Time to re-pot ? ?

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info. Now I'm more afraid that I'm going to kill it! LOL

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Heathrjoy ~ I rarely water and we are mostly hot and dry. I can tell by the texture of the bulb when it needs water. It is rare that I fertilize and then dilute it in the water.

Your comment on the glue. What is it they use! Man, I hate that stuff. They glue so the stones don't fall out in shipping or if tipped but you can't see if the soil is saturated or the plant root bound! Never have heard anyone else mention the glue. My thought was YUK the first time I saw that...

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Pod, I know. Glue isn't a good word. Cement is more like it. The really bad thing is trying to get rid of it. I can't imagine what someone would do if they got some kind of infestation under that stuff.

Luckily my cemented stones are coming loose. I don't know what caused it, but I'm glad for it. Maybe having it out in the direct sun all last summer? One side is completely loose so I can easily pull up the other side when it's time. The strange thing is that the glue is almost gooey. The stones come up in chunks and still don't really want to come apart.

Why don't they just tape a bag of stones to the pot and sell them that way? I guess that would make too much sense!

I recently bought a succulent. The decorative pot didn't have a drain hole and was way tooo heavy. It had a dead leaf at the base that I plucked out, ran my finger in the hole and it was saturated. I took a knife and broke out chunks of rock, removed plant and soil and am letting dry out. No more cemented rock. How disgusting. In the heat of summer, I use sphagum moss for mulch in the ponytail but that's it. No rocks.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I think sphag moss would look great under a ponytail. Much more natural. I'll have to remember to do that when I take mine out this summer.

Does anyone know why mine gets a reddish hue when it's outdoors in full sun? Is that a bad thing? It came right back to a nice green when I brought it back inside.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Heather, I suspect it's just happy to get so much sun. A number of plants deepen their color in strong sun.
Andy P

Wow! way to go with all the pics of the ponytails. They all look so healthy! I had one for a few years but lost it to overwatering I bet. Anyway, enjoyed the pics!

Susan

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wow......Sarah!!! Your ponytail is awesome and so is everyone elses!!

I seem to kill the little ones I get. I must be overwatering them..sniff, sniff. But I did get a much bigger one in a trade and it's doing great!

:) Donna

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

When I start new plants I place 3 or 4 in a 6 inch pot. They fill in quickly and make babies in about a year. They don't rot because I neglect them, they get pretty dry before I remember to water them.
These are a few years old.
Andy P

What's wrong with me? I posted this in the wrong thread, duh...

This message was edited Feb 1, 2007 6:13 PM

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

Andy ~ do you keep a couple windows open at the same time? I do and have been guilty of forgetting which thread... Least that's what I want to blame it on... LOL

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I used the "Back" button a couple too many times, lol.
Andy P

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Mine got knocked over yesterday. One of the cats tried to climb the plant stand. It never left the pot and nothing got broken, thank goodness!

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

KB, that's a beautiful stand and the plant fits it well. Is it in a pot in the planter?
Andy P

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you. Yes, it is in a pot inside the planter. And it came with a bronze-colored metal tray that fits on the top if you want to use it like a pedestal. A local nursery had it. They had another shorter one, too.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

kbaumle your plant and stand look fantastic together!
:) Donna

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

KB, I agree w/ what every else has said! Very stately looking...would imagine seeing it in a palace! Do you live in a palace? lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.