shelves for windows.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

my townhouse has a great amount of windows... and i've put hooks in the ceiling to hang plants. i want to get or build somekind of sheving to go infront of the windows for all my small rootings and such. can people post pictures of shelves they've made or bought (if bought with a link to the store?)
i saw shelves for box /bay windows, but my windows are just normal flush with the wall windows.
a bakers rack would work nice, but i don't have the room.
i may just get shelf brackets and laminate shelving but i'm worried it may look cheesy. maybe glass shelves....hmm.
stephanie

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Target has affordable shelving units in various sizes, the wire ones would probably work best because light could filter down to the lower shelves, but they also sell ones black, white, or wood grain laminate.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

i saw these shelves at this link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94247
but its over $100 .

i'll keep searching ffor something similar.

Thumbnail by sjonesartist
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

shelves for windows.

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

,,m shelves for windows.

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I had the glass ones up north. There were great.... no shadows on lower plants. But, and I say BUT. what a B to keep clean.

Peace.

Hap

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

My Hubby makes mine . The bottom are 10 ft long by 6 or 8 I forget I think he used nice pine they cut it to size for him at Lowes. He uses the pretty white medal hanger things under them. Then the top shelves he made out of plexie glass I love them and less chance of any breakage.
Esit to say he coated the wood natural so they can be wiped down. He sometimes paints them to match the room and coat clear to.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2007 6:54 AM

(Zone 1)

Hey Allison .... Can I borrow your Hubby for some shelf building?! Nice Job! Love them! I want them!

My DH is very handy too .... but with his teaching full time at the University, projects around here get put on hold! Being a Teacher, he is off a lot, a couple of months during the summer, and three weeks over Christmas Holidays, and a week during Spring Break .... but my "Honey Do" List is always a mile or two long and I'm ALWAYS thinking of more stuff to add to it, so it's never done! LOL.

Beautiful Shelves for your Lovely Plants!

Lin

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks Lin ! I just love growing plants in windows :))

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I got a great idea for easy do it yourself shelves from a great lady on GW.

If *I* did them myself, anyone can!
They involved pre-cut white coated boards purchased at the hardware store, chain and cuphooks...that's it. No saws, hammers, drills, etc...

I'll try to get a photo this weekend....they're at home, and I'm not.

(Zone 1)

Oh Nan ... I hope you can get photo's this weekend to post Monday! Sounds like a great idea and something I could do myself, without having to put it on my "Honey Do" List! I'm assuming you screw the little cup hooks into each of the four corners of the boards and use the chains to hang them? I definately want to give that a try! I'm off to my local Wal-Mart .... Bye!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I'll *try* to remember, lol!!

Actually, you 'set' one edge of the board onto your existing window sill, then use the chains/hooks to hang and support the front/outer edge of the board....you'll see when I get the photo.

Another great post!!
Allison,I love your cute little plant rooting jars.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks Colie ! How did your little carrot crom's do ? And your baby Bromelaids !

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

nan, so they were like suspended shelving? that sounds very cool.
can't wait to see your pictures.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Something like that...sjones...It's hard to explain so you can actually 'visualize' it.....
It's actually more of a 'window ledge extender'...but it's a shelf.
The photos will explain it best so I'll try to get them over the weekend.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2007 4:13 PM

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

great, can't wait to see! stephanie

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

this was interesting... found these online at this link: http://www.planthanger.com/planthangers.php

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

looks like wire, with springs around the plant pot top.
the pictures are small, but thhey are all the site had. here's a better link, showing the product, and how it works, pretty cool.

http://www.planthanger.com/howitworks.php

This message was edited Jan 19, 2007 10:11 PM

This message was edited Jan 19, 2007 10:11 PM

(Zone 1)

Very interesting! Might have to get one of those to try!

Thanks for that link!

Allison,they look great.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

These are laminate shelving with brackets from lowes. They don't hold a lot but I get to use the only window in our living room for something.

Thumbnail by ghia_girl
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Allison your DH did a fantastic job on the selves!

ghia_girl, great job on yours to!!

Last year I went to the Dollar store and bought the chain hangers and a metal stand and made a hanger that was cheap. I can't remember but someone on Daves had posted this. I was even able to hang it from another find that I had gotten at a used store.
:) Donna

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks Colie and Donna :))

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Ghia_girl, great looking shelf. Really love the look! Also love the color of your walls. That is the color I have been looking for for my kitchen! Do you happen to know the brand and the name of the color? Very rich looking! Allison love the shelves on your windows. Looks like the blinds are behind the shelves and that you can still raise them up and down? Nice looking plants too. The pots with "legs" look very interesting.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2007 7:16 PM

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

staceysmom - The color was from lowes, American Tradition, signature colors satin yellow frost. However, the picture make the walls look warmer than they are. They are bright and cool. We have a very small living room and we needed something light and airy(sp).

(Zone 1)

Ghia_Girl: Love your plant shelf .... and those Amaryllis! So very pretty in the window! I just had a beautiful Red Amaryllis ( a bulb given to me as a Christmas gift) blown off the brick wall by my front door .... smashed all over the sidewalk. I cut the flowers off and they are floating in water so I can enjoy them. I re-potted the bulb in another container. I have a couple growing in the ground and also a couple that I put in vases with water. Hopefully I will have more blooms soon!

I just love how your shelf looks in front of that window ..... I could see hooks in the ceiling with baskets hanging there too!

Really pretty! And, I like the color of the walls a lot too!

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks ghia_girl! I'll go and check it out. We just got a new Lowe's store near us. Going to have to talk to my DH and see about those shelves also. Love the brackets you used.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

ghia girl, i may do the same.
thanks! Stephanie

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I hope you can get the idea with the photos that follow.

These windows are in my laundry room in the basement.
They're at 'head level', but have a great western exposure and had very narrow sills, so I needed to make more sill space during the winter for cacti/succulents and chose this method when someone (Joyce, I think?) on GW had posted her photos of them.

You can see, I think, that the 'shelf' is resting on the existing window sill, extending it by a good 8" (whatever the width of the board is...I don't recall)
Please forgive my cobwebs. (Ü)

I'll post a sequence of photos showing the different aspects that make up the shelf.

Thumbnail by Nan
(Zone 1)

Oh, I like that Nan ... great idea for hanging shelves. Now, I have a plan ....... LOL. Need to go buy the wood and the hooks and the chains!

Thanks Lots for that great idea!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Another view

Thumbnail by Nan
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

And another....

Thumbnail by Nan
Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

nan, very nice, so the back side of the shelf is sitting on a small ledge/sill?
looks good. i have no window sills. :( maybe when i get a house.
stephanie...

OH, and my ivy cutting started to get roots!!! only after 5 days in plain water. none of the others though...yet. maybe its becuase i put this one in my prettiest jar. :)

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

This isn't my home but a friend's. They have hanging pots and overhead shelves in their covered front porch. Almost every available space in this room is used for plants.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
(Zone 1)

My kinda porch ... Having Plants everywhere, even hanging from the rafters! : ) My Dream Porch!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Love those ivy roots !!
HMCDOLE WOW !! Love the porch I betternot even go there our home now has a screen porch 24 ft x 12 ft. Though it has TV with cable for hubby, furniture, few plant stands and several starts , and Begonias happy, Chiritas, Elephant ears and more in there it would be very easy to go crazy :))
nan those shelves are cool. Do you need a specil ledge on windows ? One picture looked like the endof shelf went into thewal, some ?
Oh how I love window shelves !

Here is something else they have in the same room - lots of begonias in terrariums.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Right, Stephanie...the back end of the shelf rests on the sill, therefore supports most of the weight of the plants.
Good on the rooting!
You know, even though it's said that Ivy is 'easy' to root in water, I've found that's not always the case!

I agree...my kinda porch! I only wish I had one large enough to do something like that.

Are those Schlumbergera in the foreground? Are the 'stems' as long as they appear to be in the photo?

Yes, those are Xmas cacti. The stems are fairly long.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.