best low maintenance houseplants, NOT air plants

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Who would like to make their nominations for the best choices for low maintenance, attractive houseplants?
I am really pleased with Peperomia obtusifolia as a houseplant. It takes low light, never wilts, grows slowly, roots from cuttings easily, and is good looking. I'm not the best caregiver, and mine never looks sick. even in any old pot and soil.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

so i guess my air fern doesn't count. hmm... my favorite low maintenance plant, (well, i just started) but i love rooting clippings in jars, fun to watch the growth, never need water after filling the first jar, i wonder if they'd survive forever there without soil. i think i feel an experiment coming on!

great thread!
stephanie

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Mine would be the Golden Pothos.

I have to second that - Golden Pothos. Look good, grow quickly, take low light very well. Don't mind drying out completely. Snake plants are also a good choice, and dracaenas (most varieties). ZZ plants seem to also do well with low light. And are as easy as pothos, in my opinion.

Yes Golden Pothos is excellent too. Only wilts reluctantly, unlike some others which wilt or get yellow leaves more easily. (aspragus fern messy, spath wilted a lot cuz I could only go once a week and no one else was brave enough to touch it.)
I maintain some plants in a school media center and pothos, shefflera and my peperomia are all tough.
Snake plants though tough, I think are sort of ungraceful, IMHO, unless some newer ones have come out. Must like that snake plants never wilt either(that I remember) My dad once had a shorter one which I liked better than the tall ones I had 20 plus years ago.
What is ZZ plant? not familiar with that nickname....

edit- not knocking the air plant !! just thought we might bring up some next best choices!!

This message was edited Jan 19, 2007 5:16 PM

I had absolutely no problem with my snake plant......was very easy to take care of. Then, I put it on top of the fridge for December so I could put out Christmas decorations on my entertainment center....where the snake plant usually was. When I moved the snake plant back, I realized that is starting to die. I've had this plant for well over 10 years! Does anyone know why it might have started to die?

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

I have to agree, Pothos is a very easy plant to grow. I have several, one that I've had for about 8 years, and it's huge and keeps on growing! I keep it in low light and it does great. I also have good luck with my Philodendron, the one with the green, heart-shaped leaves similar to Pothos. The one I have keeps on growing all year round. I have several snake plants too that do extremely well. All three of these have done the best for me so far.

mgh: You snake plant could have gotten too hot from sitting on the fridge. Snake plants don't like a lot of water either, and with mine, I haven't watered them in a good two months or more now and they still look good. My snake plants get anywhere from low light to filtered light in my apartment, and they are fine. The only way I've killed leaves on my snake plants is by getting them wet, then only a leaf or two rots and the rest of the plant is fine. I still think maybe the heat from your fridge is what you plant didn't like.

My I've had my golden pothos since I was in high school.....that was at least 18 years ago. I keep it trimmed because my DS pulled it down from the bookshelf one time when it got really long. He (and I) was lucky the pot didn't hit him in the head since it is in a terra cotta pot.

I think you are right about the heat from the fridge. I'm glad I got it down from there. I won't do that again! I hope it will live.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

i was thinking the same thing, heat rises, and in the kitchen it can get hot.
hope it pulls through.
maybe take some cuttings now just in case.
stephanie

(Zone 1)

I love the Pothos, both the golden and white variegated ones. And, my Aglaonema/Chinese Evergreen .... loves low light and water every other week, very easy to grow! Very Low Maintenance Plants!

mgh: I agree with everyone regarding your Sansevieria/Snake Plant .... the top of the frig and also the top of the television are two places plants do not do well .... Too much heat generated from them! You might try taking your plant out of the soil and re potting in fresh soil. "Sans" are pretty tough plants! I have a Sansevieria trifasciata that my mother gave me 20 years ago .... still going strong! I also have a Birds Nest Sans that I've had at least 15 years and it is root bound .... but happy as can be! I neglect these plants and forget to water them for weeks at a time and they still hang in there! So, there is hope for your Snake Plant .... keep us posted!

Lin

Hollywood, CA(Zone 9b)

My vote would go for calathea (several species). They don't need a lot of light, but need some. They actually like to dry out some between waterings and most species are beautiful. They are fairly slow growers, which can be a good thing.

Lonny

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have had really good luck with Monstera, African Violets, pothos, spider plants, some ivy, Episcia (which I let die when we moved. WOE! is me!), wandering Jew, Pothos, Philos and probably a few more I can't think of. OH! I have several in a plastic window box in my daughter's room right now that I took outside for the summer. I think there is a Diffenbachia, Sansiveria, lime zinger Xanthosoma, Aloe and some other odds and ends. As mentioned, I did kill my Chocolate Soldier and African Violets when we moved. I stuck them on a shelf and forgot. When I found them they were dried up and brown. :(

(Zone 1)

Yes .... I love Calathea's too! Haven't had one in a very long time, but am on the lookout after seeing some of the beautiful photo's other DG'ers have posted of theirs!

Lin

How do I take cuttings from it? I don't know how long I have had this plant, but it's been a really long time. It was in a smaller pot and extremely root bound.....I read somewhere that it liked that. I repotted it though and it bloomed for me. I didn't even know these things bloomed! LOL This is the first time I've ever had a problem with it.

I used to always have a peace lily on my fridge, but my DH and I went on vacation for a few weeks last summer and the caretaker forgot about it. I tried to save it, but it was too far gone. Before that happened, I never had a problem with it being on the fridge.....it really seemed to like it there.

Aaaacccckk!!! I knew it was going to be dangerous for me to visit this forum!! Now I want to go out and buy all these beauties! I don't have room for them though! ;o)

(Zone 1)

Wow! I am amazed that any plant would survive on top of a frig!

Don't know what Stephanie means about taking "cuttings" from a Sansevieria. Usually propagation is by division of the rhizomes/tuber things.

Hey Stephanie: Can you cut the top off and root it? I've never tried that, maybe I should experiment!

Lin

I kind of thought I should divide it instead take a cutting, but I wasn't sure. It seems like it should be easy to divide.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

plantladylin - yes, all you do is cut one of the lea ves, even in several spots, slice one up. mark the top so you don't loose track, then simply put the bottom end in the soil. you can use root hormone too. here's a link :

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/greenhouse/nursery/guides/ornamentals/prop.html

Thumbnail by sjonesartist
Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

here's anothe rlink:
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/houseplants/propagation_cuttings.html

i have a plantepedia that shows a great diagram of how it grows, it starts to get roots under the soil, then from those roots, a new leaf forms and pops up in a different spot in the soil.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

here's anothe rlink:
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/houseplants/propagation_cuttings.html

i have a plantepedia that shows a great diagram of how it grows, it starts to get roots under the soil, then from those roots, a new leaf forms and pops up in a different spot in the soil.

and another link: http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/houseplants/propagation_cuttings.html

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

this one has a great pic too.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0802/leaf_cutting.asp

(Zone 1)

Stephanie: Wow .... Thank you so much for that link and information! I have been gardening both outside and with houseplants for almost 40 years .... goes to show, even us "old" folks can learn something new!
That's some really great Information! I'm printing it out!

Isn't Dave's Garden a Wonderful place to visit?

Lin

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

yes, its terrific, but my 10 year son is now calling me a plant-a-holic.
:)
not that thats a bad thing.
stephanie

(Zone 1)

Stephanie: Not a bad thing at all and you will find so many generous folks here on DG. What type of plants are you interested in? Anything in particular? I have tons of plants, having been a "Plantaholic" myself for almost 40 years! I remember my first houseplant when I was 19 years old. A neighbor gave me my very first plant, a philodendron .... and I was Hooked! No one in my family was into gardening or plants .... all three of my sisters like plants, but aren't really into the gardening thing like I am!

You need to get your young son interested. Give him a plant for his room and let him take care of it ... great learning experience. I don't know too much about the carnivorous plants like the Venus Fly Trap or the Pitcher Plant, but I've heard that kids REALLY love those cause they can feed them bugs! Catch a fly or gnat or ant and put it on the plant and it will eat the critter!

Nice chatting with you and again .... WELCOME TO DAVE'S!

Lin

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

yes, we actually got him a venus fly trap TODAY at home depot. small ones were $4 or so. and he helped me cut some ivy pieces that we have in jars to root , started this week, we are going to post pics each week to compare growth.
we planted seeds outside last summer and he had fun watching those grow as well. i don't remember what flowers, but he planted them in a big T J shape for his initiatls . when they came up they looked like weeds, but kept the TJ shape. he was excited. we should have taken pictures. they looked best when they just strarted to sprout.
stephanie

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I want to point out real quick that cuttings of a variegated snake plant produce unvariegated babies.

(Zone 1)

Oh that is soooo cute! Letters in the shape of his initials! Kids would love that! I bet he has a blast with the Venus Fly Trap too! Great way to get a boy interested in gardening! AND, I bet before long, all of his friends are gonna be asking their parents to get them one! Let him take a picture of it and post it on here!

Lin

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

cjolene, the pic i posted above made variegated babies i think.

(Zone 1)

Thanks Cjolene .... My Sans are all variegated and I want a solid green variety, so I think I will try it!

I have a large Variegated Hibiscus in the yard that years ago had real pretty pale pink flowers, but after transplanting it to a different location in the yard it reverted to a solid coral color flower! I was really surprised, but found out that some plants will do that with age too. I think I read that they will go back to what it was crossed with - the "original" plant. I liked the pale pink flowers so much better, but what can ya do?!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

You know there are a lot of cool Very Low Maintenance Plants!
Night Blooming Cerus Plant is the coolest Very Low Maintenance Plants!
Also know as Queen of the Night ! We grow our's outside here year round but before my tiny cutting our plant grew inside in New Englad States for well over a hunded years. It came from my Great, Great Grandmother. It can grow in a hanging basket, on a shelf, on top of hutch, anywhere you place it it will be Happy. It will scamper aloong your floor. The flowers are amazing. Out tiny 4 inch pot cutting started blooming the first year and blooms for us dozens of times a year. This long pink rubbery arms comes out and this pink rubbery bud forms. When they open the have the sweetest Vamillia fragrance. The bloom is so large you need two wide open hands to cuddle it ! It's so fancy and detail I have never experienced a plant so amazing as Night Blooming Cerus . Wanting Exotic , Fun, Fascinating Very Low Maintenance Plants! Try this plant ! You can see it in Plant Files it's the number one plant !

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Night-blooming Cereus, Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe Cactus
Epiphyllum oxypetalum

Queen of the Night ~ There is no other plant/blossoms so Spectacular as this one .
Grows well in small pots likes to be pot bound. Needs very little care little water once in a while.

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

very stunning bloom! thanks for sharing.
stephanie

(Zone 1)

Allison: What a Beauty! I have a large one that was given to me as a small plant back in the mid 70's and it has always been outside in a pot. My bloom looks a bit different (from what I remember) than yours, but I guess there are some different ones. I might just have to go out today and take a cutting to root and keep inside! I've never enjoyed this plant that much because it is out in the back yard, way in the back ... so blooming at night, we never enjoy the beautiful bloom or fragrance!

You are so kind to share so much of your knowledge with all of us here on DG! I truly appreciate you!

Lin

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks when I got it I never knew how amazing it would be. I have given doznes of cuttings away and small plants !
Look at it here in Plant Files. It's number " ONE" in list of top ten plants !
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2443/index.html
Another plant I have I bought a small 2 inch pot of a Eyelash Begonia about 3,4 years ago. Before long it was in a 12 inch pot and hung in the corner of our garden room not in a window back toward a wall. It got light that came in from the windows though it was not in front.
It grew beautiful ! It has only been water when dry . I've given several cuttings away and last Spring plants few clumps outside in our garden bed doing great even threw Winter.
Let me see if I can find a picture. It has surly been low maintenance houseplant !!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

My Eyelash Begonia low maintenance houseplant there really are so many ! Here in our home their low maintenance all of them we would have no other type HEhehe "))
Has grown carefree from 2 inch pot I bought on Ebay now about 4 years. Grew several more large plants from it now growing outside garden beds still carefree !
I have some other Begonias growing carefree too. Like Edge of Sunset, and Strawberries N Cream :))
Lin Night Blooming Cerus would be fun to grow in your pool area too ! And stick a piece to root under a tree ! I think I'll start a couple more for inside and on our porch !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
(Zone 1)

Allison: Very pretty! I never heard of 'Eyelash Begonia' before....Love it!

You think the Night Blooming Cereus would do well in the pool area? I thought they needed full shade? My large one has always been in full shade in the pot in the backyard! Our pool area is screened in but gets hot sun all day long. I have some cuttings that I got in trade that are labeled NB Cereus or Queen of the Night .... Maybe I will move one or two inside to see how they like it! It would be wonderful if they would grow and thrive inside and I could enjoy that beautiful flower and fragrance indoors!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I have this Queen of the Night as well. I thought they preferred filtered sun. Well, mine likes it. I also have cuttings of Sound of Music and a yellow one- can't recall the name from the top of my head...I can't wait to see them bloom but I think it'll still be a while yet. They're very small still. ; (

sjonesartist- in the picture you posted, the baby plant has lost its variegation...the yellow edges

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

First Venus flytraps bought now may seem easy but they will require a dormant period next fal-winter. Either a cool basement or attic or refridgerator. Mine are in the fridge, they come out around valentines day. They are fun plants! They are NOT terrariums plants by the way either. Use rain or distilled water only on them and give them FULL sun.

As far as low maintenance my vote goes for several:

Pothos
Ivy (needs an occassional trim is all)
Spider plants
ZZ plant (VERY slow grower!)
Parlor palm
Schlumbergia (xmas or thanksgiving cactus)

Tom

tommyr- you must be better than me. I have lost ivies. Also trouble with xmas/tg cactus, but my dad has a huge one, so I guess some depends on your plant being the right choice for your spot.
I still say if you see a Peperomia obtusifolia, (needs a nickname!) try it. Where ever I put it , it looks good.

(Zone 1)

I used to have trouble with the Christmas Cactus .... always dying on me. Then, I began to ignore them. Now, I have about half a dozen that I've had for maybe 8 years and they bloom every year and are easy and beautiful. I used to water my plants to death, now I keep everything on the dry side!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.