhosting.com/swedish_ivy_plectranthus_verticillatus_white_flowers.html
Plant files
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/1893/
Plectranthus verticillatus
Get your cards in !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.