shelves for windows.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Very nice! You don't often see them with such long stems.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

These are certainly not shelves but my solution to hanging lots of plants in front of windows. In my kitchen (and in my back porch and a bathroom with south windows also) I have a long pole on shelf supports running the full length of the windows. The shelf supports actually have two hooks on the end so the pole runs thru one and I can hang plants from the other. I also put metal shower curtain hooks on the rod between each support for more plants.
Last winter I needed space for a lot of small plants so I took a small shelf I had, put small eye hooks around the perimeter and ran length of strong leather thru the eye hooks with enough to make a hanger on each end. You could use chain too of course but running it all around the perimeter created an edge so the pots could not fall off. You could make a series of shelves this way - one haning below the other all the way down the window but of course it would get heavy and you wold need to ensure the ceiling hooks are strong

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is the hanging shelf.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Both very nice - great ideas!

I love the pole...should see if I could get DH to do that for me!!
So you've used just shelf brackets and a long wooden dowell/pole?

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

fancy van - LOVE IT>
so many unique options. stephanie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nan now I think about it (they have been there for about 10 years) I think they were sold as plant hangers, not regular shelf supports.
Here's a close up. (never did get around to painting that pole and obviously dont clean the brackets very often either!)

This message was edited Jan 24, 2007 2:33 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Aha! Yes..I've seen those before!
(Don't worry...I'd be the last person to comment on another's cleaning habits!) LOL!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

fancy van love them !

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Fancyvan, That's a great idea. Not much different than a clothes closet hanger, long enough of a screw into a 2x4 in the wall, and you could load that puppy up. Already can picture the different levels to stage the plants on the pole.
Ghia_girl, copied your photo to show the gf for our living room. Don't have room for a table, so that shelf would not only work very well, it looks great.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

vacap - yes you could put a lot on - layering plants at different levels. I got the idea from a commercial item that was available back in the 60's that had a lot of different attachments - hoops, shelves etc all of which could be hung in a variety of ways. I dont layer in the kitchen because the ceiling in that area is a bit low and I have a rocker by the window and the dogs feeding dishes are there - have occasionally hit my head on a plant when straightening up!

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi sjones, at HD I found pre-finished hardwood shelves with pretty brackets to make a shelf in my dining room (has a southern window, but since it is a formal room where we entertain, had to keep things looking nice). Total cost was about $24, and I use paste wax on the shelf to keep it moisture-resistant. Wood comes in a few colors too, so you can match your trim or furniture. A plus for me- there's a heat-duct right below the window, so it makes a good place for the cacti and succulents that like things warm and dry.

(Zone 1)

Fancyvan: What a great idea! That would really work for me. My husband is always hollering at me for hanging my plants on the curtain rods, telling me they are gonna pull out of the wall with all the weight I keep putting on them! I only hang them on the curtain rods when we have cold weather down here for a day or two, and I have to drag them inside! Like tonight .... supposed to be 37 degrees here tonight! And, this is Florida!

Thanks for posting this great idea and your photo's! I think I could even hang these without help of my DH .... I have my own cordless drill ... and I know EXACTLY where in the plant department of the local stores to buy the brackets! And, we have some poles left over from when DH re-did our closets ... perfect!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Be sure to get some metal shower curtain hangers and put a few on the rod between each support - they will hold plants quite nicely - double up if it is heavy.

Incidentally my rods go all the way across the room so in order to get it up had to have the holes drilled for the bracket screws and then slide the brackets on the rod and then put up - needed 2 people

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

i got 'shelves' Today!
went to Lowes, and bought 2 pieces of laminate shelving, no brackets, and i simply laid them atop my dogs crate. (she was in the crate while i went shopping and set them up...please don't think i lock my dog up all day.)
anyway, i love them. i couldn't use brackets because the dogs crates are in the way, she has the large one (that she's in) downstairs against the wall under one window.
and a slightly smaller one upstairs.
lowes had white, or this wood color. they perfect for my space and my needs.

Thumbnail by sjonesartist
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Those are very nice ! Nice window you have there ! We take oyr Precious to Lowes she loves shopping !

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

Allison_FL
i love your pots with the legs very cooooooool lol

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

and the upstairs shelf....

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

and the top view

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Heh I was thinking that's a big big dog ! What is he stands up and shakes or something will the plants and shelf fall ?
Thanks Moetz Eunice "Starfly" bought me a set of three of them and some othere cute ones that are big bright colorful gardenglove hands !
She wanted to Thank me for sending her so many plants. She's a sweety.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

she's small, was a 'runt' . only 40 lbs. (her mom was 65 lbs.) this one is full grown the vet said that's it.
she's calm in her crate... but i can't put anything that would hang down, she'd chew it up.
because the crate is like a grate ontop she really can't tip it.
should work well for my needs.
when i get my house and we move someday... i'll get shelf brackets for the shelves or something.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

dog crates are so handy! I have a large one in the kitchen and put some boards on top and all the dog food and other things get put there (I have a very small ikitchen) .
I know somebody who had the hard shell crates and her husband made wood tops for them and they were used as sofa end tables!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Wow so neat. And look at those two little cuties. We've never used crates before but they sure come in handy in decorating !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.